disengaging from the management rail
[html]

Truthfully, Unatsi knew little of other lands and other languages, and his trip to Nova Scotia had definitely schooled him in that area. Io alone spoke quite a few languages, with English and Cherokee apparently being only secondary ones to her native tongue. It was maybe fascinating, but it also served to make the world a much more confusing place. Una thought life would be a lot easier if everyone spoke the same language and lived on the same continent, because he didn’t think he liked this whole “across the sea” business. It made it very hard to travel—what did they do, swim? Paddle in little boats? The thought was laughable.

“You did?” the red wolf asked, perking up after nodding a few times to everything else Harvey had said. Once he mentioned having heard of AniWaya, though, the man was alert and curious. What had others told him about it? Was it good, or bad? More importantly—was it all wrong? Had he gotten the information from a reliable source (like the farmer himself) or another outsider? His eyes lit up, even if he didn’t know what he’d do about any answer he received. He guessed he’d try to set Harvey straight, because he did like to talk about his Tribe, whether in praise or rant.

“Yes, it’s always good to master another language—makes communication more straightforward, you know, since you’ve got a whole slew of tongues to talk to someone.” He shook his head. “But no, I don’t think your English is ugly. I mean, maybe it isn’t right for here, but it’s probably right from where you came from, and all the other Nova Scotians or whatever you call them probably speak wrong from where you lived. I think.” He cocked his head, shrugging his shoulders the best he could in his lupus form. It wasn’t something he talked about often, and he was pretty ambivalent about the whole speech business. It wasn’t nice to make fun of someone for what they couldn’t control.

When the merle dog gave him the go-ahead to keep chatting, Unatsikanogeni smiled. He tilted his head again, trying to think of another question, and managed a relatively obvious one. “What was it like where you came from?”

Word Count → 377

<style>
.redlayy {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/HDevC.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top left; background-color:#060606; width:98%; max-width:600px; margin:0px auto; padding:175px 0px 5px 0px; color:#C4A791; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia;font-size:13px; line-height:16px; word-spacing:.3px; border:5px solid #fff;}
.redlayy .input {background-color:#060606; opacity:0.6; margin:0px 10px;}
.redlayy b {color:#5A5225; font-weight:normal;}
.redlayy p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px; margin:0px;}
.redlayy p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; border-top:1px dotted #5A5225; margin:15px 15px 0px;}
.redlayy .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; font-size:11px; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; float:right; margin:20px;}</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread