Want you to hold my hand
[html]
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292 ... rtable.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

WC: 750

Ink smiled easily, revealing that he was a friend and new recruit of Teme. Coli knew Saul's son had recently moved into his own house, in the same clearing as hers, so that must be why Ink was nearby. They were some sort of neighbors now, it seemed. "I'm glad Temeraire has a friend his age -- has he introduced you to Elias Rosen yet? You three would all get along well, I'm sure," she said, more hopeful than anything else. She knew it was stressful being new to a pack, trying to find a niche to make oneself useful, looking for any kind of acceptance and companionship. At least youngsters had it a little easier, everyone wanted to pitch in and help them out. Joining as an adult was dreadful, all those personal questions to test one's worth... She shuddered, hoping she would never have to leave Vinátta and undergo that scrutiny again.

The unlikely duo began walking in tandem, moving from the hidden village into the thick coniferous forest that perfumed their pack with pine needles. Coli smiled knowingly when he spoke of his unpreparedness, the hunger he endured while traveling. The youth still looked thin and drawn, a leanness she was well-acquainted with. "I was a yearling when I started living on my own, and I could barely keep myself going. It's hard to get started, because the hungrier you are, the less energy you have to hunt with... It's safer in a pack, someone can help you if you really need it." She cast him a friendly glance, a silent thanks for his easygoing company. She wasn't sure if he was helping her, or she was helping him, but even if their luck failed them, at least they had a pleasant conversation on the way there.

Then he asked her the question so gently, so hesitantly, that it was hard to deny him the answer she dreaded to give. "Oh..." Coli bit her lip, conflicted. It really shouldn't be a secret -- she needed to start telling her packmates now, so that it wouldn't be troublesome later when the pups arrived. It was shameful, though, to bear children against her will to a man she did not know. She had no mate to help her, and that was why she was struggling to hunt like this -- what little scrap of dignity she had left wouldn't allow her to ask for charity, even if it would soon be a necessity. "Ink, I... I'm actually expecting, I'm going to be a mother," she admitted listlessly, pushing the cloak open to reveal the roundness of her belly. It was still small, but the changes were happening too quickly for her to keep up with. It was difficult to wrap her mind around it. "So I can't shift forms without risking my health and, and theirs," she added softly. It was her duty to keep them safe, to feed them, to protect them. But she did not feel anything other than the obligation; she wasn't excited or happy, and she didn't love them. And didn't that just make her the worst person in the world? Blue eyes lingered on the protruding bump, before looking away into the forest. "Not many of our packmates know yet, so... it should probably stay between us." It wasn't a command, just a quiet hope. Coli would prefer if no one ever knew, but that was impossible.

A short silence settled over them as they walked, until Coli spoke up again. "Here, this might be a good spot." The pine trees soared high above them, pale morning light filtering through the canopy of needles. There were scattered pine cones on the ground, neatly stripped by sharp rodent teeth, that Coli pointed to. "Squirrels live all through these forests, and it's easiest to find them on the ground in the mornings. They usually stay in family groups, so... there, see that ball of twigs and bark? That's probably a squirrel nest, or drey..." The small werewolf pursed her lips, listening quietly to the area. Finding them was the easy part, with their superior canine noses and intelligence. But the trick to hunting was lulling their prey into a false sense of security. They would need to conceal themselves somewhere, and formulate their plan. She thought it would be easier to go after squirrels, to corral them away from the trees, than to try and chase burrowing creatures like lemmings and gophers. She hoped, anyway.

Stock photo credit: ArrsistableStock@deviantART
[/html]

Messages In This Thread