I shot an arrow in the air
[html] The groggy, cinnamon-coated girl focused carefully on her shot, though her ears did detect the approach of another. A final breathe and the shot was aligned. Fingers released. The bowstring 'thwacked.' And Cassia sent the arrow to its destination, nestled just beside the right side of the branch. She could have turned and greeted the stranger who had paused to watch her, but whoever it was seemed content to wait for another moment and the Calidus girl was too focused to risk breaking her concentration. If she did not execute at the top of her form then she would have to repeat the exercise to let herself get back to sleep. Even a conversation with the stranger would be enjoyable for her brain would be settled enough to return to rest whenever that dialogue ended.

So, without further delay and with a practiced, fluid motion the huntress notched and drew another arrow before sending it on its way. The arrow struck the stump to the left of the stick, parallel to the first, but close enough to hold the branch in place. This had been how Cassia had learned to satisfy the requirements of the drill while ensuring her success. At the point in her training when her instructors had instituted this routine she had grown confident enough in her accuracy to be able to place an arrow within an inch of its destination even on her worst of days. As such, the two seeming "misses" were designed to hold the branch in place where the next three arrows could comfortably strike the limb without moving it. Once satisfied that her restless mind would soon be settled the mahogany maned wolfess fired three more arrows, in rapid-fire succession, from her bow, striking the branch up and down its length with each bowl. The entire exercise probably took all of one minute, but that quick, ritualized practice session had been regimentally driven into the young wolfess from her puphood. Now, once she had met and conversed with her fellow Vinattan, she could go to sleep.

Turning where she stood, sea green gaze quickly found the young male leaning against a nearby tree. "Good morning, sir--" a yawn broke her greeting mid-thought, leading her to bring her hand up to politely cover her open mouth. When the unintended yawn had passed, Cassia continued, "Pardon me, I fear my body wishes me to return to bed, but I could not help but say hello, especially after you paused and watched me practice," she explained, smiling as she closed the small distance between herself and the pale-hued male. With the few steps she took she also swung her bow over her shoulder to let it slide into its straps on her quiver. She would retrieve her arrows in a moment, once the initial greetings were exhanged. It would not be as rude to return for her arrows after she had introduced herself to the male than before. Conversation could be continued while she collected the hand crafted missiles, but she could not just leave them there stuck in the wood. Truthfully she was interested in what this male had to say. The only other of her packmates she had met had been Lilin on her and Oak's first day. This male would be the second person she had introduced herself to in Vinatta.[/html]

Messages In This Thread