Post Lengths
My word counts are everywhere. What I write changes every time, but I average around 300 or so words -- sometimes more, sometimes a little less than that.

I dislike feeling the need to write a novel (unless it's for SoSuWriMo or something, haha) when I feel that fewer words would work, too. That said, I do like to embellish my posts with scenery and emotion and other tidbits that you wouldn't include when, say, writing an actual book. This means that, depending on how emotionally charged a situation is, or how much my character wants to speculate on a situation, my word count can easily leap up to 600 to 700 words. Unless it is an epic scene, though, with NPC interaction or a dream or something similar, I rarely go above that.

Generally, I don't mind my partner's post length -- as long as they properly respond to everything in my post. If a player ignores my character's dialogue or actions in favor of scribbling down a 100-word reply that only acknowledges part of my post, I get frustrated. (This is also fully capable of happening in a longer reply, obviously, but I've seen it more often in the short example.)

The only time I really dislike long posts is when the player is obviously just rambling on and on at length about everything but the action. I can't really think of a situation where this happened, though. Usually I run into long posts when Sie writes some lovely 700-word prose and apologies for it pointing out I can skip to last paragraph and I read it all anyway to spite her. 8D

Overall -- I don't care about length? It takes a long time to read a long post when a short one could suffice, but some long posts are well written and enjoyable to read anyway. Smile

Messages In This Thread