A momentary retreat
[html]
388 words.

The howl that erupted from the edge of the lake startled him, his ears swivelled to catch the fading echoes, the tones unfamiliar to him. He knew that this wolf was not of Vinatta and that worried him slightly. It wasn't as if he was in the wrong so an attack would be unprecedented, but if he was attacked he could certainly defend himself. He paddled around and raised his head from the water to train his cerulean gaze on the shore and the large golden wolf that stood there. He felt a thrill of anxiety shudder through his body and he started to paddle back to land, making sure that he was definitely closer to his home pack.

Water poured from his thick fur as he hauled himself out of the lake, the shadow and earth coloured coat almost flat against his body. He ensured that he was a fair distance from the stranger before he shook out his fur, water flying in all directions and setting his coat in soft spikes. His sense of smell was dulled by the water that he had immersed himself in, the lake water and his own wet fur shrouding his olfactory abilities. It didn't stop him snuffling in the strangers direction, trying to at least catch the tiniest hint of who she was. He could feel his shoulders tensing up as he failed to gather a scent and he decided to make a show of being unconcerned, knowing that body language was a strong indicator in how a meeting would progress. He sat down on the sparse grass and tucked his tail into his side, his ears swivelled forward and he flicked his eyes to hers momentarily before settling his gaze on her ear. He hoped that she recognised that he was being polite, really not wanting to offend anyone and spark off a dispute where it wasn't needed.

He let a small smile touch his muzzle and he bowed his head slightly without taking his eyes off of the stranger at all, I'm sorry to disturb your afternoon, I hadn't thought anybody would be at the lake today. I'm Niernan Stormbringer, Vald of Vinatta. May I know your name? His Irish tones were friendly and mildly apologetic, he sat quietly, his smile lingering on his lips as he awaited her answer.

<style type="text/css">
.nscross b {font-weight:bold; color:#2a5c9b; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #a3b9d1; }
.nscross p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.nscross {margin:0 auto; width:490px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac30 ... 266e17.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #2a5c9b; padding: 440px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.nscross p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.nscross p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread