Hiding from the cold
[html]

Hanna turned and hurried towards her cabin, disregarding Catherine's question about Tobias, who glared at the approaching fingers but did not snap. Once they were out of the chill, she'd explain. She had food at the cabin, as well, and Toby was hungry. The problem with cold and snow, especially when it stormed like this, was that he was less able to find his own food. Hanna was, of course, not inclined to force him to find his own; she was more than willing to let him eat from her kills. Theirs was a symbiotic relationship: He helped her track and hunt prey, and in return, Hanna allowed him to gorge on what she brought down.

Crossing through the door and shutting it behind Catherine, Hanna busied herself starting a fire in the ancient fireplace and preparing a meal for the three. Toby glided to the corner, to his perch she'd erected, ejecting hawk chalk once perched and earning a hearty eye-roll from the black female. Setting the table and serving a lightly-grilled side of deer, Hanna finally answered the girl. This is Tobias. I found him about four months ago. His wing was broken and he couldn't fly. I learned Low Speech from Pilot Haddon so I could communicate with him, and now he helps me hunt. He's quite useful at scaring away the other birds that would otherwise scare the deer.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread