A Distant Memory Made Manifest
488. And no worries. :3

[html]
http://i42.tinypic.com/2dif428.png); background-position: center top; background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 500px; background-color: #000;">
Hybrid had to say something. He did not know what. He did not know how. But everything she was saying needed a reply. Some of it was true. Some of it was not. But Hybrid did not have the means nor the vocabulary to express his emotions. In fact, he was surprised he had made it this far. He was surprised she was still talking to him (and vice versa).

She spoke. And he listened.

"None of us need to live, do we?" he asked, after a slight pause. "What is the difference? When you live, you're a mass of... nothing. The only thing that separates us from carcasses are our breath and our feelings," he replied. It felt wrong to be saying it so crudely, but he did not know any other way to say it. He could not think of any better way to intonate his emotions. If he had known what he was trying to say, perhaps it would have been easier. Perhaps he wouldn't use all this reflexive verbs. Perhaps he would. "Why should you even care? We only exist because we don't know any other way of doing things. You're assuming we should exist. What if it goes against everything else?" He paused. Her other questions reminded him of something else. A thought? An emotion? No. He couldn't figure out what it was, but somehow, her thoughts were familiar. It was not the words she spoke, but the emotions conveyed in them. But Hybrid did not know. Hybrid didn't know a lot of things. In fact, he held very few conversations with other creatures because he just did not know. His conversation with bandit-coyote went to shit as soon as he finished talking. He couldn't lead the coyote on and pretend he knew more. He wasn't that smart. All he could do was attack. He could not plan or think if it did not involve moving, running, tearing, ripping, killing. He just did not know.

"Of course you don't exist," Hybrid replied at last. That was obvious. "I could never exist in any other way that was not physical. I can't think like you do. Or, I don't think I can. I might just be making this up. But you could tell the difference. I couldn't." Another pause. "Don't you see?" He flicked his ears as he remembered her name, her introduction. "Cwmfen nic Graine has nothing physical about it. You can say it, but can you touch it? Can you tear it apart?" Another pause. "I hate names." And: "I'm Hybrid Holocaust. Of Inferni" But he told her anyways. But he told her nonetheless. But he still spoke. And perhaps she still listened. Still. It implied she had begun to listen at some point. It implied she cared. Maybe she did. Maybe Hybrid wanted her to care. To care about what he said and what he meant. To think. To never exist.

IMAGE CREDIT
[/html]

Messages In This Thread