if you fight yourself hard enough you'll never win
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... table_.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
of course, i can't find my copy of the yearling to refer to... >(

When her little face turned back to him, his throat warmed with fear that she had discovered his laughing at her. But either she didn't understand or was distracted by something about his expression, because she gave a mere smile that quickly transformed into a lighthearted giggle. He couldn't stop grinning at her. He wouldn't have ever wanted her to see him laughing at her, but he couldn't help it. She was just too much fun. He waited patiently for Amata to settle down on his lap and let him start reading, but, of course, she had more things to ask him. He snickered for a second, honestly not caring whether he spent the time reading to her or answering her endless questions. "Uh... well, because... it was a baby. Like you. But it didn't have parents, so he decided to take care of it. Humans did that, with animals." Why, he would never know for sure. Humans had all kinds of strange customs that Kansas couldn't begin to understand; much less could have explained.

She seemed to have made up her mind on how she wanted to sit with him, but it wasn't what he'd expected. He let her wiggle around until she was on her back, looking up at him upside-down. Kansas had to choke down another small bout of laughter. He tickled her tummy for a second and then spoke in a gentle voice. "Comfy, silly girl? Because you're right, I'd better start reading before the 'ants' run away."

[/html]

Messages In This Thread