you thought you'd never shed a tear?
[html]

There were so many things that Rachias felt like she needed to tell her mother. So many things that the woman had missed and could so easily be filled in about if Rachias simply took the time to tell her. Certainly it would be nothing like experiencing it all but it would be something, at the very least. There had been the time that Arkham had saved her from drowning when they were so very small, back when they had swam out into the ocean to see what the colors in the water tasted like. Perhaps the time that she had wandered all the way to Clouded Tears after her mother had disappeared, sad that her father no longer came around. Then there was that spiteful, childish notion of tattling on Gabriel about how it seemed so easy to run away from their old home without Arkham. She had barely spoken to her brother since then. The last time she had seen him had been when she chased him away from the ill father with a broom.

Despite all of the memories and the things that she could share, the young woman was still awestruck, still trying to settle on a single emotion. She never expected to see her mother again and thus had never prepared for an encounter. What would her father have done? Hidden himself away from everyone and everything, as per usual, but that wasn't something that Rachias had in her. She had been hidden for far to long, dedicated to her father and then to her brother and their children. She couldn't hide from her own mother and, wherever he might have been now, she knew that her father would understand, no matter how badly he wanted to keep her away from them.

Rachias was silent for a time, waiting for the woman to speak, and the words that finally came surprised her just a bit. She did intend to stay, which were what her words implied, and Rachias wasn't sure how she felt about that. She had only returned to the lands to get a bit more information about her father and, perhaps, figure out who it was that had died with him in the fire that night. Could she really disappear away from her mother so quickly after all the time that she had been gone? "I might stay longer than I had planned." She said quietly, uncertain. It was both a quiet acceptance of the woman that she had lost so long ago and an indication that she indeed had a life elsewhere, that she wasn't tied to these lands like she might have been at one time.

What came next took her a bit by surprise and she watched the hand as it moved for her face, brushing away the hair that had gathered there amidst all of the excitement. However unsure and confused she had been, Rachias couldn't help leaning toward the hand that reached out for her, even if only a bit. She had often wondered what the love of a mother was really like. "I went to find him after you left." She admitted quietly, something that had happened so very long ago. "He didn't really want me there at first, but I never went away." He had seen how badly it had hurt her to know that she wasn't that important to him. It hadn't mattered after that though, their relationship had changed to something that she wouldn't have given up for the world. "He was good to us all though, even if I was the only one who even tried to bother with him." She so wished that Arkham could have seen in him what she had.

There was something about her mother's demeanor as she spoke of having not wanted to leave them, implying that she had been left with little choice, which struck something in the heart of the young woman. She seemed genuine, truly upset that she had missed out on so much and that she had been gone so long. Her first reaction was to yell and scream and ask the woman why she had left if she hadn't wanted to, but Rachias had learned long ago that acting in such a way would get her nowhere. Instead, without even questioning why she had left, the young woman shuffled forward a sparse few steps to wrap her arms around the woman who had been missing from her life for far to long. Her heart was leading her instead of the jumbled mess in her brain.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread