right back over the edge.
[html]

--

It was peculiar how two individuals could be so alike and yet so different all at once. To converse at length with anybody he'd just met was a feat by itself--to do so this naturally was just remarkable. Though they weren't bound by blood, in a sense he might just consider her his "aunt-in-law." They echoed one another's thoughts and sentiments towards the wolves, and yet they'd arrived at this point via very different paths.
Anselm really hadn't changed much since his youth--even then he was rather callous and aloof. A few good whoopings taught him early on who he could mouth off to and who he could not, and numerous scraps had lead him to discover his own strength and ability. Right from the get-go his priority had been his own survival, and he'd be damned if anybody would take that away from him.
The time quickly came to blow that popsicle stand, and he found himself comforted and frustrated by his solitude all at once. All of the things that used to take up his day (fighting, hunting, etc.) suddenly became occasional occurences and he was left with entirely too much time to think about anything and everything. With the arrival of Gabriel and Inferni, he'd found a purpose--and one he was damn good at fulfilling to boot.
For a time, things were stable and he felt at his prime. Then, a bomb went off. He just didn't click into parenthood as easily as she had. Heck, he'd been downright suprised, shocked even, to discover that his random midnight romps with the ladies had inevitably produced some children. For some stupid reason, the news had rattled him to his core and he didn't know what to do about it.
At the end of it all, he'd managed to pull his head out of his own ass, but he wasn't much different than before. He didn't know exactly what would happen when he saw Ryan again, but he was no longer worried. Everything would sort itself out in the end--as it had for Kaena in the past, it seemed. "I guess we'll have to see. As for subordinates there, I've met a whackjob and I met a girl who was actually decent. I'm not sure either are still around, though," he said as his mind drifted to Firefly, then Kol.
"It can't hurt. Maybe he can offer some perspective on his subleader... then again, who knows. For some damned reason, it doesn't seem like most of the packs function awfully well as a unit," he mused. "It's ironic, since Inferni seems to value independence of the individual members more greatly." They all did their own thing, but their loyalty remained strong. To Anselm, this was why Inferni would always be supreme.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread