close my eyes and wait for the bomb.
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... _table.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
gah, i have finally earned the right (in my head) to write a reply to this thread! XD. i blame you in part for it's odd fun, 'cause you made the setting all interesting and stuffs. 724 words

The other hybrid introduced herself as Kaena Lykoi. It was a name that could have been familiar, had her dad, when in the lands east of here, ever stopped wallowing in self-pity long enough to take note of the political happenings of the packs around him. And of course, had he thought that stories of the coyotes were suitable for the ears of his baby girl. Which was very possibly not the case. Yeah, she was almost two - would be, in a couple of months. But Cally hadn't wanted to let go - to let her grow up, and it showed now with her continued minuscule flinches (although after that first one, she at least hadn't been whimpering!) at the thunder that growled and roared outside and above and everywhere.

Sitting closer, now, Sofia could pick out the scars on Kaena's face from the natural coloration of her fur. No one from back home had had that many scars - not even those in charge of protecting the land (admittedly, they were not often called to perform such a service). What was it like, living in a coyote pack? Did they fight more over ranks, or stuff? Or had Kaena just had a tougher life than most? There was a sort of wiry strength that emanated from the older female that was both intimidating and fascinating. Sofia sort of got the impression that, should the coyote choose to, Kaena could totally beat the crap out of her. It made her cautious, even though by this point the other hybrid was acting very pleasant, very nice.

Sofia didn't even consider the technical inaccuracy of the question that was spoken. Yeah, they were both hybrids, but Kaena was coyote like Sofi was wolf. The mixed blood merely gave them a chance to choose, presented them with a choice as to how they wished to live their lives. Of course, it was an easier choice for some rather than others, depending on exactly how muddied the features of one ancestor over another became. Kaena's scent held the edge of what might have been a pack. If there were such a thing, a group of coyotes on this land.. Maybe it would be a cool thing to investigate. At some point, ideally before she could no longer walk, a temporary home would be nice. A den she could die in, safe inside the borders of somewhere or another. Because when it got that bad - even a casual tussle, a pounce from a puppy, could cause her bones to fracture. And they wouldn't heal, anymore.

"I'm not too sure, it's hard to figure out a canine in only a few minutes." Sofi answered with a calm reasonableness that sharply contrasted her irrational terror of the weather. "You're not.. as scary, or as mean, though, as a lot of wolves I've known have claimed." Maybe it was the wolf blood in Kaena, tempering her natural cruel coyote personality. Although honestly, Sofia doubted it. It was too easy to be superstitious, too easy to build up the creatures you don't know to a laughable level of unreality.

A question, burning in the back of her mind, that she had always intended to ask the first coyote she met, slipped up her throat and into her mouth, spoken into the chilly air: "Do.. Er, what do coyotes think happens, after you die?" Sofia had asked a couple of her friends, back home, and even convinced one to help her do a cursory bit of research through some old human books to figure out what they had thought. Neither of the wolves she had spoken with really knew; they had told her to ask some of the older members of the pack, had said that they might have some ideas on the subject. But she was afraid the question would seem out of place for Calypso's cheerful little girl, and that they would tell her father and he would somehow figure out her dark secret.

As far as humans went - heaven and hell was an interesting idea, although she couldn't help but fear that the latter was a place more suited for girls who kept secrets from their fathers. A fair number of articles her friend had read to her, though, had scoffed at the idea, claiming instead that... once dead, there was nothing.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread