close my eyes and wait for the bomb.
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... _table.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Kaena gave Sofi a long, hard look, and the younger girl more than half-expected her to laugh. It was silly, if you didn't know the circumstances. Completely and utterly preposterous. What right did Sofia have, to fear death as not much more than a child? But maybe Sofia's tone had demonstrated enough resignation, enough.. inevitability to give her pause, because the coyote did not laugh at her. She wasn't really sure if she was glad or not. Yeah, being laughed at was sort of embarrassing, but she had been ready for it, ready to force a smile on her face and maybe let the laughter pave way to more cheerful topics. A bridge, a segue from this horror. Instead, she almost felt like.. well, she didn't really know. Like Kaena knew? That didn't make any sense to her. Sofia bore no apparent physical signs of illness. Not yet, and probably not even once the cancer progressed. At the point when she couldn't walk it would be easy enough to tell something was wrong simply by the fact that she.. wasn't ever leaving a den, but unless she broke fragile bones with carelessness a casual glance still wouldn't be revealing.

Sofia extended one arm partway across the table, casually picking up one of the rocks that had been lying near the candle. She felt fidgety, uncomfortable facing the penetrating stare of the older female. How had she figured it out? Would other people be able to tell, as readily? Maybe Sofi overestimated her ability to keep this a secret. If so, it had seriously been a good idea to leave Calypso. He would have found out so shortly! It probably didn't help that Sofi herself had turned the conversation to subjects of mortality. She studied the rock she now held, feeling the roughness against her fingers as she turned it, examined it. It was much easier to avoid intimidating eye contact with something else to fix on, to pretend to be paying attention to.

She found an unintended bitter humor in Kaena's particular turn of phrase, and halfway wanted to smile at the irony. But no, that would be way too morbid. It was just, well, the idea of running from death compounded with the fact that Sofi's death would come not long after she could literally no longer run. Poor girl, forced into bravery, her ability to flee from death or anything stripped completely away!

And then the comfort she had been hoping for was spoken, but fell flat. Can't live forever. "Why not?" She asked sullenly to the rock in her hands, petulantly and childishly demanding an answer to a question that didn't have one. "Or at least.. why not just a little longer." Sofia clenched her fist around the rock, and glanced up slightly, just enough to look at her companion. "It's not even fair! I never even got to do anything! I haven't even had my first kiss!" Which was, of course, a serious serious matter to an adolescent with mortality looming.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread