our flesh & blood has found me in your arms.
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_disorder.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
    The admission had not been so difficult for Kaena. She had expected to hesitate some, to find it more difficult to reveal to her child that she had taken his father's life. But there was a lightness in her chest that had not been there before, as if a heavy stone had been lifted off of her back. She still had a part of him, with her at almost all times. Since she had been sort of staying with Gabriel, she hadn't carried her pack around so much. At the moment it was there, even, so if she had wanted to part with one of his father's teeth, she couldn't have. Even so, she wondered if Samael would have done anything other than scoff at it and cast it aside. His father had been little more than the donator of his sperm. Sam and his siblings had little involvement with their father, and she supposed for that she ought to be grateful. If he had more involvement in their lives, they wouldn't belong to Kaena as they did.

Her son didn't have much of a reaction to her revelation to him, other than the slightest laugh. Her golden eye regarded him carefully, searching his face, but she found his reaction to be genuine. After all, why would Sam hold any attachment to that coyote who had merely served to supply half of his genes? It wasn't as if the dead coyote had ever made a contribution to their lives other than his genetic material; their fatherly figure had been Molochai if it had been anyone. Kaena and her golden son had raised them alone, and in a final act of rejection and abandonment toward his children, Astaroth himself had found them too aged for his uses upon his return.

The coyote woman breathed in again, resting her chin over Samael's muzzle. He had not moved or spoken, so she continued speaking, her words coming to her slowly. "I chased them to the far edge of the world, to the opposite ocean. Fighting him almost killed me." She pushed his hand toward her belly, drawing his fingers over the puckered, still-pink flesh slashed across her belly. She hadn't seen that ornate ritual dagger until it was too late. There was another shaky sigh, and she turned her head away from him, gazing to the bruise-purple sky. "Eris left me to die," she said, very simply. The hurt was obvious in her voice; though it was not the first time she had experienced betrayal by a child. Vitium's treachery hadn't made Eris's any easier.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread