Teardrops
[html]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/ ... table1.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
WC: 651
ooc: Jacquez's kind of a jackass. :3 Sorry for my usual delay.

The young wolf appeared to be awestruck by Jacquez's charismatic entrance, and the king preened under the attention, smirking as he was openly stared at. It took his ego a moment to notice that it was his amputation in particular that held the boy's frightened gaze, and the calculating gleam in his dark eyes shone as he jumped to concoct another story of false heroism. Which tall tale had he not used in a while? Struck by lightning was a classic, or the ship's mast collapsing onto him, that had a nice nautical edge... This little wolf was clearly curious (and guilty for his bold observation), but he didn't seem straightforward enough to ask directly...

"'Dahlia'... Knew I recognized that scent. The midnight woman with the moon eyes, she's one of your leader-types, n'est-ce pas? And two of my former packmates were former packmates of yours as well." He smiled knowingly, tapping his muzzle with a clever grin. He was a very knowledgeable king, at least when it came to pretty faces. He couldn't recall that black wolf's name, though, had Firefly mentioned it at all? He had been distracted by the blue markings accentuating her slender frame. The flower pack had nice girls. And the blue-eyed demon, of course, but his likeness was quickly pushed aside for more interesting goings-on.

"I live in the Cour des Miracles kingdom, south of here! And I could not sleep either, I rarely do. That gives us something in common, eh?" Jacquez snorted derisively as the small werewolf cringed away from him, uttering a half-hearted plea. Was he really so impressive so as to provoke fear? He was dashing, certainly; roguish with a weathered charm, perhaps, but not brutish and threatening. Distinguished nobility could hardly be considered dangerous at face value. With an effort, he shrugged it off, replying, "Ne t'inquiétes pas, fret not, I have no interest in hunting tonight. You would be but a tiny morsel anyway! I was hunted once, though, you know. It happened before you were born, on a night not unlike this one..." The collie hybrid's fangs flashed in the moonlight as he leaned closer, his voice a husky whisper as he shared his newest falsehood.

"Arrows rained from the sky without warning, peppering the ground about me. I had no idea who was firing, so I had no choice but to flee - but I could not run faster than the projectiles, and I was pinned against a tree. An arrow - no, three, five arrows! - had gone clean through my left arm, trapping me against the trunk. I caught my breath, unwilling to cry out in pain-" - here Jacquez bit his lip dramatically, imitating what he suspected was a noble and stoic grimace - "-and the hunter emerged, a massive werewolf triple my size. He licked his lips and said he would eat me the next morning, so I should stay put and wait for my end."

The mad king sank back onto his haunches, regarding the young Dahlian with his inky-black gaze. After a suspenseful pause, he let a small smile curl onto his muzzle, readying the exciting conclusion. "I was not ready to be eaten. So when the werewolf with the arrows slipped back into the woods, I took a deep breath, closed my eyes - and with a mighty roar, I wrenched free of the tree and ran, leaving my arm tacked to the tree as a consolation prize for the hunter. No one has ever made an attempt on my life since - it is a badge of courage, to sacrifice a limb to save one's life. No one else is brave enough to challenge me." He tilted his head at a rakish angle, hoping he would look the part. That anecdote had been spun quite well, in his "humble" opinion. But was it enough to entertain a child?

[/html]

Messages In This Thread