We’ve Unlocked Pandora’s Box
[html]

300+

Her statement had the desired effect on the birthing mother. When a smile of relief crossed Cwmfen’s features, the Koios girl allowed a great deal of tension to leave her body. She’d done nothing aside from witnessing the birth of Dahlia de Mai’s second litter, and she felt drained of her energy. It either had to do with fatigue, or the pinch of sadness in her heart. Alexey could not settle on one particular state of mind; there was a storm of emotion surging up within her. Her friend had given birth to two healthy puppies; one male, one female. Everything had gone so smoothly; no stillborns, no complications, and no hemorrhage. This was wonderful news. Not only had Cwmfen handled herself beautifully, but she had also done well by releasing the second puppy from the amniotic sac.

On the other hand, Dahlia’s newest Papavers brought back memories of Conor and Emwe at a time when they’d been only a few days old. How she wished she could’ve known then, all the tragedies that would befall her two protégés. Then perhaps she could’ve done something to save them. Her heart felt heavy with regret. Honey-hued eyes found the coyote’s face just as he looked away from the scene, clearly uncomfortable with his lover’s instinctual behavior. Her attention then returned to Cwmfen, who was already tending to the children by providing warmth, food, and affection. Now, unfortunately, her presence was needed elsewhere. Although she wanted nothing more than to stay until her leader assigned them each with a name, the early rays of daybreak indicated that it was time to go home. The Lilium’s children would soon rise with the sun, and she had to be there.

A glance was spared to the group, lingering briefly over the newborn pups, before she got to her feet and excused herself. “I think you two have things to discuss. I have to make it home before the kids realize I’m missing.” she explained, brushing some dirt off her knees. “I’ll stop by a little later to make sure everything’s okay. Congratulations you two.” There was a moment of silence as she contemplated the pertinence of her next affirmation. She opened her maw to say something but quickly decided against it. It could wait. Without another word, the Caregiver left the new family behind, making her way back home to Flanders Field.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread