Decisions, decisions
[html]

Word of the Day - Thursday, September 24, 2009: assiduous

Word Count: 332

come dance with the west wind and touch on the mountain tops

Dawali nodded as he listened to Hanna's words, his face a smile. Perhaps the horse's current nickname was trite - he had no opinion of it. A name that was only a compliment could hardly be a bad name, and to him horses could just as well have trite names than anything else. He had never given much thought to the naming of the animals, but Hanna shared a different connection with them. He could understand her need for a more meaningful name. "You could call her Uwoduhi - it means 'beautiful' in our traditional language." The sound flew comfortably from his lips, although the combination was probably foreign-sounding to anyone who had not heard the language spoken before. He continued, almost as a thought; "Hardly anyone speaks it but me, though.".

He did not comment on her compliment, but continued instead directly to the case at hand. Her duties would vary as she gained more knowledge and rose in the ranks. Unfortunately, the first tasks would be quite boring. Hopefully, she would seek more knowledge from him, and be eligible for more responsibility rather quickly. "Your beginner task is simple; you provide burning materials for the ceremonial fire, as well as the tribe members' hearths. I can teach you about the better sorts of firewood, and I will show you where it should be stored." He gave her a halfway apologetic smile before continuing. "It's little, but you'll spend the rest of the time learning about the significance and tradition of our ceremonial fire. I'm afraid that during this time, you'll not be allowed to approach the fire - until someone else is Master, I am the only one who can, outside of ceremonies." His yellow gaze studied her. She was knowledgeable, and like Hemming she appreciated lore and tradition. Perhaps she would find the job more interesting than it sounded. The great fire craved assiduous feeding, and that would be her next step. Hopefully she could find that more productive.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread