save the last dance for me
[html]

I spoke to you in cautious tones,
you answered me with no pretense.
And still I feel I've said too much,
my silence is my self-defense.

She could tell that he was trying because he was scowling now. Despite the seriousness of his expression, a smile touched her own face. Her expression was rueful. His electric green eye had rolled away from her face, and he looked off into the distance. He was probably thinking about how much she annoyed him. She had had that effect on him since the moment they had met. But that was only a single dimension of their interaction patterns. As time went on and she got to know him better, she was aware of the fact that he had the frustrating ability to get under her skin and drive all patience out of her.

His body stiffened, and he felt like a statue beneath her. But he did not try to move away. He was putting forth an effort and seemed to be uncomfortable as hell. She placed a hand on one side of his rigid jaw, her touch gentle, trying to ease the tension in him. She mimicked his smirk in good humor before she spoke again, the edge of a laugh in her voice, "You don't look very happy right now."

But she didn't push the issue further. It was obvious that there was something there, something in his words, and in words he could not yet find. She could be satisfied with that for now. He was willing to try, to rise to the challenge, despite the difficult of the task for him. That spoke far more than words could to her. But Geneva felt the need to speak her own mind, and to give him the honesty he deserved. "For me, there's no one else." The words came tumbling out of her usually guarded mouth. "If you don't feel the same, I understand. But I needed to let you know...and that changes things for me, the way I act and react toward you. I need to know...if you feel anything similar, so I know what to do..." she finished lamely, feeling slightly embarrassed now.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread