crossing the 45th parallel
Psychology has always fascinated me, I just wished my instructor didn't babble so much and give us simple assignments (which is why I forget them, because they're things like "read this article so we can discuss it on Tues./Thurs." and I'm used to having to do more... so I think I have to do more and panic because I think I don't remember, asdkfjfj) even though he's pretty amusing. And I'm sorry these posts are crummy, I spend about half my time trying to make them sound better but I think I'm making them worse. :| *stomps on them*

[html]
This time around, it was touch that got through to him the most and then the persistence of a voice that persuaded him into opening his eyes again. Even if things were still out of focus, he couldn’t deny that indiscriminate blotch of dark against the lush green was really there. And the more that voice reached him, the more it pulled him back over the line of reality, the more switches were flicked and lit up across an invisible panel of controls behind his eyes. But the one switch that didn’t get tripped all the way was instinct; another was judgement. He should have been afraid of some random woman having come along to poke and prod him and the disorientation should have been playing into fear and giving away to aggression. But at least for now, it didn’t.

As her features became more distinct, he was able to separate her from the trees and the earth, finding colour where the grey on the edge of his vision receded. She wanted to help him and that was something Hezekiah needed, something that he most definitely understood. Getting up would be another story, because getting up required moving and moving was something that he really didn’t want to do. But there was a quiet nagging, an inner voice of conscious that told him that he knew what happened when he didn’t do as he was told. So groggily, he peddled his feet against the earth and righted himself some with a grimace.

From there, getting to his feet wasn’t done so easily, but it got done nevertheless and much easier than it would have had he attempted to try it slumped to one side like a drunk in a stairwell. The tree, rather than being an uncomfortably cosy place to possibly expire was only there to steady him now. Gazing around with a half-lidded view on everything, Hezekiah fought the urge to shake and heave the non-existent contents of an empty stomach and absently covered the left-handed gash with his right hand as though he meant to hide it.

And maybe he did, for all he knew.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread