Walking the line
[html]

Wow. I would never have expected to love wordcounttool.com as much as I do now. My post that I thought I lost was saved in the box. x.x
Word Count: 555. Worth 5 points.

The two women had become very at ease with each other, as by degrees their postures became less defensive. Hanna marveled a bit at this; it was not often she was this relaxed around someone, wolf or coyote or dog. It was a good feeling, one she could get used to. At Kaena's somewhat dry comment, Hanna chuckled. "They certainly are. Were it not for Mew, I would be nowhere near Dahlia now. A fighter I am not, and if it came down to a physical confrontation I would lose, probably forfeiting my life." Perhaps it was not a smart admission to make, but it was the truth. And she had no reason to lie to this woman, nothing really to hide.

Moments later, she stated her name and rank. Hanna had come at a relatively fortunate time to be discovered by the second in command. Maybe Kaena was not in charge of the most important decisions, but it was not as though some lower ranked member of Inferni had found her. That could be disastrous for both parties. Kaena went on to confirm Hanna's previous supposition, that she had been in the old lands, too. Her jaws parted again, explaining where she had been in the old lands. "I grew up some ways from the old Inferni, in Chimera. I'd gone there after learning of my mother's abandonment of my younger sister, trying to find her. Right before the fire, I came back to find Syemv, which I had considered joining, missing, and so joined Clouded Tears instead." She had spent a great deal of her time at the lower ranks of Chimera, coming in as the Omega and then climbing very little as she aged. It had rather sucked.

The sable woman was not sure whether Kaena's shock ensuing from the story she told came from Haku attacking his own aunt outright or from some other cause, but she nodded as the other woman fell silent for several long seconds. Hanna felt the tension between them rise again, if only a little, and the ashen hybrid stated, more than asked, that Hanna was different from Haku in that respect. The medic met her amber eye, wavering not one bit but clearly not as a challenge as she spoke. "I have been the initiator of a fight only once in my six and a half years that I remember. I attacked a member of Storm whose hide rivaled yours for scarring and got knocked flat on my ass." She paused, studying the scar on Kaena's collarbone and then shook her head sadly at her nephew. She was afraid that he would get himself hurt badly some day -- even though he'd attacked her, he was still her kin -- but did not know how she would approach the situation adequately anyway.

"He's a big boy and should be doing this himself, but I apologize for my nephew's actions, Kaena, past, present, and future. I fear he's not well, to be truthful. Something seemed... off kilter... when he attacked me. Like there was more to his attacking me than me being in that place at that time."

[/html]

Messages In This Thread