nightTERROR
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_columbus.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Bah, I apologize for rambling at you in my prior post. XD I had like, two posts to do and I wanted to occupy my time. XD

Here was her battered and scarred son, so damaged like her. Her glittering single eye roved over his features as if she had never seen him before, devouring every inch of him. It was always a delight to see one of her children; they had grown so strong and so big. Samael especially; his scars were an outward expression of survivalism and warfare at once, lingering reminders of the pain he had endured throughout his life. Like her, so like her. If there was nothing else in Kaena, there was pain. She did not deign to show it often anymore, but parts of her ached like hell. There were holes in her heart, dead and dried up pieces that had withered to dust years ago, as family and lovers and children alike were stripped from her.

There was that foul part of living so long—Kaena had outlasted many of her children. Ikatha and Baneesh had not lived to see their first birthday, nor had Maeryn or Andrezej. Part of her mourned their loss of life at such a young age; part of her thought it was better they had not lived to see their prime and been cut down in the midst of it. Loss was loss either way, and the hybrid felt no differently however she might have attempted to rationalize their death. It hurt all the same. Her son was against her then, warmth and that familiar smell she had known since his birth and the very instant he had emerged from her body. Each one of them was unforgettable; like a shark to blood, Kaena could track them down in a thousand other smells.

For all his fearsomeness, Kaena knew the other side of Samael, the side he likely did not allow others to view so blatantly. But she was his mother; she had whelped him and sustained him from her very body and given him life. It was not so with every one of her children, she knew—some of them very well might have hated her, and Kaena did not know them half as well as she would have hoped. She wrapped her arms around him, glad that she had not chosen to walk as a wolf. "But you are awake and the dream is gone now," she murmured softly to him, her fingers stroking the tawny fur of his mane of his hair. Some of them were cursed with dreams, nightmares, crawling and creeping things that haunted sleep and kept them awake at night. Why else would she have been wandering at such an hour?

The hybrid woman did not dream as often as she used to; some nights were blessed quiet, but when she did, it was always of death. It was not always her own; sometimes she simply saw the death she had witnessed and in many instances caused over her long life. Her history was one of split flesh and spilled blood, put simply. It was one of the many paradoxes or cruelties of the universe that she had ended up becoming a giver of life, mother to so many. No doubt it was her family's existence which had simmered the boiling personality she had once had. No doubt it still existed, bubbling incessantly beneath the surface of her head. "What did you dream of?" she asked him quietly, at once fearing and knowing the answer. In so many ways, Samael was most like her of all the many children she had raised. With scars like theirs, it was easy to figure out what filled their most secret thoughts.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread