partners in crime
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_tropic.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:230px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:25px;">
Eee. I forgot you took that table. Big GrinDD It makes me happy to see you use it. <3 Also, I have expanded a little bit on Rurik's family, I'mma add it to his Wiki page after I post this. :3 I went and made an assumption that Rurik, Silas, and Liliya visited Rurik's sister Zharky and her two kids in Amsterdam on their way to the Lisbon port to head over here, if that's okay? :O I added a fair bit of info on those guys so you could include the visit and stuff in your posts if you wanted to. <3

Rurik found it odd that the map had been covered. He was unaware of human protocols like shutting down transportation means to keep the spread of the virus (in effect, quarantining people where they were) to a minimum, making the maps of the area and the subway routes pretty useless. Still, people must have been trying to get out at some point. A few of the notes were hastily scrawled on napkins, crumbling and ill-preserved in the moist air of the underground. People must have been waiting on the platform when the government sealed them off, canceling the trains into and out of the city in a last-ditch effort to save their civilization. Apparently, it hadn't worked. Lily watched her dad and brother in fascination, her jaw hanging slightly agape as she watched the map came out from beneath the papers. She never would have guessed. Curious now, she stepped forward, examining the tiny intricate lines. She could never hope to read a damn word off the map.

"Aha, seen," he said with a grin, tugging the last of the papers down, looking for the familiar star. He wasn't great at reading English, either, but he knew how to read a map—and stationary, human maps usually had a big red dot that told him exactly where he was. That was a useful feature, he had figured out. With a finger to the map, he traced over it until he found such a thing. "Look here," he called, waving his other hand behind him to indicate the children ought to come closer. Liliya crowded in, clutching at Silas's arm to pull him with her, getting a little more lively as they drew nearer to warm beds and hot meals. His silvery hand touched the red place with the text, the tip of his claw following underneath it as he read aloud: "You are here."

Turning his ice-colored gaze to Silas first, then Liliya, underling the gravity of the knowledge he was about to impart on them, the wolf spoke. "When you find big human maps—like on wall, kiosk—usually they have this. Very helpful," the wolf said, turning back to the map. There were lots of little symbols, and though he could read English, he was not quite so proficient as he was in anything written in the Cyrillic alphabet, and it was quite helpful to see the little images of food and gas and other things he did not understand. His finger circled around a few times until he found a bed symbol, and he tapped it, nodding. "I think we will find something here," the Russian said excitedly. Liliya just looked relieved; she breathed out and smiled for what seemed like the first time in days.

It was quite close to their present location (assuming the map wasn't to a ridiculously large scale, which would not have made sense to Rurik). "Should be right at the end of this street, actually," the Russian chuckled, shaking his head. In all likelihood they would have found it anyway, but it was better to teach the kids something and save time this way, rather than waste the rest of the day and their waning energy opening doors and peeking their heads inside. "Let's get going. Still want to eat 'fore we settle in for the night, right?" he said with a grin, though the hopes of finding a lot of food here were slim—more likely, he was going to have to catch something small for Liliya and Silas now, and go hungry himself. No bother. Tomorrow was another day, and Rurik had all of it to find the nearest forest and bring down a deer or even something bigger.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread