Place a Fortress Around My Heart
[html]
kk! tiny bit of pp saying she entered, tell me if i should change it! 349 words

Ares dozed fitfully on the couch in the common area. He had returned his poetry book back to his bedroom, and tried to figure out how he wanted to spend the night. The pack celebration had been pleasant, but he hadn't spoken at all with the person he wanted to talk to most. He didn't quite have the nerve to approach her directly, but he thought maybe if she entered the common room while he was there they'd be forced into talking, or something. It was so awkward between them, now! How had that even happened? It was so damn easy to talk to her that first night, watching the stars on the front lawn. But now it seemed to be an action of incredible difficulty. He had brought a book to the couch, the new one that Princess had given him for his birthday - The Universe, the Gods, and Men. The first few pages were interesting, but he rapidly found out he was more tired than he thought. The book lay open on his chest, the title visible along the spine, pages rustling gently when he breathed deeply.

He kept waking up, terrified or nervous or frustrated, but he could never remember what he had been dreaming. Ares vaguely acknowledged the fact that he should probably move back to his room, but he never woke up fully and the half-asleep part of his brain rebelled greatly at the idea of moving. The creak of a door startled him right awake, though. He was always a light sleeper. His head groggy, he tried to focus his golden eyes on the figure in the darkness, momentarily blinded by the lantern in her hands. His head swam with the scent of Mati, imagining that she was there. Confusing her appearance with his dream, he panicked, remembering parts of the nightmare - cold, hateful comments from his chocolate crush. Ares blinked until the world before him settled into reality. He fought to find words, his mouth felt dry and his head stuffed with cotton. "What.. um." He coughed. "I mean, uh, hi."
[/html]

Messages In This Thread