Place a Fortress Around My Heart
[html]
<3. 334 words

Mati spoke, but her words said nothing. Theoretically each of them had a meaning, and strung together they conveyed a message, but they said nothing. It was polite, automatic, obvious. I'm sorry - a reflexive response to breaking something, to doing something wrong. She hadn't really done anything besides stop the nightmare. Or was she apologizing for anything else? The whole blame for the existence of.. whatever it was.. that seemed wedged between them could hardly be accounted for with such weightless words. And why would she even be apologizing for that at all? It wasn't like she had done anything wrong. God, he was thinking too much, reading too much into things that didn't even exist. She had walked in, she had woken him up, she hadn't meant to. Simple enough, basic enough, why did he always act like things were so complicated?

Ares was too sleep-addled, too hurt from his just-escaped nightmare to even know how to respond with social niceties. Oh, he knew very well that he should, but he couldn't think of anything to speak but the thoughts on his mind. He couldn't find the filter that everyone imposed, the pre-set words and phrases that you employ when the situation is just so. "I didn't mean to say that, Mati. I was an idiot, I wasn't thinking of you when I said that to Haven, I was just mad and trying to hurt him, to make him understand how I felt.." And now he was rambling. Would she even know what he was talking about? He had pushed himself upright on the couch before speaking, leaning heavily on the armrest he had been using as a pillow, now clinging to it for support. Ares dropped his gold gaze, to his lap, feeling sick to his stomach. He didn't want to watch her leave, or to see the hurt on her face that had been present that day so long ago. One or the other (or maybe even both!) seemed inevitable.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread