Place a Fortress Around My Heart
[html]
342 words

Ares wondered if any of this had been on her mind, too. Had he hurt her so badly she still fretted on it? He couldn't know, all he knew was that the guilt of it was chewing on a not-insignificant corner of his heart. "I know you aren't, Mati. That's why I like... being your friend. I wouldn't have it any other way." Softly too, of course. The dream-like fuzziness of this meeting, the sleepy brain and dim-flickering flame-light seemed fragile, somehow. As if he spoke too loudly, this precarious structure would shatter in some sort of disaster. She set the lantern down on the table, and he shifted slightly, swinging his legs down to the floor and leaning against the back of the couch in a normal seated position. He sort of wanted to stand up and comfort her, but he didn't know if it was the right thing to do. Well, he had made room on the couch, now; he felt the conversation was too serious to break it with an invitation for a seat, but it was open if she wanted to take it.

"I wouldn't.." be like your brother. Ares thought it so loudly he was half-frantic he had spoken it, but his ears caught up to his brain and thankfully he hadn't. He believed it with all his might, but he wasn't going to say it, he was trying to forge forgiveness across the chasm of their siblings encounter, and that would not help circumstances at all. "Not ever, Mati." Despite his convictions not to go into the subject, he found the rest of the words just tumbling out regardless. "And I don't care what Princess and Haven say, I don't think what they did was right - for either of them." At least he was trying to be diplomatic? Princess and him had made up, but it was a sort of "well, I guess I don't really have any grounds to stop you" sort of concession on his part. He still didn't like her relationship one bit.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread