believing what he read made him mad.
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/kae/kae_razor.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
    There were old wounds here, and one Kaena loathed to feel split open again. Still, the sensation came—long-dead scars spreading wide and exposing raw and rotten flesh beneath, all that had been left to putrefy and go completely sour within the hybrid woman. There had been enough pain in her life to satisfy several lifetimes' worth, and this was the last thing she needed. There was the nearly insatiable urge to stand to her feet and simply walk away, melting into the darkness to crawl into some slovenly hole and breathe her last. Maybe it was love, maybe it was duty that kept her where she was, but for a few wavering moments it was there, prominent and forefront among her whirling mad thoughts.

Her face had grown blank in the moments of his speech, though her body was still in predatory mode and his words registered clearly in her mind. "You left us. I know why," the coyote said, hesitant to break open worse wounds than the aforementioned. "But should I have chased you across the world like Eris, leaving six of your brothers and sisters with Ahren alone in Inferni? You know he went to have his crown," the coyote said darkly. It wasn't right either way, it was still fucked up and confused in her head—maybe if she had gone to find Gabriel he would never have left at all. Maybe then she could have returned to Ahren in Inferni and he would have stayed, and they would have been one big happy family. Likely, right?

Even in her head it sounded sappy and sour, a fantasy of completion the hybrid was beginning to realize she would never have. There were too many missed opportunities for her, too many mistakes, too many times it had been in her very hands and she'd dropped it so carelessly. "I fucked up, but least when I left you Inferni, you profited from it," she grumbled, her shoulders becoming rigid beneath their coal fur. She never should have left; Eris was an abomination and she did not deserve to exist, not only for her betrayal but for her very origin. She should have died the very night she emerged into the world, black and larger than her smaller coyote siblings, almost unmistakable to Kaena for what she truly was. "I'm sorry," she said, folding her ears back against her head, though the anger remained in fragments on her face, twisting across them every moment she stood there facing him.

Kaena's face could not decide between hurt and beyond angry; it wavered wildly between the two, her snarl shifting almost imperceptibly beneath her scars. Samael was hers, more hers than any of the others—he loved her best of all, more than any of the others, anyway. If she told him to stand still in one spot and not move, he would starve to death doing it, of this she was certain. "He is mine," she repeated, though with less ferocity this time. "He is my responsibility. He was raised inside of Inferni's borders, he knows the rules," she said, even then her logic seeming hollow. "I love him as much as I love you," the coyote added, her voice as calm as it had been in the last several minutes.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread