it's hardest hue to hold
[html]
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... emppup.png); background-color:#3e447d; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">

She drank up his words with wide innocent eyes, little maw suspended with bewilderment. Imagine that, living beside pirates! Her Papa would NEVER allow them to live near pirates. He was... Not very good when it came to conflict. Not a coward, she mentally reassured, because 'Winters' aren't cowards!', but just very protective of his family. Alaine wondered about Gabe's family for a moment. Maybe they were really tough, and that's why the pirates didn't drive them away?

" But, Ga-"

Her words were cut off as the boy suddenly stopped, his slightly-taller body positioned in front of her for a moment. Alaine meekly peeked around him, but saw nothing, and barely noted the strange scent on the wind. Her nose wiggled at it unconsciously, soft floppy ears pricked forwards as if to hear the cause of alarm. Gabriel stage-whispered to her, and filled with the moment, Alaine nodded silently, her little puppy maw clamped tightly shut. Following the boy's actions, she too dropped to the ground, little creamy-splotched rump up in the air in a very undignified posture.

" Okay Gabe. I'll be a good 'splorer, just you see!"

Her whisper was feather-soft. She was used to whispering, because sometimes her older sisters and she hid when Papa got really angry, when he took swigs straight from the bottle of his expensive liquor and made crude gestures to people nobody but he could see. Papa spoke about Alaine's dead mother in those times, voice thick with agony and loss. 'S'all your fault... Juss' one more pup, she told'd me! Juss' one more. N'look wha' it did. KILLED 'ER!'.

She knew how to whisper real good.

Speak think walk!

[/html]

Messages In This Thread