a fever coming on.
Well, I'm pleased that we can both get massive posts out of these threads. XD Not that you need them—miss pretty already half-way done! X: Here's my last post. 1034

[html]
http://i48.tinypic.com/n66ogz.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-top: 155px; text-align: justify;">

It would perhaps take a long time to psychoanalyze Snake’s philosophies and whatever religion he had, though summarizing was possible. Despite his youth in training to become a soldier and, ultimately, a killer, he did not sanction needless killing. If someone could remove an enemy without extinguishing life, he would take that action. Perhaps what contributed to this was that once Patriot told him that if you killed many people, when you die you end up in a river where their corpses pursue you for eternity. This was a pretty insane thought, but he believed in it sometimes. In self-defense of himself and his clan, he would fight and kill, but generally not for recreation nor for passion. It was good that Snake had no passion—no crimes could come from emotions that one did not seem to possess.

Religion was pretty hazy for him. His mother had, strangely enough, had parents that were almost what was Christian. Or at least the Luperci version—they believed in salvation from the son of some almighty God who could take their sins away so they could live in heaven rather than broil in hell for eternity. Snake feared hell, so he generally tried to keep himself on a positive path… Just in case. One could never know what came after death—it was the most well-kept of all secrets.

When she mentioned that it was probably the difference in temperature that caused the steam, Snake nodded. “Yeah, I believe so. If it were spring or summer, I doubt the steam would rise like this.” At least when things warmed up again, there would not be a steamy beacon that was pointing all wandering eyes towards this spot. Things would be hidden, which would make things easier to keep anonymous to lupine eyes. Kaena agreed with what he thought about keeping away wolves with curious dispositions—for the wolves’ sakes as well as Inferni’s security. Or so Snake told himself. In truth, he simply did not want curious innocents hurt.

Eventually he settled down next to the strange pool of warm water, his tail curled around his paws to protect them from the chill as he listened to the tale of Inferni’s history that Kaena told well. She should—she had not only been there for most of it, but she had also been the lorekeeper of the pack (though Snake did not know this personally). There were many fluctuating leaders whose names Snake did not think important to commit to memory, though Inferni’s history seemed proud when it came to war and protecting their own in a world of wolves. He was very impressed that Inferni alone had survived the purifying fires of the north, and he found himself respecting both Anselm and Gabriel more for making the clan what it was. Of course he respected Kaena as well, because she seemed to lead it well and knew the background. Snake believed that history repeated itself, so it was good to know for the future. She was powerful in that realm.

He became even more attentive when she spoke of the more recent history—history that would pertain to him as he lived in Inferni and found himself amongst the ties it had with the rest of the wolf packs. A grim expression crossed his impassive face when she mentioned a leader of Dahlia de Mai killing a mother and child and leaving them for Inferni—violent death was meant for the battlefield, as Snake believed. Innocents were not meant for such things, and it made wheels of anger boil inside of him… though it was certainly not enough to affect him much externally. Phoenix Valley seemed like much less of a threat—which is what it would turn out to be—as early trespassing in the life of a pack was usually just getting situated. Clearly, Dahlia de Mai was what they would have to look out for, especially if the murderer was still amongst their ranks. From Kaena’s facial expression, he guessed that he was—and he had no idea that whom she meant was actually Haku Soul, whom he had already had a run-in with near the borders. If it were so, well. He would have an even more colorful opinion of that pack.

“So, Dahlia is largely our only enemy… We do not have any other problems,” he said, stating more than he was questioning. He was silent for a moment, wistful as he thought and pondered. Then he noticed that, when he looked at his leader, the shadows of the oncoming dusk were partially obscuring her. He had barely noticed the time tick by like that.

“Thank you very much for spending time with me, Kaena—I enjoyed learning about the pack, as well as discovering these springs,” he said honestly, though his voice was just as emotionless as ever, “But I think I should start heading back if I wish to get home before nightfall.” And he did not want to trek through the sunless Inferni lands. It got really, really cold.

So after proper farewells, he left his scarred and, truthfully, fascinating leader behind. He found himself with more respect for Inferni and those who made her up at her core, and… even some loyalty to them. He had once thought them as passing allies, nothing more. But now he felt himself attached to them as a citizen was to their country, a soldier to their commander. It was strange, especially for someone who had been nothing more than a traveling mercenary for so long. Snake would have to think. When he had come here, it was on a passing whim while trying to escape from his parents’ observance. He had thought he would leave eventually. But now he found himself with friends, allies, and enemies to contend with. Loyalties and even the faintest stirrings of emotion were binding him here. He could not leave. Not yet, anyway.

No, it seemed that Snake was in it for the long haul yet, unless something momentous happened. And something momentous was coming… though whether it alienated him from or brought him closer to Inferni was a question yet to be solved.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread