dead to the core.
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... atable.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
OOC: I got way too carried away with this o.O I'm sorry for the huge length of this post! x.x ::Word Count:: 1230

The past had always been a faithful friend of the pale Crimson Dreamer’s, in view of the fact that, for the better part of her life, it had been the closest she had ever come to feeling something towards another choice for a prolonged amount of time. While her brothers had always been close to her, she had failed to associate company with the feeling of belonging she so craved until her relationship with her half-brother turned into something more. Although she had been small in age, she had treasured all the petty things her then mate had given her, knowing that the nomadic influence predominant in her birth pack prevented her from getting attached to the places that became, within the three month period of settling before proceeding with their journeys once more, familiar and safe to her. Her long, tiring walks, her determination to keep up with her mate’s faster pace, her curious nature, had all contributed their fair share into turning her into the agile, lean she-wolf she was now, but they also held the response for her usual timidity and self-awareness. His unexpected loss had, even at that young age, visibly shaken her already fragile foundations in the confidence she put in herself. Having gotten so used to his presence, his absence was much more than just a physical one, and it had taken the ivory femme a long time to be able to rebuild a semblance of self-confidence, at least enough to enable her to relate to those around her and share some of her empathy, instead of allowing it to waste away. It came as a shock, therefore, to Urma, that the hybrid female before her would view the Crimson Dreamer’s straightforwardness with such weary eyes, considering that, if she indeed was the Inferni Aquila’s mother, she certainly had nothing to fear a mere wolf for, less so one that posed no threat whatsoever, judging by stature alone, and as such going without mention of any other drawbacks Urma might have to face in a fight.

It seemed, however, that Naniko was a common link, and the white femme silently thanked the darkness that would prevent the female coyote from seeing relief wash over her blanched features. It wasn’t that this meeting lacked anything in particular-- it would have been unfair of the pearl she-wolf to consider Kaena as unkind simply because she did not respond to her forthcomingness in as light a manner as would have been expected. Indeed, had Urma known of the underlying aspects of the conflict between wolves and coyotes, she would most certainly not have questioned the clan’s second-in-command’s attitude. As it stood, however, the ivory-furred femme had little knowledge of the exact causes of this mutual hatred-- partly because she was generally kind-hearted, and partly because she came from a different land, in which conflict was most of the times outright, the enmity between the two sides involved failed to permeate the female’s otherwise keen senses as to why this reserved attitude had to be kept with everyone.

Disregarding the general disquiet that the hybrid seemed to breathe, Urma wagged her tail in consent to the coyote’s remark concerning Naniko’s newest litter. Although she had not seen the pups with her own eyes, she was certain that they lacked none of their parent’s goodwill and friendly nature, and that they would turn out to be a reason of pride instead of dispute, as Urma had initially feared, considering Ehno’s unexpected plunge into fatherhood at a time when his sister did not view the mother of her brother’s children with anything but silent contempt. “I haven’t had time to venture in the direction of Phoenix Valley as of yet, but I will make sure it becomes one of my priorities during the next few days. I can imagine that they are indeed lovely,” the alabaster Crimson Dreamer responded, feeling a deep pang of loss at not having yet given birth herself to any offsprings. “I feel confident that Naniko will be a splendid mother to them-- as she has been to all her children thus far, whether they admit it or not,” she continued, her conversation with Naniko back in Halifax prompting her to add the last part. She could still remember how her equally white-furred friend had talked about her children, who were at the time drifting apart from her, but whom Naniko, as any caring mother, regarded with as much affection and pride as always.

The conversation now moved in the direction of Hybrid, and the pale Crimson Dreamer pulled her ears back in discomfort. The male coyote was not a topic Urma found that she could breach easily, if only because it brought a new wave of guilt and sadness and anger all rolled up into one single feeling. From Gabriel’s words she had gathered that Hybrid was merely a tool, much alike a puppet or a stubborn, spoiled child, left to his own devices and amusements, knowing that these would keep outsiders well away from the coyote clan’s borders. Urma neither agreed, nor disagreed with the de le Poer male in this respect, considering it to be his responsibility. She also remembered his disquieting words related to his having seen Pilot in the condition to which Hybrid’s treatment had reduced him. Urma had been certain then, as she was now, that the Aquila had not been lying when he had said that Pilot enjoyed being Hybrid’s toy. She had not seen her beloved friend for so long now that it felt almost impossible to the blanched femme not to believe certain things that were being brought to her attention, simply because the male she had known and loved, the male she still loved, despite all odds, was merely a blurred shape in her mind, a semblance of the wolf she remembered. Although she treasured Pilot dearly, she was also aware of the fact that it could easily be that she was just as well treasuring a ghost of his former self, a self she had no means of finding out still coincided with the flesh-and-bone one. Kaena’s question reached her mind, now focused on her own emotions, like a soft breeze, and it took a while for it to settle. Once it did, however, Urma raised her head so that her golden gaze was level with the clan sub-leader's and said simply, “He took away someone who was very dear to me.” A moment of silence passed before she felt capable to continue, her voice betraying the strain this was putting her under. “Although my beloved is not dead, nor is he far from it. I have searched for him almost for an entire year, without success, without even knowing that as I pushed onwards aimlessly into unknown territory, he was being held by Hybrid. To be honest, from what your son has told me, I no longer know if it was against his will or not. But I have not seen him for more than a full cycle of the Earth now, and I am not certain I will ever find him, because I am at a loss as to who I am looking for, precisely.” Her tone was almost as quiet as a whisper, leaden with loss and unfulfilled expectancy.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread