Setting off...don't expect to see this place again
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... bott0m.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:240px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#252237">
It took me longer to write and edit that private message than it will to write this post XD Also, as an explanation for the last sentence, Jantus's daughter, Vel, has been drifting away from the family. He's been worried that she'll have gone off and become a loner by the time he returns.

Jantus looked up from his musings, focusing on the image of a white wolf in the distance. He cocked his head...depth wasn't exactly his strength, having only one eye, but he knew the terrain well enough by now to mark her distance. He flashed a welcoming smile and raised his hands and beckoned her over. As she came closer, he sat down, not wanting to appear threatening. The fact was that this area was similar to Wintermark, where he'd grown up. Less war meant less idle shift; more time spent with all four legs on the ground without habitually remaining large for defensive purposes. In such a place, he supposed that he would be the unusual one. It was alright, though: he had undone his belt a while ago and it was already resting on the grass some distance off, so at least he wouldn't be armed while receiving her on top of shifted.

"Come on in," he laughed. "You're not on Phoenix Valley territory, though, that's a few hundred yards off beyond here. You've come across the unmarked squatting grounds of Jantus and company, if I may call us that." He proceeded to make an expression of mock thoughtfulness before continuing with unabashed flair, "I guess since they're not around, I can call us whatever I want. The name's Jantus, and I'm the de facto leader of this little camping party. If you haven't met them already, there are a fair number of us out in the woods either hunting, talking...or sleeping." He smiled a bit wider at the last bit. He'd been sleeping until very recently. He knew his sisters were still warm in the little dug-out they'd made a while back. As usual, the kids had been the first awake, followed by Skirnir and then the coyotes. He was awake enough now, though.

"This area isn't claimed by us, so if you're on your way somewhere, go on through, though I'd ask you stay to my left. My group's likely to start nipping if they find you close to the kids." Nipping was an understatement, though he trusted most of his companions to ask before they bit. They were, after all, just outside of Phoenix Valley territory. Jefferson had been more than generous with them, and it was fortunate that they had not been asked to vacate further off. Apparently, behaving your massive group when deep inside pack territory got you some points with these people...at least enough to be uncontested for the weeks they'd been squatting here whiling their days away. He supposed it had been foolish not to leave sooner...now they'd have snow to contend with on their way back. Still...better to be sure the kids were where they wanted to be now than to have them go home without getting a strong slug of this place. He only hoped that his own children were still back home when he got there. Despite his duties, he managed to maintain a devil-may-care personality most of the time...it was strange to find himself caring so much about something like this...stranger still that it was something that he could do nothing about, not with all the strength in his body, not with all the love in his heart, it seemed.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread