I am the shoreline, but you're the sea
[html]
    Even though he was not looking her (he could not stand to see her in that moment) he heard the distress in her tone. It was a terrible thing; something that reminded him of a rabbit, snared in a hunters trap. Something else, though, something else hung in her words. He knew it, by God, he knew what it was but could not place it. It fell prey to the cold wind, which cut across his face and stung the old scar on his muzzle. This reminded him, suddenly, why he could not afford arrogance. Why Inferni could not afford his mother’s arrogance.
    Only then, did he turn, face malevolent and eyes burning in the ever inconstant moonlight. “None of you are,” he growled, whiskers curling upwards. “I put too much into this clan to let you threaten it.” Gabriel did not advance—he did not trust himself that much. “First you let that bastard son of yours waltz in against my wishes, then you fucking hide something like this from me? That girl isn’t your goddamned property!” He barked suddenly, feeling Rikka’s influence rushing up from his memory. She had been horrified, and frankly, Gabriel was not far behind. “You’re not right, you’re acting like one of them!” Even though he did not think about it then, subconsciously, Gabriel knew that would cut her deep. His mother had spent so long fighting to maintain her identity as a coyote that nothing beyond attacking her children (something Gabriel had done before) would ruin her.
    He needed her to understand, and this was all that mattered. If she hurt, she would realize what he needed her to. Conri had come to that knowledge, when he had shattered his ribs, laughing. Hybrid understood, but Hybrid had always understood him. Even Haku, though Gabriel would never admit it, understood this. This was how things had to be.

table by alli

[/html]

Messages In This Thread