we're going to have a strange life.
[html]

#words=418 <3 this thread

Anselm wasn't entirely sure what he expected her to say or do, but her outright rejection of his offer hit pretty hard. His ears fell back dejectedly and he padded forward slowly with a questioning whine--as she elaborated further, however, his apprehension bubbled away.

Initially he did not know what she was talking about; although he was an intelligent creature, he was frankly as uncultured as they came. He'd heard of impressive foreign empires and civilisations, but half a world away they seemed more like fairy tales or legends than reality. He found that he passively enjoyed these stories of far away places, much as he liked to observe the refined conventions of his own nation--religion, song, and dance--from a distance.

These were things that were fun to think about but he'd never have the enthusiasm of his cousins--say Rikka or Corona--when it came to travel and experiencing the world to its fullest. If anything, he could be rather crass. If the European men were as charming as their women, who knew what sort of real gentleman she'd been acquainted with in the past; maybe he just couldn't stack up in comparison. Was it strange that they both fretted over whether or not they were good enough for the other?

And then when her explanation was complete, he did the only thing he could: he laughed. It was a warm, hearty chuckle that betrayed relief above all else; he certainly wasn't mocking her. And here I thought it might be something grave.. like you didn't like me, he said impishly as he closed the distance between them and lightly nuzzled her cheek.

I guess this was a little much, eh? he wondered at last, feeling much more at ease. So many years and women later, he still didn't know what the hell he was doing. I didn't expect anything in return; I only hoped for your companionship. I doubt your sister would find out; 'n if she did, she could politely get over it, he concluded with a shrug. Unintentionally his words were a bit harsh--but if they had fallen out of each others' liking, hopefully the painted woman wouldn't mind the slight diss on her older sibling.

Why don't we eat? he suggested, retrieving the tiny vole. It was pinched delicately between his front teeth, as if he were ready to cleave it in twain just as soon as she came forward to accept her half. He really hoped she would.

<style>
.anselm-t3 p {padding:0px 10px 10px 10px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.anselm-t3 b {color:#d4a060; }
.anselm-t3-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.anselm-t3 {background-color:#493a26; padding:10px 0px 250px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://zero.sleepyglow.net/images/tables/road.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family:tahoma, helvetica, san-serif; font-size:12px; color:#ae9473; width:420px; text-align:justify; line-height:13px; }
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread