There are things I do
Firefly felt like she was choking on everything she had said as one word fell from her son’s lips. Her ears pinned back against her skull as her shoulders sagged. She didn’t know what to say and for once she knew enough to keep her mouth shut. She didn’t want to even sit here a moment longer, knowing now that Conor wanted nothing to do with her. He wouldn’t even give herself a chance to redeem herself. Instead she just bowed her head and nodded silently, attempting to keep the tears at bay.

After that one word was spoken she should have known that there was no sense in thinking that he would even believe a word she spoke. Instead she just sat there and took what he had to give her, knowing that she probably deserved it in some part. A spark in anger blossomed from her chest as she raised her head slowly and eyed the boy who she’d loved so once and still did, even if he didn’t believe it. She spoke sharply as she eyed her son in annoyance. ”It doesn’t matter what I tell you, you’ll believe only what you want to hear.” She turned her gaze away from him as she finished. ”I won’t try and offer any reason for anything I do now, I only hope you’ll learn to curb your narrow mind.” She knew what she said was cruel but he had pushed her far enough. She had made her mistakes but she was trying, obviously pointlessly to make amends.

His words on Cercelee left chills rolling down Firefly’s back as she watched him. She didn’t know if he meant that as in the war that came to their door or the point in leaving his father in charge. She didn’t press farther to find out though, Conor seemed to be in a sour enough mood already because of her presence and she didn’t want to push it any farther. She flicked her ears back and forth as she sighed. So Conor seemed to think that they would be able to protect their own, even when they were in the middle of war. ”Fine, just know there is aid if needed for those that wish to escape.” She narrowed her eyes as she added. ”Are you going to protect them all if the war makes it into the pack’s lands.” She turned her eyes away a moment as she tried to regain control over her annoyance.

Firefly and Mew had never been great friends but when she heard Conor’s side of the story she jerked her head back quickly to stare at him, her eyes wide before she frowned. Her voice was bitter as she added. ”Did you ask your father why they might have attacked?” She knew he would probably doubt the words she brought forth but she moved on. ”He attacked, Kaena, one of the leaders of Inferni. Then Inferni attacked. She didn’t add that she wouldn’t be surprised if the assault had more to do than just maiming her. She hadn’t pressed Anselm for the details but perhaps she would later. She just stared at him quietly, her eyes unmoving as she asked one more question, ”Why are there traps set around Dahlia de Mai?” She didn’t know if he would answer but she had to ask.

Messages In This Thread