ashes against the grain
[html]
It was strange, though he had only visited this place once before under the supervision of his mother, that he had never realised just how close it was to Jaded Shadows. It was a place easily entangled in the history in his family (though never as greatly as Syemv, in his mind). No matter the season, it was always a hazy, foggy sort of place with eerie undertones blended in against its dark wood. It had been on an absent whim he had come across a violin, perched himself into a tree and played, inadvertently adding to the mysticism of the quiet air. He was by all means not an expert of playing such an instrument, but he was far from a beginner, having picked up the entertaining skill from the time he had learned to stand on two feet. Though the weathered body of the violin caused it to play slightly off-tune, he only thought that to add to its unique sound. As untravelled as the Haunted Forest seemed to be, he doubted his chances of drawing anyone in to listen, giving him the free reign of playing as he pleased.
[/html]
He had been to these lands more times that he could count, he was always wanting to know stuff about the land where his mother and father meet, and there they lived. Lucifer still felt like there was a magic in the lands. A magic that no matter what happened here, that they couldn't take away. He dreamed of the day when these lands would wake up and become what they once where, a wonderful kingdom, full with it's own set of drama and misery.

The magical sounds of lands sung to him, they where not with out flaws, though heck the male hadn't picked up a thing so he wasn't able to pick out there there was flat spots, though maybe that was just how the wind sounded going though the nearly bear trees. The male heart thumped deep in his chest, as his face twisted up into a smile, as he walked into the lands seeing the black male with the..the thing that Lucifer thought was from the lands.

"Not half shabby, frankly quite good. I though it was from the lands."
[html]
http://twilight.silens.net/rp/val/t04.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Alas, unfortunate was he who was stumbled upon by someone who he only knew by smell. Someone who, by all means by stature alone was quite higher-ranked, if not a bit older. Like the off-tune sound of the violin dying away at his abrupt stop, a crooked, thin smile found its way to Valentine's face easily. “Thank you,” he replied at first, adjusting his stance with his back against the narrow trunk of the tree. “I would not be surprised if this place didn't attribute to the sound, as queer as it is. I would say that perhaps it made its own sound, but then I think I would be thinking of another place.” One place he had been through by accident and unscripted; the Moaning Wood. But Valentine didn't know the intricacies behind it, and unfortunately his interest didn't lie there.

“I think I've seen you around though. I'm Valentine,” he offered in a hopeful exchange for the other's acquaintance. Not feeling as though he would be leaving Jaded Shadows for his former home, he had little reservation now when it came to meeting those who he would have any opportunity to eventually converse with. Little did he know that he had also heard of this dark-haired fellow once before in his meeting with Deuce, and perhaps on a level of irony they may have even crossed paths before. But like many things Valentine remembered, there were also a fair share of those that he did not. Syemv was a fuzzy memory, fading a little bit more day by day as he aged.

[/html]
[html]
Lucifer couldn't help but to let a smile creep out onto his face at the male's statement. The land did have it's own odd sound.Though surely the younger black male had his own skill at playing that human object that he was playing. If he didn't hold any skills he had fooled him, would that make his a master at trickery? Lucifer gave a soft chuckle as he rolled his shoulders back.

"Well my name is Lucifer, Lucifer Kasmot Sawtooth. Mom and Dad had a thing about names, one after a god, and the other two family names."The male was still to this day pretty darn clueless that Lucifer was a name of a demon in the humans Christianity, heck he didn't even really know what god he was named after, maybe Charm knew...maybe she would come back one day and tell him. Highly unlikely, though still it was a hope for his. "Ya know...we could have. Before you came to Jaded Shadows, Where did you live?"Maybe he had meet him on one of his travel before he came back to these lands, it would be rather odd it that was where they had meet before.
[/html]
[html]
http://twilight.silens.net/rp/val/t01.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
“Looks like we've got that in common,” Valentine said with a chuckle, realising that he wasn't the only one who had been given quite an interesting name. Where ever it was that his parents had decided on ‘Valentine’ was truthfully beyond him, but he liked the name. Liked it enough that it was almost annoying when someone shortened it down too much, as his father did from time to time. But that aside, as he climbed down from the boughs of the bare tree, there was bound to be a little more than just crazy names for them to share.

“I was born in Syemv, and lived there until I was about half a year old.” He was silent for a moment, testing a branch before moving further down, and continue his story after the short drop down the snowy ground below. “But I've spent the last year or so of my life near a quaint little place upstream river from a port called Eastport.” The chances of them having crossed paths there was little though. Valentine would have thought he'd remembered him if they had met that way, at least.
[/html]
[html]
Lucifer watched the male, he was glad that he wasn't the only one with the odd name, though he thought maybe his name had more meaning be hide it, then 'Hey this sounds like a good name' The black male rubbed his chin, watching the male trying to figure out if they have in fact crossed paths. The male stepped back giving the other male some room to get down, resting his back upon a tree, as he let his wild hair fall in front of his face. His blue eyes looked down at the ground. Pushing his head up, he looked to the male."I lived in Syemv for about six months, Akumu was the leader, and then shortly after that Phasma took up the rank of alpha...then I left. Maybe you know either of them?"

Lucifer hadn't a clue that before him stood the son of the past leader named Akumu, he was the son of her and a male named Cross. Lucifer lived there during a time where he didn't keep tabs on who was mated to who, and how many pups there where in the lands. He was pretty lucky if Hymm was around for him to beat up, and Charm wasn't there to beat him up. How did he get to be so lucky?
[/html]
[html]
http://twilight.silens.net/rp/val/t01.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
On the bright side of things, at least they had been around at the same time. The way that amused, wiry grin spread across his face may have been like his mother's in more than one way, especially in the crooked way that it moved. “I'd say we may have crossed paths if you were around then. Akumu is my mother,” he said, “and I also know Phasma. I guess if we crossed paths, I probably don't remember it, being as young as I was.”

Not that of course, he was super old either. Valentine was just shy of his second birthday, and despite being about as adult as one could be, he was still picking up things to learn. He was quite far from having a good direction to go on. “How long have you been back here, and with Jaded Shadows?” Though he now knew about how Syemv had met its untimely demise, it still didn't stop him from trying to reconnect with someone who had been there. Syemv had been a bit of an ‘extended’ family, anyway.
[/html]
[html]

It was odd that the two boys so close in age, so close in looks that they hadn't crossed ways before, Lucifer wasn't that good with his memory but he was able to match a name and face with each one that they both spoke of, memories of his child hood resting in the sunning room. Yes them where the good times, when the best thing in the world was when his black mother came home and brought food with her. Worst was when some one came into his room, though Akumu made sure that he learned that he was going to learn to share. Lucifer couldn't help but to laugh at the thoughts of Akumu. "Your mother put me in a hat box once, I was so mad at her."

In fact the male hated her till about a year ago, when he was alone and had time to think back over his past, he hated Deuce, and every one attached to these lands, up till that time, he swore he wouldn't be back when he ran the first time, but he was glad he made a lier out of him-self.

He looked back to the Cross, as he counted, how long had it been? Three four months? It seemed like it was longer, Deuce and him had been fighting the whole time he had been in these lands, the only time was before she came to the lands, he worked his hardest time then."I think....four months, what about you?"

[/html]
Lmfao, I had completely forgotten all about that thread until Lucifer mentioned being shut in a hat box. Oh man, that thread was epic. XD

[html]
A hearty laugh escaped Valentine to know that he had never been the only one to be fouled by his mother's unorthodox parenting practices, though he regained his composure and elaborate for his laughter quickly. “She shut me in many things when I was growing up. Boxes, closets, once in a chest… but I eventually learned how to get out of them as well. I certainly gave both of my parents a lot of grief when I was younger,” and then he had gotten over being a brat about things. Perhaps that was because at one point in his life he was afraid that he would end up with siblings that would be more well behaved, and in turn, favoured over him. His confidence and self-esteem had its ups and downs over that, but so far he had lucked out as being the only progeny of theirs.

“And I guess I'd have to say that I've only been here a week or so. Maybe a little longer, give or take a couple of days.” Even better, he hadn't quite been hit by any homesick blues, albeit he had been homesick for the longest time when it came to Syemv. Even that left a bad taste in his mouth when he thought of what it had become, but it was neither here nor there. “Jaded Shadows is certainly something with all of the family and its history, don't you think? I can't say I've seen anything quite like it before with all of the work they've done to those caverns.” Hard to think that this was what his mother eventually missed out on, though he was sure that she had her fun dabbling after a Russian pirate. She had never been one for architecture anyway.
[/html]
Lucifer wasn't sure if he should laugh at the male, they shared one thing, if not the packs that they lived in. Lucifer smiled as he lifted his head up with a small chuckle. Akumu, god how he missed her, he could use her blunt words once in a while. She had dealt with many of the things that he was going though in life, she could have told him more then once now to shut up and deal. He was sure that the black male would have some of his mother temperament in him, but the fact he hadn't see it yet. Maybe he was just blind to it, or hadn't sparked it.

"It's home away from home. Your mom would have loved it here." Lucifer, wished that all of the old friends of his past, would just come back from where ever they where and come to the lands, and joined. The male, gave a soft smile."The past is something that we miss, but when the past is present we hate it."
[html]
“Oh, if that isn't the truth,” Valentine added to his words, laughing. Hopefully, in his case, there wouldn't be any faces from the past to deal with. He had gotten away from his friends and family for more than one reason and it wasn't for the idea of a sabbatical. “You seem like a fellow who knows how to have a good time—what do you folks do around here for fun, anyway?” Surely, surely there was someone who had an enjoyment for the finer things that they were capable of taking advantage of that wasn't old enough to be his parent. He wanted someone to connect with on more than one level; age wasn't really that level, either.
[/html]
Fun? That was something the Lucifer hadn't had in to long, ever since he left Clouded Tears to come to Jaded Shadow, all he had ever done was work, he made sure that every rank that was thrown his way he worked hard to make the job done, to above what was called for, the male kept a mental log of things about things in hid life, beings and people he had meet, things that kept him going day to day. The male thought..thought hard before he spoke..he didn't know really how to word what he was going to say."I work from the second I wake till I sleep. It's all I know."

The male felt odd saying that, then again, his mate was almost three years older then him. His whole group that he looked up to, or talked to was three years plus older then him. He had never really thought about it much his step daughter was before Valentine, was the closet one that he talked to, and that was always about her mother, and him trying to pawn her off onto her, it was shallow but she dealt well with her.
[html]
Strike two. It always left a bit of a sour taste in his mouth to get answers like that, though he had a feeling he was going to get a lot of those answers, for some reason. But what exactly could he say? His mind mulled through options quickly, selecting an answer and rolling it off of his tongue. “Bummer. What kind of work do you do all day?” Normally he would have felt it necessary to recite “All work and no play,” but Lucifer was far from a dull boy. Or man, depending on how he chose to look at it. Of course, the thought didn't entirely occur to him that perhaps rank constituted job, either.
[/html]
The work that he did all day was work that kept him away from the den, only stopping into the pack for dropping off kills, or to sleep. He could eat while working, making sure that pack had food first then finding him-self something nice to eat also. Lucifer tried to make his responds not so harsh, he didn't want to scare off a member of the pack one that could bring a lot to the pack, not just only his spunk but things that he could learn, or pick up, or heck even knew because of his mother or father.

"I hunt, I make sure that every one has more then enough to eat." it was an all day job, and he hoped that Deuce would buy it for the reason why he hadn't been around, not since the start of the time as one in this pack had he been in this for more then a day, heck even in illness he would go out and try to hunt and track the animals. Any thing to keep him out and away from Deuce he was willing to do, heck that was part of the reason why he was standing there now.
[html]
“Now that's quite a task, being a hunter,” as though he had ever done much of it. His parents were both superb hunters, but Valentine danced around the topic in favour of delving into other things. He was far from the primal creatures that his parents were which was both fortunate and unfortunate. His almost-human qualities were out of place and awkward in comparison to those who he had met and yet it hardly deterred him. Almost scary, from a standpoint. “Do you hunt with claws or bows? Or guns, even?” He figured, keep trying because after all, one of those times the square peg was going to go in the round hole because the hole was going to be massive and the peg was going to be a pinhead. Give options, give madness! Give it all.
[/html]
He was happy that there was something that the two was finally had something they could talk about. The male had been hunting for a while now, he had been using hunting to get out of the pack lands and to stay away from Deuce for some time now. The blue eyed male looked, there was other ways of hunting? Lucifer thought about it, sure there was many ways of doing things, but he was raised by being that wanted things to stay the way the humans did it, there was guns. Guns that shot things out, and that was something Lucifer didn't want to touch ever again."Never done by bow. I've shot a gun more then I would like, I've killed with a knife, and a few times by claw."
[html]
Bow-hunting was certainly beneficial, but also a very tricky practice. Valentine was only lucky that he had decent aim, though hitting a moving target was a lot harder than one that stood perfectly still. Guns were also a thing that was foreign to him, though he had seen plenty of them. To south, some preferred them, but many avoided them for the sake of ancestry and stories that had trickled down through the generations. It was simply better that some of man's tools were not utilized. “You'd have to be pretty quick on two feet to use a knife,” he surmised, though he didn't doubt Lucifer's ability to hunt because of his build for it. “I prefer being clever than springing on things though. Pitfalls and snares are fun to set up and especially fun to watch when the prey falls for the trap. The expression that deer get when they fall in a hole is worth seeing.”
[/html]
OOC: God Koof I am so sorry!

Lucifer laughed, the site of the buck falling into the hole would be priceless, and humors in a sad way. Lucifer nodded, he understood where the male was coming from, as sad as it was to kill he knew he had to do it in order to make a living for him and the pack. They couldn't go with out hunting and killing, that was a part of there primal past that seemed to hunt them no matter how many times they mutated to get away from it. Lucifer had never seen this in action, it would be helpful for the pack if he learned other ways of hunting. "I can say I've never thought about that, I'll have to learn how to set it all up correctly, that way I can see these faces that you talk about."
That's okay. I'm going to pull Valentine out here, 'cause I really need to finish up my threads. <3

They're pretty easy to set up so I doubt you'll have a problem with them, he replied, hoping that it surely would add to the arsenal of knowledge that the hunter knew. Valentine would have liked to have a set profession himself, but he took much pride in knowing a little bit about everything, whether or not he was good at it. One day it would probably help keep him alive and extend his chances of survival... especially in a place like where they were. Well, I should probably be getting back to the dens. Didn't really sleep too much last night and the cold's startin' to get to me so a little warmth and forty winks might do me the trick. Guess I'll be seein' you around another time. Passing up his newfound buddy, Valentine simply made a beeline back in the way he had come.