as someone sets light to the first fire of autumn.
[html]<style type="text/css">#grace-02 { width: 450px; background: #25151f url(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s41 ... lebg02.png) bottom center no-repeat; margin: 0px auto; border: 3px solid #fff; outline: 1px solid #000; font: 11px verdana, sans-serif; color: #6c6874; line-height: 13pt; text-align: justify; } #grace-02 #inner { background: transparent url(http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s41 ... tbg02b.png) top center repeat; margin: 10px 10px 500px 10px; border: 1px solid #000; } #grace-02 #inner p { margin: 10px; text-indent: 0px; } #grace-02 #inner p.ooc, #grace-02 #inner .speak, #grace-02 #inner a { font: 13px courier new, monospace; color: #7fa198; } #grace-02 #inner .taj { font: 13px courier new, monospace; color: #748d86; } #grace-02 #inner .wotd { color: #748d86; } #grace-02 #inner p.details { font: 9px verdana, sans-serif; text-indent: 10px; color: #748d86; }</style>

For Gemma, Serena Reserve. Word Count: 503.

» Background Information: Gemma would have sent word with Taj no later than, say 9/19-9/21, in order for Grace to receive the letter in time to prepare and set out. (Letters by crow would take about a week to deliver.) Let me know when she might have been able to send that letter, and I'll edit it in here.

» Travel Information: Roughly 800 miles, estimated 10 days travel, with rest. Travel occurs 9/29-10/10. Arrival is roughly sometime the morning of 10/11.

Grace was fast asleep when Taj returned with a letter from Gemma. He swooped in through the window, landing square on her chest and cawing urgently. Without opening her eyes, she reached up and removed the thin, flexible leather pouch she had designed for letter-carrying. Taj, pleased to be free of the blasted thing, stretched his wings and cawed again, then pecked at her hands, which held the letter case as she drifted back to sleep. A groan was her reply, and she flopped onto her stomach, hiding her hands under the pillow, and mumbling her disdain. The crow fluttered, off-balance as she rolled, and hovered above her for a moment before landing on her head and pecking, gently and yet very, very insistently. "Wake!" he insisted. She groaned again. "Read! Danger!"

That last word got her attention. She rolled over, slightly begrudgingly, and put on her best pout as she opened the letter. "This had better be impressive, Taj..." She skimmed the letter, her face creasing in a frown. Slowly, recognition dawned. There really was danger... and she may be one of the only tribesmen to have access to what they would need to rebuild. She had been meaning to go back, of course; this was as good a reason as any, however unfortunate. But time was of the essence, of course. She sighed and smiled wryly at Taj. "Right, got me there. It was important. Thanks, buddy." She rose from her bed, yawning and stretching. "Guess I'd better round up the troops."

The next two weeks were arduous, the crasis of which was spent preparing to travel, and then traveling. Her siblings had consented to assist her, all save for Janan, who was tending her first litter and could not leave them. She and Gabriel, her littermate and eternal rival, led the excursion. The three younger siblings - Cairo, Fedora, and Luka - took directions and assisted as they could. Cairo and Luka were charged with the leads of livestock: Cairo with cows and pigs, and Luka with goats and sheep. Grace, Fedora, and Gabriel guided horse-drawn carts, filled to capacity with every manner of useful items: tool kits for building and crafting, nails, ropes, herbs, bandages, salves, woven fabric, leather. Whatever could be spared was brought. Bags of feed for the livestock were delved into during the journey, with still yet more to spare. Grace was never so grateful for her family; she loved AniWaya, and by proxy, her family extended their support.

By the time they arrived at the border, they were exhausted, well beyond ready to rest. Grace called to Gemma, who would know to expect her; she had sent Taj with a letter discussing her plan before they left, and he would have arrived a few days before she did. Sure enough, he was the first to greet her, swooping down and landing on her head. He cawed a greeting, and Grace laughed, despite her exhaustion. "Hello, friend. I'm home. Did you miss me terribly? Where's Gemma?"

[/html]