And this fire will guide you home...
Sorry, I'm not very good at starting threads...[html]

Aneira 

Word Count: 286

Aneira and Laelia had made their way to the village with little trouble, aside from a wrestling match that resulted when Anne finally caught up with Leah. The two were now dirtier than when they had crossed the borders of their new home.

Leah finally came to a stop long enough to pull her mane back into it's ponytail. Hey, slow down Anne! she laughed.

Anne was looking around solemnly, an odd reversal of roles. "It's all really different, isn't it?"
Leah shifted uncomfortably. "Yeah, it is..." So far absolutely everything about this place was different from the place they were born. Leah nudged her companion in the side, smiling cheekily. "Smile, huh? We're okay. Let's look around some more."

For a time they poked around the village, chatting and discussing possible places they could take up residence. (usually resulting in a rather loud "debate" about the suitability of said area.)

After a time, they settled down to rest beside an ancient maple on the southern edge of the village. They hid in the lee of a large boulder that rested at the base of this tree, partially tucked into a cleft in the stone created form centuries of ice and snow.

Anne already had a small blaze going on a flat area of stone (Leah had always wondered how her friend could conjure a blaze almost out of thin air) though she didn't appear vey cold herself. Anne had noticed the other girl shivering slightly, and knew she wouldn't complain.

The two considered their options in silence, since they obviously couldn't sleep outside, cold as it was.

So far they hadn't run into anyone, but of course that could not be the case for long...

<style type="text/css">
.Aneira001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#45300f; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Aneira001ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-align:right;}
.Aneira001 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Aneira001 {margin:0 auto; width:377px; background-color:#9b8a5c; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ira001.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 250px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Very few people are Smile (I know I'm not...)

Word Count: 452

Yumiko was in the village for the first time in a while, since the town meeting announcing the pack's position in the war, and wasn't surprised to see it very much as she had left it. After all, she'd been there... a whole month, already. She shook her head, amazed. She'd never imagined fitting into a place well enough to stay there this long. It just didn't seem right, somehow.

She wasn't sure why she was there, exactly, other than to do some more exploring. She'd seen plenty of the forests and lands of AniWaya, but somehow, for some reason, had avoided the actual village unless necessary. She had decided to remedy that this morning and, here she was. Walking down the middle of the main road, her head swivelling often to examine the houses on either side and the various plants that overflowed from roadside gardens. She smiled. That was why she didn't have a home in the main village; they'd managed to do what the ancient humans had done, and were slowly taking over the planet once again. She was a harmoneous creature and stayed, peacfully, where she thought she belonged.

A faint crackling noise caught her attention, and brought her off the main road to a large maple tree with a little fire burning away underneath. The light was obvious despite the boulder obscuring the flames themselves, but nothing else cast such a light, especially in the colder weather. Treading carefully, she walked to the other side of the boulder while giving it a WIDE berth so as not to frighten whoever had built the fire. She saw two young wolves, both female with one being surprisingly close in colouration to herself (blonde wolves were quite rare), and was surprised to sense that both were not a part of her tribe. She raised a hand in greeting anyway, sensing no harm or even dominance from either. She figured she'd find out why two outsiders were in their village soon enough. She walked closer and called out over the crackling fire. "Hey! Sorry, I heard your fire and had to see what it was. I'm Yumiko." She said calmly and sweetly. She frowned as she noticed one of the girls shivering, despite the fire. As one who hated cold with every fibre of her being, Yumiko understood; she was only alright because she'd only been outisde her den maybe an hour. Did these two not have a home?

Not wanting to assume anything, she calmly stood at a careful distance from them, allowing them to introduce themselves or maybe to just send her away for interfering. Whatever their wishes, she'd obey; she wasn't one to fight even with her words.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
.Yum001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffd2; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Yum001ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-familyTonguealatino, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3b2215; text-align:center;}
.Yum001 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Yum001 {margin:0 auto; width:383px; background-color:#dac1cf; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ach001.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #3b2215; padding: 0px 0px 235px 0px; font-family: Palatino, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3b2215; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Whoop, figured out how to use this! Anyway, sorry this one is a bit short, it'll be longer as we go on.

Word Count:227

Leah's head jerked up suddenly, like a startled deer. "I hear someone." Anne looked in the same direction in time to catch a much older female walk just outside the glow cast by their fire. Anne glanced at the red girl, and noted she was alert, but not tense, and that the chills were subsiding.

You should have told me the cold was that bad, idiot.

Reassured, she replied to the older woman "Hi, I'm Anne, and this is Leah." She nudged the red girl beside her, who gave a polite nod and busily avoided the older blonde wolfesses (Yumiko's) gaze. "Un, the boss guy said we could stay here. Well, not here exactly, but in your pack." Anne didn't notice that other blonde wolves were scarce. It ran in her family, and thier last pack had quite a few besides.

She grinned with a friendly wag of her tail. "I don't suppose you'd know a good place to bed down for the night - an old building or something?"

Leah added a few more sticks to the fire, and then a small log they had found sheltered under a pine. She wasn't ignoring the newly arrived wolfess, she just considered Anne's greeting one from both of them. She really didn't prefer to talk to strangers (come to think of it, even most people she knew) anyway.

<style type="text/css">
.Aneira001ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-align:right;}
.Aneira001 {margin:0 auto; width:377px; background-color:#9b8a5c; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ira001.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 250px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Don't worry about length; I tend to think I have nothing to say, and write a LOT to make up for it. It's a vicious cycle >>;

Word Count: 477

Yumiko nodded, smiling, at their names and noticed that only one of them replied to her. Was the other one shy, or maybe couldn't speak? Or was Anne just more dominant or even just older? She stored their relationship into the deep recesses of her mind and focused on the two newcomers once more. Her suspicions were confirmed when Leah avoided her gaze completely, only giving her a slight nod to indicate she was listening. Yumiko wasn't offended, she was just concerned about Leah's ability to help the pack and even to help herself. As one who was VERY submissive herself when confronted, she understood Leah's fears and hoped she'd come out of her shell a little more like she did herself, with time.

Anne said that the 'old one' (she smirked subconciously at the thought) had allowed the pair to stay in the pack. "Ah, you've met Dawali. He's very understanding. I met him... a month ago, myself." Her ears twitched as she realised how much time had passed. It was amazing for her to think about. She barely even had nightmares about her parents anymore, and thinking that very thought no longer filled her with utmost dread. It would seem that being around others, especially new people she needed to work at to keep a friendship with, was doing her more good than she had realised.

Anne asked about lodging and Yumiko stared blankly at her. She had no idea of someplace that didn't require at least a little work, which would take several hours and it was already late. Leah continued to subtly ignore her and feed the fire, although it wasn't a malicious ignoring; simply a shy one. Yumiko was alright with that, but wanted to make her feel more comftorable.

While she mulled Anne's question over, she settled on her haunches on the opposite side of the fire from the girls and warmed her numbing palms. Thankfully the weather was steadily improving. Unfotunately, it was a very sloooow steady. She looked at Anne thoughtfully, and said the truth. "I have no idea. I've only been here maybe a month, and I haven't come across anything like that in my exploring." Not wanting to disappoint, she offered her more helpful advice too. "When you have time you can build a shelter near the village, or dig a den in the forests if you prefer something more of that nature. I'm a cave dweller, myself." Then it struck her. She trusted these two, and they were only pups hovering around the year mark; they were practically half her age and needed help.

She fidgeted, running a claw through the snow near her side. "If you want, you could stay at my new den until you guys get your paws under you. It's a little cramped, though." She glanced away, nervous for so many reasons.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
.Yum001ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-familyTonguealatino, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3b2215; text-align:center;}
.Yum001 {margin:0 auto; width:383px; background-color:#dac1cf; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ach001.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #3b2215; padding: 0px 0px 235px 0px; font-family: Palatino, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3b2215; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Aneira 

Word Count: 268

Aneira saw that Yumiko was a bit puzzled about Leah's silence, and breathed a mental sigh of relief when she did not push the issue. Given a bit of time Leah would open up, but at the slightest provocation she snapped closed like a shy little clam. Leah was already giving Yumiko covert, measuring glances.

Anne nodded in agreement at the older female's words about their new chief. "I like him, he seems nice." Leah moved some coals to a different spot in the fire, and it blazed further into life. Such young fires were delicate things, one had to be careful not to end up with a pile of ashes. "There's a lot we can learn from him." she agreed tranquilly. Her voice was cooler in comparison to her friend's. It was like comparing fall to summer.

When the older woman crouched to warm her hands by the fire, Leah flicked her ears and eyes in Yukino's direction, but did not react in any other way when she catagorised it as "nonviolent".

Anne noticed nothing, since she was focused fully on what Yumiko was saying.
"Yeah, that'd be great...!" she shot the other woman and embarresd smile at her own enthusiasm.
"but me and Leah, we don't like to be in debt you know? We'll do our share of the work 'til we get outta your hair." She wagged her tail with puppish excitement. "It won't be long anyway. We're fast workers." Under more optimal circumstances, they might have just slept outside, but sleeping outside this time of year was a good way to get hypothermia.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]

Edit: Sorry, while I was writing this I was thinking it would have been ironic if you had named her Yukino. Big Grin
[html]

FWI, it's Yumiko *points* Smile Funny Japanese name is funny

Word Count: 385

Anne agreed with Yumiko's description of Dawali, and to her surprise Leah spoke up softly too. She seemed very wise for her tender age, and Yumiko instantly liked her for it. It seemed as though she had little to say because she wasn't one to waste words on meaningless conversation. She was glad that Leah felt comftorable enough to speak around her and didn't waste the opportunity.

Eyes gazing deep into the flames, she told Leah gently, "I think he's an excellent leader. He's very wise, and always willing to help." She hoped he was as competent and helpful as he appeared, for in all honesty she didn't know him very well. Those in the pack seemed to have great respect for their leader and she doubted they were all mistaken. In time, maybe she would get to know him well enough to call him a friend.

When Anne aggreed to Yumiko's rather rash decision to house them for a while, she stopped fidgetting and turned back to look up at her from underneath her long lashes. The woman smiled, embaressed, and she couldn't help but smile back. As for not liking to be in debt, Yumiko grimaced, sharing the resentment towards the idea of owing anyone anything. She was usually the one to offer her help, and it was odd to consider owing someone else for theirs. Not that she had expected anything from the two yearlings, but that they were so eager to please her was a good sign that they could support themselves soon enough.

"That's good to hear. You don't owe me anything, but you can certainly help gather water and food and such. I'm sure you'll find a place in no time," she said with a sparkle in her eye. Anne seemed overjoyed at having found a home, or a friend, or even just someone else to talk to besides the very... very quiet Leah. Speaking of which, since Leah had already made some progress in warming up to her, Yumiko decided to take a chance, albeit a small one. "Leah," she said, adressing her directly so she would know Yumiko wasn't referring to Anne, "are you two siblings? You seem very close." She meant no harm in the question and hoped it wouldn't frigthen Leah back into her shell.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Oh, sorry, while I was writing this I was thinking it would be ironic if you had named her Yukino (since she hates the snow so much.) Big Grin

Word Count: 518

Anne Smiled at Yumiko's words "If tha's what you want, then we'll do it!" She was crouched like the older blonde, and she nearly fell over backwards with the wagging of her tail. Leah nodded in agreement, looking up fondly at the younger female out of the corner of her eye. Leah was sitting cross legged on the ground, and she was a head shorter than Anne even when they were standing. She pulled her attention back to the stranger when she was adressed.

Both girls stiffined at the question Yumiko posed. Anne's face was an open book - grief, regret... but she relaxed considerably when she saw that Leah had as well. Her eyes were on the other girl's back (Leah had turned to fully face Yumiko during those brief eternal seconds) with affection and more regret than pain. She supposed she should have expected the question - and all the memories it would summon. It had probably been unhealthy for them to do it, but they had put off grieving until "a better time". 

I wonder how the boys are doing? And Mom and Dad... She'd managed not to think too much about it during the journey, but... her only blood siblings were hundreds of miles away, and Leah's the same distance. That was why Yumiko's question brought it to mind.  

Leah's face was a gentle mask with a faint smile. However her eyes were a maelstrom of unrecognisable emotions It was really hard to say, the feelings were so tangled up in one another. After a moment the other emotions faded away and were replaced with an expression that was deeply affectionate. It was an adoration that bordered on devotion.  It was doubtful it was another mask - if anything it was the truest expression she had worn all evening. 

Anne was still lost in her own thoughts, and was unable to see her companion's face - perhaps it would have put her at ease. She put more than a little blame on herself for their banishment, after all, Leah had willingly followed her into exile.   

Leah made no mention of her previous disquiet, but thought quietly about the answer to Yumiko's question. 

"In everything but blood, we are sisters." she answered softly, reluctantly. She turned her face away from both women, uncomfortable with the emotional bent of the conversation. 

Anne seemed to recover a little at Leah's words. "Aww... Leah loves me!" She leaned towards Yumiko and whispered conspiratorialy "She don't like to admi' she has feelins like the rest of us 'mere mortals'." When Leah was uncomfortable, she went quiet - Anne made bad jokes.

The older girl flicked a pebble at her friend. " Respect your elders, pup." The mask was back.

The blonde snorted. You're only older by a month and a 'alf, oh almighty munchkin."

Leah didn't even dignify that one with an answer, and Anne suddenly remembered the preasence of the older female.  

"... So is there anything else you'll need us to do?" It was one of the more unskillful subject changes of the history of the world.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

OOPS I thought I'd replied here already o.O

Word Count: 635

Yumiko chuckled at Anne's excitement as she practically struggled to remain upright. She also caught Leah's discreet, affectionate glance towards her friend, and saw in her eyes the love she had for her. It was like a bond only sisters shared, and Yumiko's smile faded softly as memories of her own sister came to mind. She missed her sister dearly, and hoped these two friends, siblings, whatever they were, could remain together and peacful for a long time to come.

Unfortunately, it would appear they had already met their fair share of hardship as they instantly closed up after her relatively innocent question. Yumiko cocked her head slightly at Anne's expression, as it flipped through all sorts of horrific emotions that all followed that of horror. Yumiko opened her mouth to apologize, for even though she had meant nothing of it she was the sort of wolf to apologize simply for bringing up bad memories. Before she could utter a word, Leah relaxed and Anne followed her lead, and despite her anxiety at upsetting the two Yumiko slumped as well.

The fire crackled in the uncomfortable silence and cast moving lights upon the rock behind the younger girls. Yumiko shivered as a cold breeze licked at her skin despite her fur, and she shifted a little closer to the fire to compensate. She moved her weight to the other foot in her crouched position, any possible sound covered by a twig exploding within the fire as it glowed. At last, after being to embaressed to do more than stare into the flames, Yumiko looked at Leah as she said they were as good as siblings. She nodded cautiously. "I can see that. You two are good for each other." It was as good as she could come up with for a discreet apology.

Suddenly the mood seemed to lift, albeit with a mighty shove from Anne, as she leaned towards Yumiko and whispered as if in on some big secret. Happy to be away from the drama, Yumiko helped her along, and whispered back dramatically, "Yes, we should offer her a sacrifice to apease this immortal being."

As if on cue to dispose of the idea, the 'immortal one' chucked a pebble that Yumiko had to lean back to avoid right at Anne. She fell onto her butt from her perch upon her haunches, and she laughed as her legs stretched out to one side of the fire. Anne gave a witty response, unworthy of the Great Immortal One's reply, before they both seemed to remember Yumiko was there. She didn't mind. It was nice to be in such pleasant company, and now the atmopshere was clear and joyous, and it was like nothing had ever occurred to make it in any way unpleasant.

But something had happened, and something was clearly tormenting the both of them (Leah more than Anne). Yumiko made her inner self vow to help them come to terms with whatever had happened, just like she had eventually come to grips with the murder of her parents. Sure, it was still hard for her, but she made it through and put on a brave face. She had grieved in her own way, in the privacy of the forest and her den. With just three small piles of rocks, deep in the forest, to mark their existance in the world, she had found peace within herself. Hopefully in time, so would these girls so young.

"Anything else? Uh... no, not really. Maybe some renovation projects I was hoping to finish." Yumiko shrugged, her hands supporting her on the ground. Another breeze passed through, threatening to extinguish the flames. "No point in being here any longer. Shall I show you the way?" she offered, adding her own unskillful subject change to the batch.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Can you say 'filler'? >< 

word count; 336

Anne rubbed her hands together, partly in anticipation, partly to warm them a little. "Renovation? I'm pretty good at that... I'm good fer whate'er you need 'elp with. She flicked her tail dismissively "Leah's better at house-wifey things." That wasn't the only thing Leah was good at, but there had been more than enough bad memories brought up for one evening. Or so Anne thought.

"And I thought you liked my cooking. I suppose we'll just have to let Annie cook." The grin Leah shot the younger girl was positively evil.

The younger girl half playfully took on a submissive stance. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, no need to be so hasty Leah...!"

Leah shot Yumiko a wry smile, her blue eyes bright with mischief. "I guess she's right - she'd probably kill us all."

"Hey, I can cook!" Anne protested loudly.

"Only if we want to live off of rabbit mush for weeks on end." Leah chuckled with a derisive snort.

Anne opened her mouth, then closed it. "Fine." Her ears drooped as she crossed her arms and pouted.

Leah stood when Yumiko did, and took the opportunity to smooth the crouching girl's ears. "You're really too old to be making faces like that." She murmured with a smile. Her hand lingered slightly longer than necessary, but neither seemed to notice.

"Getting sentamental in your old age, Leah?"

"I'm immortal, remember?"

Anne was actually enjoying it, childlike as it was. She was a little lonely now - she missed her family than she would admit to Leah, and the familar touch was comforting. Anne closed her eyes happily, a complete contradiction with the obligatory grumbling that went with such shows of affection. Suddenly uncomfortable, the older girl gently ruffled the younger's fur and turned to their host with a lok that said, Ready to go then?" The angle of her ears and tail read: embarrased.

Anne stood up, and nodded genially to Yumiko. "We're right behind you, oh valiant leader!" She was still in a playful mood.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

FILLER! 8D

Word Count: 363

Yumiko smiled and nodded as Anne basically said she'd do whatever Yumiko wanted her to do, to pay her back. It was very odd for her to think about, so she focused instead on the girls bickering. It was strangely entertaining to watch, and as Leah shot a glance her way Yumiko returned her grin with a mock horrific gasp, ignoring Anne's protests. "Killed by food?! What a horrific idea! I like food too much to think it could hurt me!" she said, her expression playfully horrified by the very idea.

Anne pouted and Yumiko grinned at her metaphorically ruffled feathers. The fire had slowly died while they talked, and now barely had flames within the logs. She got to her feet carefully and stretched her legs, noticing the sun was hovering low near the horizon. It was nearly dinner, and she -- well, the three of us, she supposed, should be getting home.

Her eyes turned back to see Leah lingering on an affectionate head rub, and Yumiko's tail swished once at the tender scene. The two continued to bicker, but the sweeter feeling still lingered in the freezing air. Leah turned with embaressment and Yumiko quickly averted her eyes, suddenly uncomfortable with the idea of being caught watching the sisterly love they shared.

She felt eyes on her back that were clearly beaming a time to go now signal, so she turned her head back briefly and saw Anne stand and nod. "Valient leader is right, little one!" she said playfully. Since she wasn't much older then them herself, it wasn't condescending like a 7 year old calling them pups. It was more like a brother calling you 'Kiddo' affectionately. She paused, thinking, and toed a snow-clump at her toes. "If you wouldn't mind, I'd prefer to go four-legged. It's faster and easier to navigate the forests then in this form." It was always an awkward subject for her, because it was like a human saying they preferred to go nude in the summer because it was cooler (although far less contreversial...). It was just one of those things she, and many other wolves and luperci, just never got used to discussing.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Oh, I would like to mention that when Anne says "Un", it's pronounced sorta like "spoon" without the SP. I have no clue where this word came from (I jsut kinda made it up) , so just assume it's some kind of newfangled dialect or somthing. 

Leah gave Yumiko a "solemn" look in response to her horror.. "Then you should be afraid, very, very
afraid."
Leah wasn't entirely joking - she had never allowed Anne anywhere near her kitchen unless it was to eat.

Anne nodded at Yumiko's travling preferance, and though she sensed her discomfort, she didn't understand its source. "Un, yeah, we prefer to travel that way too."

She started pulling off the ragged cargo shorts she wore and tied them in a bundle on her back. Leah did the same with her canvas vest and cargo pants, and carefully wrapped the leather pouch she always carried with her in the center. They didn't seem at all embarrased - every movement was saturated with cool professionalism and carried out with a practiced hand. 
Anne started to shift first (she had less to tie up). 

She closed her eyes for a few moments, humming a soft tune under her breath that sounded suspiciously like a sort of miltary march. Her limbs shortened, muscles and joints clicked and twisted into their proper places. After thirty minutes or so, a dainty female with long wavy fur opened choclate brown eyes. Her face was more obviously non-wolf in this form.

Leah took only a little less time than the younger girl, but it was the sheer liquidity of her transformation that set her apart. She shifted fluidly from one form to another, without a sound to indicate the change. The elder girl was about the same proportionally in her Lupus form, but she carried herself with a whole new attitude. It was much like the businesslike attentiveness that a seeing eye dog took on in his harness.

Leah glanced at her companion. "That's a bad habit Anne." She shifted in place, but the snow didn't crunch under her feet. 

The blonde flicked her tail. "I'm working on it," She said nonchalantly.

The elder glared. "I'm not joking."

"Dont be such a spoilsport!" Anne nipped playfully at her friend's ear (drawing out a startled yelp) and rushed ahead a few steps. She circled back around and wriggled excitedly in front of the two older females. "Com'on, com'on, com'on! Let's go!" 

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Spoooooon o.O it sounds like 'un' as in 'pun' I hear in Japanese Anime alot -is nerd- meaning no Smile It should be 'ork' as in 'spork'. Sporks are better >w<

Word Count: 433

Yumiko was relieved that the pair shared her preference, more intensely so than necessary. She had an isolated childhood, and had always though that just her family were blessed with the ability to walk on two legs. She had been frightened of what other, 'normal' wolves would think of her ability. Once she'd arrived in AniWayan lands however, the very first wolf she came upon had been patrolling in Optime form. It had surprised her greatly, but given her great hope. It was still a rather taboo subject for her though, ingrained in her since birth.

She had no clothing to remove despite the cold, and quickly turned away to concentrate on the shift rather than the distracting pair with their flurry of activity. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, reaching for that special spot that, for her, triggered the change. She found it easily and began to smoothly morph instantly. She was like Leah, with graceful movements in her change. The one thing that was different was she was a very upright walker on two legs, so she had to crouch in order for her legs to compensate. She was finished at the exact same time as Anne, making her the middle of the two in speed. To be honest, she looked exactly the same, although her small stature was more apparant now that they all stood with the same posture. Even the young pair were close in height to her, if not larger since they were practically full grown.

Taking another deep breath to clear her mind, Yumiko opened bright-blue eyes and gazed at her companions in time to hear a startled yelp and a suspicious Anne urging her and Leah on. Yumiko grinned and her tail wagged in response to Anne's enthusiasm, her eyes sparkling merrily. She dashed ahead to stand beside Anne, anxious to use her speed to show off a little. Apart from healing, it was the only thing she was all that good at. Small size, longish legs, and short fur all made the blonde wolf ideal for speed. Time to prove what she could do.

Jumping on her toes and looking at Anne while Leah stayed behind for a moment, she chuckled. "I'd race ya, but you don't know the way. Real shame eh?" She turned away as if disappointed, her snout in the air obnoxiously. She was acting ridiculously immature but she didn't care in the least. Yumiko kind of wanted a challange, despite the frosty air and nearing darkness. It wasn't like she'd abandon either of them if they got lost, either.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

El crappito post...

Leah sat and wagged her tail. "You two look a lot alike" Yumiko appeared to be slightly taller than Anne, but with their slender frames, and light fur they could pass more easily for sisters than she and Anne could.

Leah looked Yumiko over, before glancing at Anne, and on cue the younger of the two burst out. "No way! Let's race anyway!" The blonde paused.

"You'll be followin us, right Leah?"

The elder girl snorted softly. "You insult my tracking skills, pup."

Anne rolled her eyes. "Wha' trackin skills? You coul'n't find your nose iffit weren't stuck to your face!"

The red pelted wolf flicked an ear, and set in her second best "dignified" voice. "A minor setback."

"You're sucha useless immortal!" Anne giggled.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Dunna be silly, child! *crappy Jamacian accent.... fail... Tongue* Also you may wish to start keeping track of your word counts, because if you didn't notice there can be prizes XD

Word Count: 466

It seemed to Yumiko that her new denmates would never stop bickering; although she enjoyed watching the two, she couldn't help but worry how it would affect her sleeping habits. Anne agreed without even pausing to think, and, snout still snootily in the air, Yumiko glanced down at her from her lofty position. "As if you could win, shorty!" Sure, she was barely any taller, but being so stupidly tiny for her age, she naturally couldn't help but take any opportunity to mock another's height when it presented itself. Understandable, no?

Lowering her snout and dipping into a slight play-bow, Yumiko flicked a look at Leah. "I'm glad the almighty immortal can follow us. Let's go!" Without a second glance back, Yumiko shoved forward, nipped Anne on the ear, and was gone. She knew that Anne, at least, would undoubtedly be hot on her heels. She seemed very competetive and despite any sad secrets the two seemed to share, they still put on a mask for society of what they used to be. She knew the feeling herself and hoped, with time, they would be able to truely trust her with what had scarred the pair so deeply.

Yumiko had pushed off from her bow with her front paws, an unusual way of starting that she found gave her an advantage. Her short legs had to leap and shift with incredible speed to give her the rush she longed for, but she had the energy to do it. Tall wolves just cheated (in her opinion) and loped along, never pushing themselves. After a good run she was always ready for a quick meal and a long, relaxing nap. The thrill of it was pushing herself to the limit, experiencing what her body could really do.

Yumiko dashed into the forest, the trees a blur that her eyes barely had time to decipher as they whisked by, every footfall placed with uncanny percision. Here she was truely free. The path she knew well despite it being completely unmarked. To the left of the lightening-scarred pine, past the willow, follow the stream, over the rocks. She barely even touched the slime of the river-rocks that made a narrow bridge, but she didn't care. She was halfway there. Her tongue lolled from her mouth and the wind made her ears flap against her skull. It was all irrelevent to the freedom of sprinting.

She slowed for just an instant, barely even a pair of pawsteps, to sniff and listen if Anne was nearby and Leah far behind (assuming Leah just followed at her own pace rather than race the competitive pair). She sensed the fellow blonde female nearby, but was unsure of her position without visual conformation; ahead, behind, beside... above. It was all the same at those speeds.

Hope this is okay, not too confusing or God-moddy or anything <3

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

It's hard to keep count when you're posting with an iPod...

Anne rumbled softly - though not agressively, at Yumiko's rather obnoxious challenge. "I coul' beatya with my eyes closed." the comment about her height did not deserve a reply, after all, Leah was shorter than both of them.

She gave an indignified yelp at the sharp pain in her ear, and stood shock still for a moment as Yumiko took the lead. The blonde's eyes narrowed on the reatreating back of her adversary, and she released a wild whoop as she surged forward with all the power of a steam engine.

She was already tired, she'd been traveling for the last day, but she'd been training long enough - !  She was aware of every straining muscle, of every breath. Trees blurred past her vision in slow motion, tree, river, rocks, algea, standing out and blurring together simultainously. This hyperawareness was her special brand of "meditation". 

As Yumiko paused, Anne drew even with her hindquarters. "Tired already Granny?" There was no bite to her words, only an intense joy - there could be no cruelty during a race, the rules if survival did not apply here.

Leah was a short distance behind them. The older girl was a endurance runner rather than a sprinter. Given half a chance, Leah could probably run both blondes into the ground and have energy left to mock them at the end, but by comparison, she wasn't very fast, not very fast at all.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

iPod, ooooh :| We should really figure out who's going to win XD

Word Count: 338

Granny? Darn pup had snuck up on her when she was concentrating. Yumiko just huffed in Anne's direction, miffed, and picked up her speed. Although she still had breath to talk with she didn't want to waste her air so soon. The race wasn't even half done, after all. She figured that no matter how young and full of life her oponent was she would still be tired, after having only just been accepted into AniWaya and therefore having travelled for quite a while to get there. Plus this was Yumiko's territory; as if some newcomer would know the way better than her.

As if to prove her point, she swerved gracefully around a tree in her path and leaped a rock before it even came into sight. She used to trip over that darn thing all the time, and wondered if Anne (or Leah for that matter) would notice it in time. She grinned evilly. Oh dearie me, did you sprain your ankle? Forfeit the race? Darn shame, that! or something along those lines. In theory. Nonetheless the femme continued on her way, trees whirling by her in that way that only occurs at high speeds. They would all blend together, yet be as obvious as a fly on her nose for a split second as her eye registered its existence. Very odd indeed.

Yumiko had lost track of where Anne was again as she chose to concentrate on her paws and landing in the ideal places for pushing off. She hadn't staggered yet since she ran this path almost every day, and yet she still managed to get wacked in the snout by a branch as she lifted her head higher to look ahead. She blinked, disoriented, and nearly rammed into a tree, all without slowing down if moving a bit drunkenly. She avoided the tree at the last minute and hurriedly picked up her pace to faster then before, now thoroughly convinced Anne could have passed her if that rock hadn't tripped her up earlier.

This is SO CONFUSING ;_;

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Aneira

Anne laughed when the older woman looked annoyed, and darted forward again to pursue her. She was flagging badly - even though she had better endurance than most sprinters, she had been traveling for a while. She was close enough behind Yumiko to see her jump over the rock, but her tired muscles portested loudly when she attempted to jump it... and she stumbled. With a yelp she pitched forward, rolled down a small hillock, and into a half melted snowbank.

She managed to pulled herself out in time to see Yumiko smacked across the nose by a tree branch and nearly careen into a tree. She snickered under her breath as she pulled herself out of the snow and set off again at a breakneck pace. She dodged root and branch and stone until she was two lengths behind the older blonde. That was as close as she could get.

She heard Yumiko's victory shout as she crossed some boundary Anne could not see. She came screeching to a stop, and collapsed panting on the ground. Her eyes were drawn to a pair of blue lights peering out of a bush just behing the older female. "Leah?" She asked dumbfoundedly.

The girl sat in the center of the clearing, tail curled neatly around her paws. She yawned. "So how was the race?"

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

To anyone else reading this, this was all planned OOCly Smile Don't question Leah. Just don't.

Word Count: 439

Yumiko was losing speed and about to tire when the riverside cave that served as her den came into view. A joyous shout escaped from her maw as she saw she was the first to arrive. She slowed to an unsteady skid and hung her head between her legs, panting heavily. Sure, she could run with incredible speed, but her endurance needed work. When she was running Yumiko blocked all thought of how tired she was, but whenever she stopped she was ready to pass out. Thankfully the race was short, although competetive, and she could still stand and catch her breath.

A few heartbeats after she reached the 'finish line' Anne skidded beside her and collapsed with exhaustion. Yumiko hoped she was okay and could catch her own breath, and not hyperventilate or anything. The femme lifted her head tiredly, barely able to focus her eyes, and noticed blankly a certain other female waiting for the racers' arrival. ".... Um.... wh... what?" she said between pants, dumbfounded. How the hell had Leah, who was always behind the two racing (or so they had thought, apparently), gotten so darn far ahead of them?

Leah yawned nonchantly and Yumiko bared her teeth in annoyance, barely able to lift her gums off her fangs. "Great.... it was... great." Stupid Leah. Could she teleport, or something? Seriously!

The race was getting to her more than she had first thought, and Yumiko lifted her lead paws with her snout close to the ground as she headed into her den. Let the others follow as they wish, she wanted a nice snack from her stock and she was too lazy to properly invite them in. Yumiko's blue eyes swept over the tall cave with it's small entrance, the feathers and her slowly growing pile of furs that served as a bed. But that was of no interet to her at the moment. What caught her attention was the shelves carved into the far wall, just above the hearth, that held a several rabbits' worth of dried meat strips. Unfortunately, they were too high up for her in this form; something she'd never even considered.

Yumiko attempted once to raise onto her hind paws and grab a strip with her teeth, but her muscles wouldn't obey her commands after the use they'd just gone through and she slipped on the hard rock. She ended up staring up at the cave ceiling, mildly dazed. Hm. This required more thought. Too tired to hunt, too tired to shift, too tired to jump. Fooood.... the thought of Leah helping her in this predicament never even crossed her mind.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry for being late....

Leah laughed at Yumiko's frustration. "I wasn't really racing anyway."

Leah nudged her tired companion (who was too wiped out to really understnd anything that was said) and followed the older blonde inot her den.

It was larger than Leah had expected from the size of the entance, and simpler than what she was used to. Not that she would trade a hole in the ground for what she was used to - and in the case it was literal. Anne noticed the hearth through her daze and made a beeline for it, curling up in fluffy golden ball between the woodpile and fireplace. Leah laughed softly. Only Anne would completely miss the pile of furs.

Their host was trying to get at her food stores, but she was having some difficulty. Leah strode forward, shifting as she moved. She stumbled once or twice, but for the most part the transition was smooth. It had better be, with all the hours she had practice, and would likely practice tomorrow.

She wordlessly handed Yumiko a few strips of meat, and then settled down next to Anne, once again in her Lupine form. She yawned widely, and watched Yumiko with the sleepy eyes of a child unwilling to fall asleep.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Like I PMed, sorry about the wait but things came up in RL >>;

Word Count: 312

Humph, wasn't really racing. The thought kept repeating through her mind despite everything else around her. So not fair. Cheater.

As Yumiko gazed at the ceiling, confused as to how exactly she ended up with such a view, she heard pawsteps indicating her new roomies were in the den too. She heard a flopping sound, probably Anne, as she landed on the floor somewhere to sleep. A soft laugh escaped her lips. She'd need more furs. A few strips of meat plopped into her vision and she wordlessly scrambled at the air as she flipped onto her stomach. Gobbling down the meat with no abandon, forgetting about anyone who may be watching her, her stomach was soon content as her energy refueled. Usually that would be enough for her to be full of energy again, but it was late and the mere thought of the race just made Yumiko even more tired.

She tuned into the world around her to see Anne curled up after somehow missing the area that screamed 'Look at me! I'm a bed!', and Leah watching her eat. The blonde grinned sheepishly and scratched her ear with a hind paw absently.

She assumed it was safe to say that Anne would be out for a while as she took her own method of refuelling, and cocked her head at Leah in question. "Thanks," she whispered so as not to wake the furry lump in the back. A yawn escaped her as her maw opened wide, revealling pearly teeth. Yumiko put her jaw upon her front paws and looked up at the younger blonde, exhausted despite her refuelling. The sun must have set by now... she thought sluggishly. Not bothering to go over to the pile of furs herself, her eyelids drifted closed as sleep overtook her. Maybe the morning would be interesting... they certainly needed some more food.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]