like a toast at a table.
[html]

Maybe if a few members could jump in? :o Rurik will maek FEESH for your characters? XD ((561))

Rurik had only been a member of the pack for two days now, and already he was itching to meet new packmembers. He knew Vigilante and liked him already, and he was already quite friendly with Strel, but he didn't know anyone else yet, and he was eager to meet the various faces amongst his packmates. He was certain to find their company enjoyable. The silver-furred werewolf had spent the better part of the last few days moving his things from the family hideout in Halifax; he was mostly done, and everything that was still there could wait. Today would be a day for leisure, Rurik thought.

The silver-furred werewolf made his way toward the Shattered Coast, his fishing pole thrown over his shoulder. He had a bottle of vodka and a thick joint rolled in his silver cigarette case, all good items for a day spent lounging. He also carried some unusual implements—he'd decided to bring with him some cooking implements and a few spices he used to cook occasionally. He wasn't anywhere near as skilled as Thorn had been, but at least his cooking was palatable. Anatoliy hadn't seemed too interested in coming, but Liliya had decided to accompany her father. She was almost a year and a half old now; the silver-furred werewolf expected she wanted to branch out and meet some canines her own age. She was very likely tired of hanging around her old dad and her brother all the time.

Rurik considered Lily old enough to drink and smoke now; he hadn't introduced her to it, but she had come home a little tipsy one night, and they'd had something of a talk together. It wasn't nearly as awkward as a sex talk—Rurik was still dreading that one. At least they'd managed to be comfortable around one another; Rurik no longer felt bad about having a few sips of his flask around Liliy, though he still hadn't been drunk around her, nor the other way around. The silver-furred Russian and his daughter were not particularly garrulous as they made their way along the coast, picking their way down the cliffs to the beach. The tide was low and they were able to wade out to one of the closest little island without getting particularly wet; the water only came a little above Rurik's knees. Once they were settled down, the Russian wolf got to fishing, and Liliy started a little fire, chattering a little about the pack. She was more nervous than the elder Russo about meeting her packmembers.

After a few moments, the ashen-furred werewolf caught a tiny fish, which he promptly cut up for bait. A few moments after that, he brought in a larger fish, one they were able to keep. He instructed Liliy as to how to prepare it with a splash of vodka and a thin sprinkle of spice and she set it on the fire, the tantalizing smell of cooking fish soon filling the air. Rurik didn't like to eat fish, sure, but he had said to Vigilante that he intended to help to provide for the pack, and he intended to make good on that promise. A nice feast of freshly-caught fish would certianly make for a good introduction, Rurik thought, lounging back against a tree, the end of his crudely-made pole dangling above the water.

<style>
.rurik-tropic-lil { color:#B7BDDB; font-weight:bold; }
.rurik-tropic b {color:#8CB1D5;}
.rurik-tropic-ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}
.rurik-tropic p {text-indent:45px; margin:0px; padding:5px 25px; }
.rurik-tropic { width:400px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#172324; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_tropic.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:230px 0px 25px; 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#CBDBEB; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:1px; line-height:13px; text-align:justify; }</style>[/html]
((occ: I hope it is okay that Zasha join in the meal. She would love to meet another Russian! w=564))

It had been a long journey, but Zasha was very happy to finally have made it, her welcome into the pack was all she could have asked for. Vigilante was a wonderful kind male. She made a point in her mind to meet with him again. He would know many things about this land and she was eager to learn more of the history. Of course there were others also who would know as much, she would have to keep an eye out for those others as well.

Zasha couldn’t help but feel content here. It seemed here there was everything to offer. There was enough forest for running and hunting. The beaches were beautiful and bountiful. It would be lovely to take a nap on one in the sun. The sound of waves and the warming sun had her already sleepy. She had also seen some cliffs to which she could rest on. The surf hitting the rocks would be a good place to sort out problems in your head. It was always fascinated Zasha as to how certain places could calm the mind and others only made it worse. It was just the aura and vibe from those places. Of course it was like that all over the world. She has found many peaceful spots while traveling and other spots that would drive one mad.

While visiting some packs in the United States, she learned that some believe it was spirits that would cause such reactions. It would depend on what happened there and who the spirit maybe. If one was killed while in love, sadness would fill the surrounding area. Zasha didn’t have a certain belief. Her mind was open to all possibilities and knowing there was many more to hear, she couldn’t wait to learn them.

Feeling sleepy, she laid own on the beach. She couldn’t help it; it seemed like a perfect spot for a nap. The waves lapped the beach and it helped set a rhythm of breathing for her. It wasn’t too long after that she started drifting to sleep. A small breezed tickled her nose, stirring her in her slumber and causing her to take a deep breath. Upon that deep breath a delicious smell seeped into her, causing her stomach to grumble. It woke her up immediately. There was no way she could possible sleep with an empty growling stomach. She raised and put her nose in the air and sniffed. Finding the direction of the wondrous smell, she started walking in the direction.
It turned out the source wasn’t that far away from where she laid. Someone was cooking fish and the aroma was all the appetizing more now that she was close enough to see. She looked around trying to find whoever was responsible for the meal. She found him lying against a tree, a pole was dangling near. Her stomach let of another low grumble. She started walking toward and unexpectedly saw a younger female nearby.

Considering that she was new here she decided to introduce herself. She continues forward and when she close enough she spoke. “You have a talent for cooking. That is the most wonderful smelling fish.” A smile lit her face. Russian and English mixed beautifully in her speech. She thought it sounded better that plain Russian. “I am Zasha. I couldn’t help but follow my nose here.”
[html]

OOC: Hope you don’t mind me hopping in here, Big Grin

WC: 476

It was spring, his most favorite time of year, where new life began anew, and where the birds would be active, he was out watching the birds that were near the cliffs, he could see that it was a pair of eagles that lived on the edge of these cliffs, and not just any eagles, but there were golden eagles, it was going to be a good opportunity to see what they have in their nest soon, he was sure to find a few eggs and with one of them he could have an eagle to train the way he wanted to. The scale up that cliff would be his only problem. He was sure he could make a pulley system and go down the wall from the top, but he needed to know what was there, he’d only been to the top of the part with the forest. He’d cut some trees so he could make a cage for the birds he’d eventually train to help them find and catch prey. Not to mention it would be a great sport to introduce to the other wolves, he’d read about falcons and eagles being used as a sport, he had no intentions of making the eagles falcons or hawks he’d have in the future slaves to a circus or anything, he’d give them adequate homes and such. He’d noticed the other wolf laying on the beach but she didn’t see him and she seemed content in resting her eyes so he wasn’t going to bother waking her, he was only sizing up the cliff and seeing how much time he’d have before the eggs turned into chicks. He saw as the wolf got up too, but her attention was acutely on something else that she didn’t even see him, he tilted his head to follow her movement wondering what caught her attention, then the beautiful smell of fish and spices, it made his mouth water, he then moved behind the female, he’d never had fish before but it smelled utterly delicious, he stopped behind the female wolf and listened to her introduction.

Me either, I’ve never smelled anything like it

He said scratching at his Mohawk awkwardly, he really did hope he wasn’t intruding, they all seemed to be members, and he was still meeting them as well, he’d been in the pack for a month now, so he wasn’t surprised he hadn’t met these few wolves himself yet.

My name is Niro by the way, I’m sorry if I’m intruding on your party, I just smelled your meal and was curious as to what it was.

Even though he and his sister lived near a coast he’d never learned how to fish. He didn’t bother because he was never taught and really never saw a reason to go near the water other than to drown.

<style type="text/css"> .niro-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#4B73D8; letter-spacing:1px; } .niro-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;} .niro-a01{width:425px; background-color:#BCC7E7; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/nirotable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#3A4A6C; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style> [/html]
[html]

More people could totally jump in, too! And I apologize, this post is bad. D; I am tiredddd. <3

Rurik had done a little exploring of the lands, and he had truly enjoyed them—the beaches truly were beautiful here. He thought that perhaps this pack had claimed the loveliest beaches in the land. Certainly, the territory itself was beautiful—but what of the members? As Liliya prodded at the fish with a Luperci-made wooden spatula, they chattered back and forth a little about their packmembers; neither Rurik nor Liliy had met any of them. Well, Rurik knew Strelein from before he was a member here—but that was all. And of course they both knew Vigilante, as he had been the one to accept them. The silver-furred werewolf figured everyone here was probably just as nice—two of however many (Rurik didn't even know how many packmates he had) was certainly a good start.

A tug on the end of the pole distracted Rurik for a moment, leaving Liliya to greet Zasha. The hybrid woman's face tilted upwards to greet the newcomer, a slow smile spreading across her face. She lacked her father's social abilities, but she had his sunny smile, to be certain. “Thank you, Zasha. Mine Otets teach me how to cook. This ees almost done—do you want?” Liliya asked, her accent heavy and thick, her English still quite slow. She had made remarkable progress since arriving here, but she still had quite a way to go, of course. Liliy prodded at the fish again with the carved spatula, testing its firmness. It didn't much matter to Luperci about food safety and proper cooking temperature; it was a matter of taste. Sliding the spatula beneath the fish, she lifted it up and reached back into their bag, pulling out one of the wooden plates they'd brought along. There were numerous goodies in the bag, most of them useful for fishing, some of them good for eating. As Liliy handed the plate off toward the newcomer, Rurik's line gave a distinctive tug.

“Got another feesh coming,” Rurik said, twisting his head back around. Another wolf was approaching—what luck! As the man approached, he commented on the smell, which brought a grin to Rurik's face, though he was presently occupied with reeling the fish in. When he'd landed it, he stood up and headed back over to Liliy and the other woman, intending to properly introduce himself and everything. “No interruption! It is good t'meet you, Niro, and you, Zasha,” the man said, turning toward the first woman, smiling warmly. “I am Rurik Russo, and this is mine daughter, Liliya,” he said to both of his new packmates. Both of the Russos were smiling, though Liliy's eyes were downcast, and Rurik had a writhing fish on the end of his line. “Hungry, Niro?” the elder male said, lifting up the fish. “I will cook eet for you,” Liliy offered, her tail wagging.

<style>
.rurik-giftsam b{color:#227c9b;}
.rurik-giftsam-liliya {color:#38B0D9; font-weight:bold;}
.rurik-giftsam p{margin:0px; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; text-indent:45px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

((wc 425))

Zasha was surprised to hear a male voice speak behind her. She did not hear him approach and wondered how long he had been there. She turned her head to look at him, and could tell he was eager for the fish as she was. Apparently she wasn’t the only one who caught the scent. She nodded her head as in a hello and turned back to the male and young female. She was surprised to hear the heavily accent of Russian in Liliya’s voice. It showed as her eyes widen while listening to her speak. Of course questions fluttered in her mind; what part of Russia were they from and how long have they been here? It had been a long time since she heard a Russian dialect. It came as a shock that it felt good to hear it again. It added another reason for her to like the idea of staying in this pack.

Again the heavenly scent made it to her nose. How lucky was she to get to experience this little gathering the first day she joined the pack. Russo had another fish dangling on his line. This was going to be a good feast. She couldn’t wait to get to know some of the pack. The day couldn’t be better for this. Pleasant surroundings and enjoyable company always made for a good day. She bet it would be beautiful here at sunset. She wished she had some artistic ability in her. Throughout her travels Zasha wished she had something to captures moments on. She found herself forgetting details about some of her visits. It was a shame. Her brain just couldn’t hold everything she wanted it to.

At one point in time she had an audio recorder. She used to capture some stories she heard and fun time and festivals she had experienced in different packs. Unfortunately it broke one day when traveling. It fell out of a bag she would carry and into a river. It had depressed her for days. Ever since then she refused to carry items with her. Packs had tried to give her things, upon denial they wanted to tattoo her, again she refused. Now thought she wished she had taken the tattoos. It would make for them most interesting appearance to have so many different brands on her.“Well it is good to meet ya’ll. I just joined the pack today. I guess there isn’t a better way to start a first day.” She said smiling and sitting. “Thanks for letting me join your meal.”

<style type="text/css">
.Zasha01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#3c4b2b; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Zasha01ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#717c65; text-align:center;}
.Zasha01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Zasha01 {margin:0 auto; width:366px; background-color:#d4ebbf; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... /zasha.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #3c4b2b; padding: 230px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#717c65; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 217

Niro was just as surprised as Zasha was by the accent except he’d never heard one like it at all before, He may have known a Brooklyn accent but that’s as far as it got and he’d only heard one wolf with an accent so it was much more surprising to Niro and he had a slightly hard time understanding the Russian accent. He deciphered the accent as quickly as he could and saw the fish dangling from the fishing pole and Rurik offering to cook it for him; that made Niro’s stomach groan louder. He smiled sheepishly at the noise.

My stomach seems to think it best, I’d love to learn how to cook one… even catch one, I’ve never thought about eating fish before.

He said his mouth watering at the already cooked fish, he was very interested in learning how to cook, he didn’t get much instruction from anyone but the books that his sister read to him or had him read because she was tired of burned food, even though she did cook herself when it was her turn but they learned to take turns to cook even though Niro did the hunting but he enjoyed doing something with his hands while his sister preferred to read about it.

<style type="text/css"> .niro-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#4B73D8; letter-spacing:1px; } .niro-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;} .niro-a01{width:425px; background-color:#BCC7E7; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/nirotable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#3A4A6C; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style> [/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurikmaritgift.png); background-position:bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#005ac7; border:1px solid #444477;">

((433))

Rurik had picked up on Zasha's accent, his sable-furred ears flicking toward the woman's speech, polite curiosity written all over his features. “Ah, I am quite new to this pack myself, but it is not a problem! The more the merrier, I always said,” the silver-furred male said. “But that is quite the accent. Where in the motherland would one come by it?” he asked, a twinkle in his eye. Perhaps this woman did not even speak Russian anymore, but he certainly heard the distinctive twinge of it in her speech. This was quite interesting to him, naturally, as it was somewhat rare to find one also of Russian origin as far as these parts. He supposed it might be more common to find them on the west coast of this continent, but as he had never been, he could not definitively say.

As Rurik busied himself undoing the hook from the fish's mouth, Liliya seemed to catch on to the fact that Zasha was a Russian, too, and her interest was piqued. “We are from Sobirat'sya, maybe you know as Arkhangel'sk?” she asked, taking the fish from her father and setting it across the small plank that served as their cutting board. Slowly she sliced the head and tail off, taking care to line the blade up. She was not as quick as her father, who kept a watchful eye over her even as he spoke with the other canines, looping on another chunk of fish onto his hook for bait. He wasn't sure how hungry the others would be—or if more canines might be coming—so it was best to keep fishing. “Aye, Sobirat'sya. That is where I learn to fish—family trade and all,” he said, smiling as waved Niro over. “Liliy cook for you, and I teach you how to catch, if you want,” the Russian wolf said, smiling.

The tawny-furred Liliy worked on the new fish more, slicing the fillets from the side and sliding them into the pan, sticking it back over the fire. Holding there so the fish would cook, Liliya turned to Zasha, her bright blue eyes glittering even now. “I have not lived in pack before. Have you? Is nice?” the woman said, clearly slightly anxious over this whole pack ordeal—maybe Zasha would offer some comfort to Liliy, maybe not. Either way, the tawny-furred Russo was eager to make conversation with another woman—surrounded by her father and brothers, the mahogany-furred girl had been deprived of female interaction since leaving her mother, and she longed for a female friend to talk with.

<style>
.rurikgiftmarit b {color:#85d2dd;}
.giftmaritliliya {font-weight:bold; color:#218E9D;}
.rurikgiftmarit p {text-indent:25px; margin:0px; padding:0px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

((wc 472))

Zasha let out a small quiet laugh when she heard Niro’s stomach growl. Hers too was making noises, but on a smaller scale. She didn’t think anyone could actually hear the rumbles coming for her. As he walked to Russo, she made her way to Liliy. She was cutting the fish like a pro. Her father must have taught her. Zasha never really did fish. Her brother had taken her a time or two, but each time ended in them playing in the woods. She didn’t like to sit and wait for such things back then. She was more playful, especially when it was with her brother. So much has changed since then. Her life is not how she wanted it to turn out, but she was grateful for what she had. She use to think that it was her fault. Maybe if she never would have left he would be alive. Now she knows now it is not true. He would have gone on his own path whether she was there or not. She would never know what really happened. The only information she could get was from what others said. Her parents did not have anything to say to her about it. That was unusual thought. They never had anything to say to her anyway.

Zasha had heard of Sobirat'sya, but had never been there. It was far from where she had lived and her parents never wanted her to leave their side even though they didn’t want her near. “I know of the place, but have never seen it for myself. I was born in Igarka.” She didn’t tell them how long ago she left or why. They would already know it had been a long time since she had been in her home land. Her accent gave that away. “I have traveled quite a bit and have experienced many packs. Since I just joined this one, I can’t tell you what it is like. I can tell you about the others though.”

Liliy seemed to be a smart girl. Zasha bet she learned quickly seeing how she could cut that fish and cook it without paying any real amount of attention. Zasha could do that if her life depended on it. Her father has taught her well in that manner. Her English was still a little off though. She again wondered how long ago she left Russia. “All packs are different in some manner,” she continued. “I have enjoyed every one of them. To me, they are very nice. It feels good to be a part of something like that. I have never made one of them permanent but only because I wanted to experience the world. I do plan on staying here though. I think you will enjoy it. How long have you been away from Russia?”

<style type="text/css">
.Zasha01ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#717c65; text-align:center;}
.Zasha01 {margin:0 auto; width:366px; background-color:#d4ebbf; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... /zasha.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #3c4b2b; padding: 230px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#717c65; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc... WC 664

When she first arrived in the Northern lands and was met by Jacquez and Firefly, the girl was convinced that she had experienced enough of the sea to last a lifetime and the thought of so much as hearing another wave made her wretch. Her distaste for the ocean was short lived, though, and as soon as she got her landlegs back and stopped feeling like the world was constantly swaying, she began to brave a few walks and hikes out to the Cour des Miracles’ stunning shores. Certainly the territory had plenty of other beautiful and attractive scenery, but Orin quickly found herself awed by the sight of the water that wasn’t so fouled and polluted that it stung when you swam in it. This place was a stark contrast from where she and her brother had set sail with that ragtag group of sailors.

Another thing Orin had sworn off for the rest of her life was fish. There had been so much stinking fish on that boat that they were practically swimming in scales rather than water! Niro and most of the sailors survived on the rations they had brought along with them, but when supplies ran short, it was the smaller passengers who had to take the next best food source. Orin happily consumed bland fish after burnt fish after almost-raw fillet (that cook had been so unreliable), whilst her brother – a helping hand among the crew – maintained his full belly on the nicer grains and poultry and preserved beef the crew had stored. Certainly she wouldn’t complain then, but once they were on dry land and she caught the scent of bovine on the wind, she promised herself no seafood for a long time.

But as her opinion of the sea had changed so quickly, so seemed her feelings towards fish. At least, when it was being prepared so expertly, so close, and she was so delightfully peckish!

The girl had been leisurely wandering the coast, taking a much needed break from her studies. Her brother swore she would go blind if she stared at too many words for too long, and despite knowing better, she secretly wondered if he was right. Sometimes fatigue would set in, and it seemed to be hard to focus on anything. So to rest her mind, her eyes, and to stretch and exercise her body, she hiked the coast that she vowed she would never go near again.

She hadn’t been meandering long before the scent of crisply burning woodsmoke tantalized her nostrils. The smell had gotten her attention before she had even seen the gray plumes of a cook’s fire, and without pause she wandered towards it. After rounding a small, rocky bend, she could see where the smell was coming from; a little gathering of four Luperci out on one of the close islands. Most were unfamiliar, but one black Mohawk was unmistakable. Smiling to herself, the small woman waded out into the water towards the group.

She was so petite, in fact, that from afar it seemed a child approached, though Niro would know better. Where the water only reached the others’ knees, it nearly came to her midsection, but she was not afraid of the water nor of swimming. Soon enough, she was dredging up onto the isle, waving at the others. As she approached and came into better focus, it was well obvious that this small Luperci was no child, but a young woman, and just about as grown as she ever would be.

She made a show of inhaling deeply, her golden eyes turned to the girl who was cooking. “That smells exquisite!” She proclaimed, with all the sincerity and vigor she could muster, before scanning the group. “Hope I’m not interrupting anything.” She added, though seemed to already be under the impression that she was not. “I’m Orin. His better half.” She playfully punched Niro on the shoulder, before adding, “and by that, I mean sister.”

[/html]
[html]
WC: 274

Niro leapt at the chance to learn something new with his hands, and without the instructions from books it was great. He sat next to the older wolf when he saw his sister wading up. He was notably surprised to see her, and he stood up waving to her as she moved towards them, it seemed that her distaste for the fish she’d talked about on the boat had left her, He never even thought of tasting fish… until now, he only knew that’s what was given to her since she wasn’t doing much to help the crew out, while he helped mend and patch the boat up when it needed… and it did need it, often especially when the storms hit. When she came up to the shore and introduced herself, he rolled his eyes. He didn’t say anything knowing she’d keep at it until she was the one who triumphed and that usually ended up in his embarrassment.

Hi, Rurik is showing me how to fish.

He was sure the questions would be bombarded on the two new members as soon as she heard their accents, she was just that inquisitive but lately she’d been acting different than normal and he couldn’t always call her out on as much as he normally could, but he was sure she’d ask them tons of questions about their homes and what kind of books and if there were books that would teach her Russian, so she could read Russian. It was just a matter of time, although, the food might distract her long enough so that Rurik could teach Niro how to fish.

[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/erin_ruriktable.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Word Count :: 654

Even as the elder male turned back to fishing, his sable-furred ear was turned back to catch Zasha's words, listening with interest. He had never heard of her homeland—then again, Russia was a very large country, and sparsely populated in some spots. He had never been very far east, anyway—he liked the hustle and bustle of European cities, though he was certain that her homeland had its merits. He had never been to a place he really disliked, so he assumed everywhere likely had some good in it. Niro had come over to where he fished; there was only a few feet between the boys and the girls, but Rurik would be eager to turn back toward his new friends. Rurik was no neophyte when it came to making friends, and having his back turned for too long would make no good impression.

Liliya was listening to Zasha with interest, her bright blue eyes focused on the other woman even as she stirred at the fish with the wooden spatula tool, prodding its flesh occasionally. “What places you have seen? Father take me to see Aunt Zharky in place called Amsterdam. Mine cousins live there, they are nice! But zhis, zhis is... city, not pack,” the woman said, chattering eagerly with the other she-wolf. Liliy was surely enjoying the companionship. “Well, we leave when I vas... seven, eight months? Maybe. But oh, journey vas very, very long here. Yours too, yes?” she asked.

Meanwhile, The silver-furred male spoke to Niro, however, his voice elevated enough so that the others could listen in if they chose to. “To feesh is easy for me, but I was raised doing this, so maybe I do not really know,“ the man said, grinning. “But you need pole to feesh this way. I make one for you, if you want! You use feesh food for bait. Zhis can be other feesh, worm, meat... feesh like lots of things,“ the werewolf said, nodding sagely. Fish liked all kinds of food. “You wait for line to pull. This takes long time sometimes, but that is why they do not call it ‘getting,’” the Russian said, completely bungling the old adage about why they call it fishing and not catching.

However, today seemed like a day for biters—it was at that moment that the line gave a tug again. Rurik gave it a moment, and suddenly yanked the pole, hopefully hooking the fish in the lip. Sure enough, the desperate tugging at the other end told him he had been successful. The Russian werewolf's pole was rather rudimentary, to be certain—the fishing line only wrapped up around the end, and he was not able to truly reel it in. Years of practice had taught him how to use this tool well, however, and after a few moments of tug of war, the werewolf was able to land the fish, dragging it ashore. “Not too hard! If you want, you try next, and I vhill help you,” he said, grinning and standing back up, turning just in time to see the new woman arrive. He grinned and waved his hello, noting the woman's brightly colored hair.

“Allo, Orin,” Liliy said, grinning her greeting at the woman. “I am Liliya. Would you like a feesh? Mine father catch one for you, too, and I vhill cook,” the young woman said, smiling brightly. Rurik came up behind her with the next catch in his hand. “Hello there. Rurik Russo, the feesherman here! Good to meet you,” the man said, his tail wavering. This was a nice group of people, he thought. Very nice, indeed! He was already comfortable with everyone's friendliness here. “Everyone, eat please if you are hungry,” Liliya said, pointing to the plate. She slid the second fish onto it and began to cook the third, smiling over at her dad. She was also enjoying the company, of course.

Table by Erin

<style>
.rurik-gifterin p {text-indent:40px; margin:0px; padding:0px;}
.rurik-gifterin b{color:#FFFEEB;}
.rurik-gifterin-liliya{color:#C0BFAF; font-weight:bold;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry so short and the time it took. I have had a hellish last couple days. Next one will be tons better I promise.

Zasha was thrilled to talk to Liliya. She loved how the girl was so inquisitive. Her eyes were always rounded with curiosity every time she asked a question. Zasha could see them having long conversations. She was very much enjoying the friendly chatter. The aroma of the cooked fish seemed to seem into every molecule of air around her. The laughing and chatting from the others also seemed to swirl around her head. It truly was a magical moment in the evening. She hoped for many more to come. She picked up a piece of fish off the plate that was offered to her. The scent filled her nostrils and the taste was beyond marvelous. She wished she could cook like this. She never carried spices or anything like that with her, so most of her food was bland compared to this. Some packs had things they seasoned food with; a lot had been plants and flowers they had found in the wilderness. All of it had a unique flavor, something Zasha found incredible.

“This fish is amazing Liliya. You really do have a talent for cooking. I don’t think I could ever make anything like this.” Zasha said in between bites. After finishing the fish she sat back and relaxed. Her stomach was full and she was very satisfied with the meal. She continued her conversation with Liliya. “I had traveled threw Amsterdam too. I didn’t stay long; I was more interested in getting out of the country.” She laughed a little. “I travel the United States before coming here. It had been about a year now since I had been home. Well I guess you could say a year and a half. I was only home for a week or two before leaving again.” Memories came to mind of when she had gone home. Her parents were as cold as ever and told her brother was dead. They left it at that. No comfort was offered.

She came back to the present with a smile “I loved traveling but have decided it was time to settle. I can’t go on forever roaming around.” Little bits of what Rurik was saying to Niro caught her ears. It was fun to watch them to fish. They both seemed to be having a good time.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc... WC 688

If it was at all possible, her face lit up even more the moment she realized it was like she had walked into another world! A new kind of excitement beat in her veins at the first word she heard from one of the Russian wolves, and her smile broadened. Normally she might have baited Niro into a more fulfilling play fight, but he had mostly dismissed her banter, and she was too astonished now to pursue it. Leaving Niro to learn how to catch fish, she sidled up next to the other two women and made herself comfortable in the sand, crossing her legs and leaning her weight back onto her palms. Wow. Pleased to meet you Liliya, Rurik, and. . . oh, I don’t think I caught your name?” There was a profound sincerity in her voice, atoning for the fact that she really was enthused to meet these new friends.

Aye, and friends they were, indeed! Despite only arriving a moment ago, something in the air spoke volumes to the true and friendly nature of her packmates that relaxed here. Their good character was tangible. Certainly life in the Court had been a marked improvement from days she lived past, but something about the atmosphere this little group shaped made it feel like their friendliness was more than just diplomacy; it was authentic.

A small look of wonder was written on her visage as she watched Rurik present the fish to Liliya, admiring his skill for fishing. She was equally amazed as she watched Liliya’s skilled preparation and searing of the meat. “I would love one,” she said, holding a hand to her stomach. “I’m famished, and it smells amazing.” She felt unfortunate for being unable to lend a hand in the preparations. If Spring had had more time to nurture the lands she would have happily wandered off to gather fruit as a garnish or dessert; but still, all being wolves at heart, probably no one would miss it. A mental note was made to remember a gift if there was ever another little cookout on the beach like this.

She eagerly accepted her generous serving from Liliya once the fish was ready and made no hesitation in digging in to the fine meal. To hesitate would be an insult, like displaying doubt over Rurik’s superior catch and Liliya’s deft preparation. Not to mention, as she’d already said aloud a couple times, it smelled amazing and her senses would not let her take pause! She started off with one giant bite, savoring the taste of so fresh a catch. There was a brief worry that, after all this anticipation, it would taste just like the fish she was forced to eat day in and day out on the ship – but this meal did not even compare to the sad excuse she had been served aboard the vessel. She almost tried to suppress the ‘mmmm’ of pleasure that came so naturally, but did not, knowing it would be seen as a compliment to this hearty group. Oh, this is delicious!” she managed to eke out the words before devouring the rest of her plate.

Her enthusiasm for the unprecedented little gathering was fortified by the beautiful accents of the group’s patrons. To her glee, it seemed two of the comrades, Liliya and the other whose name she did not yet catch, were immersed deep in discussion about places they had been, and the lands from whence they came. Invigorated, Orin did not even bother to conceal her eavesdropping as she leaned forward, her white ears swiveling towards them so she would not miss a word.

“I can tell you’ve already said it,” she interjected eagerly. “But I didn’t catch it. Where are you all from? I love your accents. . . but I’m crap at placing them.” She expected the answer to probably come from Liliya or Zasha, who had been sitting in front of her conversing, but she could not help but turn her eyes back to Rurik, finding the exotic mixture of his accent combined with his honed fishing skills of profound interest.

[/html]
[html]
WC: 503
He watched and listened to Rurik as he explained the steps and how easy it was to fish, but it didn’t look easy, well after he started reeling the fish in… what was that he did with his wrist? He watched the man reel the fish in with his mouth open, it didn’t look so hard yet it seemed like it would be harder to learn than he thought, which made no sense to him.. At the mention of Niro trying it himself he beamed and held his hand out for the fishing pole. He almost forgot the bait. He was about to cast the line when he remembered, he went red under his light grey fur. He put the bait on with little trouble. He then tried casting the line, the hook and bait fell to the ground in front of him. Well it looked easier, he gave it another go, this time it hit the water, not exactly where he wanted it, but it was in the water, which was good enough for him. He stood awkwardly, waiting for a bite but nothing came. Rurik did say they didn’t bite right away.

What do you do if it takes a really long time to bite?

Niro asked, his young mind already bored with this task, of coarse if he were older and had some patience he’d actually keep at it, but he wanted to pull and tug, and get his reward rather than sit here and wait for it. He looked in the water to see if there were any fish at all, but he couldn’t tell in the murky water.

Does it always take so long for a fish to bite? Or did you catch the all already?

Niro asked impatiently, he was usually a disciplined wolf, but the excitement of catching the scaly fish was rather an exciting feet, but of coarse this didn’t feel like catching a fish at all, it felt like sitting with a pole in your hand watching the water move around. He looked over at the girls and watched as they talked, and smiled, he’d never really noticed females before, well his sister was always at his side, but she was his SISTER, just then his thoughts went straight back to the pole which was tugging a little, and his heart sped up as he knew he got a bite, the pulled at the line as hard as he could, hoping the girls were watching when suddenly… snap… the line snapped in half, now all he had was a pole with no hook, he felt horrible at the sight.

Oh I am TERRIBLY sorry!! I didn’t mean for that to happen.

He said apologizing to Rurik, and feeling rather embarrassed he now hoped that none of the girls had seen that happen, not even his sister… please let them be gossiping or something. He said not even wanting to look over at them, but to be scolded by Rurik for breaking his rod.

[html]

http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bottledrage.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 245px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;">

This thread is happytimes. :O (831)

Liliy was not intimidated by large crowds; she had grown up in the hustle and bustle of Sobirat'sya, surrounded by family and strangers both. However, it was not so long ago that speaking English so extensively would have made her choke up; time spent practicing with her father and brothers had certainly helped her in that area. She was glad Orin had decided to settle down, casting a friendly smile over her way. “And same to you, Orin,” Liliy said politely. The young woman didn't think twice about the way the group had separated; in time, the fish would be caught and everyone would come together again. Who knew where the night would take them? The two wolves' compliments toward her cooking made the young woman beam even as she took the next fish from her father and began to prepare it in the same fashion. Spasiba, both of you! Zasha, I think you practice, you can learn, too,” she said, slowing down so that the other might more carefully watch the preparation processes. “I have not seen lots in zhis country, only around here. Vhat is like outside here? Much same?” Rurik had told her a little bit about the pack structure that seemed prevalent on these parts of the world, but not much. “I do vant to see more of world before I stay forever,” she said, lowering her voice just a bit. She didn't want Rurik to think she was planning on leaving anytime soon. She certainly wasn't, but things had a way of unfolding sometimes, and Liliy wouldn't be able to prevent all the circumstances that might take her elsewhere. “Ve are all from Russia. Zasha is from different part than Rurik and me,” the brownish-colored canine said, happily explaining their origins to the newcomer to their midst.

Meanwhile, Rurik was busying himself back with Niro, standing back to allow the other man some room. If Niro had been one of his children, perhaps the Russian male would have been more quick to correct his form and the like; as Niro was an adult and he seemed to be doing quite well on his own anyway (after a few initial misfires), the Russian male kept himself quiet, grinning at the question. “There is not much you can do. Sometimes, throwing a little more food in water around bait helps to get their attention, but not always,” he said, shrugging. Fishing was no more a guarantee than hunting, but at least the target was infinitely less intelligent than many of the four-legged creatures wolves tended to hunt. At the man's next words the Russian wolf laughed, shrugging his shoulders. “There better be more'n three feesh in there! Such a pretty coast, it must be pretty beneath the water too. Feesh would come here just like we do,” the man said, laughing and wagging his tail. He wasn't much of a swimmer; he liked the water and swimming and all of that, but he couldn't hold his breath for very long, probably a by-product of years of smoking. The young man's fishing line suddenly gave a jerk, and Rurik pointed, not speaking so he did not startle Niro or anything. The pale-furred wolf attempted to emulate the experienced Russian wolf's actions, tugging backwards on the pole some. In a moment, the line had snapped, and Rurik made a noise of disappointment. The other man's apology followed immediately after, but Rurik held up a hand, shaking his head. “No worries, my friend! Is feesh line—sometimes, it breaks!” Fishing line was one of those human things that had survived remarkably well; even so, there was often evidence of wear and tear on line that was over twenty years old now, of course. A little deterioration was to be expected. “Humans make this stuff, it es very old,” the wolf said, pulling a small spool from his pants pocket. He grinned and showed it to the other man. “Liliy, you pass me another hook?” he asked, turning his head back to the girl. Immediately she began rummaging in the pack and produced another whittled hook, jumping to her feet and excusing herself for a moment from the other women, scuttling over to her father quickly, not wanting to leave the still-cooking fish for too long. Rurik took the hook from her and smiled, nodding his head as he turned back toward Niro. “Always have extra!” he said, smiling and nodding. It was probable the line would have broken anyway—Niro probably didn't do anything in particular to snap it. The Russian wolf began working on the pole even as Niro held the other end, looping the string about expertly a few times, tying it off after crossing it with itself several times. The hook took another moment to set up, and in no time, the pole was repaired and in the other man's hands. Rurik grinned at his handiwork and nodded to the other canine, indicating he could cast out again.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bottledrage b{font-weight:bold; color:#BC2B26; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.ruri-br-liliya {color:#770501;font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bottledrage p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(( wc 409))

Cooking was not something that Zasha had thought about learning. Since she was always on the move, it was not on her top priority list of things to learn. Now that she has decided to settle, it might be of value. She always appreciated another’s cooking. She loved all the flavors she had experienced threw out her journey; she just never took the time to learn one of the things she loved so much. It was a shame really. She would have been able to share a lot of different cultures threw this small task. Not only that, she would love to be able to cook those things for herself and share them with those around her here. In Russia she hadn’t spent much time learning to cook. Her mother never really thought to and she was too busy doing something else to occupy her time. Mostly she hunted and ate raw, still today she did that most of the time. It was easier to chase down her prey and eat it fresh. Her and her brother both loved the activity.

Zasha listen to Liliy speak to Orin. She smiled at Orin and nodded her head in agreement with Liliy. “What about you Orin? Did you and your brother come from around here?” She asked. She turned her head to look at Niro and saw him happily learning to fish with Rurik. It seemed the accident with the fishing pole had been settled. Rurik seemed to be very kind. He didn’t seem the least bit mad that the pole had broken. She guesses that it was she should have expected. He and Liliy had cooked this lovely meal for them. They had shown them how to fish and to cook. How could any expect anything other than kindness from them both?

Her eyes then drifted to the fish liliy was cooking. Again the fish smelled spectacular. She was cooking more slowly so that she and Orin could follow her movements. Zasha made sure to watch carefully but still she made sure to take aware of those around her. She didn’t wasn’t to miss anything that was going on. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to watch Niro and Rurik fish or watch Liliy cook and chat with Orin. It all seemed to be fascinating for her. “It doesn’t seem so hard now that I have paid close attention.” She didn’t take her eyes from the cooking fish while speaking.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc... WC 838 - Sorry about the wait, had a nutty week =)

Of course Niro could not escape total humiliation with his sister around. Her eyes had trailed after Rurik and often darted to peer at her brother as the pole was passed to him and he braved his first attempt at fishing. She noticed when he grew impatient, and snickered a little to herself, but did not make a show of her laughter not yet wanting to humiliate Niro on such a small issue. It was right when Orin thought her brother’s patience had gone completely that there was a little tug at the line, and Rurik pointed to the convulsing pole to show Niro he had a catch. She was reeled in, too, as he struggled to land the fish, she was enthralled and silently rooting for her brother. Then suddenly there was an ominous snap and the tension on the pole popped. She could see what happened when her brother turned to Rurik and apologized, and the silliness of it made her giggle a little less controllably this time. She bit back any words she had to say, though, not wanting to completely humiliate him and point out his failure to everybody. What kind of sister would she be? She covered her muzzle with her hand until she was confident that her giggles had passed. “It’s okay, Niro,” she chimed in when she was more calm. “No new hunter ever catches their prey on the first try, and this is a new kind of hunt for you. Still, I expect a fish from you by the end of the day!” She waggled her finger in jest and then turned back to the women.

“Oh,” first she regarded Liliya. “Russia? How marvelous! I’m sorry I don’t know much about your home country, but back in the South I briefly came across a book that contained several plays by a man named. . .” She paused, working hard to remind herself of the name, even mouthing it before she got it. “Oh! Chekov! Antwon Chekov? No, that's not right. . . maybe a little. Anyway, I think he was Russian, too. . . If you don’t mind me talking about human literature.” She knew something was wrong with part of the name she spoke, but wasn’t sure if her error was with the first or the last. At any rate, she assumed they would correct her if they knew what she was talking about.

“I didn’t get to read very much of the book before I lost it. It was pretty beaten up, too, and not one full work was in tact, but I could read snippets. It was hard to keep those kinds of things for very long. You wouldn’t happen to have any books, would you? By him or anyone else.”

She had downed the meal of fish so quickly and was now starting to feel the lazy after effect. First she stretched her arms and wriggled about in the sand, but the fish had been a substantial meal for her small body and soon she began to wonder if she had over eaten. She didn’t care if she had! It was worth it. Still, the slothfulness crept into her like a skilled spy, ‘oh well,’ she considered, ‘this is a day to relax!’ With a nearly audible sigh of relief and comfort, she reclined in the sand and propped her head up on hands she tucked beneath it. She stared at the clouds as she went on.

“Oh, I’m so stuffed. No, Niro and I aren’t from here either. We’re from the United States, or what once was anyway. We were stuck in the southern region, around Florida, for a while. It was hell down there so we decided to travel north when I found the diary about Jac and his pack.”

As she lounged and spoke with her new friends, she could hear the murmur of Rurik and Niro talking and righting the fishing pole so Niro could try again. An odd thought struck her at something Rurik said, ‘fish would come here just like we do,’ and a silly, morbid feeling came over her. “So, wait, are we eating vacationing fish?” Did the fish come to this spot just to gorge themselves on food, enjoy the beautiful sight, and relax? “I think that’s an analogy I would have rather not heard.” Her words were in good humor, though, and there was a bouncing laughter in her voice at the absurdity of it all. Well, they were in for a rude awakening when they were suddenly hoisted from their watery home and fell beneath Liliya’s knife! Orin couldn’t help but snicker at the weird, dark thought and the irony of it all. Was someone hunting them now, too, whilst they didn’t know it? Too distracted by their reprieve to notice? Her honey-colored eyes glimpsed around in good humor, and she quickly decided that this was not the case. Still, the concept was not lost on her.

“Hmm. . . Does anyone have anything to drink?”

[/html]
[html]
WC: 351

Niro sighed a breath of relief, ignoring Orin’s giggling in the background, when he saw Rurik fixing and reassuring him that it happens, especially with old fishing wire. This got him to thinking about if fishing line could be made now? He figured he would save that question for Orin later, right now he watched as Rurik refitted the line and put on another hook it was like watching him play on a stringed instrument the way he weaved the string through and tied the hook on, just didn’t get the beautiful music in the process. Once he got the get go to cast the line, Niro only had to try once t get the line in again this time, that gave him high hopes, and he didn’t have to wait too long, he just hoped he wouldn’t break the line again, he felt a tug on the line and he started pulling up against the fish, he fought for It, the strong little bugger didn’t want to leave the water but it did, and as soon as it did Niro did feel a pride of actually having caught his dinner in the water, even if this wasn’t the fish he was going to eat. This made him a happy wolf.

well look at that I did it!

He looked at his catch, it was considerably smaller than the other fish. Maybe this one wasn’t ready to be eaten, but he at least did catch It, so he knew he could do something right with a little help and practice, he wasn’t sure he’d fish a lot, maybe if he had others to fish with but if he fished alone, he thought he would go crazy.

I’m not sure if this one’s ready to be eaten though.

He said holding the line up to Rurik, not right in his face but to where he could reach out, Niro wasn’t sure about pulling a fish off the hook, and he wanted to be sure what to do with a fish when it was too small, well if this fish was too small.

[html]

Of all the Russos, there was one who excelled above the rest—Rurik's elder brother Thorn was perhaps the best cook in all of Russia, and it was not just their familial attachment that made Rurik think in this manner—the pale-furred man was unparalleled in his cooking skill. He had learned the skill very, very well, and the silvery Russian missed this about his brother. Orin had taken note of the broken hook, though, and the ash-colored hybrid laughed, agreeing with her entirely. “She is right, my friend,” he said, grinning broadly. “Is okay, you no catch now—but I vill have you catch one by end of t'day,” the man stated.

“If you vant try, you cook next feesh, ya?” she said to Zasha. Liliya continued prodding at the fish until it was about done. Sliding the fish from the pan and onto the plate, she offered it up to whoever had yet to munch—there was always more coming, Liliya knew. She depended on her father for sustenance most of the time, but she was slowly learning how to fend for herself—it was a slower process for these Russian-raised werewolves, as they were generally used to living in the cities, and open wilderness was not their particular forte. “Chekov? No, I do not know him,” she admitted. “I do not zhink I could read him. Russian language es in deeferent alphabet,” Liliy explained. Her father could do a much better job of explaining, of course—and as it was, Liliy was only barely literate in Russian. English was a different beast entirely. “I do not have books, sorry. I do not read very good,” the woman repeated. It was difficult for Liliy to read even in her own language.

“Vhat stories you know? I like leesten, even if I do not read,” she asked, stealing a glance at Zasha, allowing the woman to object if she had a problem with human stories—Liliya didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable, though she didn't know what problems anyone might have with literature. Orin had suggested it, though, and Lil thought it was only polite to extend the same courtesy to Zasha. She didn't know anything about this Jac person or the history behind this pack—it would be an interesting story, no doubt.

It was not too long before Niro had his second fish—this time, as the man went to pull him in, the silvery werewolf offered some pointers. “Do not jerk line so very hard this time, it vill be better,” he said quietly, his brilliant blue eyes watching with excitement as Niro reeled the fish in. He hoped it would go better for his packmate this turn, but he wasn't going to get frustrated or yank the pole away or anything like that—some canines would get impatient, but Rurik was not one of them. As Niro landed the fish, Rurik's grin spread wide. “Excellent,” he complimented, nodding his head in approval.

“I think if zhis was not your first feesh, we throw him back, but... first one can be keeper,” the man said, grinning. If it weren't Niro's first catch Rurik probably would have recommended throwing it back; as it was his very first, though, they could hang onto him. The werewolf stooped down to grab ahold of the fish, undoing the hook from his lip deftly. He turned back toward the group of women, grinning broadly at Orin's statement. “Well, maybe—but the feesh, zhey are kind of dumb. So... I don't know,” he admitted, holding up the next one. “Niro caught a wee one,” the man said, proud of the younger man.

“Drink?” the man said, his ears perking up. He handed the fish off to Liliya, who looked over to Zasha. “You want try, Zasha?” the younger woman asked. She wouldn't force the other woman to cook if she didn't want to, but it was worth asking. Meanwhile, Rurik held up the bottle of vodka he'd carried with them. “Only the finest!” he declared, offering it over to Orin. “Does have a bit of kick, though,” he warned. The vodka was Rurik's favorite, of course, and he was well-accustomed to the taste, but it didn't mean anybody else was.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-hell b{font-weight:bold; color:#E4DED8; letter-spacing:1px;}
.rurik-hell em {font-weight:bold; font-style:normal; color:#CEC4BB;font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.rurik-hell p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
.rurik-hell {width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/ruri_hell.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 278px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#B6B1AD; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc... Posting out of order to keep this thread alive, since Zasha seems to be busy. =)

WC 900

Her attention wavered between the conversation she tried to hold with the women and her brother’s fishing expedition. It was impossible to look away as Niro’s line began trembling again, and he struggled to pull in whatever unfortunate sea-dweller was stuck on the other end of the line. She rooted for Niro silently at first, but couldn’t contain her excitement when it began to look like Niro was actually going to get this one. She bounced a little in her seated position, “Yeah, Niro, here it comes!” She cheered as he hoisted the flapping, scaly animal out of the waves. It was almost comical all over again when she saw the size of the fish, and she covered her mouth with her hand, but did well in suppressing the giggle.

Turning back to Liliya and Zasha, she celebrated, “He got it!”

After her brief distraction she easily ebbed back into the conversation, hearing everything Liliya was telling her about reading, books, and languages. It had never occurred to her that the English alphabet she knew was not the only alphabet that existed, short of a very few variations wolves had made in some Luperci scriptures (which seemed as commonplace as the English letters). At this thought her eyes grew round. “Oh my god, really? They have another alphabet?” She was floored, absolutely thrilled, the hackles on the back of her neck bristled with excitement. “I. . . I never even thought about that existing. I guess I just kind of thought what I’ve been used to was all there was. It’s not easy finding readable books since paper is so temporary, so the most legible things that weren’t Luperci-made all came from the States, where they mostly spoke English. If you ever wanted some lessons. . . on reading English that is. . . I'd be happy to help you.”

She turned to Rurik as he ambled over, grinning as he held up Niro’s catch, clearly proud of his young pupil. Clapping her hands together, she commended her brother as Rurik handed the fish to Liliya and then offered up the vodka bottle. “Oh, thank you,” she said as she accepted the bottle from him and put it to her lips without questioning what was inside. All she knew was that it was something to drink, and she was grateful! She quickly tipped the bottle back and then heard Rurik say ‘. . .does have a bit of kick. . .’ Kick? What is he talking about? And then she knew.

Her eyes widened as the pungent liquid poured into her mouth, more than a greenhorn like herself would prefer to gulp down, and in her surprise she quickly guzzled the mouthful of flaming liquid. She choked and coughed and the breath burned in her throat and stung her mouth. Tears welled in her eyes as she looked at Rurik and sputtered for breath after the hearty swig of vodka. She shoved the bottle back towards him, and took a minute before she could remember how to talk. “Oh. . . Oh my. . . that burns. . . make it stop. . . what is that?! That's finest? Rurik, I'm sorry but, I think it may have gone bad.” It wasn't her intention to offend Rurik, but she had truly never tasted alcohol before nor was previously aware of its taste. She was well aware of its boisterous effect on the spirit, though.

Wiping the tears from her eyes, she turned back to Lilya and Zasha and tried to pick up where they had left off, though suddenly she began to feel fuzzy, and even friendlier than usual (if that could happen). “Well, I know a lot of stories. . .” her concentration was a little off, but she kept going. “Like this one about a girl named Antigone. . . it’s actually a play that people used to act out. . . I guess it was ancient even for the humans. It’s about this girl who’s brothers are killed at war, but one is a traitor, so the king says she can’t bury him. She defies the king and decides to perform burial rites for him anyway, and gets caught, so the king orders her execution. Only there is this prophet, you see, who says the gods have said what the king is doing is wrong, so the king orders Antigone to be sealed in a tomb and fed, but kept alive. The girl ends up killing herself, and then her fiancée, the king’s son, kills himself, and then the king’s wife kills herself, and then the king goes mad in despair.” She looked down at her hands as her voice trailed off, suddenly feeling foolish for summarizing such a depressing story at such a happy occasion. “Well, its pretty grim when you sum it up like that, but it’s really kind of neat if you read it. You get a lesson out of it, about how strong the girl was to defy the king and the men, for the love of her family. Not everything is that dark, only the ancient stuff.”

She nodded once, looking at the others with an awkward grin, and all of a sudden a little more of Rurik’s fire-drink didn’t sound like such a bad idea. Glancing to the gray Russian, she asked, “Um, could I try a little more of that?”

[/html]