Discovery
[html]
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rintab.png); background-color:#cd3f7e; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">
©table code and image to jacoby: For Orin

OOC: WC 413

She had cooped herself up in her room in the Chien Hotel for much too long, and finally the day came that the girl could not stand to sit inside one more moment. It was not uncommon for Orin to leave her chamber and heft her books someplace outside to read, but suddenly she just had enough of it. Her brother, Niro, had been wanting her to get out more and more, and had been growing increasingly worried about her seclusion. Especially since the young girl was a naturally vibrant, social creature. Though for all his worrying, Orin had waved her brother off save for a few occasions.

She had spent the morning in front of her vanity mirror, playing with all the ways she could pin back her dreadlocks, but ultimately decided she liked them best when they were hanging free. All this inspection of her long locks made her realize just how faded they were becoming, and she began to worry over whether or not she would be able to find the proper dyes for her fur here in the Northern lands. She puzzled over her plight for a few minutes while she picked at her bushy pink tail fur, before promptly exiting her room and joining the real world for the first time in several days.

On a hunt for the right plants to treat her fur with, she wandered from her home in the Chien Hotel, and was gone on her hike for several hours, following a blind trail of scents and clues to the north . . .

. . . Despite how long she had been at a brisk jog in her Optime form, the girl was not out of breath yet. The hotel was in her sights, and she could not wait to get back and find her brother. She found one last burst of speed, and sprinted until she was at the hotel.

She stopped outside, walking around the perimeter of the building until she was under her brother’s window. She panted lightly as she picked up a few pebbles and rapped them against the paneling outside his room. Sure, it probably would have made more sense to just go inside and run up the stairs, but Orin didn’t feel like bothering with sense.

“Niro! Niro, wake up!” Being almost noon, he was probably already awake, and might not even have been in his room. She didn’t stop to consider this before throwing another pebble.

[/html]
[html]
WC: 316

Niro had been spending the last few weeks cutting chopping, shaping, and building his masterpiece. A beautifully constructed birdcage, and he was almost finished with it. The chicken wire he’d found in the stables would do just fine for the use he was going to have for this bird cage, once he fixed on the door he’d put the cage in the stables, birds didn’t belong in his room, no matter how beautiful or awesome he thought they were, he knew they could b e loud and obnoxious. Not to mention they pooped where ever they wanted. Once putting in the last of the hinges he started to open the gate to see how it worked.

Crack.

his ear twitched but didn’t hear anything, and then continued to wiggle at the door to see how sturdy it was.

Crack

Niro folded his ears back this time, was someone throwing stones… at his window? Then he heard Orin’s excited voice outside, wait… SHE was outside… and HE was inside? That was a bad omen in his eyes, he walked to the window and opened it only to find a stone coming straight for his face. And he fell backwards as it hit his forehead. He sat on the ground rubbing his throbbing temple and stood back up. Geez that girl had a good arm. She’d make something of it if she didn’t just use them to prop open books. He grabbed something to shield himself with for the next attack of a rock.

‘the heck you doing, you nearly took my eye out sis?!

Niro grumbled loud enough for his sister to hear him, he was still rubbing is hurt forehead as he looked down. Something had Orin in a rut that was for sure, the last time he’d seen her act like this was their birthday and it was to give him his present.

<style type="text/css"> .niro-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#4B73D8; letter-spacing:1px; } .niro-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;} .niro-a01{width:425px; background-color:#BCC7E7; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/nirotable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#3A4A6C; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style> [/html]
[html]
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rintab.png); background-color:#cd3f7e; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">
OOC: ©table code and image to jacoby: For orin

WC 305

“Ooh!” she yelped in surprise as Niro’s window flew open, and she saw the rock she had just thrown heading right for his face. She cringed, and her cry of, “Niro, watch out!” seemed to come well after the stone had pelted him right between the eyes. There was a momentary pause of silence before her voice trailed through the window again. “Niiiiro. . . are you alright?” Oh no! I’ve killed him! were the thoughts rampaging through her head. She was still grimacing by the time Niro returned to the window.

Then she laughed. “Ohhh my god, I’m so sorry!” Her words were broken by her laughter. “That was a good one, I can’t believe I got you right --" Her words were interrupted by another bout of laughter when she noticed the shield he had brought with this time. Unable to resist the temptation, she picked up another two pebbles and tossed them up.

Finally she began to calm a bit, but as usual the smile would not leave her muzzle. She panted, the laughter that capped her long jog finally got her out of breath. She bent over a little, peering up at Niro’s window out of the corner of her eye.

“Well,” she huffed. “You just gonna stand there or are you gonna come down here and see what I have to show ya? Or we can do more target practice!” She grinned mischievously as she reached for another pebble. Although she didn’t really make an effort to keep the whole pelting her brother with rocks thing going. Instead, she decided to enjoy a little respite while she waited for him to make his way out to her. She quickly surveyed her surroundings, and then disappeared behind a tree that seemed to just be waking up from the waning winter.

[/html]
[html]
WC: 327

Niro shielded himself from the two pebbles his sister threw in her laughter, although he didn’t need to he could have dodged them easily now that he could see where they were coming from and he could see the culprit. He scowled at her laughter thinking it really wasn’t that funny, he hefted himself up when she taunted him and trotted down the stairs at his own pace, he opened the front door and looked out to make sure she wasn’t there ready to hit him with more pebbles. But she wasn’t he found a few of his own pebbles and tiptoed around the edge of the house to where his window was, keeping his ears perked and listening as well as watching for his sister, he crouched down to the ground and looked over the corner to see if he could spot her, he saw a small bit of her tail behind a tree and he grinned as he pulled himself back to the safety of the house wall, he took one of the stones in his hand and chucked it as hard as he could at the tree, knowing full well she wasn’t gonna get hit, then he darted behind another tree grinning wolfishly.

Can’t hide from me sis!

he said as he readied another stone, from his new position he could spot Orin easily but he knew she could also see him so he didn’t waste any time in throwing the stone at her and hit her right on the leg. He whooped in triumph.

you can’t get me without me getting you back, now what did you want?

Niro laughed at his sister. He knew it had to be something exciting or she would have ran up to his room and pounded on his door which is what she normally did, he was surprised that she was even out. Maybe she finally read all the books in the whole of the hotel?

<style type="text/css"> .niro-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#4B73D8; letter-spacing:1px; } .niro-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;} .niro-a01{width:425px; background-color:#BCC7E7; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/nirotable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#3A4A6C; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style> [/html]
[html]

WC 355

The shaggy pink on the end of her tail undoubtedly gave her position away, especially to astute eyes like Niro’s. But, in her defense, she wasn’t really hiding. She whooped when the rock hit the tree, and made a half-barking sound that was uncommon for her in her Optime form. She shuffled behind the tree, trying to draw her body up and make herself smaller so the oncoming revenge from her brother may not be successful, but she was no competition! She glanced over her shoulder and stared right back at her brother . . . on a much shorter scale than normal. While he was preoccupied with the pebbles and coming down to see what she wanted, she had changed into her Lupus form.

Her eyes widened as she noted the inevitable attack, and just as she jerked to get out of the way the pebble pegged her in the leg. She yelped, though it was playful, not painful, and barked at Niro. “Hey! Didn’t your momma ever teach you not to hit a girl!” She snorted, trotting over to him and looking up, tail wagging. It was a rare sight to see Orin in her Lupus form.

She dropped her chest to the ground, wiggling her rump in that irresistible, universal challenge to play. “See how fast I changed? I’m getting better at it!” She boasted, and then butted her head into Niro’s hip.

With a yap, she bounded around him and snatched his tail in her mouth, pulling him around in a circle before letting go and bounding a few paces off. She stopped several yards away from him, paws and tail animated, and looked over her shoulder. “Come on, slowpoke! I’ve got something to show you!”

And no way am I jogging back there in Optime. She mused to herself. I’m fit enough, though I think I need to exercise a little more, but that form is just so slow. She was really quite a fast little bullet in all of her forms, though for true speed and endurance, she always preferred Old Reliable . . . her natural wolf body.

[/html]
[html]
WC: 318

I think that was on her to do lists

Niro said, and when she started showing off her form he seemed rather impressed, he rarely saw her as a wolf, maybe three or four times, well possibly more, but he wasn’t counting… yet, but they’d done it to hide or out run thieves rapists and murderers back when they were in their old home, he was actually surprised she’d changed now, but it did feel rather good to go back to their own natural forms at least once in a while. He always had time to change, it was a nice thing to race on his own four paws.

It would have been a rather odd sight to see if a passerby came about now with a wolf with pink dreads pulling on Niro’s tail, who was taller by a lot, yet letting himself be twirled around in a circle by a pink and white wolf. At least that’s what it looked like In Niro’s mind’s eye when he fell to the ground as she bounced around playfully, well two can play this game! At the thought he too changed into his canine form. He normally hunted like this, although he looked rather silly with a Mohawk as a four legged wolf but that didn’t bother him, it was the same type of hair he’d remembered his father having, so he kept it like that in tribute to his father. It seemed she’d found something that was too good for her not to keep a secret about … which was… everything, but knowing her, she’d be too fast for him, so he had to make sure to try to keep up with her this time around, it must be something good if she didn’t change into her optine form again so he followed her, hoping it would be worth the run, although anything was worth the run.

[html]
OOC: WotD: Portentous, adjective - Marvelous; prodigious; wonderful; as, a beast of portentous size.

WC 648

©table code and image to jacoby: For Orin

Once she spied Niro’s slate-colored form darting towards her, she bolted off again. She cut a clear path almost exactly from the way she had come (but not the way she had originally gotten to her destination, for that was round-about and askew), following her own tracks and scent. She led her brother North, through the streets of Lunenburg and towards the Shattered Coast. As they bolted through the mostly abandoned city, held together and kept up by a few pack members here or there, her eyes began to wander. At one point, she led Niro around the wrong turn and to a dead end, where she promptly spun around and pounced her brother playfully before dashing off in the right direction again. Sometimes, when she thought he might overtake her, for he could probably follow her light scent trail, she would dodge this way, or that, to throw him off, or trip him, or other games of devious sibling rivalry.

Eventually, the two made an exit from the city and flew into the territory of the Shattered Coast. Her tongue lolled out of the side of her mouth, and she panted heavily from the extended run, but still in her excitement, she would not stop until she brought Niro to her destination. It almost seemed that she would run right off the map, when finally, at the far end of the Shattered Coast, her jog slowed to a peppy walk. There was a heavy gale here, whipping cold winds through their fur, like the tail end of Winter not wanting to relinquish its reign to Spring. The waves crashed madly against the cliffs, and the oceanspray dappled their coats but did not penetrate her thick underfur.

She panted still as she trotted and looked at Niro. “You’re still here?” She yipped and bumped into his side before bounding a few steps ahead to avoid any retaliation. She glanced over her shoulder at him, taunting, and then looked ahead at their destination.

Before them, at the end of the cliff face that they padded on the northernmost tip of the Shattered Coast, loomed a portentous structure. It was marvelous - majestic even - the way it watched over land and sea alike, teetering on the brim of two worlds. Gulls seemed to float about its precipice, too lazy to bother to fight the winds and fly forward. Occasionally, the high tide that assaulted the rocks would crash with such a vigor that the waves would spray all around the structure and punctuate its very presence.

She slowed as she neared the great construction and stopped a few meters from its walls. Time had worn away brick and mortar here and there. A stair had crumbled away. A railing was being consumed by rust. But ultimately, the lighthouse was in great condition.

She peered up the tower and squinted at the lantern room that seemed to kiss the sky. She marveled that, from this vantage point anyway, it seemed to be fully in tact. She had never seen anything like this. Perhaps there had been some monolithic skyscrapers that far surpassed the height of this tower in the condensed cities of Florida, but she had been too preoccupied watching over her shoulder to take a moment to look upwards and marvel at the architecture there.

“Have you ever seen anything like it? Do you know what it is? I think I know, I’ve read about them.” She couldn’t bring herself to look away while she spoke to Niro. There was a somber, awed tone to her voice that made it almost inaudible beneath the waves and the relentless wind. Her eyes turned from the skytower to the stone stairway that led to the entrance. The stairs were well enough in tact to get them there, they would just have to skip a collapsed stone or two. “I haven’t been inside yet.”

[/html]
[html]
WC:409

he followed his sister in through the partially deserted town he was meaning to explore, and he was trying not to look around because his sister would get too far ahead of him, he shook his head to tell himself that his mind was wandering too far from the present and he better keep his ears and nose alert, or he’d lose his sister. She was a fast little thing that was for sure, how could she be his twin when she was so much smaller and by far quicker? He knew he had more stamina than her, and her play tactics were fun although a little bruising at times and he played along, he’d been able to nip at her tail only once but that was good enough for him, they soon found themselves on another shore, and he was just awed by this sight in itself. The sea water didn’t bother him, it was the wind that was helping the waves that did but he was preoccupied by the cliffs on this side, it was definitely worth to come back and explore then he bumped right into his sister, who was apparently talking to him, he looked at what she was looking at and saw the massive lighthouse tower, he grinned a wolfish grin, he knew she knew very well, but she didn’t know that he’d already been to one before when they were in Florida. He’d wandered off a little at the time and was rather angry at his sister so when he’d finally been able to show her they were already setting off to the docks to get on the boat, it would have made for a great surprise, but now that he saw this one, it was much better, and well kept it seemed.

Yeah, you know what they are, they are the beacons of boats,

Niro said, he didn’t have to say much more than that, even the meaning would put the word in her head, he walked a little past her,

Let’s go in sis, this is an adventure you’ve been waiting for right?

he barked a few times and cantered toward the lighthouse knowing full well Orin wanted to get there first. And she would, he wouldn’t deny her of that happy beginning. He’d never been inside a lighthouse and wasn’t sure what to expect, but it loomed over them taller and taller, and made him feel so short.

[html]
OOC: ©table code and image to jacoby: For Orin

WC 334

She tripped forward a couple steps when her brother bumped into her rump, but was too preoccupied with the spire before them to retort. When he corroborated her suspicion of the purpose of this building, her face lit up and her heart skipped a beat. “Marvelous!” How simply marvelous this find was. “This place has everything, Niro,” she mused. “Heroes, horses, grand old buildings. . . all right out of my books!” It seemed she had forgotten what form she had taken, and almost started to make a grandiose gesture with her forelimbs before remembering she needed them for balance, so instead she executed a small hop.

“Hey, not so fast!” She snorted as Niro began to take off for the door without her. Her haunches bunched and she was soon in motion, bumping her shoulder into her brother’s rump to throw him off balance before racing to the stairs herself. She jumped in a great arch, clearing half the stairs in one bound, and soon was at the top pedestal, looking back at her brother and grinning her triumph.

Her nose got to working to ensure that they were not about to trespass in anyone’s home, but it had been so long since the last living creature crossed this stoop that the scents had all diminished. All that was left to smell here was dust, sea salt, and seagull droppings.

For a moment she considered shifting back to Optime, but the anticipation was too much and she couldn’t bear the notion of waiting any longer. She put her nose to the edge of the door and the jamb, and could see the old deadbolt had been broken some time ago. She pushed lightly, but the door would not budge. Exasperated, she looked for Niro, before pushing against the door with more force. This may have been a difficult but reasonable task for her Optime body, but this small wolf was no match for the rust-glued hinges of the great door. “A little help?”

[/html]
[html]

WC: 261

He knew she wanted to get there first and from the bump that she gave him she wasn’t willing to take any chances at getting there after him. He slid a little and slowed to a walk to let her have all the room she wanted. He watched as she started pushing on the door and he could tell it wasn’t going to be easy to open just herself, and turning back to his optime wasn’t something he was considering now, he was weary from the run as well as his own change, he did it rarely and hated changing so suddenly so he moved next to her when she demanded his help and started pushing a little, and with a snap and a creak Niro found himself being thrown into darkness before the light shown through the dark, damp hallway.

Niro shook his head and opened his eyes to find himself face to face with a cracked skull, he whimpered and backed away it was something long dead, but of what he didn’t know,

Should we really be going in here?

He asked staring at the blank eyes that seemed to be telling him that he was trespassing. Of course whatever did live here before was long gone now, there wasn’t any fresh scents and now he could smell old death, which frightened him somewhat. He didn’t know why though. He looked at Orin, letting her know that her decision he’d stand behind, so if she wanted to proceed, he would, and if he didn’t, he’d follow her home.

[html]

WC 441

She wedged her shoulder up against the door and helped Niro shove at the aged wood with all her might. When the rust finally cracked from the hinges and the door gave way, swinging in a wide arc, she tumbled into the darkness next to her brother. She did a somersault, and came to a stop on the ground on her side. She quickly rolled onto her stomach and stared up, wide-eyed, at the strange, twiggy thing that gaped back at Niro. “Wow!” She scrambled to her paws and was at her brother’s side in an instant.

This peculiar, unfamiliar skeleton wasn’t as alien to Orin as it had been to Niro. The majority of books she had read had been written about and by humans, and many of them had illustrations to accompany the text. It hadn’t been long before Orin was able to recognize drawings of humans – men, women, and children alike. And certainly in some of the more macabre tales she had read, there had been paintings of creeps and ghouls and skeletons too.

Her nose worked, sniffing at the bones but once again only finding the dusty scent of age and no trace of what a human may have smelled like. “It’s a human,” she informed her brother as she nudged at the ribcage and jostled the thing. She cringed and leaped as the skull rolled off of its precarious perch and clattered to the ground. “Or, well. . . it was a human. Look at how much smaller it is than we are in Optime. . . even me. I didn’t know they were that litte.”

She wanted to inspect the remains more, but was distracted by the interior of the lighthouse. Her eyes wandered as she took in the deep stone walls that had kept this little abode safe; there were broken shelves full of gear and old supplies, much of it still recognizable in its shape. Above there was no ceiling, only a winding spiral-staircase that took the occupant up into the lantern room. There was a living space off through a small hall, and she wandered towards it. She nudged the door with her muzzle and this one swung open freely. Inside, through the filtered light that came through the windows, she could make out moth-eaten furniture and the silhouette of another skeleton in the bed. She frowned, intrigued and disgusted by the bones all at once.

“There’s another one in here,” she said offhandedly to her brother as she trotted back. “Is there anything you want to keep?” And with that, the twisting stairway snagged her attention, and she began the ascent.

[/html]
[html]
WC 301

The musty smell didn’t seem to bother him, it was everywhere in unlived places, it meant there wasn’t much danger other than from bones… and bones didn’t walk so he felt a little braver as he followed his sister in a slow pad around the room there were some things, he found something that looked like a pocket knife, that might come in handy once his own knife, already worn from use, was out of commission. He moved over and picked it up in his mouth, watching for anymore new treasures, he’d just might have to come back to explore some more. He didn’t answer Orin’s question only a small gruff grunt to her saying he was already carrying something. Then she started up the steep steps and he followed quietly, he knew he should be in his optime form, it was a slow ascent so he decided it was best to change before they got to the top, and he knew his sister was to excited to remember she was in her wolf form, so he stopped, it took him a bit longer to change so he had to jog up the stairs to catch up to his sister, the knife was in his hand now,

There might be seagulls up here. Be careful sis, they are pretty mean and territorial,

He said a little out of breath, all the running and climbing was finally catching up to him. Once at the top he checked the door to make sure it would open, and it seemed intact enough to, he looked at his sister his ears perked,

Ready sis?

He knew this part would be a sight to see, as far as they’d already climbed, he wouldn’t be surprised if it was a better view than the cliffs themselves.

[html]
OOC: ©table code and image to jacoby: For Orin - WC 515

She stopped at the top of the stairwell and turned, peering back down for her brother but not seeing him past the first arch of the steps. She barked once, and the sound echoed down the cylinder, reverberating off the stone walls in a hundred directions. She laughed and barked again, amusing herself with the resonance until she could finally see Niro’s Optime form trudging up the stairs. “What took you so long?” But the question was clearly in jest, for she could see he had taken pause to change.

She pranced along the small platform to the door of the lantern room and peered at it in anticipation. She could hear scuffling behind the door accompanied by the occasional screech or rustle of feathers. “We can scare them off,” she muttered as she lowered her head. A deep growl rumbled from her chest, a sound that was utterly unusual for Orin to make, and did not seem it could come from her small, innocent form. Just as briskly as it had started, the growl dissipated and she looked up at her brother with a very wolfish grin. “Lets go!” She hollered, nudging the door with her muzzle.

The scent of ocean air poured into the room as the door swung open. This room had not been as well preserved as the living and working quarters downstairs, but was still astounding to behold. The entire room was constructed of several panes of shaped glass; the years and weather had shattered a couple panes, and cracked one or two more, letting the sea and avian life ravage the room. The floorboards were turgid with moisture, and on the far end were just about to give way to the wet and decay. “It looks like we got here just in time!” she celebrated. And suddenly her plans to fix up the lighthouse became quite clear. “These boards would have rotted through any day now, and then the ocean would have eaten this place alive.”

She braved a cautious step into the room. The floorboards creaked beneath her weight but seemed sturdy enough here. The lantern that stood in the center was untouched by the humans’ most updated technology, but Orin would not know the difference until she researched these structures in depth. Dander and feather plumes swirled in the air that rushed in from the broken windows. Whitewash littered the floor and the heady scent of bird was thick in the air. By the looks of several nests, occupied or abandoned, strewn throughout the room and including one constructed right in the lamp itself, the gulls had taken a liking to this shelter and several families of seabirds had made this their home. And now they were all staring straight at the intruding Luperci.

Her eyes peered up at her brother for a moment before she turned back to the gulls. Taking another step inside, she lowered her head and growled again, warning the creatures they had intruded upon. When they did not budge, she barked a warning, trying to scatter them out the open glass panes.

[/html]
[html]
WC: 328

He knew Orin would go in quickly, and he followed her but stopped short, the wood was so rotted he was sure he’d fall right through the boards. He stayed near the edge of the doorway, and looked in as Orin carefully maneuvered herself on the boards. He watched her with wide eyes, fearing for her life, one wrong step he was sure she’d fall. His entire attention was on Orin, not on the sight or the birds or anything. He knew she was being fool hearted but if he moved now it would not be a good thing. He was sure he’d fall right through these boards. At her mention of fixing it up, he shot a look at her… she meant him fixing this rugged old place up? She was good at reading but nothing else really passed through those hands. He sighed, knowing he’d been opted to do a task that already looked quite dangerous… then she started fighting with the birds, oh how was he going to get her out of this, he could see the seagulls squawking at her some had flown but a few, probably the nesting mothers, stayed.

Orin, they are nesting here, they’ll die to protect their eggs, get back over here, we can shoot them out or something later!

Niro said in a tone that said he meant what he was saying, he looked around and saw some splinters of wood, and grabbed his leather thong he’d been recently wearing, and started wrapping it so it would be like a sling, and he’d use it, how inefficient it was, but he had to, if she were to be her normal self and not listen to him. The birds were flapping their wings at Orin as she barked and growled, the astonishment of that moment stayed only for a few seconds, poised to throw the small piece of wood. It probably wouldn’t be deadly but it would scare them off.

[html]
OOC: ©table code and image to jacoby: For orin - WC 430

She tried to pay careful attention as she padded onto the waterlogged boards and chased off a few of the nesting gulls, but the more noise she made with her snarls and barking, the less she heard the groaning of the precarious floorboards. She had not meant to wander as far into the room as she had, but easily got carried away.

Realization of just how far into the room she had tread slowly came over her as Niro’s warning boomed from behind. He sounded really serious this time; though he often did, there was an urgency in his tone that not even Orin could ignore on her most adventurous of days. Something in his voice and the way he asserted himself sounded so like those days back in Florida, and it sent a small pang of fright through her. She froze in her tracks and peered back over her shoulder at Niro, the fur on the back of her neck standing on end.

The room was silent for a moment save for the frantic seagulls, and now that she wasn’t yipping and nipping at them they were beginning to settle back into their nests. Aside from that, everything was in it’s place, so what was Niro worried about? The wind was rushing in through the broken glass, the sound of the waves crashed against the cliffs, the floor groaned. . .

She lowered her head and whimpered softly as she realized the predicament she had gotten into. Somehow, she was all the way across the room now, and although the lantern room was not that large, it felt like Niro was a thousand miles away. She briefly glanced to the view outside, noting just how far up in the tower they were, and remembering how hollow the structure had been.

She took a step forward, feeling the wood with her forepaw and slowly lowering her weight onto it. She thought she could feel it bend, thought she could see it bend, and suddenly the ground was much more fragile than when she had made her brash entrance. “Niro. . .” she spoke in a shaky whisper, as though just talking too loud would seal her fate. “Niro. . . the floor doesn’t seem very stable here.” If she hadn’t been in such a plight, it might have been comical the way she stated the obvious, and only now acknowledged the obvious. She tried to brave another step forward but the burdened wood moaned, and she lifted her paw as quickly as she had set it down. “What do I do?”

[/html]
[html]
WC: 301

Niro’s heart nearly burst out of his chest when he heard his sisters frightened words. Think, think! He looked around the room, it was nothing but glass wood and the light in the middle, it was set in stone, that’s the best place for her now,

Orin. Listen carefully, I need you to go to the middle of the room, that’s the closest for you ok sis? Don’t look down and pretend you’re a feather, make sure to step around any cracks and step awayf from any holes. Don’t do it really slowly, ok? Any sign of anything falling and you run, understand?

Niro’s voice didn’t shake as he spoke slowly to his scared sister, She was lucky that she was on four paws if she were in her optime and the weight distribution wasn’t as wide spread she would have surely fallen. He had to be brave for her, or there was not going to be an Orin. He took deep breaths looking at the floor seeing if there was any type of solid foundation that would hold her and keep the floor underneath her, but he couldn’t see. If he got her to the middle he’d find a rope and have her tie it around herself that what if she did fall, she would be safe… but standing there spray legged, wasn’t going to help her and he wanted to see her to safety before he went looking for a rope.

Ok now hurry to the middle!

He said listening as the boards were groaning under his sister’s feet asking to be fed, he growled at the wood telling it that it won’t have his sister if he could help it. Niro lost too much family now, and he wasn’t going to lose Orin. Not today>

[html]
OOC: ©table code and image to jacoby: For orin WC - 410

Her eyes shut tightly as he explained to her what to do. The animal instinct inside of her made her feel like if she just couldn’t see the weakened floor for a moment, she would be okay. Did it suddenly just get colder in here? That could not be, the cold never bothered her before. She felt like her legs would start trembling, and that would do neither of them any good.

She forced her eyes open again and looked at the lamplight in the center. Surely there had been extra support built around it, and Niro had to be right. . . if she could just get over to it. “What if it’s too heavy there?” she worried, then remembered that there was no post running up the middle of the tower. There must have been support beams through the floor and ceiling holding the lamp in place.

Her brother didn’t respond to her fear, and it was probably for the better. He was focused, puzzling out how to get her out of the room safely when she herself did not have the calm to manage it. She looked to him and then back to the center of the room, and worried her paws wouldn’t move!

That was when he shouted, and it was like his voice liberated her legs. She concentrated on the dead-center of the room and lurched forward. Being fast and light on her feet was something Orin could do, and she called upon her unbridled gift now as she soared over the boards. She was just about up against the lamp when a paw came down. . . and didn’t stop. She yelped as she tripped, her hind leg going through the floorboard, but despite her stumble she was able to throw herself forward and keep her body from crashing into one spot and surely busting the insecure support beneath her.

She glanced over her shoulder at the small hole she’d punched in the wood. At one time this had been solid, reliable oak, but now it was little more than cardboard. “Okay. . . I’m this far. . . Now what? I think I can jump it.” Surely if she was able to leap far enough and clear most of the crumbling floor it would be better than not, but if she did not go far enough she may fall through upon landing, and there was certainly no way to manage a running start.

[/html]
[html]

ooc:

WC: 437

Niro bit his lip as he watched his sister race to the middle of the room, his heart stopped for a second as he saw her foot sink through the floorboard, and he nearly came through after her, but she saved herself. It relieved him so much to know she did the right thing,. Thank goodness for instincts. He didn’t know he was holding his breath still until she spoke, saying she could probably jump it.

NO! No! I need you to turn optime, I’m going to find some rope, and we are going to get you across, and if you fall I’ll hold you up, but STAY THERE!

He emphasized the last part because he knew if he didn’t she would try to do something foolish, and even though the stairs were right under the floorboards here, it was still a long way down and she would break something, he didn’t want that. He gave her a stern look before running down the steps, he’d spotted some rope in the first room they entered and hopefully it was still good enough to use. He found it right away, it was small but it was long enough to wrap around both his and his sister’s waists and still have some slack between the room. That’s all he needed, he was breathing really hard when he reached the top again, hoping she’d done what he said to do. He was sure she would, she did listen in situations like these… AFTER she got herself into them. If only she would listen to him BEFORE it happened, then it wouldn’t happen and he wouldn’t get heart attacks as often as he did. Then again… his adventures… wouldn’t be so adventurous. Maybe if it wasn’t so much as accidental naïve adventures, he could go for that nothing like this, must not listen to reason kind of stuff and that was the way Orin was, as he ran up the steps he thought, not for the first time, that if he weren’t around she wouldn’t be around either. Once he got to the top of the steps and into the door way he’d had the rope tied around his waste, he’d checked it by how it felt, and it seemed sturdy enough, he tossed the rope onto the other side to his sister

Here grab that and tie it to your waist

He said, he was doubled over out of breath so he didn’t get the chance to see if she’d changed yet, he was too tired for this now, all the running around and panic was wearing him down now.

[/html]
[html]

WC 518

She began to take a step forward but at Niro’s insistence she halted. She nodded once, but fretted over what he asked her to do. Change? In a situation like this? True, she had been practicing her shifting and had made notable improvement since they arrived in the Court, but she had little faith in her ability to transform as quickly as she needed to in this tense situation. Before she could voice her concerns, Niro made a concise demand and then was off. She shuffled and whined after him, but knew that he was probably right.

Steeling herself against her fears, she closed her eyes and concentrated. She tried to shut out the sound of the insulted sea-birds and the protest of the material beneath her paws. Lowering herself to lay on her stomach, she leaned against the lamplight and concentrated on the salty fresh scent of the ocean, the sound of the waves, and the soft whistling of the wind. . .

Oh, that’s all crap! Her eyes opened and she looked at her paws, bemused. She hadn’t begun to change yet, she knew she hadn’t. A wave of anger washed through her as she realized what rubbish these cliché relaxation techniques really were. What the hell did those humans ever know anyway? Nothing. That’s why they’re dead. That’s why they’re laying in a pile of dust in the quarters beneath her, because they hadn’t the brains to survive!

Perhaps. . . she hadn’t the brains to survive, either.

But they hadn’t survived all that time in the gang-ridden south, or their journey north, for nothing! Certainly Orin did not see this as the end of her days. The possibility of falling through was high, but still it did not feel like she was even close to the end. How melodramatic would that be?

She huffed a determined sigh and closed her eyes again, grimacing against the vein of her own thoughts. There was no but I’m too stressed about it! Her body had to do what she wanted it to do when she wanted! And this was certainly no time to decide she was too lazy.

Her resolution paid off, and when she stopped worrying about it and decided to just do it, the change came much easier than she anticipated.

She was sitting on her rear, back leaning against the light when Niro returned. She let out a sigh of relief. The ordeal of her transformation felt like it had taken forever, and somehow Niro still managed to take longer, he really was a slowpoke! But she knew that wasn’t true, that she only imagined time standing still, and really Niro had returned swifter than many a man would have.

Her excited hands grabbed the rope and quickly she tied a bowline around her waist, and knotted it off three or four more times. Giving it a few hearty tugs, she looked at Niro and nodded. “Okay. I’m ready.” She waited for him to catch his breath, and for the next instruction, though she had a feeling it would be something like, ‘ok, run.’

<style type="text/css">
.orin-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#293412; letter-spacing:1px; }
.orin-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orin-a01{width:400px; background-color:#8F9674; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/orintable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 255px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3D3F29; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

ooc:

WC: Embarrassing

Niro lifted a finger still catching his breath to tell her to wait, he knew how scared his sister was but he needed to be ready and braced for the worst. He didn’t want to have to go through all that trouble just to lose her because he was too tired. He took a few more deep breaths and anchored himself to the door, he looked his sister in the eyes and said;

run like the wind.
He breathed hard waiting for his sister to come running toward him.

[/html]