Different faces [pack thread]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.freeB3 b {font-weight:bold; color:#a2b6ad; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.freeB3 p {padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.freeB3 {width:400px;border:1px solid #a2b6ad;background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... e3-2-1.png);background-position:top center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-top:210px;background-color:#594945;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:Verdana, sans-serif;font-size:10px;line-height:12px;color:#f19953;}
</style>

Dawali's called for a Phoenix Valley pack meeting. This thread will be -very- fast-moving. Jump in at any time; no order required.

For a moment he hesitated, suddenly nervous. It was not from uncertainty in himself; Jefferson had told him what he needed to know, and he did not doubt his abilities. It was just strange, the whole of it; the foreign smells, and undoubtedly the foreign faces that would greet him at his call. He scratched his head a little while similar, fleeting thoughts passed through his head. Finally deciding to ignore such unproductive ideas, he lifted his muzzle in the air and called out with confidence, demanding the immediate attention of the pack's members. They had a right to know what was going on.

The former AniWayan went over his words again, trying to find the best ways of saying what he was going to say. The sub-leader had been informed, Jefferson had said. And he reckoned many of the members here probably knew someone in AniWaya and vice versa, so their reception of him would probably go well; they were allies, after all. At least, this was what he hoped for. Oh, how would they react? He could certainly imagine that reactions in AniWaya would be... mixed. This was all so sudden, and though he had been one to agree on it, he wasn't entirely sure what he thought about it now that he was waiting for the final move to put it all into motion. He almost paced, but stopped himself only to correct his feathers and belt without knowing, all the while looking around himself to look for anyone arriving. He wouldn't know when the right time to speak up would be seeing as he'd suddenly forgotten how many they were (hadn't Jefferson told him? He probably had..), so he'd probably go ahead and spread the news as soon as anyone arrived. That was, if his nervousness didn't get the best of him before then.

Table by Jenny, thanks! Smile
[/html]
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... _table.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Xeris had been on her way back to the cabin when she heard the call. Her ears immediately perked up at the sound of it, knowing that she was needed. But...was that Jefferson's howl? It didn't sound particularly like him. Perhaps someone was at the borders. Curious as always, the white-furred wolfess began to move steadily in the direction of the resonating noise. Naturally, her ever-interested daughter had decided to follow along. Xeris hadn't the faintest idea where her mate or her sons were, and assumed that the three were probably together somewhere. Xion kept up warily with her mother's larger strides, eager to see what was happening.

Upon reaching what seemed to be the source of the howl, Xeris was surprised to find that it was not someone at the borders. It was a male, standing alone in the heart of Phoenix Valley territory. The white female was rather taken aback by him at first; not only was he a complete stranger but he looked much different than anyone she'd ever seen before. Glancing at Xion with her golden eyes as a warning to stay back for the moment, Xeris advanced slowly towards the stranger. "Hello there," she began cautiously, "Was it you who howled just now? I don't believe we've met."
[/html]
Naniko had been away, she was taking her time away and re-thinking things just as Pontiac had done not that long ago. She promised her sister that she would watch over the pups while she was gone. The childless she wolf was not sure if she was able to do such a task she was willing to try. With a sleepy yawn the tan and white marking female blinked her eyes, counting the heads, 1….2…She panicked the third one; Mister Halowe was missing yet again. She gathered her-self up to her feet with a yawn, giving a shake of her head with small laugh, that boy needed someone to watch him and help him get that D’Angelo spirit out of him. Chewing on the inside of her lip the female sniffed around the room….the boy had been gone for a while. Coming out of the room a howl slipped into her tan ears….It wasn’t Jefferson’s but it called for the pack member. Her brows rolled in towards her nose, it wasn’t who she was use to but she had to figure it out. Stepping back in gathering the other two pups she took off with a quick pace towards the howl.
She wasn’t the first one there, Xeris had beaten her there, Pontiac gave her a nod with a confused look on her face as she sat down letting the pups find a place to sit and catch a breath.
word count: 420

Cerridwyn sat on the beach of one of the twin lakes in the center of the territory, watching the sun dance playfully on the water's surface. Here and there a fish splashed, and she smiled, reminded of Xion trying to catch fish at the stream the other day. The weather was finally warming up enough to make such water adventures possible again; speaking of which, she thought, a dip might be nice. She stood, removing her hip bag, and stepped into the glassy water. A little chilly, but not too bad, she thought and waded in up to her chest. She kicked her feet out and floated in her back, coffee eyes watching fluffy clouds pass overhead as peace settled over her and her muscles relaxed, all but her feet kicking gently to keep herself afloat. Shadowy eyelids soon drifted shut as she went into a trance-like state.

The tri-color female was startled out of this state as something brushed against her back, immediately losing the equilibrium allowing her to keep afloat. She went under for a moment, surprised that there was no longer bottom beneath her paws, but resurfaced to find that she had drifted toward the center of the lake. Snorting water out of her nose, she swam lazily back toward shore and soon was walking out of the water. As she wrung her voluminous mane of moisture, a howl echoed through the trees, and her ears perked. It wasn't a howl that she recognized, but that wasn't unusual as she hadn't met over half of the pack. It was, however, confident and demanding, a howl that really only a leader has a right to give -- but it wasn't Jefferson, of that much she was positive. Her brows knitted together and, after giving her tail a swift twist so that it at least wasn't sopping, she shouldered her hip bag, picked up her stang, and began a distance-covering lope toward the origination of the howl.

The saddled hybrid's fur was still damp and sticking out a bit when she arrived, and she smoothed it down as best she could. She nodded at Xeris and Pontiac in greeting, before her eyes fell on the stranger, presumably the one who had howled. He was an interesting figure, at least to her -- his mane was braided in its entirety, and festooned with quite a few more feathers and beads than her own, and his coat was a captivating mixture of browns, greys and reds. "Who're ye?" she asked bluntly.
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.freeB3 {width:400px;border:1px solid #a2b6ad;background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... e3-2-1.png);background-position:top center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-top:210px;background-color:#594945;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:Verdana, sans-serif;font-size:10px;line-height:12px;color:#f19953;}
</style>

Continue to jump in, or post again as you please. This thread will be closed sometime in the next day or so.

He stopped himself from pacing as he watched strange faces arrive, all questioning his presence. He wouldn't blame them; he would have done the same. He searched through his mind, to see if he had perhaps met any of them, or at least seen them, but no; there was nothing. Perhaps he should have spoken to Geneva... Ah, well, he hadn't, so that was that. He didn't feel as if he could wait any further; he could always repeat the message after others arrived. Clearing his throat first, he spoke up. Though he was nervous, no trace of it could be found in his voice; it was as authoritative and dominant as ever. "I've called you to let you know of a change in leadership," he said, unsure how to phrase his message, especially when he did not know these wolves. Looking at them, he continued. "Jefferson has decided to make use of our alliance, and has sought peace from the threat of the war, in AniWaya. In order not to leave this pack without a leader, I have traveled here to take his place, and he will take mine in the tribe." He glanced at each of them now, wondering how they would take these news. "In other words, I am your new Patriarch, and I hope that you will accept me as such." It was all he had to say.

[/html]
Cerridwyn could do nothing but blink as the befeathered wolf spoke. Change in leadership? Jefferson seeking peace from the war? It made no sense. Of course, the world was full of things that made no sense to the backwater canine (books, for example), but those were things that weren't supposed to make sense. Things like this, she thought, were supposed to have some sort of logic. For example, why hadn't Jefferson called a pack meeting before he left? And what kind of shelter could AniWaya provide from the war, considering that both packs weren't really directly involved anyway? And although she didn't know Jefferson all that well, it seemed out of character for the gruff wolf who had greeted her at the borders to run, tail tucked, to another packland. And if Jefferson had done such a thing, the pack wouldn't be leaderless -- wouldn't it be Geneva's position to step up? Speaking of which, where was she? Shouldn't the Savant be present for something like this? The whole thing was just downright suspicious, and this bothered the newly promoted Tueris.

Her brows furrowed together, arms crossing in frustration. It seemed all these questions were fighting for a way to get out, all at once, and she began to get annoyed, old, spoiled thoughts rising. She caught herself two seconds from becoming downright haughty, and allowed herself to say only: "I dun understan'. It dun make sense -- an' you ne'er tol' us yer name.
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... _table.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
It was not long before others began to arrive; Xeris passed a respectful glance and nod to both Pontiac and Cerridwyn. She quickly focused her attention on the unfamiliar, feather-maned wolf again, however, as he began to speak. A...change in leadership? What could that mean? As the unfamiliar wolf continued to explain, Xeris couldn't help but stare at him in almost shock. Jefferson was gone? That was certainly unexpected. It would certainly be quite a different place without the one-eyed, scarred former Patriarch in charge. She looked over the man before her once more; he somehow had an air of both kindness and firm leadership about him. And if this was someone that Jefferson had approved, he surely would be a good choice for leadership.

Xeris tried her best to keep her composure and not seem completely bewildered. She could feel Xion nudging at her leg, surely to ask what was going on. But for now, she continued to place her attention on the new leader. Realizing that it would probably be best to show him some respect, she bowed her head courteously to him before speaking. "While I cannot say that I know much about AniWaya or the current situation, I feel sure that we will be in good hands, sir. Thank you for taking on the duty of our leadership." As Cerridwyn had pointed out, the new Valley leader's name still hadn't been brought up, so Xeris decided to refrain from further questions until he had introduced himself.

This was certainly an interesting turn of events.
[/html]
Anya glanced around, looking at the few pack members who had gathered. She had been traveling yet again, following the birds and their stories. What they had said would be something to tell Xeris of when she had the chance, but now was certainly not that opportune moment. Her nostrils flared as Anya took in the scent of the wolf standing where Jefferson should have been.

"And why did he think that you would be qualified to take his place?"
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

Continue to jump in, or post again as you please. This thread will be closed sometime in the next day or so.

Only one of those that stood before him gave support to this idea. Dawali blushed furiously when one of them reminded him that he had not spoken his name. How could he forget that?! Luckily, his red furs covered for him again, and the blush would not be visible to the others. This was a good thing, for he could not lose more face than he had now. Two of them were outright hostile towards him, though not to the extent where he believed they would be violent. It was strange, though, for their loyalty warmed him a little, and he wondered if a similar scene took place in AniWaya, as Jefferson introduced himself as their new Kalona. Undoubtedly, the two would work together for a while, helping each other with problems of various kinds. Earlier, Dawali had laughed at the thought of Jefferson leading the spring ceremony. He did not laugh now, though. Could the not smell Jefferson on him? Well; Jefferson's scent was everywhere, here. He didn't blame them, even if it made him nervous. "Ah, I'm terribly sorry. I'm Dawali Tsugi Amara, though I go by just Dawali." He flung his arms out to his sides in an apologetic manner, trying to ease the ones that were uncertain about the whole ordeal. "This is sudden, I know. It is a joint decision by me and Jefferson; you can travel to AniWaya and speak with him yourself, if you have doubts. I am your new Patriarch now, as Geneva will confirm. Given the situation this was the best solution, but I know; It is a big change for all of us." He stood silent again now, waiting for their reaction, hoping that the suspicious ones would let it be and just accept this. It would not go away, no matter how long one fought accepting it.

[/html]
OOC: I'll hop in for a bit.

Pendzez was with his son Carwyn. The two were out for a little walk. Delwyn was somewhere, maybe again he wondered off from the cabin. Pendzez has told that pup about wondering off. Ty was there last time, he kept an eye on the energetic little Zazkex. However, even if it was Phoenix Valley member, it doesn't mean that the pup can just wonder off. Maybe, with any luck, they'll come upon Delwyn, this time he'll have to be with his father at all times or his mother.

Carwyn followed after his father, sniffing out for his brother. He didn't really like it when Delwyn wonders off. If his brother was gonna walk off, then he was going to as well. "Daddy, whys does Delwyn walk off. I gets worried 'bout hims"

"Because, he's a naughty boy. Don't you do the same as him. He then heard a howl on the wind. It was a different voice and it seemed to be coming from the normal pack meeting area. It wasn't Jefferson, nor Geneva. He wondered to the source, with Carwyn following him. Finding a small group, Xeris and Pontiac was part of the small cluster. There, there was a different male, but he was familiar. Wasn't he the chief of AniWaya? "Hello, what's this? Wait, aren't you the AniWayan chief?" Carwyn then ran for his mother. "Mummy! Xion!" He sought refuge between his mother's legs, next to Xion. "Whos the bird wolf, Mummy?"
ooc: This is new.

The absence of one wanderer was rarely noted as important, nor had she expected such a change in her leave again from the Valley. Advice from Jefferson had not completely fallen to deaf ears, but it was the matter of searching that kept her from wandering into the Valley’s midst again.

But what a return she was met with. A voice, familiar but distant in her mind lead her from the seclusion of her poorly constructed den to some common of the land. A gathering had taken place and was already in the midst of attending to their matters. Russet ears perked forward attentively as she drew near upon four legs instead of two. The extra burst of speed needed to close the distance and gather what she could of the announcement.

Her notations were simple; Jefferson was gone and the tribal chief Dawali had taken his place. By the gods what called for this decision?! It was nothing short of surprising, a decision brought forth by fate, she would say. Certainly this transition would save her the trouble of needing to travel beyond borders again to seek an obsession. And internally, she smiled to this. Sauntering a ways to stand amongst the growing pack and taking a solitary stance Zynex stood in silence and listened to the rebuttal of the mass.
word conut: 491

Cerridwyn nodded as a grey female arrived at the meeting, listening for a moment before stepping up and asking what this new wolf's qualifications were. The priestess thought that this was a rather unnecessary question; obviously this stranger was qualified to lead, if he was indeed the leader of AniWaya. Still, it did not escape her notice that, when the rusty man replied, he did not answer this question, though he did finally give his name.

She was still frustrated, her questions still unanswered. Okay, it was a joint decision between himself and Jefferson. That was fine, though it still bothered her that Jefferson would run like this. She let out an audibly exasperated sigh. "Tha's all well 'n good," she said, managing not to sound whiny. Haughtiness was beginning to creep into the hybrid's lilted tones, though. "We b'lieve you, I think, a' least I do -- 'm not questionin' yer sincer'ty. It still jus' dun make sense, though." She began to voice some of her questions, though not with the frequency at which they occured in her mind -- she was reminded of Delwyn, sputtering off questions before the one being interrogated could even begin to answer. "Wha' exactly is goin' on? You said tha' Jefferson 'sough' peace from th' war' bu' I dun un'erstan' why 's more peaceful in AniWaya than 'ere. Neither pack is direc'ly involved. P'raps ye can enlighten me t'that. I dun un'erstan' why Jefferson din't call a meetin' 'imself, seems it woulda made things go a tick smoother. An' I dun un'erstan' why Geneva en't 'ere, either, an' why none of us 'as 'eard ennethin' about this til now."

She studied the shamanistic figure of Dawali, and did kind of feel sorry for him. He had probably expected this to go a lot more smoothly, but you couldn't just waltz in unannounced and state you were taking over a pack, especially when many of the members had no idea who you were. She was honestly surprised, and a little disappointed, that it was only herself and one other protesting this. The other pack members, still arriving in ones and twos, remained silent. Was this the pack she was calling home now? If she and the other female hadn't been there, would they have silently allowed this wolf to come in and take over, no questions asked? "I'm sure yer a good leader an' all, bu' ye've go' t'un'erstan' where we're comin' from 'ere. We're all goin' 'bout our daily lives, lalala, an' suddenly ye show up, an' wait, yer alpha 'as run off to another pack, an' none o'ye know me bu' I'm gonna come in an' take o'er now, wi'out explainin' exactly wot's goin on? Nae, tha' dun work for me, Dawali, an' I expect there at least one'r two others 'ere who it dun work fer, neither. I'll be willin' t'accpet ye as me Patriarch, but I wan' answers b'fore I do."
[html]
Better late than never Smile!

The light gray colored Savant muttered uncharacteristic curses under her breath as she hurried toward the gathering. She had heard the howl, but she had not immediately answered it. It was not because she did not respect the source of the call. As usual, the woman had been lost in her thoughts. And her thoughts had centered around her absent mate, undoubtedly the reason that the meeting had been called in the first place. Still, it had been hard to rouse herself from her thoughts, even as that thread of logic wound its way through her mind.

Put simply, Geneva missed the grizzled, one-eyed Patriarch with a ferocity she had not expected. Geneva was a quiet, tempered soul. She was usually balanced, but Jefferson's absence from Phoenix Valley had truly thrown her for a loop. She did not usually act foolish, she liked to believe, but for the last few days, since he had informed her of his decision, she had been somewhat reclusive. Geneva had tried to argue with Jefferson over this, but she had respected his decision in the end.

As Geneva neared her gathered brethren, she brushed past Zynex. She murmured an apology for the brief contact. Zynex, like Jefferson, could be reclusive and withdrawn. Like as not, the Tundra-bred woman still sat apart from the rest of the gathering. A small smile touched the Savant's maw - at least some things stayed the same.

Geneva noted some unfamiliar faces among those gathered. She had vague recollections of seeing them in passing. Truly, Geneva had been out of touch for some time. The veil of her thoughts did not keep her separated from her pack most of the time - her duties, usually. But she would have to put her thought-filled wanderings to an end for a while, at least until the ex-Kalona got his bearings.

She took her place at Dawali's side, shooting him an apologetic smile as she settled beside him. Her heart ached dimly as she thought of the times she had stood beside Jefferson in the same manner. Still, she did not hold any of this against Dawali. He had proven to be a good, responsible ally. He had been a leader beside Ember in AniWaya, and she held the black wolfess - her friend of long acquaintance - in high esteem. She gave a voice to her thoughts, hoping to leave her packmates with the same feelings of ease.

"Dawali speaks the truth," Geneva said, taking a care to project her usually whisper soft voice. Her gentle tones rang out like a bell now, as she spoke with the authority of her position in the pack. "AniWaya is indeed a good, reliable ally. We are lucky to have someone like Dawali among us, with experience and goodwill." Geneva cleared her throat a bit and then continued. "I would trust him with my life, and I would entrust him with your lives as well. And that is something neither Jefferson or me would take lightly." Her last words gave credence to the happenings here, as well as the joint-decision that the two leaders had made together. Geneva spoke with emotion clearly evident in her words and features - whether or not she had made the acquaintance of all gathered here, she cared deeply for each one, and she would do everything in her power to safeguard them from harm. She hoped they knew as much. [/html]

[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

Closing the thread now, within tomorrow (April 5th)

He saw the lack of logic in their decision. He had expected it, but perhaps he had not expected the resistance to take this form. He had not expected his own foolishness in not waiting for Geneva. Truly, this was the one thing that could have changed his reception totally, as one of these stranger's faces pointed out. Before he could answer to the completely appropriate speech offered by one of the individuals in front of him, Geneva entered the scene in a rush. He smiled at her, both in relief and as a general greeting, though hopefully his face would not give away the former feeling. She did march in as a savior, however, and he remained silent as she took position next to him and gave her take on things. He looked downwards humbly as she praised both him and the alliance between the two packs. He gave her a pause after before he, too, spoke. Geneva had not heard the questions presented by the one individual here, the one that expressed the most confusion, and so he would attempt to elaborate. "While it's not less safe in either pack per se, AniWaya is a good deal further away from the heat than Phoenix Valley. The reason I called the meeting without Geneva here is my foolishness; I should have known that her presence would have soothed you and justified my words. And lastly, the reason it seems very swift is because it was just that; it was very sudden, and we traded places in a hurry. This is why Jefferson did not announce it before leaving, and why Jefferson probably faces a similar situation in AniWaya right now." He paused and gave a smile, hands stopping mid-air as they had been moving in non-particular patterns to emphasize his words. The pause turned into a final end pause, and he decided to say nothing more. Hopefully, it would be answers they craved.

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... clover.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top;">

ooc:

She relished in the voices of her comrades, one more so being that of the Collie apparent female who spoke boldly to the supposed Alpha of the Valley wolves. There was nothing short of intrigue in the silver orbs of the dame. Her ears turned acutely to the unfamiliar female, eagerly adhering to her words. What a point this female was making, taking the side that so few wished to voice. It was quite inspiring, but not the place for Zyn to let her voice be heard either. She instead remained the silent statue, gradually transforming from her quad form.

A brief touch turned the female’s head from the audience to that of the Alphess, the sub-leader of this pack. Her word of apology was met with a gentle nod, no harm taken to the invasive touch but the russet inched further back all the same. Her morph nigh completion, she reduced her stance to the ground, the voice of Geneva reached her ears and she waited until her limbs settled and the awkward shift of muscle and bone ceased.

And again Dawali’s voice dominated the air and again Zynex listened, perhaps more intently than she would have any other, and as always was enthralled. She could no longer keep to herself. “If Jefferson felt this was the better decision…to leave us to your abilities,” finally the female regained the ground on two feet, habitually taking hold of a crimson lock to abate her anxieties. “Then what reason do we have to doubt you? If he felt you were incapable, surely he would have left us with some kind of warning. Rush or not,“ her eye drew from the Alpha to the gathered lot, “is there suspicion in the pack that Jefferson would have left us in incapable hands?” How shameful.

Taking a bold stance, a proclamation of her allegiance, she mowed through the crowd toward the Queen. Proximity still presented itself at a distance, but it was enough to indicate her favorable position to this alteration in power…at least exhibit her support. The female dipped her head cordially, eyes averted under sight of Geneva. “If you hold faith in this male and would entrust your life to him, what reason is there to go against your word? Your word carries the same merit as Jefferson himself, and it is a word I have come to respect.” She offered what could have been called a smile, further humbling herself before the Savant then just the same, turned to Dawali. “As I have come to respect Jefferson, so shall I come to respect you, sire. It is my hope the Valley will be favorable to you…”

I'm thinking about something... Be quiet when I talk. I'm just wandering
[/html]
word count: 402

Cerridwyn adopted a slight thrust to one hip, settling her weight on one leg, ivory arms remaining crossed. She had meant what she'd said; she did believe Dawali, he seemed quite sincere. She also believed him capable, she had no doubts about that. But she wasn't giving up the argument until she got some answers. Before the rust colored wolf had time to reply, a silvery form padded quietly into the group, heading straight for Dawali and taking a place beside him. Cerridwyn had not personally met the Savant, but this was obviously her. She reaffirmed the validity of the male's claims. This is all well and good, the tri-color thought, But how many times am I going to have to reiterate that I believe him already? I just want answers.

Thankfully she didn't have to reiterate anything, for Dawali, most likely relieved though he showed no such emotion that Geneva had arrived (Cerridwyn knew she would have been, in his position), answered each and every question she had posed, one by one. She relaxed her defensive stance, letting her arms fall to her sides. The whole thing still didn't sit well with her, but that wasn't Dawali's fault; it wasn't the former AniWaya chief the priestess took issue with, it was Jefferson leaving so suddenly, and for such a flimsy excuse as the get away from the heat of the war. But Dawali and Geneva both seemed quite truthful; if she had a problem with Jefferson's reason, she could take it up with him.

A red wolfess spoke up before Cerridwyn had the chance, as soon as the new Patriarch finished his answers. The hybrid all but rolled her eyes -- she wanted to, so badly that her eyelid began to twitch a little, but somehow managed to refrain -- as the unknown female inquired of suspicions that Jefferson might have left them in less than capable hand. "I ne'er said 'e weren' capable," she commented. "In fact, I b'lieve I said jus' the opposite."

She turned her earth-colored eyes to the leading pair of the pack, dipping her head in respect before speaking. "Thank ye, Dawali, fer answerin' m'questions. As I said b'fore, I got no issue wi' acceptin' ye as Patriarch now tha's out th' way." Her eyes flicked to Geneva. "It is an honor t'meet ye, by the way, Geneva, we ha'n't as o' yet. M'name'll be Cerridwyn."