Lend me your ear and I'll sing you a song
[html]
Dinner tiemmm! Now I'm heading to work ;D

It had been a week or two since she had met Yumiko, but she had not forgotten the arrangement that the other female had made with her. Ember didn't have many friends in general, normally keeping to herself and keeping very busy with the tribe duties and with her own warrior duties that came with her rank...so this was a big event for her. She had Tayui and Hemming here in the tribe, but it wasn't often that she made a new friend. This woulds be a good opportunity for that. Yumiko had said for her to bring others with her if she wished to, and she had asked young Lotus if he might like to come with her to have dinner. Some more socializing would do him good, she thought.

Ember wasn't too bad of a hunter, and had bagged three rabbits over the last few days. She had kept them in the very back room in her spacious den, deep inside of a hole in the ground, to keep them tasting fresh for this day. The rabbits were tied together by their feet with a rope, the rope slung over the warrior's back as she walked down the river toward the area that she remembered Yumiko's den to be. She spoke to Lotus as she walked, looking up at the sky. "It's a nice day out isn't it, Kiddo"

[/html]
[html]
Table by Frost.

OOC: 351 words; sorry for shortness and wait

Lotus actually managed to do some socializing on his own. He had actually met this Yumiko before. Her and another wolf. It had been some time since then though. It had been a bit since he had met others, spending his time exploring the land instead. Actually it had always been during his explorations that he had found others. Only once had he ever actively searched out someone and that had been his Daddy. Or at least the wolf that he still thought of as Daddy. Sure, he had a warped sense of perception and it grew increasingly worse. Those he called family really weren’t. Even the image of himself was skewed. But these things were what made Lotus what he was. They made him the loveable and cute pup that he was. And who would have him any other way?

Currently Lotus was too young to do the hunting on his own but he was eager to learn. Just like he wanted to walk like his Mommy was walking now. The way that everyone seemed to walk. But again he was only told that he was too young to do such things. It really wasn’t fair and he couldn’t wait to get older. Couldn’t wait to get big enough to do what everyone else was doing. And what a day that would be. A time when he could make his Mommy really proud of him. He wanted to show her what a big girl he was. That he could manage things on his own without help. Even at a young age he favored himself to be independent.

The pup tilted his head to look up at the older wolf as she talked to him, walking along at her side. “Will the snow come back Mommy? It was pretty and fun when there was snow. What will I play in now?” The only thing he knew of was winter so he couldn’t exactly understand the appeal to the change of seasons that others had. He missed his snow. He missed making his angels. But now he couldn’t make his angels anymore.

[/html]
[html]

She had a few winters under her belt. Ember wouldn't say that she was as experienced as, say, Dawali, but she knew what she was doing and what it took to survive winters in these lands. Compared to Dawali she was probably pretty young, in fact. She had never asked him how old he was. That didn't really matter to her, though. In any case, though, Dawali wasn't interested in her. She was trying her hardest to ignore him as much as she could and to not run into him unless she had to, for now. It would take her a little while longer to get over her feelings.

"I'm not sure if we'll have any more snow this season, Sweet, but there are plenty of things ta do in the spring. It's when all the baby animals come out. Bugs, too. I used to have a lot of fun playin' with bugs. And you'll have the river and ponds ta play in once they thaw" She said, nodding to him. He was a pup...she felt sure that he would find something to do. Pups always did. "You can make some new friends, too, maybe. I'm real glad you wanted to come with me to see Yumiko" She then looked ahead. They were very close to the area that she remembered the female's den to be...and aha! There it was.

[/html]
[html]
Table by Frost.

OOC: 397 words

Well then Lotus had slipped up. Unknowingly he had told Dawali of Ember’s feelings for him. Not that he had known of Ember’s feelings really being there. Instead he was trying to express why whom he assumed was his Daddy should be staying with his Mommy. He just said something to try and convince the other that they should all be living together. That families should share a single home. He didn’t imagine that Ember might have already hinted at feelings already being there. The pup had just been guessing at things when he had said that Mommy missed having Daddy at home. He just assumed that the Daddy would be missed. He had no idea that he could have been potentially opening a whole new can of worms for his Mommy. Especially if his Daddy decided to bring it up at some point.

The pup perked up at the mention of baby animals. “Where are the babies? I want to play with the babies! Do you think there will be more puppies too? I think you and Daddy should have more puppies and then I can have a baby sister or brother.” At least Lotus hadn’t bothered to mention that much to Dawali. At least Ember would be saved that embarrassment. But could the pup really be blamed for not really knowing any better? It wasn’t like he was trying to get Ember in trouble. Instead he just spoke what was on his mind, like any child might do. He would just have to learn how to bite his tongue as he grew older. That some things weren’t appropriate to say. Not that he was using naughty words or phrases or anything. He just said the wrong things under the wrong circumstances. But surely he can be forgiven for it.

“Hey! I remember this place!” He had seen it when Yumiko had first started working on it. Eagerly the pup ran forwards. And seeming to forget his manners the pup dashed straight into the den.
“Did you find the fur?” The words were obviously meant for the occupant that was assumed to be inside. After all Yumiko had told him that she would look for some since she didn’t seem to want snow. So of course he was curious to see what had been found. If she had really listened to him and had gotten furs.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry about the wait, some stuff came up in RL >>;

Word Count: 558

Yumiko had spent the entire day cleaning up and preparing for her guests that would be arriving any minute. She had managed to hunt down a pair of squirrels which weren't very big but were very tangy on the tongue. She should really have started hunting days earlier, but she didn't yet have anywhere safe to store the food where it wouldn't spoil. As a replacement she had spent the afternoon using her extensive knowledge of plants to forage for some edible ones. A handful of carrots, some parsley, and a bucket of flavourful mushrooms were on the menu. She hadn't cooked anything yet because, in all honesty, she had forgotten to ask whether her guests enjoyed their food raw or not. Some did, some didn't. Yumiko personally preferred the browned variety of edibles, but was tolerant either way.

As she wiped off her hands and the small blade she had bartered for in the village of the squirrel blood, she laid the skins aside gently for her collection. It was starting to grow. Four rabbits, a small pile of feathers, and now two squirrels. Sure, they all had teeth marks in them, but she wasn't skilled enough with a weapon to hunt any other way. Who cared about the state of her bed besides herself, anyway.

Yumiko placed the knife onto her shelf and scooped the meat that was now ready for eating (or cooking) into a bowl, rather than the stone now littered with nasty bits. She wasn't very skilled with the knife, so the meat was a little bit hacked up, but meat was meat, even if it wasn't very pretty. The bowl went on the shelf below the knife, along side the bucket of mushrooms and other plants. Dinner seemed pretty plentiful already.

She went outside and took her bucket down to the river, filling it full of the cool, clear liquid after washing the remains of blood from her hands. She really, really, really despised being dirty. Humming as she cleaned she finished quickly, put the bucket back on it's branch sticking out of her little log fence, and headed back indoors. Her timing couldn't have been better, because as soon as she started obsessively sweeping the floors with a pine branch for the tenth time a little voice shouted through the cave right inside the entrance.

A gentle grin stretching her face, she put the branch down and dropped to a crouch a she spun to face her first little guest. It was Lotus, the pup she'd met a month or so ago and who happened to be related to her other friend, Ember. Some coincidence, eh?

"Hey, Lotus! You seem excited!" Not that Yumiko could talk, with her tail wagging and eyes gleaming in anticpation of some real social interaction with people who were more than just strangers. She reached around behind her and blindly picked up one of the older rabbit furs. "Of course I did. Your idea was brilliant, after all. Would you like to feel?" she asked, holding the fur out at head level for the boy. She always had a soft spot for pups, and it was really starting to shine through. Tonight would certainly be interesting.

"Hey Ember," she called out the hole to the mother who couldn't be far behind. "Glad you guys could come!"

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
.Yumiko002 b {font-weight:bold; color:#767295; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Yumiko002ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#767295; text-align:left;}
.Yumiko002 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Yumiko002 {margin:0 auto; width:339px; background-color:#c6d596; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... iko002.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #767295; padding: 195px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#676a31; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

"All the babies are around somewhere. Their parents are protectin' em, just like I protect you when you get too deep into trouble. So you gotta look hard to find the babies. And as for me...daddy and I are still apart. So I don't think there will be any puppies any time soon. I'll remember that, though, that you want siblings." She said seriously. After having Lotus by her side, she was very interested in having more pups someday. It hadn't been a possibility for her before, when she had been afraid of pups, but now she found herself thinking more and more about it.

She didn't remember if Lotus had told her that he'd met Yumiko or not, but was pleased to find that he had met her before. Ember liked the idea of him being social and meeting the tribesmembers; he could never have too many wolves looking out for him. She tried not to worry too much about him, though, usually. She came to the entrance of the den after Lotus ran inside of it, peering down into it. She was a rather large wolf, but it seemed that she would fit too. When a greeting was directed her way she began to come down as well. "Hiya, Yumiko. We brought supper! You've met Lotus before, I take it?"

<style type="text/css">
.ember1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#990000; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ember1ooc {font-style:italic; color:#990000; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.ember1 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.ember1 {margin:0 auto; width:415px; background-color:#8D4794; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... ember1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #09000B; padding: 0px 0px 170px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2D0531; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
table by lin
[/html]
[html]
Table by Frost.

OOC: 543 words; Sorry, life had been hectic

“Do you think we could go out looking for them later?” Lotus was actually curious as to what these babies looked like. Were they like him? Could they walk like his Mommy did or did they walk like him? He didn’t know and it would take finding the babies and seeing them in order to find out. “You should go to Daddy and tell him he has to come home. He has been away too long.” Right, like Lotus was in any position to give relationship advice. But everyone else had two parents living together so why couldn’t he? Of course even that was a misconception. “Hey Mommy, do you think there will be more puppies to play with? I haven’t seen any puppies.” He couldn’t be the only pup in the tribe now could he? But that seemed to be the case. The only pup that he had met didn’t live within AniWaya. Still, that didn’t mean that there wasn’t any. Their Mommies could just be hiding them like his Mommy said the animals were doing with their babies. Maybe his Mommy knew about them and could point them out to him.

After arriving at Yumiko’s home he hadn’t thought about manners at all. He had been rather excited to see the older wolf again and see what she had done with the place that he had only caught a glimpse of before. It was certainly a lot nicer now. But then again the blonde wolf had turned the place into an actual home. Though he had to say that he liked the one with Ember the best. But then again all of his toys were there. Of course he would like the place where Velvet was at. It was a surprise that the boy wasn’t toting the bunny around with him now. He laughed and his tail wagged happily at the other’s words. “Yeah, I get to see your house now.” It was such a simple statement but pretty much summed up everything that he felt. He was a curious little tyke after all.

The boy grinned as his idea was praised. Who would think that any would listen to the ramblings of a pup? So for his ideas to have been put into play made him feel special. As the fur was held out to him he rubbed his head against it. “This almost feels like Velvet but Velvet is softer.” Not that Yumiko would know who Velvet was. But his Mommy did. Actually it was his Mommy that had named her. “Mommy! Come feel!” He called out towards the entrance where he had left Ember behind. But it wasn’t like he had run off into a dangerous place so it shouldn’t cause too much of a worry. Not when they were to eat here after all.

“She did. You were busy with leader stuff. I told her fur was soft and she got fur just like I said.” He ran through a brief overview of the encounter. Or at least the part that highlighted himself and why the fur was so important. At least he thought the fur to be important. He did just want to make his Mommy proud after all. Wasn’t that just what every child wanted?

[/html]
[html]

Oh, I missed the post Tongue

Word Count: 317

Yumiko grinned from her crouch and raised a hand in greeting as Ember's pierced snout appeared through the enterance. It seemed she was a little too large for the cave, something the blonde wolf had never even considered. Perhaps they would eat outside? Spotting the rabbits, her grin widen. "Wow, perfect! I couldn't catch too much myself, so thanks for bringing some more food." Turning to Lotus, she gave him a gentle pat on the head, saying, "Your mom is a good hunter, eh?"

Vel....vet? Was that some type of rodent? The female cocked her head, inquisitve, but before she could ask what a velvet was, Lotus stopped enjoying the furs and beckoned his mother closer. Yumiko winked to the other female, entertained by the young pup's antics. He really was young at heart, even for his age. Adorable. Placing the furs back where they belonged, she brushed off her knees and got to her feet to talk more easily with Ember. Sure, she had no problem bending down for Lotus, but it was painful after a while and she had more preparing to do.

"Yes, your son was very helpful. These furs were a good investment," she said, eyes twinkling down at the pup in question. "So, how have things been?" she asked Ember pleasantly, going into menial conversation mode. Before she got any further however, an important issue came to mind.

Scratching an arm absently and flicking one ear back, she looked from one friend to the other and back again. "Um, it completely slipped my mind to ask you guys before... do you like your food cooked or raw? Because I haven't done any cooking yet, and don't want to leave it too late." So many wolves, so many tastes. Yumiko couldn't help but wonder if the creatures that had left behind the towering ruins everywhere had the same problem. It was truely inconvinient.

"Talk." Walk. Think.

<style type="text/css">
.Yumiko002 b {font-weight:bold; color:#767295; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Yumiko002ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#767295; text-align:left;}
.Yumiko002 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Yumiko002 {margin:0 auto; width:339px; background-color:#c6d596; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... iko002.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #767295; padding: 195px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#676a31; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

FYI, the 'son' was totally on purpose <3
[html]

"Ooooh, I see. I'm glad that you were making good friends--I've met Yumiko before too, and she seems real nice to me" Ember said, nodding to the other female, tail wagging slowly back and forth. She reached a paw in to feel the fur at her child's request. She often did what he asked, things that she probably wouldn't do for anyone else. She picked things up, put things down, followed him around, had him follow her...little things like that. Ember was a fairly stubborn woman, though.

Ember had managed to get out of answering Lotus' questions about "daddy" and other puppies. She did want to have children, she had decided, but she would wait until she was sure about whoever would be the father. He would have to be kind, gentle, and most of all understanding...she already had a child that she was caring for, and he would come first to her.

"Velvet is his stuffed rabbit" She interjected, smiling. Ember had brought him back the box of toys from the city with the hopes that he would find something in it that he would like...and he had. It had been a long, tiring trip, but the moment she'd seen that smile on his face it had all been worth it. "And things have been going really good. I'm happy that summer is coming--I hope to teach her some things about hunting and fishing soon. She likes to learn things like that." She wondered if Yumiko had heard Lotus explain that he was a girl and if her misuse of the word "son" had been an accident. She watched Lotus, too, having given reassurance that she knew that he was a girl, unsure of what his reaction would be.

<style type="text/css">
.ember2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#6F63BA; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ember2ooc {font-style:italic; color:#6F63BA; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.ember2 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.ember2 {margin:0 auto; width:394px; background-color:#E9D7CE; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... ember3.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #6B2474; padding: 0px 0px 235px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#BB75A2; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
table by lin
[/html]
[html]
Table by Frost.

OOC: 523 words

Lotus nodded his head as he was questioned. “She is. She’s the best. She always brings home lots of good stuff to eat.” But then again the pup thought his mom was the best at absolutely everything. There was nothing that his Mommy could do wrong. Of course this was entirely his biased opinion. But that was just to the degree that he loved and admired his Mommy. But what child didn’t look up to their parents? What child didn’t think that their parents were the greatest in the world? Lotus wasn’t that different from any other child.

“I think she is really nice too Mommy.” Lotus had enjoyed the small amount of time that he had spent with Yumiko while the other had been working on her den. He had even added in his own small bit of help with his suggestion. And now he got to see the product of his suggestion. That he had actually been a big help when he had only been musing at the time being. He had only been naming off soft things at the time. After all that is what she had been asking for. He had simply supplied an answer for her.

He smiled and nodded his head as his Mommy explained who Velvet was. “Velvet is really pretty and soft but she is sleeping right now so I had to leave her home. Mommy brought her home for me. Velvet likes to cuddle and snuggle every night.” Oh yes, he treated his stuffed bunny as if she were real. He talked to her and she talked to him, at least in his own mind. But that was just normal behavior for a child. It was someone for him to play with since there was no one else in the tribe that was his age. After all sometimes the adults were just too busy to listen to him and to dote upon him. Velvet was the solution for all of that.

“Not a boy!” He pouted, looking up at his Mommy for reassurance and back up. He didn’t understand why he had to continue to explain the exact same thing over and over to everyone. Lotus wasn’t a boy’s name. It was a girl’s name. The boy got up and moved to sit down behind Ember, leaning his head against her leg. He didn’t understand why everyone always got that simple little tidbit wrong all of the time. Though it had clearly squashed his good mood. Why was his Mommy the only one able to tell the difference? What was wrong with all of these others? But at least he had his Mommy that he could trust. At least his Mommy knew the truth. Still it bothered him that everyone else had such a hard time with something as simple as gender. Why was their first assumption that he was always a boy? Would he always have to explain himself to everyone? Maybe when he got older things would be better. After all he wanted to grow up to be as pretty as his Mommy. He couldn’t do that if he was a boy.

[/html]