but your fears ain't no strangers for me
[html]
You can see her whenever it rains
___ Kansas!

From Rome to New Orleans dancing on the graves
___ She was unsure as to why she was here again, though, there did not seem to be any reason as to why she shouldn't be here (well, aside from pack politics, that was). It was curious how even she was unsure of her motive for venturing this far from her own pack, though, she tried not to let it bother her. She had taken her time, meandering from her own pack, across the Yawrah where she had enjoyed a quick dip in the water, taking her time to make her way through the unclaimed territory as her fur had dried. The entire day had proceeded in an unplanned manner, with Tayui deciding, on a whim, to go out and do something. She had spent so much time recently staying in Jaded Shadows and remaining where the pack members could more easily find her, but today, she had decided on a whim to visit somewhere else, anywhere.

___ Presently, she was jogging at a comfortable pace, keeping with the the quietly bubbling stream that led into Storm. The day was still young, with the sun hanging just out of arm's reach in the sky, and the rays of light filtering through the occasional tree. It was a rather warm day considering the time of month, and although it was technically Autumn, it was nice enough to be able to admire the trees without noticing the nip and sting of the wind. Instead of the tendrils of the air picking at her fur, it moved softly and slowly, almost perceptibly. The slight breeze made the trees move, casting shadows and light across the land. Tayui inhaled slowly, closing her eyes briefly, opening them again to admire the lands. It was nothing short of beautiful.
[/html]
[html]

_____ Kansas was steadily spending more and more time out of the den, where, from the time of his birth, he’d been sleeping quite a bit. It seemed that all of his siblings and he liked to sleep – but, he’d been told, this was because he was a child, and that was what children did. He couldn’t wait for the time that he’d be more energetic, and could spend hours on end playing with Firefly, or perhaps Ember and Icarus. True, he was more soft-spoken than any of his siblings; and usually in their tussles, he came out last. But he didn’t mind. He still loved a good frolic, and the more time he could spend doing so, the better.

_____ Since awakening that morning, he’d been debating how to spend it before the time of his afternoon nap came about. His siblings were sleeping in, and he clambered over them to exit the den. It was a bit frightening to be alone again, but he didn’t plan on going as far as the Yawrah – perhaps just a quick jaunt around his home, poking through the places he’d not examined fully yet. The sun was hot on his back in the places it struck most through the leaves of Storm’s abundant trees – today was unusually warm. That was definitely fine with him. He suddenly heard the crashing of bushes, soft enough so that he recognized the steps as belonging to an adult. Soon enough, an alabaster form came into view, shifted and quite beautiful.

_____ He studied her, entranced by her bicolor eyes, and just, simply, by her. He continued to stare as she approached, offering a soft greeting when she was near enough to hear. “Hewo. Who’re yous?

[/html]
[html]

___ Softly, sweetly, she walked closer to the border, gazing at the strange scenery and examining the sights. She could spend quite some time just watching and looking, just living. Again, that quiet feeling of serenity encased her as she moved, placing one clawed hand on the bark of a tree. It was rough and brittle to the touch, but nature was anything but. It was constantly changing and moving, flexible and vastly powerful. If there was anything to be awed by, it was not the towering buildings of the old or a new invention. It was everything you were, and everything around you. Tayui felt something indistinguishable well up in her chest, a great, profound happiness of being alive that was more wonderful than eternal ecstasy. She looked up in wonder as beams of light filtered through the sparse treetops, breathing a quiet 'wow' as she examined it. Her mind immediately related this to the painting she had seen, "The Ecstasy of St. Theresa." How the woman had been so enraptured with the love of the human God, how she had fallen back, how the angel had stood watching, and the light had came filtering down from the heavens.
___ The world was beautiful. She had known it all her life, but never had she actually thought that, never stated it to herself. She chuckled quietly to herself, letting her arm drop to her side. She tilted her head slightly as she heard the sound of another creature approaching, scanning the area for a flicker of movement. She paused, listening intently, waiting patiently for the other being to show themselves. The sound of something moving through the undergrowth was apparent, and Tayui assumed the source was from within the Storm pack lands. She stood, waiting, and finally the source of the noise revealed itself. Tayui smiled as she saw that it was a puppy, nodding slowly as the puppy spoke. "I would be Tayui, from another pack. Who are you?"
[/html]
[html]

--

_____ Kansas could not consciously appreciate the beauty of the world around him – he was too young for such a train of thought. When he was older, he would perhaps be a sensitive boy, loving the shapes, sounds, and colors that nature possessed from the bottom of his heart. But for now, he merely felt good, felt a strange sort of pleasure in his heart that he didn’t yet associate with the beauty of the day. He was calmed, much more so than usual. Kansas wished he knew why, but it was a hard thing to put his finger on, and unless he told someone and they relayed the answer back to him (which was unlikely), he probably wouldn’t find out for quite some time.

_____ He took to studying her more carefully, winding in a circle around her as she spoke to him. It wasn’t a daunting sort of thing – he was just feeding his curiosity. Upon rounding her back, he found a strange sort of stripe down her back, tan in color. She was muscular, strong, beautiful. He rounded back toward her front and paused there, just watching her for a moment, fighting back the feeling of intimidation brought on by that one red eye with a scar through it. She mentioned being from another pack – that much he could tell. Kansas didn’t know what the other packs were called, so this seemed a great opportunity to find out about at least one of them. “Wha’ pack?

[/html]
[html]

___ It was not a question of beauty, but an acceptance of everything one could be. Even while speaking to the puppy, she could still feel the world around her interacting with her. The wind picked up for a moment, stirring the few fallen leaves and causing the trees to stir for a second time. Tayui gazed at the trees for a few moments before turning her attention back to the younger wolf. He smelled strongly of the pack, and she supposed he was one of Phoenix's litter. Pilot had mentioned to her of the litter Iskata and Phoenix had. Although this puppy could be someone else's, it was most probable that it was the child of the Alpha and his mate.
___ Tayui studied the boy for a few moments, following him with her eyes as he moved around her, chuckling quietly as he paused to stare at her eyes. They had both once been a pale shade of blue, but her brother had inflicted a rather nasty wound when she had fled from her birth pack. His claws had made contact with her skin, leaving behind a nasty gash and a scar. It had also slightly damaged her eye, and the wound had stained it red. She smiled as the boy spoke once more, sitting down so she lessened her height by a small degree. "Jaded Shadows. It's a ways off, on the other side of the river, on a mountain."

[/html]
[html]

Sorry, bad post.

_____ He smiled at her without trouble, deciding that her red eye was nothing to worry about. He hadn’t thought it downplayed she herself in any way, he was just intimidated by its presence – it was a little scary. The boy felt the wind rustle the dead leaves around him, making a slow and steady crashing and crumpling sound that was akin to a lullaby. He felt so very calm, in his home with a soothing wolf before him and a beautiful day with the breeze playing around them both. It was almost enough to make him forget about his sister… he hadn’t seen Firefly in a while, and her apparent disappearance was a constant tug at his fragile heart.

_____ She explained her pack to him, and he smiled at her to show he had heard, practicing manners. To him, it sounded so very far away; so different from the world he knew – it only extended to the river (which, he assumed, was the same one she had mentioned) and to the areas of Storm that he had explored with his father a few days before. The notion of another pack was very real to him, though unknown at the same time. He wanted to ask more, but she’d said a word he didn’t know, so he pounced on the opportunity to find out what it was.“Wha’s a ‘mountain’?

[/html]
[html]

___ The fact that Tay.ui did not know what to address this child as seemed quite irrelevant now. Although she had presented the boy with her own name, it did not seem to be one of the pieces of information he was looking for. Words of the outside world seemed to be a great deal more interesting, and Tay.ui could not blame him for thinking this. When one was too young to venture out of their ho.me and see things for themselves, the words of another who had been able to see for themselves was of utmost importance. She figured that the child had a mother or father figure that he could ask, but it always seemed as though the mysterious stranger knew something more. The fact that she was a new face, one that could have been a potential danger, did not phase the puppy. Of course, that was most likely young naiveté at work overriding the child's common sense.
___ For the time being, Tay.ui was content with answering the boy's questions, and did not see what harm it would bring. If his father or mother arrived, she would undoubtedly have to explain her reason for venturing so close to another pack's borders and conversing with such a young coyote, but until then, she would humour the boy. "It's sort of like a hill. Where the ground is so tall that it's higher up than the trees. It stretched into the sky, and some go so far that you cannot even see the top. I don't live on one that tall, but it is rather large." She attempted to explain what a mountain was to someone who had never seen one, nor had it described to them before. She found that it was not that easy to explain something that seemed to simple, for it was like defining the word 'because' to someone. Being one who learned better with pictures, she wondered if a drawing in the dirt might help, or a more visual example. "Sort of like a big triangle in the ground."
[/html]
[html]

Where did her name come from? I've always wondered - it's such a cool name! Pff, Texas... Tongue

_____ He was like all puppies – he tried to understand the world around him, and how it was put together. He’d seen more than he could name, but that was just it – he needed to put a name to those things. It was frustrating for him; he didn't know what to call so many objects and concepts alike, and if he didn’t pounce on the opportunity to find out what they were, he would forget. A barrage of new questions would replace the old ones before he could even find out what the latter were. He wondered sometimes if adults found him annoying, what with the wealth of questions that came pouring from his lips. But this girl seemed so calm – she was safe.

_____ Her explanation was perfect for him, and he found himself smiling up at her, grateful. He relaxed enough to sit before her, watching her mouth move as if such would help him understand better. Oh, he said softly, I unders’and now. I seen them before. Some’re so big, the sky covers the top, righ’? But not yours… He was more thinking aloud now; he wondered if she would find this tiresome. Then, something hit him – Tayui had given him her name, but he hadn’t said his! He was horrified – manners were important to him, and he’d forgotten his. Oh! I’m Texas Sadiwa.

[/html]
[html]
lezbn I made her name up. I made Tayui about five years ago, and I wasn't as obsessive with pretty names as I am now, haha. And kahaha, the Texas filter was me >_> -cackle-

lezbn The wind was quiet now, and for that, Tayui was grateful. She had been able to hear it chattering with the trees in the background all the while, but now it had ceased its stirrings. Though only minutely aware of the ever-shifting winds and weather, Tayui felt a littler more at ease now that it was quiet again. She did not bother reflecting on this, and instead, shifted her attention to a more important matter. Sometimes she felt like an old, ailing wolf rather than a much younger one of four. (Could it really have been only four winter's?) Even so, she still felt at ease associating with puppies: she had not yet lost her ability to relate to them, which was something she was glad of.
lezbn She watched, smiling as the expression on the puppy's face changed from that of wild bemusement to subtle comprehension. She nodded as he spoke, glad that she had been of some assistance, and that her explanation had served its purpose. She had always learned better with pictures and drawings, or when someone just pointed at something and called it a mountain. From this distance, one could not see Ashen Mountain, so she had attempted to make her explanation as clear as possible to one with such a shallow understanding of the world. "No, the mountain is not that big. Once you're older, perhaps you'll be able to see it, or have your mother show you." She smiled as she used the word, this time knowing that the boy would be able to identify a mountain with a large hill. "A pleasure to meet you, Kan.sas. Another of the Sadira's, I see. I've known a few of them in my life, and others who were mates of them. You have a large family." Again, that cheerful, reassuring smile. Quiet, subtle, but present nonetheless.

[/html]
[html]

Nah, I love it! And sorry for the wait.

indentHe found himself staring at the drawing in the dirt, hungrily tracing its triangular shape with his eyes. He wondered if… what was it called…drawing, was difficult. It didn’t seem like it possibly could be – all you needed was a picture in you head and a steady hand. He made a mental note to find her again when he could shift and ask if she might teach him. The wind had died down around them, bringing the clatter of leaves and dancing branches to a close; the autumn waltz had ceased for the moment. But this somehow made the day seem more alive, complete as it was with the death and then rebirth of fall breezes.

indentThis girl seemed to know just how to talk to him. He was good at recognizing how different adults related to himself and his siblings. Some were domineering, as if keen to show off the years they had on him. He found that most, however, knew how to talk with him as though he were not just two months old – treating him like an adult himself, but willing to teach. Tayui was like this, he thought, though in not so many words. He simply felt comfortable with talking to her, and, despite her size and shifted form, wasn’t as intimidated by she as an adult as he was with most others.

indentThe idea of venturing still farther from his home to other pack territories was enthralling. He would take it home to his mother and ask if perhaps he and his brother and sisters could go one day to Jaded Shadows. He could get a very good look at what a mountain was. The alabaster female before him caught his attention yet again by mentioning that she knew a lot of his relatives. He had not yet realized just how large his family was. Really? Like who? He forgot to mention that he didn’t expect her to name them all off.

[/html]
[html]

I'm so sorry for making you wait so long for this reply!

Tayui had met many wolves in her life, though most memories were fleeting, and left only faint impressions in her mind. Though she was sometimes able to recall names or faces (sometimes only one or the other, other times, neither), she could recall hearing the name 'Sadira' used in the past. She had met one female and her daughter some time ago, and was able to recall quite vividly the day. It had been hot - incredibly hot - and the sun had been blazing. She remembered how it had blinded her for a moment before she noticed a wolf making her way toward her. Though the exact details aside from their names and the extreme heat were long forgotten, she could still recall the mood of the day. Cautious, but not in a sense that it intruded. Quiet apprehension, perhaps. It had been a strange day.

"I knew one female, Aiji Sadira. I met her once, but she had been kind enough. She had her daughter with her, but her name escapes me. I also knew Laika Sadira, though, I'm not sure how closely related the two are. Many wolves around here seem to take on whichever last name suits them, whether it's their mother's, father's, or grandparent's." She paused, thinking to herself for a few moments. "I do believe that I met Kiriska in the past, though, it could have been Ceres. I did know a past Clouded Tears leader, Colibri Soul. Her mate was a Sadira if I am not mistaken." She attempted to remember as best she could, but the details were so foggy and the times so old. Though there were many, many things she could recall with exact clarity, the correlation between a name and a face had always been a difficult one for her to grasp. She had little else to offer the child about his heritage, for she did not know where one parent began and another ended. Their family tree (as far as she knew) was a very complicated web of wolves.

[/html]
[html]

It’s fine! And sorry for the shortness. We can wrap this up soon, if you want. Smile

indentHe truthfully had no idea that his family was so widespread. He recalled that wonderful day with his father in summertime, when he had asked about Bleeding Souls, and whether or not there was anything else past it. At the time, the place had meant the entire world to him, and he had been certain that it was. But his father had made it seem like there was much more beyond the four packs. Still, knowing that his mother’s line stretched as far back as it did, and that it touched the life of even a stranger like Tayui, was enthralling. She gave him a long list of those she’d met who carried his name, and his small jaw dropped in wonder.

indentWow, thassa lot, and I never even heard any of ‘em! You know lotsa wolves, don’t you? It would seem so. If she had met so many wolves who belonged to just his family, and there were many, many other families in Bleeding Souls… well, then she had probably made a lot of acquaintances. It was strange, as she seemed so young to him. Usually he associated having been around with age, like Phoenix. Maybe he was wrong.

[/html]
[html]

If you'd like to keep this going, that's fine by me ;D Whichever you prefer!

Knowing someone and having been acquainted with someone were two vastly different things. Despite the child's beliefs, she knew very few of the wolves she had listed. She had met a few in passing, but never had she gotten to know them. She had met Aiji and her daughter only once. She could not even recall which of the two former leaders she had met, whether it had been Kiriska or Ceres. When she had met Laika, she had also come across her friend's alter ego, Bloodbane Wolfe, and had been under the impression that Bloodbane had killed Laika. Some time later, she had come to realize that Laika was very much alive and that Bloodbane was a frightful wolf indeed. Strangely enough, it was not until after that incident did she befriend Fly Agaric, the wolf whose body Bloodbane inhabited on 'special' occasions.

She smiled and shook her head as Kansas spoke. She did not want to put him down, but rather, set things straight. No matter how many names she could recall, she had not truly known them. She knew wolves like Mordulin, Rain, Fly, and Fatin. She had met them and had come to get to know them. "I have met many, but I know very few. Of all I met, I only knew Colibri. The others I met only once or twice, and after that I never saw them again." Of all the wolves she had listed, she had only known the one that was not related to Kansas. Ironically enough, it was Colibri who had been her bitter enemy. It was not until after she had gotten to know the other female that she realized she was a much kinder soul than she had ever believed.

[/html]
[html]

I think I’m going to go ahead and archive it – we should have another later!

indent Well, knew or not, even having met many wolves was a great accomplishment in Kansas’ book . Maybe his beliefs on this were fueled by the fact that he was somewhat confined to Storm at the moment, and so he had only met his family, Pilot, and now, Tayui. He had big dreams of being well-known in Bleeding Souls, perhaps being a big, important guy at some point. Like Tayui! He really wasn’t sure if she was highly-ranked, but it would seem so. A wolf as smart as her had to be what he called “important;” right? Tha’s still pwetty ‘mazin’.

indent Kansas spent a few moments looking her over, then gazing back down at her drawing of the mountain, piecing together what he had learned from the pretty female today. That she was from Jaded Shadows, which was a mountain, which was a big triangle of land. His family was large, and she had met many of them in her lifetime. Suddenly, he yawned. Time for that nap, he’d guess. Yous learned me a lot. But now, I think I should go home an’ see my momma. ’S nice talkin’ t’you, Tayui.

[/html]