Figuring it all out
[html]
OOC: anyone is welcome to join Big Grin

WC: 609

Niro was out by the stables, the whole day he’d been collecting wood salvaged from the cages he made an some other areas. It was all good sturdy wood, that he was going to make traps out of. He checked his sling, the egg was still nestled close to his leg, being warmed by the leather trapping in Niro’s own natural body heat. He was sure he looked weird but that didn’t matter to him. He had what he wanted now and he was going to make sure to keep the egg warm and alive. If he was to ensure his place in the pack he would have to start catching and training more raptors. It would surely help them in their own hunting. For now he would have to look at the present, and work with the traps before he thought of taking a bird out and using it for the hunts, that, he was sure was a long time from now. Once he caught a bird he’d have to train it, and that was a long process and until then he’d just use his four paws to help with the hunting.

He found a bunch of nails in a can in the stables, hoping they weren’t anyone’s he took them as they were the perfect length for the project he was doing, he found more chicken wire inside the lighthouse, he’d gone back after their first excursion and found a whole coil in a storage room. He was excited about that he knew he’d have to make another cage if everything went well, if not he’d figure out how to use it. He put the pieces of wood out and got his new knife out. He widdled the rough edges away and measured them in his own way, he opened the book on the trap he was making, it wasn’t very descriptive, but he was sure he could pull it off. He clapped his hands together excitedly and began working.

He’d hammered measured hammered and measured again, it was definitely a slow and grueling process but it was all he had to pay attention to today Orin was somewhere, hopefully not getting in trouble and hopefully with someone that would keep her out of trouble. Thinking about her made him start to worry about her. He shook his head she’ll be fine. He got back to work, he had to backtrack a little to remember where he was and what he’d done before hammering away again. After a while he sat down on the ground and took a few deep breaths, he checked on the egg again, it was safe of course, still strapped to his side, snug and tight against him. He knew it wouldn’t go anywhere for now. He looked at his work, and sighed, he was not even half finished with this thing. It was pretty big too, he’d have to move it to its destination with some help from someone, it would wait though he wasn’t going to go to a field and build it there out in the open like that. It was fine where it was now. Well he did get one side done at least, he’ll just have to do the other in a few while he rested. The smell of the stables was starting to get to him, he wasn’t use to being so close to horses unless he found one dead and even then it was quick get and go before other scavengers came around. He walked to the door to get a little air and leaned on it taking longing breaths of clean crisp air.

<style type="text/css"> .niro-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#4B73D8; letter-spacing:1px; } .niro-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;} .niro-a01{width:425px; background-color:#BCC7E7; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/nirotable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#3A4A6C; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style> [/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurikmaritgift.png); background-position:bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#005ac7; border:1px solid #444477;">

Big Grin

The bright and sunny day had coaxed Rurik out of the dark hotel. There was no electricity or running water in it, of course, but the canines of Cour des Miracles kept the house well-maintained enough. Rurik liked his room, but he knew his dwelling was only temporary; already he was visiting the coast and scoping things out for himself. He had spent yesterday doing this, wandering the little coastal town of Lunenberg. Today he was heading south, tracing his way along the coast as he went. After a while, a scent caught his nose—horses. He knew this scent, though he wasn't particularly familiar with horses, he did find them intriguing, and as he didn't know this part of the territory too well, he figured he ought to head over there and check it out.

Heading inland, the silver-furred werewolf hummed a tune to himself, his tail swinging merrily. Maybe he'd get to meet someone else from the pack today—the stables seemed like a rather good place to do it. There was a well-beaten track heading toward the stables, he found, hoofprints stamped into the sand leading up to it. The building was much larger than he expected, and grazing fields and a racetrack accompanied the large building. Rurik whistled in appreciation, and his brilliant blue eyes wandered over the territory, zeroing in on some movement. There was a familiar form there—Niro. Rurik remembered him from the fishing picnic, and he grinned, trotting forward quickly. He waved his hand toward the other man. “Allo, Niro!” the man said, striding over to his packmate. “Vhat is zhis zhing you are workeeng on?” the man asked, curious to see what the structure was.

<style>
.rurikgiftmarit b {color:#85d2dd;}
.giftmaritliliya {font-weight:bold; color:#218E9D;}
.rurikgiftmarit p {text-indent:25px; margin:0px; padding:0px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Niro was holding a plank of wood deciding how to put the chicken wire on, maybe just nail it, since the wire was actually pretty thin. That was when he heard his name. he looked up to see Rurik, he grinned at him and waved, holding the wood in one hand,

Oh I’m making a bird trap, for raptors,

He said matter of factly, showing Rurik the picture of the trap he was making, beaming proudly He turned back to his job and hefted the wood up to the rest of the trap, it was the last before he started putting on the wire, it was rather difficult, but he would make sure that it was well done. He was always good with his hands

<style type="text/css"> .niro-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#4B73D8; letter-spacing:1px; } .niro-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;} .niro-a01{width:425px; background-color:#BCC7E7; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/nirotable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#3A4A6C; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style> [/html]
[html]

The silver-furred Russian was a simple fisherman—he was capable of hunting, of course, but trapping land (or air!) animals was not something he was accustomed to. He studied the structure carefully, his brilliantly-colored eyes roving over the complicated object. “Eet looks like quite the project, my friend. Do you need help with it?” the cloudy man asked, tilting his head to the side. He peered over the picture, whistling appreciatively—he was not much of a craftsman, and he did not think he was capable of making such an object. He was always willing to learn and always willing to help, though, and he wanted to make himself useful in this Cour des Miracles pack. Helping a packmate was just the perfect way to do that, but Rurik didn't want to intrude—if Niro thought that he would make more of a mess than he would help, the silvery Russian wouldn't be offended in the least.

<style>
.rurik-giftsam b{color:#227c9b;}
.rurik-giftsam-liliya {color:#38B0D9; font-weight:bold;}
.rurik-giftsam p{margin:0px; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; text-indent:45px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Of course you can help, just hold this up for me,

He held up the plank of wood he was trying to put on the structure. He was having a little trouble on his own, and was glad that he got the offer.

And yeah, this is what is going to help me on my dream, imagine having eyes from the sky. It’d help so much with hunting, big small animals. It’ll be a lot of hard work.

He smiled wider as he thought of the future that will probably be a year or even half a year from now. Who knew, he didn’t but he was hoping the sooner the better. He wasn’t in a hurry though a rushed job would be a pretty bad job

[html]

http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bottledrage.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 245px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;">

8D

The silver-furred werewolf was eager to help, and as Niro spoke, he stepped forward, taking the plank in his hands. His brilliant blue gaze watched as the other man directed him as to where to hold it. Rurik wasn't a carpenter or someone who worked construction jobs too often, but he was decent with his hands, more than capable of doing a simple task like this. “No worries, mine friend,” the werewolf said, his tail wagging. As the other man continued to speak, the werewolf nodded, realization dawning on him. Rurik hadn't realized what a help it would be to have eyes in the sky. “You are right. It vill be verk, but it vill halp you much, I zhink,” the Russian said. “Nevar thought 'bout zhat... birds, you know?” he said, admiring the other man's brilliance.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bottledrage b{font-weight:bold; color:#BC2B26; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.ruri-br-liliya {color:#770501;font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bottledrage p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Niro smiled encouragingly, and started hammering a nail in the wood. He only had to do five or six swift hits before it was entirely in. then he went to the other side and hammered that one in.

I learned about it cause I was reading something Orin gave me about birds. Once I read about falconry I felt the need. I’ve already gotten an eagle’s egg.

Niro pated his pouch that was strapped tightly to his side where the egg was safely nestled. That was a proud feet on his own getting the egg. It was lucky he had someone there to help him get it too. He shook his head reminding himself he had a job.

Ok now I need you to hold onto the chicken wire, you’d be surprised at what you can find in a barn.

Niro chuckled at the thought, he pulled the roll of chicken wire up, the wires weren’t spaced widely apart, a finch could get out but nothing bigger than that. He pulled it out to the length and handed the wire to Rurik

[html]

http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bottledrage.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 245px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;">

--

Rurik knew a little bit about companion animals—some back in the old country kept horses, goats and sheep, hell—even cats, in some instances. But the silver-furred man had never considered birds before; the idea struck him, and he appreciatively gazed over Niro's handiwork, his brilliant eyes watching as the other man began to work the hammer, speaking merrily all the while. “That would be unique skill, I zhink. I travel the world, you know, and in my travels I have not seen zhis before,” he said eagerly. “But if zhere are books, it must have been done before,” he added. At least Niro had that to work from, after all—winging it would be much harder.

“You vill keep eagle here when it hatches?” he asked, a little confused—Niro had said this was a trap, after all. He wasn't sure how all of this worked, and of course, he was a fair bit curious about it. Quietly he held the wire, placing it against the open place where Niro had directed him. Rurik enjoyed listening and learning as much as any other wolf, and this was truly interesting to him—birds! Imagine that. What an inventive bunch these canines were.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bottledrage b{font-weight:bold; color:#BC2B26; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.ruri-br-liliya {color:#770501;font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bottledrage p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

RAWR!

Niro stood in front of the wire that Rurik was now holding, how was he going to cut it? He knew his knife wouldn’t do it, he looked around the room, maybe there was some kind of tool box? If so he was sure that it had been taken already. Great, he wished the wire was at length like the other he found, he made the bird cage to the length he had of chicken wire then, and it was a good perfect size for the birds. It would be only a temporary home till he had them trained, then he could mask them and put them in a box tied up. For this project… well he needed measurements, and it wasn’t easy without all the tools.

Hmmm, do you know anything I can cut these wires with?

He started looking around the barn for any signs of scissors that could cut the wire. Wasn’t sure if he’d find anything, but he’d been lucky this far; And as the thought that he found a pair of pliers near the wall where he found the hammer and nails. He opened the pliers and checked to see if they were sharp enough, the of them would easily cut the wire, although they were a little rusted, it might take him a little while to cut the wire.

found something, and no this is a trap it’s to trap full grown hawks and falcons. The egg here, he’ll stay with me. Baby birds are rather helpless and need lots of care.

He said as he started clipping the chicken wire, it was definitely going to take a little bit, he thought as he snipped the first wire.

<style>
.niro-b02 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.niro-b02 b {color:#FEA300;}
.niro-b02 {background-color:#030400; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010apr/niro2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 325px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7B8641; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.niro-b02-border {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; }
.niro-b02-separator{width:350px; border-bottom:1px dotted #F6BF2E; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Look who's got a second character. =D

The cloud-colored man waited as the other wolf looked around the barn. He rarely wore Ilya out except for more formal occasions or wandering anymore—especially within packlands, he didn't think it necessary to carry a sword around with him all the time. Now he was regretting it, but maybe a sword wouldn't be so good for the wire-cutting anyway. Swords weren't meant to make precise cuts, after all. Not that Rurik knew much of anything about making cuts on anything with a sword, though—she was mostly for show, after all. It had been many years since he had even practiced with her, and he assumed he was more than rusty with the blade. It didn't really matter, though, as Rurik was a peaceful creature, and he rarely found trouble. “Sorry, my friend. I come unprepared today,” he said.

“Ah, so you... keep young one, train eet. Zhen catch older birds for training?” the male asked, still not fully comprehending the plan. Did Niro plan to keep many birds for training and give them out to others or trade them? Such a thing would be positively genius, Rurik thought, but he didn't know how easy it would be to domesticate a clearly wild animal like that—at least with horses and pigs and cattle the humans had done most of the hard work.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bones b{font-weight:bold; color:#B44100; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bones em {font-style:normal; color:#7F2E00; font-weight:bold; }
.rurik-bones strong{font-weight:bold; color:#B88060; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bones p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
.rurik-bones{width:400px; background-color:#DED2C2; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bones.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 252px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: YEAH I’m all like WOO HOO!!!!!!!

As he snipped at the wire he listened to Rurik try to make sense of it, he kept working as he spoke.

Yes, not in that order but that’s what I plan to do. If things go right, I’ll have them trained in well probably a good year or so, not sure, maybe half amnth, the books never told me how long.

He was a little more than halfway done. He was glad for that, his paws were starting to bleed from the wire cutting them.

soon as I train them I’ll be able to use them, even have other’s use them if they wanna.

Niro was feeling impatient about the wires and how hard it was to cut but he only had a few more to go. He concentrated on the last few, it was a relief to finish it, but he knew he had more cutting to do.

I think I’m going to get this wire on and that’s it my hands hurt

He said rubbing his sore bleeding fingers before pulling the wire up to the box. Used the pliers to bend the wire the way he needed to. He started putting it into place before he looked at Rurik

Hold this? Then we shall be done! Well I’ll be done for a while my fingers are smarting.

<style>
.niro-b02 {background-color:#030400; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010apr/niro2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 325px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7B8641; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.niro-b02-separator{width:350px; border-bottom:1px dotted #F6BF2E; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

So pretty, tooooo. Big Grin Maybe I just like variants of Lily? Funny 'cause I'm not terribly fond of the name "Lily" itself. o_O

Rurik held the wire in place carefully, finding it easy work—he had imagined something a little more back-breaking, but hell, he wasn't complaining, and he was glad to help in whatever manner he could. The silvery werewolf's eyes meandered over their surroundings and the stables as he did so, still drinking in the new area. It certainly was roomy, anyway. Niro spoke again, and his coal-dusted ears twisted at the sound of them. “Oh yes. But you train that long, zhey vill be good helpers for you, I think,” the man said, encouraging. “I vould try one out, I think,” the man said, nodding his shaggy head. He was an adventurous sort, after all—he had never seen a bird of prey that close before. “Ouch,” the man said, wincing at his packmates' wounds. “You want, we sveetch and I do your job for leettle vhile,” the man said, happy to work wherever Niro wanted him. He was here to do that, and he intended to fulfill his duties to his pack—and his friends, of course. He didn't know Niro too well, but already, Rurik liked him—of course. The ash-hued man was a friendly sort in general, and it was rare for him to encounter someone he disliked.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-hell b{font-weight:bold; color:#E4DED8; letter-spacing:1px;}
.rurik-hell em {font-weight:bold; font-style:normal; color:#CEC4BB;font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.rurik-hell p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
.rurik-hell {width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/ruri_hell.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 278px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#B6B1AD; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: Lily is an ok name, I like Samantha better or Cassidy (if I ever have another child, and it a girl I want to name her Casady)

He was delighted to hear his new Russian friend wanted to use one of his future birds. Rurik didn’t know how much that meant to Niro. He was definitely glad that he came here with his sister, or he wouldn’t be with new friends, he wouldn’t have this any of it.

You wouldn’t mind? That would be great!

Niro said at Rurik’s offer and picked up the hammer and held the wire into place.

Now put a nail here, here and here first. But don’t hammer them all straight in leave a little room till we go all the way around, just in case we make a mistake and have to pull them all out, it won’t be so hard.

Niro said, he pointed at the first few spots that needed hammering. he made the mistake of hammering all the nails in and making a mistake on his cages and learned from It too. He braced the wire for Rurik

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Rurik was always down for new and different things—above all, he was an adventurer, and he always sought new thrills in life. The silver-furred werewolf had spent much of his days wandering the earth, true, but in his time he'd also done a fair amount of exotic things. Handiwork was one of those things that he knew pretty well—it wasn't outlandish or anything like that, after all. Even so, it was rare for Rurik to be bored with even the most menial of tasks; he could always hum himself a tune and entertain himself with thoughts of days past.

“No problem!” the Russian male said, always eager to lend a hand. The tawny-furred male listened to the other wolf speak, his dark-furred ears twitching at the sound of Niro's voice. It wasn't so hard, and Rurik of course had used a hammer at least a few times in his life before. He wasn't great with his hands, but what he lacked in dexterity he made up for with strength. It didn't take him long to hammer the first few nails in, lining his shot up carefully, his one eyebrow cocked to increase his concentration. The tip of his pinkish tongue hung out of his firmly set lips, and he lined up the hammer for the next one. “Zhis is good verk, my friend, no wonder you tired,” the Russian said, shaking his head. “Gotta make verk good, ozherwise the trap will not verk right,” the man said, making idle conversation as he worked. Rurik was rarely content to stay silent for very long.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-hell em {font-weight:bold; font-style:normal; color:#CEC4BB;font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.rurik-hell {width:400px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/ruri_hell.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 278px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#B6B1AD; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: ---

Niro held the board in place as his new friend promptly hammered the nails in, he watched approvingly, well Rurik was older than him… he would surely know how to do it. He chided himself as the wolf worked, he started talking, and keeping his ears perked to understand his Russian friend he nodded

Yes it is good work, I couldn’t have done any of this without the instructions, hopefully we can catch something in a few weeks or so!

Niro said smiling widely, feeling so proud of himself with the wolf’s every word.

It’s now your work too, I won’t forget who helped me with it!

Niro said nodding to Rurik, satisfied that the wolf was a huge help.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

The silver-furred werewolf was often impressed with the scope of human ingenuity; they seemed to have an answer for everything, and they seemed quite open and free with their ideas. They existed in books and in their writings here and there, left for the Luperci to reclaim them. “Eet is amazing, the zhings humans give to us,” he commented, continuing to hammer away. He was almost done, and a steady ache had begun in his arm. Rurik was not as young as he used to be, and he tired easier these days, though from looking at him, one could hardly tell he was beginning to slow down. He didn't contemplate actually slowing down, of course, and whether or not his own waning strength occurred to him was not clear.

“Anytime, Niro,” the werewolf said, pausing to offer the other man a genuine smile before returning to his work. After a few moments, he straightened up. “What now?” he asked, ready for more.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Niro watched Rurik work hard, finishing up the last touches n the hammering. He was in envy of the humans and their inventions as well, they had something for everything!

It makes me wonder how they could die off though. I mean if they could make these buildings and all these things, hw did they die?

He asked, he wasn’t sure if the Russian even knew that answer, no one he’s asked had known or even cared. Niro sure did, if they were using human things then wouldn’t they have to be careful with what they use? They’d end up killing each other in the process of taking over what the humans did.

Next we measure and cut the next bit of chicken wire.

Niro held up the chicken wire roll. He unrolled it on the next part, looking at the instructions, he pointed to what needed to be done next, although it would be complicated, the wire had to be bent up into a box like shape, it was a god thing his pliers weren’t only wire cutters.

This might be quite difficult but it’s the next step.