wildfires under your feet, torch the hills
[html]

OOC Name: Ari
Preferred method of contact: board PMs
Character Name: Laika (dropped her last name, Lockiye)
Character Age: one year, nine months
Character Gender: Female
Desired Profession Path, if any: Itse for now, will probably take up the medicine route
Regular Wolf or Luperci: Luperci (Arabian wolf {Canis lupus arabs}, possibly some coyote in her blood)
How did you hear about 'Souls?: I was zooming around Top Fifty Wolf RP sites and found this little dandy.

She didn’t think this is how things would turn out for her.
Laika was on her way, on her own, away from home and into the unknown. Her paws, raw and bloody and feeling like pins and needles, thumped tirelessly onward. Oh, Laika, Laika was now a machine, just made for walking this straight path, right this way, onward. She was honestly glad for the routine, it got her mind off of way she was on this journey in the first place.

Oh, lordy. What a trip.

She walked on spindly stick legs (passed down from her father, and her father’s mother, and onward), her ragamuffin patched bag bouncing steadily on her side. The bag itself was her brother’s; it seemed fitting that, now, it was more or less the last thing there was of him. All consumed, all broken, all gone. It was her family-pack’s way to destroy the deceased’s life, to get rid of every scrap. They just wanted to move on.
You could die from a broken heart.

The sun was setting, sending the world into a fiery, clockwork orange, making Laika’s shadows stretch across the ground like snakes. They spun and winded around the grasses and the bushes, dancing in praise of the night, their element. Laika liked the night, shallow sweetness of it, the crisp quiet. She sighed painfully.
It was nights like these where she missed her brother the most, with his smart comments and kindly looks. They sit and watch the sun set and talk about what happened in the past, what will happen in the future. Once they even stayed up the whole night to watch the sun rise. He was always her parent’s favorite, that boy.
Then, like a silver knife through her thoughts, the fence came into view. Well, she finally made it somewhere different. She had heard of this place in a few passing comments and it seemed like somewhere she’d fit in. She abruptly stopped beside a collection of rocks and laid down in a huff. She was starting to think she’d never find this place. After a week of traveling, she was deliriously happy she found this place. But now, she could rest. She’d wait until morning to announce her arrival, when she was refreshed and level-headed.
She slipped off the pack and shifted into her Optime form, cracking and stretching. She knew a few wolves who, being Vertos, hated that sound and could never get used to it, that crunching as their bones lengthened and their ligaments twisted. She couldn’t understand it, that was one of her favorite parts about shifting, other than becoming something different. She rolled her neck, letting it pop. Ah, much better. She only fleetingly shifted at all during the week, feeling much more comfortable to just stick to one inconspicuous form.
She dug through her bag, pulling out beads and hair ties and a cloth dress. She loved ornaments, really, but took most of her jewelry off during the trip to save it from falling or breaking. She pulled the cloth dress over her head, smoothing it out and checking for tears. It was one of the two outfits she brought with her, the other being a simple blouse and a pair of scuffed-up jeans. The dress came from her mother, made to grow into, with tribal patterning and a forest color scheme. Normally she wore it for important occasions, to give a good impression.
Sitting on the sun-drunk rocks still warm from the rays, she watched the light fade and the stars rise up as she braided a few feathers (all crow feathers, most of her family found them creepy but she found them fascinating) and few beads into her mane. She wasn’t a fan of cutting her mane into some sort of style, but she trimmed it up and it looked good on her, fit her fluttery eyes and wild glances.
The light was gone soon enough, and in its wake was a velvet black sky pin-pricked with white light. Laika yawned and crawled down beside her bag. She closed her eyes and fell asleep in a flash.
She had one dream, although it could’ve just been a memory.

The light seeped through her eyelids and split through the dark sleep. She rose and rubbed her eyes with the palms of her hands. After the confusion of sleep drifted up, it felt like every hair on her body was spiked up; she was so nervous, so scared for today. She didn’t realize it yesterday, but now, with the event right up ahead, with no way to avoid it (unless if she ran away, something she’d never do), she was remarkably anxious. She gulped at the air and twirled a piece of hair between her fingers. She could do this, she could. She just had to be strong.
Once she felt a little calmer, she gathered her things and settled herself right at the border. She supposed some sort of guard patrol would be making the rounds by now, with the sun now crawling over the hills. She took a few deep breaths, cast out the negative thoughts swirling in her head (what if they turn me away what if I’m not good enough where will I go what will I do?), and lifted her mouth to howl. Her voice was always a little wobbly, not quite weak but just a little off-balanced, and it rolled through the air, loud and relatively clear. She rarely howled, really, only if it seemed like the only way to grab someone’s attention quick. After she closed her jaws and cut the noise in half, and stood, unsure. Could she sit? Or would that be rude? How long should she wait? How long would it take? She fiddled with the beads in her hair and tried to make herself look tall and strong and like someone who could help.
She hoped things would turn out alright.

picture cred: Mikael Kennedy

[/html]
[html]

hey there! welcome ^^ I really like your writing! Big Grin 300+

As always, the Utina man rose with the sun. Its welcoming rays seeped into his hut and he yawned, stretching his arms above his head. The days were growing warmer all the time and he no longer had need for a blanket while he slumbered. Sitting up he rubbed his eyes, wiping the sleep from the pale blue oculars. The broad-chested male took a deep breath and then stood up, grabbing his bow and quiver. Hopefully as he took his morning patrol around the fenced borders he could find a rabbit or two to have for breakfast. Strapping the items on he took off from his home in the direction of the stables. As he made his way Onawa materialized from the morning fog and walked beside him. He smiled at her, and gave her a nod, his customary greeting. He didn't know where it was that she journeyed to in the nights, but he supposed it wasn't any of his business.

Nayati reached the stables quickly and moved to where Iye stood waiting in his stall. "Getting used to the routine, eh brother?" he asked patting the horse's nose. For his first month or so in the lands he had taken his walks on foot, wanting to get to know the land. Know that he knew it though, he needed to make sure that Iye was kept in good shape and condition. Not to mention making sure that he wasn't bored. He was a hunter's horse, and wasn't keen on being cooped up too much. There was no tack used, and almost gracefully the pale luperci hopped astride the stallion and they exited the stables. Fresh morning air bathed their forms and with a slight kick of his heels they galloped off towards the borders.

Once they reached the fence their pace slowed to walk. Usually there was nothing out of the ordinary and so there was no need to rush anywhere. Today didn't appear to be so ordinary though, as a calling call hit his gray dusted ears. Curious, he urged Iye into a canter and the trio took off in the direction of the caller. As the form came into sight he slowed the dapple gray's pace once more, not wanting to alarm the other canine, which was soon recognized as a woman. The closer he came the more surprised he was by her appearance. Aside from the dress, the way she decorated her mane was very much like his own, and how his people adorned themselves. The Utina's interest was very much piqued and a very subtle smile was on his lips as he trotted up to the woman. "Greetings! I heard your call, what is it that you seek here in AniWaya?"

<style type="text/css">
.nayatibowarrow b {font-weight:bold; color:#A79A29; letter-spacing:.5px; }
.nayatibowarrow-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:center; }
.nayatibowarrow p {text-indent:17px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.nayatibowarrow {margin:0 auto; width:336px; background-color:#24130B; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... warrow.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #E5C68D; padding: 10px 0px 415px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9C6127; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

xxxx

Laika stretched her arms up over her head and up to the rising sun, letting a little smile flicker across her lips. This was a nice area, perfect temperature and perfect surroundings; she was quite sure she’d be happy here, if she was admitted into the tribe. Suddenly, she brought her arms down to her chest and perked up her ears, her head tilted to where she was sure she heard something. But what? It was a dull thump-a-thud-a-thump, like hooves on the ground. Deer? It sounded much too heavy for just one deer, unless if over the fence they raised monster bucks, which could be possible, and it didn’t seem to be a herd. What in the gods name was it? She kept her eyes locked to the horizon, looking for movement or a shadow.
Then, there it was, two figures trotting nowhere fast. One she recognized as a luperci, but the other… It was definitely not a deer or a buck. Maybe… a horse? Laika had never seen one before, or at least up close, and had only heard of them by the chatter of her elders. Well, a tribe that had a horse (possible horses!) was definitely a strong tribe. She stood, waiting for them to reach her, getting more nervous by the second.

As the man neared and called to her, she bowed quickly and deeply. “I am Laika, I come from--” oh, oh, which way was it? Oh, right-- “the west, and I left my home in search of somewhere to start a new life. I seek admittance into AniWaya,” Goodness, she sounds like a buffoon! Just act strong, just act like you know what you’re doing. “I--I am good with a paintbrush and, back at my old pack, I helped care for the ill. I love helping my fellow creatures. I know how to take care of common illnesses, but I’m sure there is much I could learn and I’m willing to train,

[/html]
[html]

If you want to add "leader needed" into the subtitle of your post, we'll try and get a leader in here and get you accepted Smile 300+

The deep bow that she offered too him a little by surprise. He of course believed in respect where respect was due, but he didn't feel that he himself was worthy of such a strong show of it. Yes, he was the member of the tribe that she was apparently seeking membership in, but it still took him a little aback. Quickly he shook himself out of it though, listening carefully to the words she spoke. Honestly, he had half expected that she was a fellow member of AniWaya that had made their way here from the Great Tribe and he simply didn't know her. That didn't appear to be the case though, even if she did come from the west. "You may relax Laika, I'm not the chief," he said with a good hearted smile. "My name is Nayati Utina, a hunter here. I cannot accept you myself, but I'll call for someone who can." He tipped his coal nose to the air and let forth a call for either the Kalona or the woman who helped him. He didn't really know her, but she was the only one aside from Dawali who could give a new person admittance to the tribe.

His call finished, Nayati turned back to her and considered the talents that she had listed. "Those versed in the healing arts are always helpful. Our Kalona, he is the head healer her and he knows much. I'm sure he would be willing to teach you what he knows. I'm not sure how many others here possess the skills for that path, but I'm sure you'd be welcome among them." The only tribes people whose paths he knew were Dawali's, Asha's, and Aurèle's, and only Dawali followed that of medicine outside of his duties of leading the tribe. He couldn't imagine they wouldn't find another healer beneficial.

<style type="text/css">
.nayatibowarrow-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:center; }
.nayatibowarrow {margin:0 auto; width:336px; background-color:#24130B; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... warrow.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #E5C68D; padding: 10px 0px 415px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9C6127; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Alright. ^^
WC:: 260

Laika straightened herself out, smiling shyly. In her family, she was around the bottom rank as a pup and had to pay a good deal of respect to anyone of a higher rank, even to outsiders. It was supposed to teach the pups humility and modesty, but now Laika saw it made things a little awkward outside of her old home. The luperci, Nayati, seemed nice and polite; she loosened up her stance, feeling a little better about herself. She was expecting some terribly vicious hunter to be guarding the gates, but it seemed like a peaceful and welcoming land. She realized that the man was dressed similar to how she presented herself; maybe she did belong here, maybe she was in the right spot. Maybe this was a place she could finally refer to as home, without any second thoughts.
Oh, I’m very glad that I might be useful in your tribe,” she said, “and thank you, Nayati, for welcoming me,” she dipped her head in thanks, smiling briefly. She was always a wolf a few words, but it felt somewhat awkward there, standing in silence waiting for the chief, but there didn’t seem to much else to say.
Her eyes flickered to the beast beside him, which she was almost certain was a horse, but it wouldn‘t hurt to be sure. It would probably be helpful to know all of the fauna of what she hoped would be her new home. “Excuse me, but is that a horse?” she asked, looking at the creature curiously. "I don't believe we have them where I come from."

[/html]
[html]

Hello there ^^

She was normally one to rise before the sun, but today she had made an exception and had allowed herself to sleep in a bit. Ember had never been much of a worrier, more of a go-with-the-flow type, but occasionally her son didn't return to the den and that seemed to set her off. He was growing older, she knew, and would be going on the same types of wild adventures that she had as a pup. Some nights he wouldn't return, she knew. But that couldn't stop her from thinking about him, wondering if he was okay. She had finally managed to get to sleep a few scant hours before the bright ball of light crept up into the sky.

The distant howl had been lost to her in her dreamy state, but the second one came after she had gotten up out of bed. The sub-leader had hastened to get to the pair in a timely manner, as timely as possible, and arrived seated upon her appaloosa Bayard. He had gotten her there in a quarter of the time it would have taken her to get there by foot. She dismounted and took in the sight of the two, recognizing Nayati from the pack gatherings and observing the odd scent that drifted toward her from the newcomer.

Ember wore no cloak today due to the heat, but her weapons-belt had not been forgotten, strapped firmly around her waist. She had a few weapons, the longest being her sword Lightning, but it didn't seem as if she would be needing any of them for this encounter. "Hello. I've seen you before but I'm not sure if we've ever officially been introduced. I'm Ember Phoenix. What news do you have for me of this wolf?" She gave Laika a nod as well.

<style type="text/css">
.ember1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#990000; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ember1ooc {font-style:italic; color:#990000; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.ember1 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.ember1 {margin:0 auto; width:415px; background-color:#8D4794; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... ember1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #09000B; padding: 0px 0px 170px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2D0531; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
table by lin
[/html]
[html]

Laika seemed like a very nice and respectful person. She would fit in well here, and he really had no worries that she would be turned away. True they had only spent a few moments in one another's company, but he saw no reason to turn her away. She relaxed her stance and he smiled down at her. It had been a conscientious move on her part, but it was unnecessary in his presence. "You are welcome Laika, hopefully I can soon call you a fellow tribesmember," he returned. Nayati saw her eying his horse curiously, and soon enough she gave voice to her questions. "It is indeed. His name is Iye. We keep many horses here, they are of a great help to us." Honestly he couldn't imagine life without them.

Soon the sound of more hoofbeats reached his ears and he turned to see the dark woman he had seen at the Uku Dance coming their way on her own steed. Once she reached them she dismounted and turned to him. Nayati bowed his head momentarily in respect before answering her questions. "And I am Nayati Utina. Good to finally make your acquaintance officially." His gaze then turned back to Laika. "This is Laika, and she is seeking acceptance into the tribe. She is a healer and hopes to be able to help in that way as well as to learn more about her path." Having covered everything he deemed important about the woman, he turned back to Ember, waiting to see how the rest of this would go.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC:: 219

A grin hopped across Laika’s lips, so happy that the meeting seemed to be going alright. Her grandpapa told her stories about how some other packs had tests you had to compete to join; if you failed, you were chased out or even killed. Now, Laika was fairly certain that it was just a bedtime story to make bad pups like her sit still, go to bed, stop fidgeting, behave your elders. “He certainly is a pretty beast,” she murmured, wondering how many horses they had, and if she would get one someday.

She heard that rhythmic thumping again, which she could finally identify as a horse, making a beeline in their direction. It seemed to be carrying a luperci woman, dark and with what appeared to be a sword wrapped in her belt. That must be the chief she thought, but something told her that the woman was indeed of high rank, but not quite chief. She waited quietly as the two introduced themselves, then when her name was mentioned, she bowed (trying, this time, not to bow too deeply as to make her look foolish again) and stayed quiet out of respect. She felt that Nayati’s introduction of her summed up what she would’ve said, anyhow, and there was little more she could add.

[/html]
[html]

Welcome to AniWaya! I'll get you titled up shortly Smile<>/p>

It seemed that Nayati had already done a very good job of interviewing the potential tribe member. If he trusted that she would do well in the tribe and that she would not bring them trouble, then she believed him. She was the one to make the final judgement, but Nayati had played a big part in the newcomer's acceptance.

"Welcome to AniWaya, then, ma'am. If he thinks you're suited, then I believe him." She said simply, nodding. "Would you mind showing her to the village, Nayati? Or another acceptable denning area if she isn't a fan of houses?" She asked. It was something that she would have done herself, but Nayati had been the first on the scene and she left the task to him. Ember looked back to Laika again. "Our chief, Dawali, knows some of the art of healin'...you'd do right to try and find him sometime"

<style type="text/css">
.ember1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#990000; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ember1ooc {font-style:italic; color:#990000; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.ember1 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.ember1 {margin:0 auto; width:415px; background-color:#8D4794; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... ember1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #09000B; padding: 0px 0px 170px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2D0531; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
table by lin
[/html]
Welcome to 'Souls!

Hey, welcome to 'Souls. You've just joined the craziest bunch of wolf roleplayers on the vast internet. If you haven't done so already, you should check out the rp guide for detailed information about our werewolves and other general role playing information.

Now that you're accepted, you need to do two things:
___1. Make your first IC post within five days.
___2. Update your profile with a bit of background information on your character.

You can also start saving up points toward titles and icons and cool stuff. Check out the Open Threads and Thread Requests forum for people looking to roleplay. You can post random out of character chat in the OOC Garbage with us, too.

[html]

Ari, we can continue this or just assume that Nayati showed her around. Up to you!

Laika's compliment to Iye made Nayati's grin widen. The stallion's ear flicked and he momentarily eyed the female luperci as if he knew that she had been speaking his praises. It was always hard to tell with the dapple gray horse though. Some could be very expressive and outgoing, but Iye was more the stoic type. "I think so too, thank you. If he could thank you too I'm sure he would." The horse's tail swished, but it easily could have been a fly on his flank as any kind of response. Still, despite his reserve he was hardly a rude beast.

He had expected Ember to question her more thoroughly, and he was somewhat surprised to hear her say that she was satisfied enough with what he had told her. Such a quick acceptance on the word of a lower member had never happened in the Great Tribe. However, he supposed he wasn't so low of a member here, and it was an honor to have his word and judgment be so trusted. The Utina nodded at the warrior once again. "I would not mind at all. Do you have a preference Laika?" She seemed the type to want to live in the village, but he could be wrong.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Okay, we can continue this here. ^^ this will count as my IC post, yeah?
By the way, I wasn’t sure if there was a door to the fence or if there actually is a fence or anything about the fence, so I made Laika coming over to the other side rather vague. :|

WC:: 254

Her heart fluttered, skipped a beat. Did she really just get accepted? Was Laika now part of AniWaya?
Oh, oh thank you so much!” she said, bowing once more and trying to keep her tail from wagging like a pup’s.
She picked up her bag from the ground, swung it on her shoulder, and straightened her posture. This was it, she was part of another tribe, she had a new home, this was it. She felt like she was bursting at the seams. Laika suddenly realized she didn’t actually think she’d get this far.

A house in the village will be fine,” at her last home, they lived in dens-turned-house, with skylights and rugs yet the walls were still rock and mud and dirt. She wondered what these houses would look like; she supposed the houses would be rather simple, judging what culture she saw so far, but that was fine by her. All she needed was a floor, a roof, and somewhere to lay her head after a long day. “Oh, and do we all get one house, or do we share…?” she asked, joining the other two on the other side of the fence (her first steps in her new home! Oh, she was deliriously overjoyed!). She wasn’t against the idea of sharing a place, as long as she didn’t get stuck with a moron. Honestly she thought it might be a good idea to share her space with someone else, to help her learn the basics.

[/html]
[html]

So, so sorry for the wait! D: As far as the fence goes, I'm not entirely sure either, so vague is good XD

There hadn't been many times that he had seen someone get accepted into the tribe from outside, and he had to say the look of joy upon Laika's face filled him with a similar feeling. Even though he felt she would have been accepted regardless of who had greeted and questioned her, he couldn't help but feel that he had been of some help to her, to start a new chapter of her life. It was a good feeling. The Utina man knew that he would be keeping a watch over the new member, making sure she was getting along alright. Showing her around was the perfect opportunity to start her on a good path.

Nayati dismounted from Iye and put his hand on the horse's shoulder, letting him know to follow along with the two luperci. "The village it is then," he said with a smile. "This way." Nodding his head in the direction of the village he began to walk, Iye walking beside him. "There are plenty of houses to go around, so you may pick any vacant one that you wish." They had many more accommodations than the actual population of the tribe require at this time. Still, they would need many more if the Great Tribe were to ever make it here, which he hoped they would eventually.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]