business in the front, party in the back.
[html]
► private for savina, set near cottontail valley during late morning. he is unshifted.
► this thread is rated mature for drug references, starting in the 1st post.

As the first rays of dawn filtered through the dusty garage window, two pale yellow eyes blinked open and the mind behind them wondered what this day would have in store. The previous day was hazy at best; although the drugs contributed, the effect was compounded by the sheer outlandishness of the events that had transpired. Something told him that the tone of this day would be very different, but, unwilling to surrender to sobriety so easily, he had himself a quick smoke before setting off with his back to the sun.

Long distance travel with his bike in tow had been awkward at best and without it, he covered ground much faster. Although some trails were navigable, all too often he had to stop and manually manoeuvre it through thickets and brambles--to make matters worse, short cuts were most always out of the question. Still, the teen loved the thing and he was relieved to finally have a secure place to stash all of his stuff. With Axle and Grit on duty, the garage seemed as good a place as any to keep his wheels--not to mention the fact that the abandoned city was the most relevant place for such artefacts in the first place.

Before too long, then, he encountered a sizeable lake in the midst of a dense forest; here he stopped to bathe, using the cool, clear water to wash the pungent scent of marijuana and smoke from his pelt. Once he was done scrubbing he emerged from the lake, shook, down-shifted, and continued his journey on four legs instead of two. This was all part of the game, of course--he wanted to be as presentable as possible when he finally reached his destination.

Following the bath, his course shifted southward and he found himself on the fringes of marked territory. Excitement got the better of him and he was about to call for Savina when he realised that something didn't quite add up--this pack was lead by a male, but Lolita had informed him that Crimson Dreams was headed by a duo of females (one of them being the woman his mother had instructed him to find). Still fuzzy from his morning smoke and not wanting to deal with any more than he had to, he skipped away quickly from the borders of Cour des Miracles and resumed a westward march.

The forest gave way to rolling hills and in due time, he scented the musk of the Dreamers amongst a light backdrop of wild flowers. By now his coat was nearly dry and he paused to roll in the colourful fields, figuring the flowery perfume would do well to mask any remaining stench (not that there was any; this precaution was driven by paranoia alone). His playful romp was enough to rouse the curiosity of a fat brown hare, who, unfortunately, took notice of the youth taking notice of him just a little too slow for it to matter.

Only now did he meander up to the invisible line that divided a nation and neutral territory. A quick cross-check confirmed that the two dominant scents here were feminine, and--after making sure every last hair on his head was in place (well... at least 90% of them)--he threw back his head and called for Savina alone. He arranged his offering nearby and retreated several steps before taking a seat with his tail curled neatly about his haunches, put on an expression of what could only be described as youthful exuberance, and waited with the patient anticipation that only Mary Jane could afford him.

<style type="text/css">.barret-de-id {border-bottom:1px dotted #a5884b} .barrett-de b {font-weight:bold; color:#945f02; } .barrett-de-ooc {font-family:tahoma, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:left; padding:3px 10px; color:#bfa87c} .barrett-de p {text-indent:25px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;} .barrett-de {margin:0 auto; width:420px; background-color:#efe7d0; background-image:url(http://zero.sleepyglow.net/barrett/deadend.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #a5884b; padding: 7px 0px 245px 0px; font-family: tahoma, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#9a7f4d; line-height:14px; text-align:justify;}</style>[/html]
[html]

300+
Yay! Big Grin

As was usual for the Commander, she slumbered well into the morning. For a long time her newest litter had been right by her side, but they were growing and anxious to learn about and explore the wide world that surrounded them. As such, she was currently by herself in her room, her four legged body asleep snugly underneath a warm blanket. The pure rays of sunshine filtered into the room, illuminating the various books and toys the occupied it. Despite the worries that came to every mother when her pups started to go out and explore on their own, Savina couldn't help but be thankful for the sleep that she was once again able to obtain. While they had been young and staying mostly in the room, they would sleep for an hour or so and then be running around. It may have been enough for puppies, but it was certainly not enough for adults. It was wonderful to be able to get a nice, full and complete night of sleep once more.

The howl that unexpectedly sounded in the air slowly roused the woman from the dreaming world and her mouth opened wide in a yawn, limbs stretching dramatically to wake her body. Emeralds blinked lazily as her brain started to function in real time again. Had that howl called for her specifically? She thought it had, but that seemed odd, as the voice was not at all familiar to her. Perhaps it was some leader she had yet to meet coming for an audience. Whoever it was though, she better not keep them waiting any longer than necessary. Jumping from the bed and shaking her dark pelt out, she nosed the door of the room open, walked down the stairs, and exited the manor.

It didn't take her long to pick up the scent of the stranger and as she trotted in his direction she saw a young male seated at the edge of the Cottontail Valley. Savina didn't bother with her usual alpha posturing. Whoever the male was, he clearly knew who she was and she saw no point in going through the motions. She appreciated a casual air when it could be afforded and she didn't doubt that he would as well. The distance between them closed and her emerald orbs picked up the sight of the dead hare laying in front of him. Well, that was a nice surprise if it were for her. A soft smile came her lips as she looked back to him. "You called?" Now that she could scent him in more detail, there were notes of familiarity that tickled her memory, but she could not put them in the appropriate slots. The Italian had never laid eyes on him before, so why did he know her and why was his scent triggering something in her mind?

<style type="text/css">
.seashellsunshine b {font-weight:bold; color:#97672d; letter-spacing:.5px; }
.seashellsunshineooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#976d39; text-align:right;}
.seashellsunshine p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.seashellsunshine {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#d9f3ff; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/ ... nshine.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #253c4c; padding: 0px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#253c4c; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Although the winds were not in his favour, he could spot her picking her way towards him through the low vegetation long before they were in conversational range. His dark ears fell against his head and a low, anticipatory whine sounded from deep in his throat as he scooted just two inches in her direction, his tail already thumping rhythmically against the warm earth. He gazed at her intently with interest, although his features remained strictly casual, if not amicable, and his gaze never lifted to meet her own. Subconscious instinct bade him to take note of the informal atmosphere associated with their meeting, but Barrett was all about first impressions and Maserati had managed to instil a good sense of manners and respect in her boy.

She addressed him and he offered a quick little bow, licking his lips and nudging the kill toward her before he spoke. "Mum... er, Maserati... sends her regards," he started, "'n this as 'n offering, if you'll have me," he concluded with a charming smile and another flop of his tail. He would take no credit for the kill that was obviously his--even in the warm summer sunshine the hare would not have maintained its temperature throughout his lengthy trek. Hopefully, this act of apparent selflessness and deference would earn him brownie points with his mother's old friend and his future leader.

"Savina, right?" he queried, awaiting some kind of confirmation (however vague) before continuing. He didn't know why someone else would show up when he'd requested the Commander's presence alone, and this woman's scent clearly matched one of those prevalent along the border, but it seemed like a good segue into his own introduction if nothing else. "I'm Barrett, and it's nice to finally meet you. If the rest of your territory is as nice as it is up here, I can see why mum wanted me to come stay with you." Another hopeful smile.

<style type="text/css">.barret-de-id {border-bottom:1px dotted #a5884b} .barrett-de b {font-weight:bold; color:#945f02; } .barrett-de-ooc {font-family:tahoma, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:left; padding:3px 10px; color:#bfa87c} .barrett-de p {text-indent:25px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;} .barrett-de {margin:0 auto; width:420px; background-color:#efe7d0; background-image:url(http://zero.sleepyglow.net/barrett/deadend.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #a5884b; padding: 7px 0px 245px 0px; font-family: tahoma, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#9a7f4d; line-height:14px; text-align:justify;}</style>[/html]
[html]

300+
:3

Despite her not having asserted her authority, she noted his show of respect towards her. Such kindness never went forgotten in her mind. Many times she had met wolves twice his age who hadn't been so deferential. Whoever had raised him had clearly taught him well. In a few moments when she would find out who his mother was, she wouldn't be at all surprised. As he nudged the rabbit towards her she nodded her head in gratitude. From her recollection, no one had ever brought her such an offering before. The woman's eyes widened slightly as the young male spoke. Even though the crimson painted femme hadn't been in the area for long, she had greatly enjoyed the time they had spent together. How was it that Maserati could have a son this age? Had it really been that long? It boggled her mind and she made no move to try and hide her surprise.

When he asked for confirmation of her identity though she shook her head, coming out of her reverie. "Yes, I am Savina," she said, smile returning to her face. "I apologize, I didn't know that Maserati had son or that it had been such a long time since I saw her. It may be cliché, but time really does fly." The Italian fey always marveled at how fast things seemed to move and change. How fast children grew were the greatest reflection of this. The young man before her appeared about the age of her first litter, perhaps a bit younger. How odd, to think that her old friend had been pregnant around the same time as her. As he introduced himself, her smile only widened. "The pleasure's all mine Barrett. If your mom wanted you to come stay here then I will not disappoint her, or your grandfather for that matter. Welcome to Crimson Dreams." It wasn't usual that she would accept someone so fast into the pack, but Maserati had more or less entrusted the care of her son into Savina's arms and she couldn't turn down that honor. Besides, Anselm and his family were nearly as kin in her eyes.

"Well, if you'd like to see the rest of it, I can show you around." A walk around the territory would be nice for her as well. Besides, she was eager to hear news of her friend. "How is Maz? Is she back where she was from originally?"

<style type="text/css">
.seashellsunshineooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#976d39; text-align:right;}
.seashellsunshine {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#d9f3ff; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/ ... nshine.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #253c4c; padding: 0px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#253c4c; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
► WC 431

Things were running as smooth as silk and despite his conscious efforts at maintaining decorum (with utmost attention given to detail), he found himself slipping further and further into a relaxed state. He could already see why his mother found the dark Italian woman to be good company; she exuded an aura of that tranquil competence he couldn't help but gravitate toward. It was very motherly in nature and despite having just shown up, he was already starting to feel at home. As much as he hated to admit it, his mother had been 100% on the ball on this one; this wasn't a problem in and of itself, though her unwavering good judgement was perplexing to the youth that so often wished to throw caution into the wind and just have things work out anyway. Perhaps he'd found a good balance between the two extremes.

"Yea; she said about the same when I told her I wanted to come see Nova Scotia for myself," he offered sympathetically, although he really had no way of relating to the adult's experience. In his world the days and weeks of summer stretched on into the infinite; he couldn't really conceive of how he'd spend the next few hours, much less the next few months or years. Fortunately, the leader was quick to resolve his dilemma on at least one of those time scales. "I'd like that," he piped up quickly, his gratitude and enthusiasm sincere--what wolf wouldn't be curious about their new home? "And thank you," he added quickly as he rose lightly to his feet with his tail brushing against his ankles.

"Oh; yes... she met dad--um, Cyprus--on the way back," he offered. "Dad never lived here, but my great-great grandpa through him used to live in this area before the fire. Spade Aika," he added, although he didn't guess the name would hold much significance. This history was borderline ancient and more or less beyond the realm of his comprehension anyway; he knew of ancestral names, but not exploits. "I think she had us not long after she got home," he continued, alluding to the fact that he was not the only child Maserati had mothered. Nonetheless, the time lines were awfully quick and condensed--nobody could fault Savina for being surprised. "Anyway, she's doing well. I think she worries, but she felt better after I went to my dad's clan to train. When I got back home, Anselm and his mate had found us; said something about a long-standing conflict coming to an end and that I'd be ok."

[html]

500+
This was longer than I intended ^^;

Savina wasn't a prideful wolf, and so knowing that Maz would send her son here to stay while he was in Nova Scotia warmed her heart. It was no light decision for any mother to make and there wasn't a doubt in her mind that she was worried over him and his well being. The Italian wasn't one to shrink away from anything, and she was now determined to make sure the Barrett was kept safe and happy as long as he was under her care in Crimson Dreams. It was a duty she took seriously with every member of her pack, but it was more personal when it came to the dappled young man before her. He was now a nephew in her eyes, and she would protect him as fiercely as any of her true nipoti. She wouldn't let Maserati down.

The words Barrett offered did make her feel better, knowing that his mother held the same level of disbelief that she did. She could easily recall the first time she had come across the red painted woman and her raccoon friend, offering her the rabbit she had just caught. Now they were both mothers with grown children. How bizarre. The Commander could tell though that he didn't have the same sense of awe when it came to the passing of time. She didn't expect him to. He was young, and at that age, time seemed to be slowing you down rather than speeding you along. "You're very welcome. Any kin to Maserati is welcome here. We'll stop by the mansion quickly first so I can deposit your gift and then we'll go on from there." Her slender neck leaned down and she wrapped her mouth around the rabbit, picking it up and turning to head back to the large house.

As they walked Savina was unable to reply, having a mouth full of hare, but she listened attentively as Barrett relayed his mother's story after she had left these lands. The name from his father's side rang no bells with her, but any history before the fire was mostly unknown to her. All she knew were these lands, not those that had been taken by the blaze. The manor was very close, and they arrived just as he was speaking of Anselm showing up. The woman nosed the back door to the kitchen open and walked inside, hopping up on her hind legs to deposit the rabbit on the counter top. "It's a mother's job to worry about her children. Hopefully knowing you are here in Crimson Dreams will allay some of her fears though," she said, dropping back to the ground. "Anselm has a mate? So, the sly dog finally settled down, eh?" She chuckled softly as she shook her head. She hadn't known of any women in his life recently, but she was happy he had found someone. The fact that he had left the lands again was a surprise, but not too great of one.

"Ah, yes. The war between Inferni and Dahlia de Mai. Things are peaceful now, though dangers still lurk around. To my knowledge, Dahlia's ex leader is still running around somewhere. He's an incredibly dangerous man. If you see a chocolate colored wolf with blue eyes and many scars, you get away from him and call the pack if he's around these parts. Don't try to talk to him or take him on yourself," she said in a stern voice, letting him know that it was no light matter. Letting the authority leak out of her again she motioned with her nose around them. "This is Haven Manor, the place that most in the pack live. There are plenty of rooms, upstairs and down. You're free to claim any empty room for your own."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
► -tries to scrub the fail off.- thanks for all the patience, though, life has been fucking weird D:

► WC 523

Out of instinct he back-pedalled several steps as she moved forward to collect the kill, although his manor was simply calm and observant. Savina moved with a natural grace that reminded him strongly of his mother, and it compounded any burgeoning feelings of family and belonging. Barrett was an extremely fortunate youth--everywhere he'd gone in life he'd been welcomed warmly and wholeheartedly. He was vaguely aware that some kids didn't have as much luck with their own flesh and blood, so for him to feel so comfortable within minutes of showing up on Savina's doorstep was truly momentous--and it showed. His tail swung merrily as he kept pace several feet behind the Alpha female, and his pale yellow eyes were bright and alert as he looked around the pleasant territory that was now "home."

His bantering ceased when an old building that loomed in the distance progressively began to dominate the landscape. It seemed almost out of place, set amidst the meadows and forests, and yet the multitude of scents that weaved across the walkways belied its significance as a Mecca of sorts for the wolves of Crimson Dreams. He scooted along quickly behind her as she slipped through the door and his gaze wondered across the old cupboards and dishes before settling back on his kind hostess as she began to speak. "She seems pretty cool; never saw anyone like her. Alacrity, an African Wild Dog," he explained, speaking of Anselm's mate. Having been raised around dingos, coyotes, dogs, and all sorts of hybrids, sticking out in Barrett's mind was kind of hard to pull off--maybe the same could be said for Anselm, and maybe that was part of what drew him to her.

His expression sobered as she relayed news of the war, and he offered a sombre nod to show he took her warning seriously. While Barrett could hold his own in light scraps and he was an effective hunter, he knew he couldn't realistically hold a candle to anyone who was either (a) much more experienced than he was, and/or (b) consumed by such fury. It was incomprehensible to him--Maserati's boy through and through, he'd forever be a fan of the slogan "Make Love, Not War." And then again they turned to more light-hearted matters, and, though he appreciated her offer, something in the back of his mind begged him to settle in somewhere else where it would be easier to keep a low profile. How much of his shenanigans could he possibly get away with if the whole pack was right around the corner at all times?

"I'll be sure to check it out," he piped up, "and the rest of the land, too," he added carefully; polite, yet non-committal. "Is there anything I ought to be doing, then?" he wondered, his head tipping slightly to the left. He'd always had some amount of chores to do back home, whether they involved basic repairs, gathering food, or crafting weaponry and other tools. Although he was young, he was far from useless. Playing hard always felt better when he'd gotten the work done first, anyway.

[html]

300+
<333

The first time the de le Poer man had disappeared she had felt a bit hurt that he hadn't said any form of farewell to her. Savina knew him better now though, and knew that it just wasn't really in Anselm's nature to be that sentimental. She couldn't fault him for that. Plus, no matter how far or long he wandered away, it seemed eventually he would always return back here, even if only for a brief time. At the mention of the pedigree of her friend's mate, her head cocked curiously to the side in a faint recognition. "African Wild Dog? I believe I met someone here a long time ago who was that as well. Her name was Festivity though. They do have quite the striking appearance." Savina had certainly never seen anyone or any species that even came close to compare. If her memory served though, they were certainly not built for the winter. Hopefully wherever Barrett had come from and wherever Anselm and his mate were now, it was of a warmer climate.

The Commander was relieved to see that Barrett took her warning seriously. The greatest threat upon these lands that she was aware of was the Soul monster and she wouldn't be doing her job of protecting him if she didn't inform him of the danger. The woman knew it was easy for someone his age to think themselves invincible, able to take on any challenge. There was no doubt in her mind that he could take care of himself (clearly he had on his way here), but nobody should take on that madman alone. That was the only serious warning she had to give though, and was happy for it. As long as he was vigilant and aware of the perils that lurked outside the protective pack borders, he would be safe.

Barrett was careful to be polite, but she could sense the tiniest bit of hesitance in him at the idea of staying in the manor. Savina understood, she had been wary herself of staying in the large human building when she had first come here. "You're of course welcome to settle anywhere in the lands you wish. It's a beautiful territory, plenty of fine places to rest your bones." The Italian fey was surprised, pleasantly, when he asked if there were any duties that he should attend to now that he was here. "Really just the basic things. We keep a food store in the cellar, so it's always good to contribute to that when you can. Patrolling the borders is always helpful. You can always ask the other members if they need help with something, some of them have their specialties. My brother is our carpenter, for example." To her knowledge though, everything was pretty much in order. There was nothing drastic that needed attending to.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]