This Heart's On Fire
[html]
morning time for liiiibri. 702 wc

Sleep was more uncomfortable than usual that night. The heat made her toss, the dreams made her awaken and only when she gave up and slipped out the front door of the Victorian style home was the girl able to find any relief. The white lady whom had been a near nightly visitor had been trying to break through again, but Nayru’s erratic sleep made it impossible for the dream creature to come. The frustration of seeing the familiar face appear and fade as the six month old slipped in and out of sleep was too much to handle in the house. Under the night sky, completely alone in her own head once more, Nayru felt like she could finally breathe. Breathing was her only goal, and so when she felt a safe distance from the house she collapsed into the grass, relishing in the cool greenery that held none of the day’s heat. For a long while Nayru simply concentrated on her own heartbeat, solid again the earthy soil beneath her. She could feel it in every part of her body, the pure energy pulsing through her. Life, that was the beating she felt. It did not concern her until she felt the second heartbeat.

It was only as flicker of energy that did not belong to her, passing through her body. Only a glimmer but it was enough to make the blood colored eyes open and look up, just in time to see the white lady. The placid smile on her face, the serene look in the dark navy eyes, the image was calming, and the fact that the woman who had brought her here, who lived in her dreams was standing in Dahlia de Mai did not phase her. Nayru had felt her. She was gone then and Nayru’s heart was beating harder than ever. Without even questioning why, Nayru pulled herself up on all four paws and broke into a run. And she ran and ran and ran. Her small nose worked furiously, but any faint scent the white lady had left was washed away by the breeze almost immediately, as if it had never existed in the first place. Without any idea of where to go the splotched child just ran. The four paws took her until Nayru’s small heart felt like it would burst if she did not stop, and so once again that night she allowed herself to collapse in a heap, breathing hard. Breathing at least, and not suffocating underneath the dreams that wouldn’t come.

Hours later when the sun threatened to fill the sky with it’s dazzling light, Nayru once more pulled herself up and looked around. This time no face greeted her. She was alone. Sitting there, thinking about the white lady, Nayru let it happen. She was old enough, she could her body was ready, she had been told enough to do it, or so she thought. Nayru watched as her own fur grew in length, and then her limbs, her spine, her fingertips. Everything shifted, grew, changed, and Nayru watched it all with crimson eyes, amazed rather than concerned by the popping and creaking noises her bones made as they realigned themselves in her new skin. There was no pain, just a constant sapping of energy, her bones leeching her strength. When it was over she was eager, standing up and then promptly toppling over. First steps that her parents, and no one else, would ever see.

By the time she made it back to the house the sun had peaked above the horizon, and Nayru was a little more stable on her two feet. It felt strange not to sneak through a open window or push the door with her head and steal out and in like a dog in it’s master’s home. When she opened the door she used a hand, and for a while she stared at it. It was a small had, she was small, a child still, but it was something. Two feet took her to Conor’s door, she didn’t know if he was awake or not but she knocked, and she smiled at the way she had knuckles to rap at the door. "Conor?"

[/html]
[html]

Again, sorrysorry<33 ilu

Light had started to flow, lifting the darkness up and away from his window in the attic. Eyelids were heavy and draped over glorious purple, though the dreams had left him. He was a morning bird of nature, but the mornings were slowly becoming harder to face. He could still not fathom the reason why exhaustion clung to him in such a way. Secretly, the young male feared that he was sick; that something inside him was slowly tearing him away from life. And he did not even know it. Overall the male felt fine—energy was all he seemed to lack. Some days were better than others though, and for once the male had decided to spend a few more hours in bed, drowsing peacefully on top of the double bed he had all to himself.

Then, light footsteps found their way to his door, and a gentle rap sounded at the door. Ears perked in attention and the male’s face lifted to gaze at the closed door. It was Nayru’s voice he heard. The yearling rose and stepped over to the door, opening it slowly to peek out at the young canine standing in the hallway. Eyebrows rose and he simply had to smile at the little stranger girl standing before him. ”Look at this!” she was old enough to shift now, but it was unexpected nevertheless. ”You look lovely.” His voice was fatherly, and it was with pride he observed her. The first shift could sometimes be terrifying—it most certainly had for him. ”Is this your first time?”

Table by Veronica
[/html]
[html]

The door opened slowly and Conor’s face peered out, eventually beaming at her. Nayru couldn’t help but smile back at him. There was real warmth and pride radiating from the Alpha male and Nayru was pleased that it was directed at her. For how little she got Conor all to herself, the girl had grown fond of the older male and she wished to please him. Part of her also wished for that attention, the closeness of a family that shared the same quarters. At times she could do without it, staying secluded in her room or out and about, but she always came circling back for that warmth, drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Sometimes she wanted to be engulfed in that warmth.

"It is my first time." She bowed her head demurely, proud of herself but also knowing that it was only natural that this was to happen eventually. Still a little unsteady on her two feet and tired from experiencing the shifting process for the first time her balance wavered a little. Nayru worked to right herself with muscles she was not use to using. Bracing a hand against the wall she smiled apologetically up at Conor. "I’m a bit weak from the shifting…" Was that normal? Probably, Nayru didn’t think that her reactions had been abnormal, but she still felt uneasy admitting her lack of strength to an adult who shifted with such ease.

[/html]
[html]

Having a hard time writing for conor today. please forgive the lack of awesomeness.

It was a natural thing, but the man was proud nevertheless. This especially because Nayru seemed to be on her own at the moment. The morning had yet to ripen into day, and she smelled of early morning dew. She was stable enough on her feet for him to guess that she couldn’t have caught much sleep yet. He did not particularly like the idea of the children running about in the middle of the night, but he knew he didn’t have the resources to stop them. Another thing was that the male didn’t want to restrict them too much either. He was their guardian, but not their father. To be honest the young man doubted that the lands had ever been as safe as they were now, so the likeliness for something to happen was rather low.

He nodded at her words. ”It is natural for the body to weaken when you change. It takes much of your energy.” This was something that would not change, but the male was more used to the energy drain, and so did no longer think much of it whenever he shifted between forms. Naturally he couldn’t jump too much back and forth without becoming exhausted, but it was rare for the male to shift more than a few times a day. He opened the door wider and gesticulated for the young girl to come in if she so wished. ”I see you’ve already found your balance. Most impressive. Were you up all night?” An eyebrow lifted at this question, but there was no scold in his soft voice.

Table by Veronica
[/html]
[html]

Nayru nodded as Conor explain it was normal to be weak afterwards. Probably her body would grow use to it and she would not feel the effects so acutely with practice. As Conor held the door for her Nayru entered the room, her blood colored eyes sucking in all the details as she always did whenever she was permitted to enter the privacy of others. Of course, Conor didn’t seem the type to hide anything from the others, so Nayru’s quick sweep of the room ended on his face rather than his belongings, a sweet smile still dancing across her lips. Nayru simply stood however, not sure if she should take a seat, and more so not sure that she could take a seat gracefully in her shifted form just yet.

At his question she nodded, a bit sheepishly, for she knew that Conor would have preferred her to spend her nights safely asleep in her own room. Well, she didn’t do it often and nothing had happened to her, or at least nothing bad. Nayru wouldn’t say anything about the white lady, she felt like it was private, something only for her. "I couldn’t sleep." The excuse was true, but perhaps she should have gone to Bris or Conor for comfort rather than the silence and darkness of the nighttime air. "I’m getting older though, I won’t get into any troubles in the night if you’re worried Conor." This too was true, at six months she wasn’t so vulnerable. Nayru was a child still, but one quickly growing towards her adult potential.

[/html]
[html]

3+

Nayru had never posed a problem as a child. Obviously there had been a few issues here and there, but that was how it was supposed to be. He did not scold her for roaming outside beyond his watchful gaze because he knew that she was responsible for her age. The girl was not likely to get herself into trouble, and the young male believed that she deserved to be trusted until the opposite was proved. He had grown so fond of the little girl, but she was not small any longer. She was growing up and Sweetpea and Pumpkin has yet to appear to claim their daughter. The young alpha hoped they never would, for Nayru belonged here with them now.

The girl entered the room yet remained on her feet. The male smiled calmly at her and gesticulated over to the cramped reading section in the corner of the attic. Books were stabled up in towering piles where there was room, and in the middle of it all stood a small couch, almost entirely imprisoned by literature. He sighed lightly as he moved over. There was not enough room in this house any longer. Once he had an own room for his books, but that had become a bedroom when more children moved in. At the moment he was playing with the thought of moving most of his stuff into another building. It would create more room in this home and he would have a peaceful place to retire to when he needed that.

”I understand,” he replied calmly to her words about being unable to sleep. He wondered if her mind was troubled—a classic opponent that kept dreams at bay. ”You’re right, Nayru,” he continued as she spoke the words that needed to be spoken. Was it time for him to let go of her? Would she remain a child in his eyes forever? He did not know these things. ”I just worry because I’m your guardian. I should trust you more.” At least they remained honest with each other. He was grateful for that. Parents and children were known as explosive forces at some point in the children’s lives. Or perhaps that was an issue tied uniquely to the human race. ”Are you alright?” the man asked as he took a seat on the couch. Lavender eyes followed Nayru’s young optime form, a hint of concern present.

Table by Veronica
[/html]
[html]

Conor was straightforward and kind, and the girl had never found it difficult to talk with him. As he indicated, Nayru took a seat upon the couch, her eyes passing by the titles of books she couldn’t read but one day wished to. Settled she sought the lavender eyes with her bright cherry ones, relieved that Conor seemed only concerned and not angry at her nighttime escapades. They had never been angry with one another, and truthfully, Nayru had never been angry with or angry at anyone in Dahlia de Mai. The cow colored girl was eager to please and pleasing the others she found was not difficult at all. Yet perhaps that was what was so troubling at times, for she wasn’t quite pleased with herself.

At his questions she hesitated. Was everything okay? Speaking of the white woman was out of the question, but what the white woman stood for, well she could confide that in Conor, couldn’t she? Always the white woman was directing her, guiding her, telling her how to act and think and be in her waking life. And she was never satisfied. Perhaps because Nayru was not satisfied. For a long moment she did not say anything, and when she did her voice was soft and searching, as if saying out loud her concerns made them concrete. "I don’t think I’m good enough for Dahlia de Mai, Conor. I don’t think I can give back what you guys have given me."

There it was, so very simple. Perhaps it was just adolescent insecurities, but what skills had she to offer the pack? Sure, she could be silent and thoughtful and polite, but she was never consistent. Too often she fell back into foolishness. She could be cautious and alert, but would put down her guard without a second thought. Reading and writing eluded her and she had no special knowledge to offer them. She could scout borders all day long but she would allow whoever and whatever to come and go as they pleased, if they knew the right things to say. And hunt? She didn’t even think about hunting. And she wanted to fill in all the gaps, become great like she thought Conor or Cwmfen or Bris to be, but she wasn’t them. Not close, she was just Nayru and that wasn’t very much at all.

[/html]
[html]

--

Her sudden words seemed to hit him in the face, but the inane surprise was quickly cloaked and drawn in and disguised under his skin. His immediate response wanted to smile and tell her to not be silly, but he did not take that step. He could see within her crimson eyes that she was being deadly serious; that this was something she truly felt and feared. The alpha could not fathom what could make her voice such a belief. She was growing up, becoming a young woman. These months between childhood and adulthood could inflict strange emotions that were hard to explain. The atmosphere changed, but he was glad this had come forth the way it had—he was glad that she seemed to trust him enough to entrust him with this truth.

The Soul male had carried similar fears when he was at her age. Perhaps these were natural insecurities that would pass, but he could not take it for granted. It was important to talk about these things. He did not wish for his adopted daughter (of sorts) to feel this way, for this was not true.
”Nayru,” the adult breathed gently, lilac eyes soft with a genuine veil revealing that he took the words she said now very seriously.
”Do you know why you feel this way?” He did not really wish to draw more out of her this way, but it was a question that searched for reason while he silently built up the words he wished to tell her—wished her to ensure her with. Of course she was good enough.

Table by Veronica
[/html]
[html]

Nayru did not believe Conor had any more insight than her. Indeed the girl realized that she was not looking for comfort or reassurance. No, this was a warning. Better Conor know that the girl he had taken in was not capable of very much now rather than later. Yet she had to trust his judgment and defer to him, there was some loyalty that ran deeper than the bonds of guardian and ward went. More than friends. He was her leader, and the only one she had ever had, and he control and orchestrated Dahlia de Mai. Whoever did that had her loyalties. They had her heart. And it was Conor. She would not argue with the male, she couldn’t even if she disagreed, but she would try to reason with him. To warn him.

"I have nothing to offer you. I have no skills that I foresee as being as use to Dahlia de Mai." Perhaps the worry was too old for her young age, or perhaps she judged her developing self far too critically and that was where the youthful indiscretions fit in. Certainly she was on par in the very least with her peers. Yet some part of the fairy child believed she was meant for more than mediocre. It was a lingering belief that the dream lady had instilled in her, although she did not recognize it as such.

"I will try Conor, truly, but I’m incapable of many things and I haven’t found a passion. I don’t have any specialties." And what good was she above any others if she did not have these?
[/html]
[html]

300+

He was sorry to hear such words come out of her young mouth. She was not in an age where such things should weight her down. It was a time for insecurities and thoughts though, being in the alien world between childhood and adulthood. She seemed to go hard down on herself, and thought he wished he could take a peek inside her head, he could not. Lavender eyes were thoughtful as he attempted to understand. She was wrong, but would he be able to convince her?

He could tell her that she was still young, that she would eventually find an interest and ways to assist the packs, but he didn’t know if that was the sort of parental speech she would want. ”I believe otherwise,” he gently pushed, deciding only to speak from his heart. He believed the young woman was missing out on the larger picture here. ”You make every day richer for those around you. You have helped Gideon so much after he arrived. That means more than you may think. I do not believe that a lack of practical skills weakens your value as a member, Nayru. By confiding in me like you did now, you show that you are a responsible soul and devoted to the pack. No one can ask more from you.”

The man was not wrapping his facts in sugar before serving. He wanted her to know that she was appreciated and valued just as everyone else. ”You are kind and considerate and you are a part of the team that makes Dahlia the the home that I love.” Skills and specialties would come eventually. The young leader believed that every creature possessed strength in some way. It was strange to hear of Nayru’s pessimistic thoughts when she possessed such a rich, golden soul.

<style>
.conor-z91 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.conor-z91 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.conor-z91 b {color:#E3B7EA; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.conor-z91 {background-color:#573450; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010j ... orgift.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:262px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #E3B7EA; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#1B0C18; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; }
.conor-z91-border {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>
Table by Siekone
[/html]
[html]

His words were warm and compassionate, but sincere. Nayru knew that Conor valued her, but did he value her as a member of Dahlia or simply as one of his many wards that he was too kind not to love? If she were to leave Nayru still doubted that it would be a big loss to Dahlia de Mai and for this she was very sorry, even if Conor would grieve her for a time. Yet she could not continue to argue with the leader of Dahlia and so she simply bowed her head in acceptance. She would take the suck the words in, slowly digest them, hopefully believing them in time. For now all the patch work girl could do was mumble in her soft voice words of assent.

"Yes Conor. Thank you." Yet inside there was something that hardened. A sort of resolve. There was room for improvement and Nayru would improve. She would excel. One day she would look Conor in the eye and tell him that now she was worthy, and he would understand how far she had come. Some day. Yet for now she simply stood before him, unsure of what more to do now that he had quelled her insecurities.

"I am devoted to Dahlia de Mai. More than anything else. And I will make you proud of me Conor. Prouder than you are now. I promise." He hadn’t asked for a promise, but once her word was given there was no turning back, and perhaps it was to herself more than anything that she made such a commitment for perfection.

[/html]
[html]

The end! Big Grin

He hoped she would believe him. His warm gaze lingered on her young face, but there was little he could do. However, Nayru was very mature for her age, and she would find her way eventually. She thanked him, and he resisted the urge to stroke her messed up mane. No longer his little girl. It was wonderful for her to have goals set for the future, and the male had barely thought this thought before her voice rose again. Ears perked in consideration. He then nodded, accepting this promise. He would not hold her to it, but he was impressed with her. The young leader was proud of this young woman already, but he accepted her need to retrieve recognition on her own terms.

”Thank you, it means a lot to me.” and it did. She was more than worthy of Dahlia de Mai, and the words she had just spoken were a brilliant example of her general dedication. Her soul was good and pure and this would not change.

<style>
.conor-z91 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.conor-z91 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.conor-z91 b {color:#E3B7EA; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.conor-z91 {background-color:#573450; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010j ... orgift.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:262px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #E3B7EA; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#1B0C18; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; }
.conor-z91-border {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>
Table by Siekone
[/html]