[j] chapter three
Name: Fennel "Peanut" Calendula
Birthday: 29 May 2007
Luperci: Yes
Species: Coyote/wolf hybrid
Secondary Contact: cabinetkitten
Current Characters: None
How'd I find Souls? Well, I've been off and on this board since 2003, I think? Tongue

Oh, and sorry this got so godawful long. I don't usually write this much, so don't feel obligated to match!

[html]

Fennel "Peanut" Calendula was starting a new chapter in her life. Of course, she wouldn't be starting it alone. Clover, her longtime pony companion, was right here with her and would be for as long as they both remained alive. In fact, it was far more likely that Clover would find a new owner by the time Peanut was long gone. But that was depressing to think about, and Peanut had no intentions of leaving her pony behind. The hybrid had heard of a place called AniWaya, and from what she had heard, it seemed like a place where she would be well protected. She hadn't left him a single word, and every day she worried that he would come after her.

Traveling along the northwestern coast, she eventually found her way to the break in the barbed-wire. Right where the other wanderer had said it would be. Glancing back past Clover, which had become quite a nervous habit for Clover, she assured herself that no, Tonic wasn't right behind her. Peanut had made much of the journey in her bipedal form, having preferred it for the last two years. In fact, she couldn't remember the last time she had been on all fours. Traveling constantly with Tonic and the two ponies had clearly made her forget a thing or two about how some others preferred to live.

Clover carried most of the supplies, while Peanut kept the small leather satchel with her at all times. It contained very little, but was essential to her mental well being. Inside the worn leather pouch was flint, a couple of arrowheads, a small jade precious stone given to her by her mother and a few other knick-knacks she'd picked up along the way. Clover carried everything else, slung across his back in an old saddlebag she'd bought from a trader some time ago. It contained some sparse bedding, dried meat for snacking, a few books and the few clothes she wore when the weather grew colder. Not that she necessarily needed them, but there was something comforting about wrapping up in a wool blanket on a cold winter night.

Not wanting to wimp-out on her decision, and knowing that Tonic could be as little as a few days behind her, Peanut lifted her chin and howled into the twilight sky. Once her voice had dissipated, she turned back to watch Clover contentedly munching on the grass. That alone brought a smile to her face.

[/html]
[html]

Hi there, welcome! Big Grin Loving your table; so simple but pretty. And no worries about the length; gave me a challenge Wink

He wasn't certain if it was the chill of autumn. It brushed up next to him as if flaunting in his face that soon, soon came winter. Soon, it would be a lot colder, and his puny pelt would not hold the cold out. Soon, the food would be scarcer and he would worry for everyone's safety, worry for the livestock and any puppies or Elders. Still, the Chief clung to the relative warmth of this season, trying as best he could to look at the present, while knowing all too well that if anyone in this tribe should look forward, it was himself. He, of all of them, should be prepared. If he wasn't, how could they be? And what would they do if crisis struck? And so, his nimble fingers were put to work as he feverishly avoided facing the reason behind his late activities, and how he would soon run out of cloth. He sometimes found salvageable cloth from ages long gone, but most of the time he had to produce the crude stuff himself. And it was no easy task, either. Luckily, his tutor had once taught him how to go about making simple bandage-cloth, and Dawali never forgot to send him a thankful thought as he enjoyed the heat of a crude carpet. They piled up around him now, in his hut. One for each of them; for winter.

He put the cloth down and rose at her call (for it was evident from the sound of her that she was no male), not really wondering what she sought. So many had come to their borders lately, some of them weary and in bad health, some of them in need of a home, and some quite capable travelers whose ability to contribute Dawali did not doubt even for a second. He strode along familiar paths on two legs as he wondered which type she would be, feathers and beads in his mane making soft and sharp noises as they collided with each other in the air that brushed past his face. He kept his yellow gaze ahead, and spotted her with ease as he approached the borders, where the tree-line was broken and the field was under open sky. She brought a little horse, too; good. The more that were able with horses, the less Dawali might have to do. He greeted her with a lifted arm as he drew nearer, and spoke only once close enough to comfortably do so. "Greetings! You're looking at AniWaya, behind me here, and I'm the Chief—" he extended a hand; a gesture he had learned from the many newcomers that sought a place in their family. "—I go by Dawali."

[/html]
[html]

It didn't take long for the call to be answered, and although she was dreading the meeting slightly when she realized the one to greet her would be a male, his overtly friendly demeanor soothed her nerves for the time being. Patting Clover twice on the head (which he seemed none to pleased about), Peanut turned to the Chief who had extended a hand in greeting. She took it, shook once, and drew her arm back to herself. It was hard for her to not be terribly awkward, and she hoped that she wasn’t making a bad impression the first time around.

"I am Fennel Calendula, though others tend to call me Peanut." It was a little bit goofy, but she didn't think she would ever rid herself of that nickname. "That's Clover. I hope he will not be a problem, as I wish to seek a home in AniWaya." Her voice was soft, but audible. She knew that coming across as weak would probably not bode well for her here or anywhere else. The various feathers and beads she had noticed right away, and wondered why he chose to wear them. Perhaps for the same reason she chose to carry around the jade stone her mother had given her—sentimental value.

[/html]
[html]

For the references on small horses; Dawali's never seen a pony before Wink

Her names, all of them, were strange to him. Even her nickname— Peanut? Dawali didn't know what a peanut was, but to him all her names were equally strange. In his own tribe, everyone's names had meant something to them, and described them somehow. His own name was — to him — a strange gust from the future, given to him when no indication of his future rank would be. It read "Eagle feather", as if his parents had somehow known he would be a Chief, the only rank in a tribe allowed to decorate their mane with the feathers of the sacred bird. But he knew none of the words that Peanut's name was comprised of, and that was strange, to him. He nodded nonetheless as she spoke, and sent the small horse a glance, studying it. For its small stature, it looked quite able, and with Peanut in firm control of it. Some horses got scared when strangers approached them, but this one seemed quite calm.
"I see. Your horse won't be a problem; we have a stable with room for him among our own, or you can keep him wherever you want." He paused and glanced at the creature again, wondering if its size was nature's flaw, and what other potential problems that might bring with it, if it was the case. "We certainly have room for you, though I will need to know how you can contribute to our family. Do you have any abilities we might find useful?"

[/html]
[html]

She hadn't expected Clover to be a problem, and she was glad to hear that the chief felt the same way. Peanut was ready for the questions that were going to be asked of her: why would anybody be willing to take her in, what value did she have compared to anybody else who came knocking on their metaphorical door. “I trained Clover myself to be both a pack pony and a ridable beast, though I rarely use him for the second. If any of your horses need guidance, I’d be more than happy to help train them. I also...” she trailed of, turning to rummage through one of Clover’s saddle bags before pulling out a handful of dried meat, which she offered to the chief. “...can make this, which will last for months if you keep it out of the heat and moisture.”

While she had other abilities, she hesitated a moment before mentioning them, if only because she wasn’t quite as confident about them. “I know of archery, although I wouldn’t say I’m anything of an expert. I haven’t touched a bow in a few weeks; it was left at my former home.” It had always been Tonic’s bow, and she had no intention of making him any more angry that he already would be now that she’d left him.

[/html]
[html]

And there we go! Smile One more reply and you're in.

The Chief listened intently as she responded, curious when she started to look through her bags for something. He dried meat himself, to keep for the winter (who knew how often they could bring anything back from a hunt when their prey was so scarce), and having another one to help him would be a relief. He had considered teaching some of the others in the Tribe, but he wondered who would be interested in such a tedious task, and ended up doing it by himself instead. Just one more set of hands would probably help immensely, for winter was approaching and they had many mouths that would need to be fed. "Very well — your skills are diverse, and I'm certain you'll fit in somewhere. We have a spot open in the stables, tending and training the other horses, if you are interested in making that your primary tasks in the tribe," he offered. If she wanted to tend the animals, they would be three, and the training of the horses might become a bit less unstable, hopefully producing some that could serve well in hunts. Or war, if that need arose. "I'll be heading back— I can lead you to the Village, if you want."

[/html]
Danke!

[html]

Glancing over her shoulder once more to check that Tonic wasn't on her tail, she returned her gaze to Dawali and nodded. "Sure," she replied to his offer. Peanut made no comment on what her primary task would be, if only because she hadn't fully decided on what she wanted to do here just yet. She would need to get settled in first, and then she could focus on deciding what she wanted to do. Not only that, but she still worried that Tonic might be tailing her, and it would be a few weeks before she could convince herself that he wasn't around every corner waiting for her.

Picking up Clover's lead rope, she beckoned for him to follow Dawali and herself to the Village. Tonight would be spent trying to find a place to sleep (wherever that may be), and learn more about her new home.

[/html]
Welcome to 'Souls!

Congratulations! You've been accepted into the craziest bunch of roleplayers on the vast Internet! Please remember to make your first In Character post within five days.

Not sure where or how to start roleplaying? You can check the Open Threads and Thread Requests forum for a list of open threads, as well as tons of people looking to plot out adventures with your new character! You can also start your own thread and see what kinds of interesting characters turn up for you. If you haven't already, please update your profile with detailed information on your character -- it'll help others get a feel for him/her, which in turn will help generate thread ideas.

You can also start doing other cool things like:

• Earning Word of the Day points, which can get you custom titles and even icons!
  • Fulling requirements for the Catacombs, our IC and OOC achievement system.
  • Participate in general chats and discussions in OOC Garbage.

You can find general roleplay help and guidelines, as well as a wealth of information on our werewolves and the 'Soulsverse on the RP Guide. Don't feel pressured to read it all at once though! The guide is a huge resource and is meant to be used as a reference for various aspects of the game. If you're feeling lost or confused, don't hesitate to post a question in Roleplay Related, or to seek out a Mentor.