The Blind Can See
[html]

Located waaaay far away from the territory line of the pack in the Serena Reserve outside of the Aniwaya Packlands, so as to not cause any trespassing issues. Dated September 20, 2010

It was quiet in the forest, or it would have been to a human if they were still around to walk through them. In reality, the forest was alive with activity. The birds sang to each other, flittering from branch to branch as they greeted each other. An owl hooted angrily as a bird got too close and woke him up, rustling up huge gusts of leaves as it took off to find a quieter tree to sleep in. Deer grazed on low hanging branches and small patches of moss growing on the ground. Rabbits hopped along, munching on whatever they could find. It was peaceful to any who passed through here, though even more so for the white wolf currently taking his first steps through this strange new land.

The going had been slow because he had gotten tired of running into trees and rocks, surprise dives into ponds, and the dreaded thorn bushes. It had been days, months even, but still he knew he must keep going. One paw in front of the other, leading him past unseen and unknown landmarks and strange new lands. Traveling for miles in a world of darkness, permanent to his eyes but not to his heart. His ears constantly swiveled, his whiskers twitched, his nose wrinkled, all giving him constant information about his surroundings. He had learned these things not long ago, but all ready they were ingrained in him as deep as instinct, a survival instinct given to only those who were as he was...blind.

As he stepped over a particularly pointed stone, he remembered what she had said to him that fateful day so long ago. "Go north, Kemo, and you will find what you are seeking." That was the last thing he had heard from the one who had saved his life. The one wolf he trusted outside of himself, for he had no idea what had happened to his family. He stopped for a moment, sitting back on his haunches to take in the surroundings around him. The world has changed, it seems. He thought to himself as he listened to the sounds of the forest. That was a blessing the bear had given him along with his blindness. The world to him was an ever changing infinity, no longer confined to what images his eyes gave to his mind. The world could look any way he wanted, be any time he wanted, any where he wanted. He chuckled at that, though he felt sorrow for all those who couldn't share his perception of the world. "Fate is cruel, though mine must be a curse." He stood and shook out his fur, setting out to continue on his journey again, not realizing he had arrived at his destination just after the pointed stone.

Kemo "talks", walks, and thinks.

<style type="text/css">
.kemoforest-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#7f7a5b; letter-spacing:1px; }
.kemoforest-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.kemoforest-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.kemoforest-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:370px; background-color:#121212; background-image:url(http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8206/souls43.png); background-position:top center;
background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px double #000000; padding: 350px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: cambria, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#c0c0c0; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

Nice integration of the owl Tongue Note for everyone: Ralla's being a Secret Santa without even knowing XD

It was only a day after Ralla had returned from her journey. Today was the day she'd go around leaving the gifts she found for Chief Dawali, Liliana, Aithne, and Susquehanna. For her Chief she had found many crow feathers and secured them at intervals to a beaded necklace of bright red orbs. For Liliana there had been what she supposed was once a Long Gone child's toy in the shape of a horse. It was chipped in some places and its paint was worn, but Ralla thought it a fitting gift nonetheless. For Aithne she had found little, shiny blue jems hidden in a box in a Long Gone home that had fastenings at the backs akin to what she wore on her own ears. Earrings... And for Susquehanna she had brought back a knife. It was dull from years of misuse, but the handle was ornately carved wood in the shapes of vines and a single rose near the end. Surely the black wolfess who had two knives already had the means to sharpen a third?

All of this was carried in a satchel that she had also found--the same one she had added to the saddlebags on her borrowed horse, Sugar, for the journey--as she went out to Serena Reserve to begin her duties that she promised herself she would work even harder at when she returned. On her back was the woodstock carrier, secured firmly over her shoulders like a backpack, and in her free hand the small axe to gather dead wood. The reserve was surprisingly active this day for fall, and Ralla supposed it was because the animals were gathering their last stores of food for the winter. Something we must all do soon, again, I think. With the influx of sudden arrivals in the tribe, the need for food was more dire than ever. A new arrival herself, but a month or so ago, she understood this well enough.

Ralla had gathered a half-stock of dry wood before she smelled an unfamiliar scent. The possibility of intruder flashed through her mind, but if he or she was bigger than Ralla, she didn't stand a chance. Maybe with the axe... Yes, definatly. It was a morbid thought, even to her. But when it came to do or die, even she wouldn't use the axe unless it were that needful. Thankfully, the territory borders were fading quick, and Ralla hoped the stranger was outside of their lines. Jumping into the trees, she shed the woodstock carrier and satchel and left them there for safekeeping as she jumped nimbly through the red and brown branches, high in the trees, to follow the scent of the stranger. When she passed over the territory marker, she felt relief that it was not an intruder; merely a close-keeping stranger.

Coming upon the stranger, Ralla was fascinated to see a large, lupus form, white wolf--perhaps even taller than her in lupus form--padding slowly through the undergrowth. She kept very still in the tree, almost certain that he would notice her scent if he kept coming on as he did. The things that most caught her attention were the obvious scars crossing over his face and the odd-shaped mark on his chest that she only glimpsed before he came too close and his chest was hidden. To her, it had appeared like...a crescent moon.

It couldn't be... Could it...? She shook that thought from her mind. Yes, she thought she had seen a crescent moon on his chest, but it was different from the one on her forehead. And Shamans from the Moon Tribe marked their foreheads, not their chests. AND what would a Moon Tribe wolf be doing so far out here? Alright, yes, she was there, but she had...reasons... But it was a sign she could not ignore about the stranger. The crescent moon meant wishes and, in her case, home...

Moon walks. "Moon talks." Moon thinks.

<style type="text/css">
.rallagift b {font-weight:bold; color:#F8F6F3; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.rallagift-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:verdana, serif; font-size:10px; color:#F8F6F3; text-align:right; }
.rallagift p {text-indent:30px; padding:5px 8px; margin:0px;}
.rallagift {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#040303; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... astars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:11px; color:#C66A26; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]

[Image: RallaP-1.png]
[html]

OOC:

The forest seemed to welcome him openly, despite him being a complete stranger in this land. He knew animals were usually afraid of his kind, but as far as he could tell they didn't seem to hasten themselves much, though he did hear something move in a tree up ahead. Could that mean there were more wolves nearby? Perhaps living here so long the animals were used to their presence? The thought excited him, tail wagging slightly but knowing there was still the possibility this pack would be hostile, turning him away from their lands or worse, causing him harm or death.

He dismissed that last thought, knowing there was only a small chance that it would happen to him. There's just as much a chance that they will be friendly. Maybe they'll accept me with open- He stopped suddenly as a slight breeze picked up, bringing along with it to his sensitive nose a scent, different from the usual scents of the forest around him. He stared around blindly, sniffing gently at the air, ears swiveling all over the place to try and pinpoint where this scent had come from. Could it be hostile? Part of the pack near here? This was one of those times that he cursed his blindness, his pup like excitement at the prospect of meeting a new pack making him forget the most crucial part of traveling, checking for scent markers so he wouldn't accidentally trespass on another's packlands. He was convinced that was what he had done.

"Is someone there? I did not mean to cross into your territory, I merely seek the land known as Nova Scotia. Please don't be offended that I passed into your territory unannounced, if you want I will turn back and find a different route to the north." After several seconds with no response from the stranger, his ears drooped slightly as he turned to head back. He doubted he would be able to find another route to the north, but maybe if he followed his scent back to where he was before, he would get lucky and be back on his way. It was a shame, he had thought he had found a home at last, but he knew he shouldn't get his hopes up. Back on the journey again, I suppose.

Kemo ”talks”, walks, and thinks.

<style type="text/css">
.kemoforest-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.kemoforest-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:370px; background-color:#121212; background-image:url(http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/8206/souls43.png); background-position:top center;
background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px double #000000; padding: 350px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: cambria, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#c0c0c0; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

Miscalculation! Miscaluculation malfunction! D:

"Is someone there? I did not mean to cross into your territory, I merely seek the land known as Nova Scotia. Please don't be offended that I passed into your territory unannounced, if you want I will turn back and find a different route to the north." Hearing these words made Ralla's ears perk forwards with rapt attention. The possibilities, the mere thought of her suspicions being true terrified and excited the wolfess beyond comprehension. Too late did she realize that her quiet musings had given the strange wolf the wrong impression. "Wait!" Hearing his words and being the ever-trusting wolf, Ralla stuck the axe into the branch she was currently on, bounded forward a few more branches after the new wolf to a low-hanging one, and then dropped so her face was only about a foot away from his. Her unusually long limbs permitted that she could hang to his level, even if her main body were normal sized. The tooth and claw necklace around her throat dangled off to the side of her face as she stared into the eyes of the new wolf.

Pale, pale white. He's...blind.

At this height, she could clearly see the mark on his chest. It was not a brand--too blurred, too smudged in with his white fur--but it sent her heart racing. Crescent moon marks did not just randomly appear on any wolf. The reason why the Shamans marked their forehead with the mark was because they believed it allowed their minds and eyes to be more open to the world around and the moon above. This mark appearing on a wolf... He is chosen.

To be chosen, in Ralla's old tribe, was to be great. It meant that the bearer of the natural mark was a great warrior, or perhaps a great scholar. Only one other, in Ralla's knowledge, had been born with the mark, and he was one of the Moon Tribe's greatest cave-painters. He had been of the Blue Moon Pack, and the cave in which he lived had depicted the wars between the packs and the tribe as a whole. None could match his skill.

"This is Nova Scotia, stranger. You are near the AniWaya territory lines, not over. Be not afraid." Once more, Ralla's formalities showed through. Her eyes were wide, but unlike the other times she was faced with authority or strangers, she felt no need to show an outward appearance of feigned confidence, and so they pupils remained dilated instead of small. "What is it you seek?"

<style type="text/css">
.rallagift-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:verdana, serif; font-size:10px; color:#F8F6F3; text-align:right; }
.rallagift {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#040303; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... astars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:11px; color:#C66A26; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]

[html]

OOC

As he followed his scent back the way he had come, a thought suddenly occurred to him. Why had the stranger not said a word to him? Not even so much as a snuff or a growl in his direction. He supposed he had really gotten lucky this time. Maybe that stranger was Alpha of the pack in this area and decided to let me be. They knew I made a mistake and because of my injury they decided to just let me go on my way. It looks like that wouldn't be the end of it, however.

"Wait!" It came out of nowhere and caused him to jump a little. The trees rustled above him and he stopped just as he realized something was directly in front of him, based on how close the sound of breathing was, along with a rapidly beating heart. It was that same scent that filled his nostrils now, and he could tell this was a wolf, one he had never met before. The odd thing was, the wolf's scent brought a strange but slight sensation of deja vu. He could feel the wolf staring at him.

"This is Nova Scotia, stranger. You are near the AniWaya territory lines, not over. Be not afraid." His ears perked up as she said the words, his body language relaxed slightly, for he could feel the soothing in her words. I don't recognize the sound of her voice, so what was up with the deja vu? He took just a moment to commit her scent to memory before he finally spoke. "A pleasure to meet you Miss." He bowed his head to her.

"My name is Kemo and as I said I am seeking the lands of Nova Scotia. You say I have found them, and I am near the AniWaya territories? It is good that I have not passed over the territory line, for that would have been a grave mistake. As for what I am seeking...for right now I would like to find a nice out of the way area to den in. I was told to travel here for information on my pack and my mother and father. It's quite a long story and I don't wish to take any time from you. I'm sure you have important pack duties that I am keeping you from, but may I ask you a favor? Would you help me find a place that I can call my own, for now? It would be a great help."

All the while he was talking, he had a strange feeling that she was staring at him, though he supposed who wouldn't stare at a blind wolf who was still so young and still alive?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

When the wolf bowed his head, Ralla unconsciously bowed hers out of politeness, though since he was blind she didn't think he'd notice the gesture at all. "Ralla, she corrected him with a smile. Over and over she told herself that gestures were meaningless, but movements and the like are so ingrained into the mind from birth that they don't stop, even if one realizes their uselessness. "Just Ralla, please."

Ralla listened intently to his explanation and nodded every so often if not only to assure herself that she understood. She could not shake the sign on his chest, but for the moment, she opted to ignore it for more pressing matters. "A den you say...? Hm..." She herself didn't know of any safe caves around the area, but she did know of the trees. More specifically, the red oak back in the pack lands. Then the idea struck her. "I'm sorry, I don't know of any safe caves not already occupied around the area. But there's a large red oak tree back in AniWaya that I'm planning on building a few huts in. I've already offered up some of the space to a friend of mine, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind sharing until we got the next hut up." She realized she was offering to share her home with a virtual stranger. She knew that it was a stupid move that she as a Shaman would've normally advised against would she have been the real Shaman of her pack. But the wolf in front of her, Kemo, appeared not that much older than she, and his obvious disability reached out to the caring instincts in Ralla. On the other hand, he would be her responsibility should anything happen in the territory, and she just couldn't open up one of the empty huts without him joining or without Chief Dawali's consent... Then again, she also realized she was asking a lot of trust from Kemo.

"If you don't want to, I'm sorry to say I am a little pressed for time... Normally I would help, but I promised myself to work extra hard lately... I know!" The thought struck her like lightening. "Come back to the village with me! I'll ask the Great Fire!" The first time the fire had given Ralla guidance she had dismissed it as the spiritual energies surrounding it, she supposed. The second time, she marked it off to the voice of the moon speaking through the fire. But lately, even during the day, the images twirled and fell in tandem, and Ralla wanted to see, to know, if she could consult the Great Fire as she did the stars and moon. "I just need to deliver the firewood and wash the ceremonial stone ground today. Afterwards, I have some free time." Dropping from the branch, Ralla came to land on all fours. To anyone else she would've looked especially awkward as she stood on all fours in optime form on gangly limbs, and she would've been more self-conscious if anyone else were watching. Not only had the crescent moon mark given her something to ponder, but Kemo's attitude just gave off that friendly vibe. It was all very surreal.

<style type="text/css"> .ral b {font-weight:bold; color:#6e72eb; letter-spacing:1px; } .ral .ooc { font-style:italic; color:#898c99; padding-top:500px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;} .ral p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; color: #4f52a6} .ral {margin:0 auto; width:374px; background-color:#1f2b55; background-image:url(http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... /ralla.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#0F475F; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>
Table by Lou!
[/html]

[html]

OOC

"Ralla...what a beautiful name, if you don't mind me saying so." He smiled. "In correction then, a pleasure to meet you, Ralla." He listened to the way her heart seemed to change beats every so often, faster, then slower, as if she was under a lot of stress at the moment, or she was excited perhaps. He almost didn't catch what she had said, then it hit him like a ton of bricks. His mouth fell open slightly as he stared at her, trying to pass off what he had heard as foolish hope.

"Pardon me, but did you just offer me a place in your home? You would take a stranger whom you have just met into your home without so much as an insult in my direction? I have to say there have been none in this world kinder than you, but I can't put that much responsibility on you. I know you mean well, but I'm sure the Alphas wouldn't be too happy with you letting a stranger onto their lands, let alone live among them. I think it would be best for me to stay out here in the neutral lands. I have no problem with sleeping under the stars, though that is kind of a moot point." He laughed. "I will however, follow you to your Great Fire and will help you collect firewood in return for your kindness. I thank you kindly, Ralla, for all that you have offered me."

He smiled again as he finished speaking, reminding himself that if worst comes to worst, he could dig a den somewhere around here. He was sure the Alphas wouldn't mind as long as he made it away from the territory lines and kept himself out of their way. The excitement of meeting a new pack had once again resurfaced at that point and, forgetting that he was blind merely for a moment as puppies could do, he turned and smacked the side of his head against a low hanging branch. He shook his head slightly, slightly embarrassed, then realized what he was doing. "Would you do me the honor of leading me? As you can see I have trouble in new places where I don't know where everything is at, and firewood doesn't make much noise for me to find it."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

Love the branch bit; made me lol, too Tongue By the way, the name meanings posted here are actually pretty close to actual meanings -w- 'Tunic' is changed to 'fur', but Kemo does mean 'friend' :3 But jeez, we're just going back and forth with this thread @_@

Ralla could not help but unchararistically blush when Kemo called her name so. It was not a particularily glamorous name, and actually meant 'fine fur', and she was so named for her white pelt. How peculiar that the stranger's name would mean 'friend'. It was almost comical to see his jaw drop open after she offered her whole schpeal about coming back to AniWaya territory, and then his words made her blush so much more that she was thankful for his blindness.

"Thank you for the complement, but I would be lying if I said I didn't have my own personal reasons. Loneliness is...a cruel thing for me." Lost for a moment in her own thoughts, Ralla remembered that first day of initiation to becoming a Shaman. A few of the elders had blindfolded her to keep her from anticipating what was coming as two others calmly held her arms. Little had she known how hard those arms would clamp down when she had cried out in pain; the searing burn on her forehead the only thing she could perceive behind the darkness. And then the next day, that awful realization that she could never speak normally or be with anyone after... She supposed that that was why she was so open, after she came to Nova Scotia. She had been unable to leave Aithne alone on her first day, and she felt so attatched to those she already knew, even if they weren't as close as family or personal friends.

"That aside, I would be delighted for you to come back. And I'm sure if we asked around we could find some spare supplies." Even with that said, winter months were hard for food, but the sparing of maybe a tarp for a blanket? Surely they could spare one... When he thanked her, she shook her head and smiled. "Mm-mm; anytime. No one should be left to fend for themselves when there is someone available to help them. And thank you; I could use the help." When Kemo smiled, Ralla smiled back. And then a 'thunk' reverberated through her ears when he turned his head to pivot. Blinking a few times, Ralla had to stifle a laugh as her shoulders shook a little. It was mean, yes, but she couldn't help it.

"Come on," she said after quickly climbing the tree to fetch her axe before rejoining Kemo on the ground, walking a few steps ahead. He's gotten this far, and he reacts to sound. He should be able to follow me... "If you carry, I'll gather. Ah! Speaking of..." A crucial part of her previous words struck heavy on her. "Are you a luperci?" She was so used to most of her aquaintances being lupercis that she often forgot that not everyone was. Like Belle. There was nothing wrong with being a non-luperci, Ralla just often forgot.

<style type="text/css"> .ral b {font-weight:bold; color:#6e72eb; letter-spacing:1px; } .ral .ooc { font-style:italic; color:#898c99; padding-top:500px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;} .ral p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; color: #4f52a6} .ral {margin:0 auto; width:374px; background-color:#1f2b55; background-image:url(http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... /ralla.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#0F475F; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>
Table by Lou!
[/html]

[html]

OOC: I didn't know Kemo meant friend...I guess you do learn something new everyday Big Grin And yes, I love the awesome back and forth posts Big Grin reverberated...that sounds so cool

As he heard her say it, it reverberated through his mind. "Loneliness is... a cruel thing for me." Oh how he could understand that. After his injury, the only other wolf he had known had been Aunty, the one who saved his life and sent him here. He had no idea what happened to his mother and father or his pack, and Aunty had simply disappeared after she had told him where to go. So ever since the day he had left Aunty behind, he had been alone, left with only his own thoughts and the familiar darkness to keep him company.

He now knew that he trusted this wolfess, his first new friend in a brand new chapter of his life. "You are very welcome Ralla and I am glad to help. It is the least I can do for all that you have offered me." His ears perked up at the sound of her trying to stifle a laugh, but he showed no sign that he had noticed. He waited for her as she, jumped up into a tree? That's what it had sounded like to him. He had heard of wolves climbing trees before, but she seemed to almost jump up into them. How tall were these trees?

A loud thump, much too loud for a wolf to make, followed by her saying "Come on.", interrupted his thoughts and he started after her, stopping only to pick up a long stick he had felt on the ground with his paw, half carrying, half dragging it along behind him with his teeth as he listened to the odd sounds her gait made. It was strange. She only makes two beats for every step. I wonder why that is? This is very strange indeed. He knew she was a wolf as her scent had that identifying wolfy scent mixed in with her own unique scent, but what wolf walks with such a strange gait? Her words were a gentle buzz in his ears until she asked the question which caused him to stop, dropping the stick with a clatter, rooted to the spot with his head tilted to the side in a confused but curious way.

"A luperci? What is that?"

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

The plot thickens! >Big Grin

Ralla had been expecting a simple yes or no. But when silence greeted her for a few moments, she turned around to see Kemo stock still. "A luperci? What is that?" The question stunned her, but she supposed he wouldn't know if he were blind. But... He never even heard of them...? "You've never heard of a luperci...? Well, we..." Finding the words to explain were hard, but Ralla turned to face Kemo fully, she herself standing still. The word had seemed to catch his attention, and Ralla was worried if she had scared him with it. She remembered when she had first learned to shift. It was natural--something she was born knowing to do--but it frightened her that not everyone could do it. It had made her feel more singled out than she had wanted to be. And then she had learned that, despite it being the Long Gone's fault, it was a gift; a path to different technologies once unknown to their ancient tribe.

"We are able to shift from a normal wolf form to a two-legged form. I'm told the Long Gones also walked on two legs, but I've never seen them. My father used to tell me that you were born being able to do it, or you could learn." Kemo's head posture told Ralla he was merely curious now, so she relaxed again. "I'm actually in luperci form right now." Walking slowly, purposefully loud so he could hear her, she picked up the stick he had dropped and continued to walk back to where she had left her pack and woodstock carrier, every so often turning around to make sure Kemo was following.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]

[html]

OOC: Indeed Big Grin

Kemo listened carefully, fully aware that she had used the word "we" instead of "they". So she was a luperci then, but what was it? Some kind of Wolf hybrid? He had heard of stories passed through the pack in the days before his injury about wolves that walked on their hind legs, their forepaws changed to be able to lift and carry objects without using their teeth. They were huge powerful creatures, stuff of legend, and Kemo had merely passed it off as myth. Could it be possible that he was wrong?

"We are able to shift from a normal wolf form to a two-legged form. I'm told the Long Gones also walked on two legs, but I've never seen them. My father used to tell me that you were born being able to do it, or you could learn." That settled it. The stories were true and he was in the presence of one at this moment, though she didn't seem like a bloodthirsty monster to him. "I'm actually in luperci form right now." So that explained the odd sounds her steps made, and the tree climbing ability, as well as the fact that her words seemed to be coming from slightly above him, rather than directly in front of him.

He heard her walking toward him, his ears dropping back a bit as he wasn't sure what she was going to do, but he relaxed as he heard a stick clattering on the ground then her steps walking away from him. I don't think I need to be afraid. She seems like a nice wolfess to me, and she has offered me a place to stay, food, and company. There's something odd about her as well, I feel as if it's the right thing to do to trust her. With that last thought, he shook all thoughts of fear and doubt from his mind as he followed her along, listening to the wonderfully unique sound her steps made. He was sorry that he could never see a Luperci form with his own eyes, but his imagination made up for that as he heard her jump up into a tree then that loud thump again. As she started walking again, this time with a strange noise to accompany her steps, he followed once again without hesitation. "I trust you, Ralla." He said with a smile. Then something she had said earlier had hit him. "Who were the Long Gones? Were they another pack somewhere near here?" There were no stories about them that he had heard.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

With Kemo following her, Ralla felt better knowing she had not completely shocked him. When he said that he trusted her, she couldn't help but laugh a little. "Thank you for that. It's rare these days that wolves can trust each other so openly. But I have no reason to fight with anyone, so I don't go picking them. Here," she said as she held up the satchel containing the gifts she wanted to give to everyone. "If you hold this, I can get the firewood collecting done faster." Gently, she slipped the strap over Kemo's head and tightened it so it was loose but did not constrict his throat; rather, it hung resting on his shoulder. As she went to pick up some kindling wood, she heard his question and turned to look at him over her shoulder.

"Now there's a story. It's an old legend in our tribe, even if the ending in fairly new. It is said that once, thousands of years ago, Long Gones and wolves were friends. The moon had sent wolves to be the guardians of the Long Gones, and we hunted and protected them. But the Long Gones soon lost their purpose, and the moon forsook them. So it granted wolves, instead, the ability of the Long Gones, and the Long Gones soon died out. Not every wolf has the ability, but the moon is forgiving, and gives it to all who have the resolve to learn shifting. I've heard other names for the Long Gones, but 'man' was most prominant." While still talking, she began to swing the axe at a fallen log nearby. While light in weight, the axe was sharp, and so it suited Ralla's strength threshhold. The log was long dead anyway, but not to the point of moist decomposition. It would make good firewood, and not just the kindling sticks Ralla had found earlier. When she was done with the log, she thought it would be enough to bring back for her third outing that day. And then she could attend to her other duties. While working to get closer to the Great Fire was the carrot being dangled in front of her face, there was no doubt it was tiring work.

"Long Gones left behind so many things... Before I came here, I never even saw cars. They're like big, hulking masses of metal that don't work anymore. There's shattered glass on their fronts and weird-smelling wheels on them. I actually found one a few days ago. It had some broken pieces of bottle in it, so I decided to put them to use when I get my hut built." Skillfully from practice, Ralla knotted the wood logs to the woodstock carrier and hefted it up to her shoulders. "I've got all the wood I need for today. I'll take you to AniWaya."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]

[html]

OOC:

Kemo smiled as she thanked him for trusting her, standing still as she slipped something over his head to rest o his shoulder. It was hanging securely on his neck, but did not choke him. The object was covered with her scent, but he could pick up others as well, strange scents he had never smelled before. He tried to figure out exactly what this was hanging on his neck, but was stopped as he heard her telling the story of the Long Gones. He jumped the first time he heard something thunk against a log, but listened intently to her story, sitting down carefully so as not to disturb the contents of the thing on his shoulder. And again a memory came back to him, straight from the now apparently truthful gossip line.

"Man had been a subject of great evil within my pack's stories. Creatures who walked on their hind legs, with forepaws that could manipulate tools with much greater dexterity than Luperci, and build massive structures in the sky. They viewed all animals as prey, using their loud piercing weapons to kill without mercy any animal who got in their way. The only animals who stood a chance were the ones who stayed far away from them, birds, wolves, bears, and the animals who befriended them. Supposedly there were stories of wolves befriending humans thousands of years ago, but I had thought that impossible judging from the evil these creatures performed." Once again he was proven wrong, however.

All the while he heard the steady clunk...clunk...clunk along with her panting. Such a strange way she goes about her life. She carries a bag on her back filled with strange objects which clank and clunk with each step I take, climbs trees, and is she going to build a fire? He had nearly had a heart attack the first time Aunty had made a fire within the cave. All he could smell was smoke and felt heat building up around him, with her acting as if nothing was wrong! He had run from the cave, only returning once she had found him hiding under a pile of leaves he had fallen into. She explained to him that there was nothing to be afraid of, the fire wasn't one you found in the wilderness, raging uncontrollably. Slowly he had gotten used to the fire until he no longer panicked whenever she lit one.

Building huts? Maybe that is her words for digging a den. She did say there were no open caves around here. His ears perked as he heard her grunting slightly with the heavy weight of something which he only recognized as wood as it made that characteristic hollow thunk, then he heard her say "I've got all the wood I need for today. I'll take you to AniWaya."

He stood up, once again making sure the contents of whatever was on his back were safe from harm. "I want to let you know in the future when you need help digging your den, I would be glad to help with that. I'm ready to go to AniWaya when you are. I hope they won't mind me coming into their lands." He smiled, padding forward to indicate he would be right behind her. "Anything I can do to help with that heavy burden you are carrying?"

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

Beware of Ralla's constant singing... It'll be stuck in your head for days @_@

She nodded when she heard Kemo speak of the Long Gones so. Such detail fitted perfectly with the stories she was taught, and she filed away the new information for later tellings. When he offered to help build her hut, she smiled when he instead referred to it as a 'den'. "A hut is not something to be dug; it is to be built. As I said earlier, there is a large red oak back in AniWaya. Back where I come from, I was taught once or twice how to make the huts we lived in because it was to be expected as common knowledge. If I had to say, it's a sort of like making a big cocoon. And I'm sure Chief Dawali wouldn't mind me taking you in for a bit. He really is a kind chief." Looking over her shoulder again, she smiled, shouldering the woodstock carrier higher up her back. "No, thank you. The carrier is made to be carried upright. If you tried to carry it, it would probably slide off or hurt your shoulders."

Despite the meeting being so short, Ralla was enjoying the company. Her packmates, however friendly and welcoming, were rarely seen. Her friends from the other packs, she didn't know when she'd see again. I wonder... How long will this meeting last? And how long until I would see him again? Loneliness... Solitude... Was the reason I brought Sugar with me on that journey because I really needed the help carrying things? Or because I didn't want to be alone...?

The long walk back to the AniWaya village, Ralla hummed happily, sorrowful pondering forgotten; such was her way. The song was rather morbid in comparison to her mood, though. Funny, how many beautiful or seemingly normal things have a hidden meaning that is forgotten over time, but lurks under the surface.

The village opened up to Ralla and Kemo as if it were once more the first time Ralla had arrived. The village was still yet quiet with the others out doing their own duties, but it had a welcome scent that spoke of home. Ralla led Kemo to the red oak tree where she unloaded the kindling onto the huge firewood pile resting against its trunk and gathered, instead, larger logs that she strapped to her back. "I have to deliver this wood to the Town Hall for the Great Fire. If you come with me, I can kill two birds with one stone by doing that and getting those gifts delivered. And if you'd like, I could get you something to eat while I clean the stone ceremonial grounds." Just like with Aithne, Ralla prioritized those needful things of others before herself. While she regretfully did not have the time to help Kemo find a den, all she had offered was within her time limit and power to do. Shirking duties is a big no, but multitasking isn't against the rules.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]

[html]

OOC: I have no problem with singing, as long as the singer has a good voice XD I'm sure Ralla's voice is soothing so I will think of that when she sings Big Grin By the way I won't get into Kemo's hunting ability just yet, that's for another time

He nodded as she politely turned down his offer of help, not knowing what she meant by carrier but not wanting to ask for fear of annoying her with all his questions. Sometimes though, he just couldn't help himself.

"Your den, excuse me, hut, is up in a tree? That's amazing! How tall is this tree? Must be quite tall to allow several wolves to build huts in it. Are all the others luperci too? Or are you the only one?' A whole pack of luperci's? He felt as though this was a dream. "I must be dreaming. Meeting a wolfess who is as kind as you, finding out luperci's were actually real, being invited back to your packlands so openly, then going to meet a whole pack of luperci's? Such events could only take place in a dream...unless my wildest dreams have come true." He pondered on that for a moment, walking in silence as he followed her.

As he walked along, listening to the sounds of the forest around him, he suddenly heard a sound he had only heard when he was but a young pup. Is she, humming? Indeed she was, a soothing sound that made him feel everything was going to be just fine.

It had been a long walk so far, though Kemo didn't mind. Walking with company was a rather enjoyable experience, much better than traveling alone like he had done to get here. Sticking close to the unique sounds her paws made, it was easy to stay on the path and he had no fear of running into anything. The knock on the head from the branch still made itself evident and he remembered to be extra careful to stay near the luperci in front of him.

His paw hit something and he realized it was another stick like the one he had found earlier. He stopped momentarily to pick it up in his teeth, dragging it along with him a little hurriedly to catch up, not knowing he had arrived in the village until the scent had hit him. Here it was, the scent marker that marked the territory line of the AniWaya pack, and he was now crossing it. He dragged the large stick through the imaginary territory line, following carefully close to Ralla before her footsteps stopped and the loud crashing noise of wood against wood could only be assumed that she had dumped the stack of firewood onto a bigger stack. He carefully dragged his own contribution toward where the sound came from, as well as the heavy scent of trees and freshly cut wood, and carefully placed the stick on the pile as best as he could.

"I would be glad to help. All you have to do is tell me what needs to be done and I will get started to the best of my ability. You have all ready given me so much, it is only fair that I help you in any way I can in return."

It was then that he realized that he was hungry, forgetting that he needed to hunt in the excitement of meeting a new friend. "Before we go can you wait right here for just a few minutes? I have something I need to do before I see your Chief. I won't be long, and then I will help you with whatever you need done." He listened carefully, then ran off outside the village, marking its scent in his memory.

After several minutes he returned. He was carrying two rabbits in his muzzle, one a particularly plump looking one and the other still quite a bit over its normal size. These had been easy pickings for a normal wolf, though he had to go about it a slightly different way. He followed her scent from where they had walked through earlier, stopping just as he heard her impatient humming.

He placed the rabbits down in front of him, smiling apologetically. "Sorry, hunting while blind is a bit different than hunting normally. This rabbit is for you, as a token of good faith, and the other fat one is a gift for your Chief, to let him know that I mean no harm to him or his people, as is customary in my pack." One of the first things he learned, in fact.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

Ralla's dilemma in this post is oh so obvious for what she should do; but she is indecisive Tongue

"Hmm..." Looking up the tree, it was hard for even Ralla to judge its height. "Who knows. Quite tall, I'd think. And even if I told you now, it'd just get taller in a day. Granted not much, but a tree's a living thing. And life is a dream." Ralla chuckled to herself on that one. The visions she saw in the night and in the fire, the signs that came; to most, it's like a waking dream, she supposed. "Most of my pack that I've met are luperci. My whole pack back home were luperci, too. But I've met non-luperci. One of them is actually my friend. She's not in this pack though..."

Ralla smiled as she watched Kemo drag the stick and prop it against the woodpile. He seems a good wolf. Looks like I won't have to worry. When Ralla offered to get Kemo food, though, she pricked her ears when his stomach growled in response. "Before we go can you wait right here for just a few minutes? I have something I need to do before I see your Chief. I won't be long, and then I will help you with whatever you need done." She made to ask what it was that he so urgently needed to do, and she instantly began to worry when he ran off without her. She wanted to follow--she knew she should've, with him being on the packlands and not a member...--but she didn't. This could either turn out really good...or really bad... Although Kemo had seemed to make it thus far without anyone to guide him, him being caught by another member without a chaperone could spell disaster. To follow or not to follow...? The answer's obvious, but a blind wolf told me to stay put... If I go somewhere out of hearing distance he won't be able to find his way back... But I could howl! But what if he fell down Adella's Rage!? In her state of worry, Ralla began to sift the dirt underneath her hind paws in and out with her claws. A nervous tune had popped through her vocal chords as she paced, debating on what to do.

Luckily, Kemo came back a few minutes later, with... "Rabbits...?" The fact that he had not one, but two healthy rabbits clamped in his jaws amazed Ralla. A lot of the animals close to the village were getting ready to hibernate, so they didn't stray too far from the Serena Reserve. "Sorry, hunting while blind is a bit different than hunting normally. This rabbit is for you, as a token of good faith, and the other fat one is a gift for your Chief, to let him know that I mean no harm to him or his people, as is customary in my pack." "While I appreciate that greatly, please don't run off again... If another one of my pack members finds you without me, it could end really bad... Chief Dawali's kind, but I doubt he'd take kindly to an unknown stranger. This, however," she said as she hefted the fat rabbit up with a smile, "may just appease him just enough. Funny; gift-giving was customary in my old pack, too. We have a lot of traditions here in AniWaya as well. Thankfully you didn't bring back a deer; that'd throw Chief Dawali for a loop."

Ralla picked up the other rabbit and held both from one hand and the strap of the woodstock carrier with the other as she led Kemo through the village to its center. "I assume you eat your meat raw since you're not a luperci?" The wood was emptied from the carrier, and Ralla's shoulders immediatly felt lighter. Stretching her arms high, she turned to duck in and then out of the Town hall to get the soap, brush, and bucket of water (which had been filled from one of the storage barrels inside). "I'll leave the rabbits to you. Watch them, eat your fill--I ate earlier, thank you--and watch the bag for me while I wash, please?" It was a simple task, but Ralla didn't want to make her new friend work on their first meeting, despite his offerings. Mixing the dried soap in with the water, she tossed the entire bucket to splash on the ceremonial stone ground before stepping carefully onto the slick surface to scrub the dirt and dust away.

Table by Lou!
[/html]

[html]

OOC: Good thing he was back within a few minutes, not sure what would have happened if it had been longer Tongue

Kemo's ears laid back against his head as he realized he had worried her so much. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you. I should have realized it was a bad idea to run off on my own around here. It won't happen again." He had never heard of another pack beside his own that had such a custom, though he had only known his own pack anyways, so he supposed it was entirely possible. He tilted his head slightly at the deer remark, but dismissed the idea, knowing it was not really his place to ask about the AniWaya traditions. His ears perked up as he heard her walking again, following closely behind her. He was about to answer her question concerning the raw meat, but he didn't have to as a loud grumbling noise suddenly issued from his stomach. He nodded with a smile, as if that answered her question.

The scents and sounds of the village were spectacular to Kemo, having never been in a village before. Scents of cooking meat and fire smoke wafted through the air, dozens of different scents he could only guess belonged to the other pack members were everywhere, though he wouldn't be able to commit them to memory yet because he didn't know who each belonged to. The scents of several different kinds of wildflowers were everywhere as well as the foresty scent of trees and freshly cut wood. All of these scents combined to form a fantastic banquet specially made for him and he dug in enthusiastically, sniffing every inch of the air and ground that he could, being careful to stay near the sound of his companions footsteps. The village was quiet, but to him it was alive with stories to be told, secrets to be shared to only those it considers worthy.

He heard the footsteps stop and listened to her carefully, remembering his mistake he had made earlier. "It might be a bit hard for me to watch them, but I will try my best. He barked a laugh, reaching down to sniff around for the rabbits, making sure he picked the one that wasn't for the Chief. Listening to her splash some water on what he could only assume was the ceremonial stone ground, he felt around with his paw until he was sure he wasn't on the stone but rather on the ground beside it, then laid down carefully and dug into his meal, enjoying the freshly killed rabbit meat. "I have tried cooked meat before. Aunty made it for me once, but I prefer raw meat. It just doesn't taste the same to me when it's been burned like that, all though it does smell good." He smiled, blood dripping from his muzzle onto the ground in front of him.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

Please don't mind Ralla's obsessivness with singing >.> It's rare after the journey that she has an audience, and singing a story used to be her job back in her old tribe, so she misses it <3 ALSO: I do not own 'Hoist the Colors' from Pirates of the Caribbean in any way, shape or form... ... DISCLAIM! :x

Ralla laughed when he made the joke about 'watching' the stuff. If he had not had such a lilting tone when he said it, she would've instead felt guilty about being insensitive for a moment. The conversation had dropped off for a moment, and the song from earlier returned to Ralla's mind.

"You know, when I came to Nova Scotia, I travelled with a group of gypsy luperci. I don't know if you've ever seen a boat, but they're like large, wooden bowls that float on water...like a cloud in the sky. Most nights, it was dark and starless. Others, the stars shined so bright that it appeared as if the ship were sailing in the starry sky; each light its own firefly." The memory of her coming to AniWaya made Ralla smile as she washed the neglect from the ceremonial ground. It had been beautiful, even as she had been running without taking in the time to appreciate its beauty. "And then some nights it stormed... One storm was so bad that I was told we lost our bearings. Only the gypsy woman who told me about this place and I could find the Northern Star the next night, and that's how we came about here again. That night...was nothing but the flash of lightening and the hum of the gypsies." Ralla had been clutching the ropes of the netting leading to the middle mast. Hands had fumbled to tie a rope 'round her middle. Voices did not yell nor panic, but...sang... "The gypsy woman told me it was a sea chanty that kept the gypsies together in storms and times of ill omens. They believed in a Pirate King--a Long Gone deity--and the Goddess of the Sea. And so they would sing the song to ward off the King and his men so that their souls would be untouched."

The song had been enchanting, even in the thrall of the winds. The rain had whipped and tried to tear Ralla from the ropes, but the song had kept her fingers tightly knotted within the knots. A smile, haunting smile creased Ralla's lips as she remembered, and she was grateful that she wouldn't have to be so self-conscious about Kemo seeing her faraway expression of absent-mindedness.

"Yo, ho; haul together. Hoist the colors high.

Heave ho, thieves and beggers. Never shall we die.

The King and his men stole the Queen from her bed, and bound her in her bones...

The seas be ours and by the powers, where we will we'll roam..."

"Bit of an odd song, isn't it? But the gypsies fought for their freedom against the Goddess of the Sea that was capricious, and their will was greater than even her tides. Makes you kind of jealous, huh?" It certainly makes me jealous... The will to oppose a goddess... Kudos to you, Pirate King, she laughed in her head as she got up to fetch a clean bucket of water. Coming back with it, she dumped it on the stone ground, washing the soap suds away. "They made their lives their own, undecided by others..." ...and instead bound the Goddess that had bound them. "I'm sorry, that was bad timing for such a story. But I love stories of all sorts. I think I might be a bit of a sucker for the foreign legends."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]

[html]

OOC: Love pirates of the caribbean and that song Big Grin

It was peaceful as he listened to steady swish swish she made while cleaning the stone. He ate his rabbit happily, enjoying the meal because he knew it was the last one before he would have to earn the privilege to hunt in these lands. His ears perked up when he heard her speak again in a slightly far off tone, as if she was reliving memories of her past. Her story enchanted him, kick starting his imagination.

He could imagine thunderous waves smashing against the boat, Ralla bracing herself against them, rain pouring in torrents all over as lighting smashed over a huge creature. Despite all this chaos, a song could clearly be heard, and it was this song that he treasured most. He ate the rabbit absent-mindedly, totally absorbed into the story she had spun so well. He stared for a moment.

"That story was amazing! You really went through that? That sounds like quite an adventure. You know, Aunty used to tell me stories similar to those to help pass the time and to help me sleep after my injury. She told them just like you too, I felt like I was really there experiencing everything that was happening. She always had a new one too." He paused for a moment, sniffing around the rabbit's corpse to make sure he had left nothing to waste. "There was one story that she used to tell me all the time. She would tell me a new one, then would come back to this one, knowing it was my favorite. Each time she told it, she would stop at a certain point, but the next time she told it, she would get farther and farther into the story. No matter how much I begged she wouldn't continue until the next day. I could tell you it sometime if you want, it's really a good story. Sometimes she would tell it as if she had experienced it herself, and it would always make me wonder."

He trailed off in thought for a moment, remembering all those times that he tried to beg her to tell him what happened next, but she always waved him off, telling him it was important that he learn.

"She used to make those strange clunking sounds you made in the forest earlier too, just before it was time for the evening hunt. She told me she was tending the fire, but I never understood what she meant by that. What about the Great Fire? Do you tend it?"

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Fae
[/html]
[html]

Short post, but important revelation for Kemo :o Also; here comes the 'OMG, NO WAY' moment :3 Well, she was bound to mention it sooner or later. She may feel bad about home, but it's a constant reminder, so... Tongue

"I would love to hear it sometime!" She said enthusiatically. Ralla loved getting new stories and songs because then she in turn could share them with others. Visions and signs often came unbidden, and the only reliable Shamanism she could perform at will was her star-reading. So during the day or those starless nights, it always comforted her that she could ease or entertain others with her voice when the silent sky gave nothing.

"Clunking sounds...? Ah, you mean the axe. It's a sharp blade on the end of a long, wooden stick. You use it to chop wood into smaller pieces, but... You need two hands to do that. Kemo, if your Aunty made those sounds," she said as she rubbed her hands to dry them from the water, "then she must've been a luperci, too. If she were a normal wolf, holding an axe would be impossible for her. And tending to the fire would be really hard if she didn't have control of something to prod the sticks with without burning herself. Granted it can be done, but... Chopping is definatly out of the question. She never said anything about being a luperci...?"

"And, no; sadly, I'm too low on the Fire Tending Tree to tend to the fire directly as of yet. For now, I learn the trade by caring for the tools and learning what I may be doing all myself one day. Chief Dawali tends the flames still, but... I love the fire. It's...comforting, and shows me visions; even in the day. There's another tale for fire, but never mind that for now." Rather, as Ralla took the bag calmly from Kemo's protective care, she led him to the Great Fire itself. She stopped a few feet from its licking flames and swished her tail once near his shoulder to signal his stop. Normal silent-signals obviously wouldn't work, so flicks of the tail would have to do.

"I was told that the Fire is our beacon for those who are lost; like the North Star. It keeps us warm and protects us from evil spirits, and it is the symbol of how this tribe has prevailed. My old tribe and this tribe...are actually quite alike. AniWaya is a branch tribe of the larger one known as the Great Tribe, just like the Moon Tribe and its four branches. AniWaya has prospered despite its separation from the main pack, and its shown me the endurance of strong tradition. It makes me want to be a part of it even more."

That feeling alone could've kept Ralla there forever. While she was born in a place similar to AniWaya, it was also disimilar. Restrictions were harsher, and the line carved between the classes of wolves was great. Ralla had wished for a tribe like AniWaya--a place like Nova Scotia--where wolves and hybrids could meet freely and interract freely. Granted, there were still places there that were unlike that dream, but it was certainly an improvement of freedom. In AniWaya, Ralla was shown respect, and she gave it in return. And it wasn't respect born out of rank; rather, it had been packhood. The aching in her heart for her father and brother had given way over the last month and a half for the wolves and hybrids she had met, and... I'm sorry, Father...Noss... I could never bear to be alone... I wonder how you are, even though I dare not ask the moon and stars for fear of being told something I don't want to hear... Please, understand...

With Kemo at her side as she gazed into the fire, Ralla had to keep herself from looking too hard... Because what if, during her tumult of thoughts for her family, the flames did reveal such things that she would rather keep locked behind closed doors?

<style type="text/css">
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]