vampires and wolves
[html]

for anyone who wants to have a chat with the stormbringer!

A dark overcast sky was the main attraction of today. Thick black rain clouds rolled sluggishly across the sky, they belly heavily pregnant with the rain that was about to be born over the entire town of Wolfville. It was horrible weather, a warning for a storm that was no doubt about to hit. This eminent storm should have meant the young Stormbringer was firmly behind a door and under a safe roof- his experiances with Mother Nature were stuck thick and fast in his mind. He flinched easily at the first rain drops that hit his head, his whole body positively shaking when the thunder and lightening had struck. It was these three elements that had split him from his family, his brother and sister and father. He had travelled back to Wolfville, but it was slow going and he had slowly become emaciated from lack of food an exhaustion. He had learned, however, that in the absence of meat, plants were as good as anything for keeping you going, even for a short while. Still, the young male had been so starving and hungry that he had collapsed on the borders, waiting for someone to save him.

A few days had passed and he had met one of his pack members, Nayru. She had been odd, at firt referring to him as simply 'Stormbringer', until he reminded her that his name was actually Saul. That meeting had gone well, although the details were hazy. He was still so thin it hurt to look at him, but his eyes were beginning to brighten and shine. His coat was brightening also, for it had become dingy and greasy in the lack of nutrients. He was looking better, although he had been unable to find Gideon in his four days back at home. He had searched the Victorian House he now lived in but couldnt find his dark haired brother. Slight concern marred his handsome features, as well as the broken fear in his face as he gazed up at the sky. This was going to be a bad storm, but he had needed his run. After getting up with the light this morning, Saul had bathed in the river and ran the perimeter of Dahlia, drying his fur in the process. He looked fluffy and windswept as he came to a stop in Flanders Field.

His tired and thin little legs collapsed beneath him, skinny frame rapid in its panting. He looked odd, laying in a cemetary, partially hidden by a large tomb- emerald eyes shining and salmon tongue curled up to keep his saliva from falling out. His cinnamon-backed ears flickered back, his whip-like tail still curled around his aching body. He had needed the run, but his body was not yet ready to take on that amount of physical exercise. The soft whine and pant of his breathing slowed gradually as he lay in the field, pleased with his days work for now. Soon, he would want to play, but with whom?

word count;; 505

<style type="text/css">
.saul .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#000000}
.saul .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#e7ec66}
.saul b {font-weight:bold; color:#25567c; letter-spacing:1px; }
.saul {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#4aa41a; background-image:url(http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/7159/saulbottom.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 350px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC:It would make me a happy camper if I could bug you into letting this be a sibling thread. I've been meaning to make one already, but time and circumstance were quite rude to me. But maybe now?

Whew, 612 words. I didn't know I had it in me!

IC:

The gloomy morning had paralleled Ascher's waking feelings. He had returned with Conor and immediately picked out an out-of-the-way corner in some dark room of the house to collapse in, which had resulted in a long and heavy sleep. Dawn had woken the young Stormbringer, but had not caused him to get up. Instead he had listened to the sounds of the world waking around him, taking small comfort in the fact that life goes on. Such a roborant would have normally put a smile on Ascher's inquisitive face, but today it was a cold shoulder. The only thing that had caused the pup to get up and start his day had been the realization that he was moping in a way that did not make anything different. And Ascher wanted to feel differently, that was for sure. And so Ascher picked himself up and wandered outside into the muted gray of the day.

What a day it was going to be, too. With rain practically plotting to fall on top of him, Ascher stuck to covered areas that provided at least partial shelter from the pitter-patter of precipitation that threatened above. Today would not be a long day, mused the puppy, which was just fine with him. An attempt to journey outside and experience Dahlia de Mai in its entirety could be a rewarding experience, as far as the Stormbringer was concerned. Given the fact that he felt alone and would likely continue to feel so for a long time - it would not be nice to follow Conor around a lot, and Ascher had not heard much about auntie Bris last night - it was fitting that he ought to start enjoying all the things wolves do in solitude. Like sniffing around in old buildings and looking for cool things to play with.

The idea of having toys to tinker with actually brightened up Ascher's face quite a bit. He did not remember if he had ever had a trinket or a toy before, but he had the concept in his head and it suddenly felt right that he have one. But he did not know where to begin looking for something like a toy. What did it look like? Were toys tasty? Ascher pondered this as he aimlessly wandered away from Wolfville.

By the time Ascher had figured out what he wanted in a toy - that it be delicious, sturdy, light, shiny, and easy to carry in his mouth or on his back so he could take it with him wherever he wanted - he had left any part of Dahlia that he had a sense of direction in. The young pup had no idea where he was, and he suddenly felt quite alone and scared. Maybe something nasty would be coming his way shortly and do bad things to him, maybe something even worse than that was just around the corner. But as Ascher started whining in distress, he caught the smell of someone familiar. Thinking that this was a trick, the young Stormbringer suspiciously followed what seemed to be his brother's scent.

Coming across a large field with wild plants growing every which where was odd enough as it was; the old stones underneath them gave the field a very ominous feel. Like one should be very quite in here, and be respectful to something. But Saul's scent was stronger over here, so Ascher prodded around with his nose until he stopped dead in his tracks. "Saul? Is that you?" The bewildered youngster could not believe his eyes; his brother was laying in the field, hopefully this was not some trick like Ascher feared it was.

[/html]
[html]

awh yay! I'm glad you joined! Now all we need to do is track down Gideon!

Despite the fact that he was resting in a graveyard, Saul felt relaxed and calm. His skinny form was painful and the run that he had taken in the forest this morning had been hard. But he could feel the adrenaline pumping through his veins, making sure that he was happy and calm. The thing about Saul was the fact that he needed his routine to keep him strong and steady, to be there for his family. He liked to be stable if they ever needed him. Although not much bad would happen if he wasn't calm- Saul was naturally calm- but the young Stormbringer felt much better when at least part of his routine was complete. He was strange, sure. But there was never a better brother than he, never a big brother whole felt responsible for his brothers and sister than he. It made it all the worse that two of his siblings were still missing. He was tempted to look for them, but his emaciated form was in no state to go anywhere away from Dahlia's vast terratory.

Emerald green eyes raised towards the church that dominated this part of their land. It was beautiful, old and just starting to rub away at the edges. The stained glass windows were still, amazingly in tact and the old wooden door was firmly closed. He was going to rise and explore when he heard a snuffling and ruffling in the undergrowth. There was a lot of substance to the graveyard- not only where there hundreds of graves here, but the grass was long and the autumn flowers were just beginning to bloom. It could be a badger or a fox. It could be another wolf. Saul felt himself settle- he was not easily scared, simply curious and interested. His cinnamon-backed ears pricked, although the tip of his left ear was just slightly bent. His green eyes widened in shock however at the figure that came from behind a tomb. The familiar earthy tones and the stormy grey eyes greeted Saul and his ear flattened instantly atop his head. He almost missed his brothers words as he rushed forward and embraced Ascher.

Asch... Ascher! Where have you been?! When did you get here? Are you okay?

He wished to ask so many more questions, like had he seen Shiloh and where was Dad and had he seen Gideon yet. He wanted to ask his youngest brother whether he had missed him, how he'd got back here, what he'd been doing. He was so relieved to see his brother that he covered his muzzle in soft licks before he backed off. Ascher had always been of a nervous disposition and Saul did not want to make him uncomfortable. His body felt overwhelmed with emotion as well as the painful empty stomach and the muscle ache. He must have looked like hell- ribs sticking out, coat dull, eyes strained. But he was so happy at this point that all he could do was show weakness and repeat the phrase he had admitted to Bris when she found him-

I missed you Ascher...

He couldn't help the embarrassed grin that plastered across his cheeks. He was beginning to think that he did not have to be overwhelmingly overbearing to be a protective brother. He allowed a creamy paw to come up and touch his brothers shoulder before dropping it once more. He was sure this was probably too much for his brother to handle, but he would let him decide on that.

word count;; 589

<style type="text/css">
.saul .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#000000}
.saul .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#e7ec66}
.saul {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#4aa41a; background-image:url(http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/7159/saulbottom.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 350px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC:Well aww. Mayhap James will find this thread in good stead. Mayhap Gideon could join in on the festivities? Mayhap all this winking and hinting will leave me looking like I have a nervous tick in my face. :^) Oh, and HA! Ascher's horoscope fits today pretty well, it seems. (I don't read horoscopes, but I checked his for kicks.)

IC

If someone had told Ascher that he would have met his lost brother today, Ascher would likely have become extraordinarily curious and skeptical at the same time. He would have wanted it to be true, but would believe that if he wanted it with any fervor, it would not have come true. If only magazines with a foretelling about how one's day would turn out still existed; Ascher would have known something like this would happen. Nonetheless, the reality of it all embraced him quite ferociously with much licking.

Dumbstruck by the sudden reunion without a seeming cause, Ascher just let the scene flow over him. I must look stupid, he thought during his frozen face greeting. He was not overwhelmed with emotion, per se, but there was a lot of stuff to realize and sort through as Saul rushed him. Most prominent of all the emotions swirling around in Ascher's mind was a heady elation that caused just a little dizziness. When the pup heard I missed you, he dearly wanted to respond in kind, but his trail of thought had not yet been cleared of brush.

As some little trailblazer in Ascher's head started clearing up his thoughts, the Stormbringer began to look less stupid, and more happy. Yes, that was it, Ascher was most definitely happy. He did not want Saul's paw to come off of his shoulder, and when it did, Ascher immediately returned the hugs and licks that he had been meaning to since he had first spotted Saul laying there on the ground. "I missed you, too, Saul," came out of his mouth in between affectionate greetings. THERE it was.

Having completed his giddy outburst, Ascher quickly settled himself on his haunches, however. Taking in Saul's appearance put a quick frown on his younger brother's face. He sniffed him over and realized just how thin and unhealthy his brother was. Ascher did not remember a time when his brother had looked weaker than he did - in fact, Ascher nearly selfishly counted on his brothers' strength to be a comfort for him. A further sniff showed off how hungry his brother was. Which prompted Ascher's stomach to let itself be known, as well. So they were both hungry, which was not all that new, but Ascher was making connections and similarities between Saul and himself just out of habit right now. It became a dominant thought to the young wolf - we need to go find food; now would be a good time. Saul needs it real bad. And just as he was about to invite Saul to start scenting food with him - or go bug some adults for food, that was easier, right? - a thought nagged at him.

"Saul, did Shiloh come with you?" For some reason, Ascher knew that she had not, but he held out a thin ray of hope that he would have had his brothers and sister with him, even if Father would not be. The fact that Shiloh was not here right now nearly elicited a whine from the puppy, but he held it in check for Saul's benefit - it was his sister, too.

[/html]
[html]

Hmm... well perhaps it would be nice if it were just the two of them! Gideon seems to be busy with his adopted litter of puppies! scary!

An aura of awkward silence seemed to settle over the brothers when he had jumped on Ascher, kissing him and hugging him. Saul always knew that Ascher wasn't the touchy feely kind, but surely he would not deny his brother a hug or two? Still, the eldest Stormbringer decided to wait it out, getting a feel of his brother and what his reaction would be. To Saul's immense surprise and delight, his smaller, darker brother leapt at the chance and covered him in kisses anyway. Perhaps they had both changed in their seperation from each other and they would share a bigger bond with one another because of it. Saul leapt around his brother, occasionally nipping and kissing and yapping his excitement. His brothers words rang clear in his ears- Ascher had missed him too. It was such a shame that it was just the two of them, just the two of them reunited. He wished sourly that Gideon were here and Shiloh were not missing in the wastes of the land. But they weren't and it was just the two of them.

Saul stiffened subtly as Ascher's nose began to work down his body. Shame flashed him red as he realised how he must look to his youngest brother. Painfully thin, ribs sticking out, angular cheekbones and joints. His fur was dull and dingy, the lack of nutrients in him showing in his locks as well as the discolouration of his gums. This was perhaps the most unhealthy he had ever been, and he had shown it all to his brother. Cinnamon-backed ears flashed back against his skull and his emerald eyes pleaded with his brother. This wasnt his fault, this condition he was in. It was the fault of mother nature for splitting him up with his family, for forcing him to survive on meager plants and being unable to hunt. He could see the concern and the shock in his younger brothers eyes and he felt ashamed. He was supposed to be the strong one, he was supposed to look after everyone else. He could see the questions and commands on the tip of Ascher's tongue, but the question that came from his young brothers lips was unexpected.

A flash of apology and pity lined his eyes and he shock his head. He didnt have to say anymore to him, but Saul felt like he needed an explanation. "I'm sorry Asch. When the storm hit, I got seperated from you and Shiloh from the rest of us. When I woke up I was alone. I havent scented her here... I think she's still out there". He needed to say something to his brother to make him at ease, to make sure he knew that Saul wasn't idle about his sisters missingness. He twisted his head softly to the side and gazed at his brother. "We're going to find her Asch. Don't worry about that!" He reassured his brother with a painful smile. It was false encouragement- Saul could never promise that he would find Shiloh, but he would try none-the-less. He took this moment of silence to sniff out his brother. He seemed healthy and well, and there was the unmistakeable cloak of their father on his dusty brown coat.

"You stayed with father? And he bought you back here?"

He asked, emerald eyes confused. Then again, thinking it through- Ascher would have been most scared and stuck to their fathers side like glue. He was far less likely to get lost this way. And Dreyrugr would have wanted Ascher to be with his brother, so bought him back. He was glad his younger brother had not had to go through two months of loneliness and starvation.

word count;; 620

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC:Truly scary. Kids raising kids these days, what has the world come to? Sorry for the lateness of my reply... and the rambles in there. 713 words. (don't know how to keep up the word count. You've got the soul for prose, my dear. :-)

IC:

Ascher felt his words turn his reunion with his brother into a somber and pensive event. Where before Saul had been too happy to contain himself - a fact that gave Ascher no end of happiness - to now where Saul could be either concerned about his brother's safety, or jealous that he had been able to stay near Father during that horrible storm. Copper fur ruffled in uncertainty and shame. It was obvious now that Ascher had been pampered in comparison to at least one of his siblings, which cut deeply into Ascher's self-esteem. How could he, the youngest and weakest of the three puppies with Father at that time fare best in those conditions? It was not fair to his older and stronger siblings to bear such a burden, while he was coddled with the strength of his father. The beginnings of a feeling Ascher could not define - an anger and despair unfathomable - nibbled at the back of his mind, but the Stormbringer dutifully shook if from his thoughts. Now would not be the time to throw a fit because he had it better than someone more deserving.

Saul was here, and Shiloh was still alive, because Saul assured him so. That was what mattered at the moment.

But to put You stayed with Father? And he brought you back here? into the mix did not make Ascher feel any better. Where just an instant before, two of the Stormbringer brothers were intent on making the best of things after Father had uprooted them - even to the point of finding their sister no matter what - this new instant pulled Ascher back a couple of weeks.

Where had all that rain and wind come from and gone to, and why had it taken two of Ascher's siblings away? Sure, Father was still there, still keeping him safe, but it really was not the same. The following days brought with them a great and heavy sadness for Ascher, which Father doubtlessly recognized as loneliness. He was right - Shiloh and Saul had kept the silence out of the way while they had nipped at Ascher and taunted him for not going as fast as they were, and for getting hungry before it was time to eat. That was fine - Ascher loved it in comparison to the brittle silence as he followed in the very large paw prints of his father. And Father kept looking back to make sure Ascher was still there. He'd never done that before; it was not until he had come back from searching for so long without either of them in tow that he had become so protective over his progeny. Was it because he was that much weaker than those two that Father had felt he had to bring Ascher back? So that Gideon or Bris could take care of him? It would never be because it was "unfair" for a father to force a son on such a journey - Ascher thought that a son ought to follow his father and it had seemed perfectly fine when it was two sons and a daughter. But one son, maybe not the right son, could not follow.

Ascher realized that his silence had likely dragged on for a moment longer than it could afford without being awkward. But the past was trying to overtake the present, and it was difficult to separate the two at the moment. As he did so, he opened his mouth to respond, but then he closed it. He did not want to betray his resentment and inadequacy to someone who deserved much more than that from him. So he nodded quickly and jerkily, while not really registering that motion.

Trying to find a way to break the line of conversation, Ascher affected a growl of hunger he suddenly did not feel but said anyway, "Are you as hungry as I am, Saul? Wanna go find some food? Maybe Giddie, too?" In his head, Ascher knew that he wanted to surround himself with as many people as he could. He sidled up as close as he could to his brother, rather childishly, and said, "Really missed you, Saul. Wish you hadn't gone away. But you're here now - that's good."

[/html]
[html]

lol, i know what you mean! why thank you! I apologise for this one- most of your post was in Ascher's mind! lol

On looking back at the words he had spoken to his youngest brother, Saul felt a wave of shame. It was not Ascher's fault that their father had been able to hang on to him. Just because he himself had gone through some considerable hardship did not mean that it was, in any way, Ascher's fault. He realised, too late, that his tone could have been interpreted as accusing and his cinnamon-backed ears flickered back in apology. He did not blame Ascher for anything that had happened to him, and now his youngest brother held a certain guilt over their separation. He did not want this to happen, but the words were out there now. Saul remembered the fledgling resentment he had felt just a few moments before when he realised his youngest brother had not suffered. But now he realised just how good that was. Ascher had not suffered to get here, he was whole and healthy and that was the good thing. On the flip side, it appeared Saul now depended on his younger, healthier brother for a few things.

Saul hated the feeling of helplessness, a feeling he had felt for a long while when he was on his own. But worse than that, he hated depending on someone else. He was strong and independent and he didnt need looking after. He was the one who looked after his siblings- that was the way it was supposed to be. And therefore, when Ascher asked if Saul was as hungry as he was, a look of concern washed over his face. His brother was hungry and it was up to him to provide. He cast a preliminary gaze around the field, noticing only the overgrown graves and headstones. There would be some bunnies here, they just had to find them. A soft smile washed over his features, softening them for his brother.

"We should definately get some food. Maybe I can show you my mad hunting skills! But I have no idea where Giddy is... I havent seen him yet."

He trailed off for a moment before letting the smile slip onto his lips once more. He would be positive for his brother. Still, the young male was slightly shocked when his youngest brother sidled up to him- a move that hadn't been made since they were young and dependent on one another. Secretly, Saul allowed a grin to colour his face- he was so pleased to be needed by his brother. The words that came from Ascher were soft and rather childish but Saul didnt mind. His head fit perfectly over his brother, his throat and underside of his muzzle resting on the crest of Ascher's head. His salmon tongue flashed out and caught one of his brothers ears in a soft lick of reassurance.

"I won't go again, I promise. And besides, it wasnt even my fault! But I missed you more"

Half of his words were said with a smile to them, while the first section was told with absolute promise. He wasn't going anywhere, not anytime soon anyway. Ascher need not worry about a storm ripping them apart- they lived in the same house. Rubbing his muzzle against his brothers head, Saul withdrew and looked down into his brothers grey eyes. He really had missed this little bucket of awkward. The smile remained as he stood and stretched, accentuating his emaciated body. He really was unwell. Still, with a glance around, Saul found his brothers eyes. There was a twinkle to his own green depths as he moved to stand beside his brother.

"How about a little rabbit?"

word count;; 604

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: This one and then once more to finish? Then off to shifting time! (And I am working on getting me/Ascher more active - you are a decidedly awesome person for putting up with that) 333 words

IC:

The dramatic exchange had taken a good turn and Ascher was feeling positively delighted that his brother was not going to leave or be separated from him anymore. To just hear it became a rock solid promise and that was a great thing. The youngster moved away from his brother and sat in front of him, almost expectantly. Food, family, and ... fun? Yeah, that was definitely all Ascher needed right now. So his mind started drifting again as he started wondering what would be fun to do right now - right up until his stomach reminded him of his current obligations to speak once in a while. Thinking about meeting up with Gideon and having a three brother team around home was very tantalizing, though. With his brothers at his side, Ascher would not have to worry about anything, ever. This brought a pang of sadness along with Shiloh's face in the Stormbringer's mind, but sweet comfort in the form of Saul right in front of his face could not have been more perfectly placed. Piggybacking on that thought was a rabbit. A juicy and tasty rabbit made Ascher's mouth water.

"We should definitely go get a rabbit. I mean... I can't get that rabbit... but I'd love to see your 'mad hunting skills' go get a rabbit. I'd really, really love to see that!" Ascher very nearly started licking his chops and biting down on imaginary meat in his mouth. It was a becoming a great focus of thought for him.

"Maybe after that we could go find Giddie? It would be a great day if we found him and had some more fun. I know you want to find him, and he probably wants to see us, too. Conor said he was doing good, and something about having puppies to look after. But first, we've got to go get that rabbit, right?" Ascher started moving from foot to foot while he was still sitting down. Hunger made him a little anxious.

[/html]
[html]

Awh thank you Thomas! You're lovely! ^^ Did you want me to finish? You can reply to this if you want, but otherwise we can say they left together and stuff!

Their meeting had been a mixed tangle of emotions, all weaved together into one heaped mess that was hard to separate. He knew there had been a whole lot of relief and love at seeing his brother again. He had been so worried about the youngest Stormbringer thta seeing him again had been amazing. But the realisation had bought on a bought of jealousy and suspision, as well as a kick of regret at feeling these things. It wasnt Ascher's fault that Dreyrugr had managed to keep ahold of him during that storm, and Saul was grateful to his father for keeping his brother safe. It was just difficult to feel these things when he has been through so much. He couldnt deal well with the fact that he had been on his own for two months, trying to survive. These were internal thoughts however and Saul would never, in a million years, admit them to anyone. Another grumble from his stomach alerted him to the urgency of his situation- he needed food.

"Well today it your lucky day Ascher! Your big brother is going to catch all the rabbits!"

He announced with a lilting laugh and the twist of his head. He stood then, stretching his body out and hearing the satisfying crunch of his bones popping out of place. He laughed softly, shaking his head left to right and allowing his ears to flop madly about his head. He was happy now- Ascher was alive and well, and they were going to go and hunt together. It was a shame Gideon was nowhere in sight. Saul still hadnt seen his brother anywhere and he was beginning to get worried about him. Bris seemed unconcerned, so maybe it was a personal issue Gideon had with him. He couldnt for the life of him figure out what that might be however. Giving his youngest brother a small shove in the shoulder with his forehead, listening to the verbal tornado coming from his brothers mouth.

"What an interesting theory! Gideon with puppies, I'll have to see it to believe it! Now, lets go find some food. If Gideon shows up, that will make my day at least."

He didnt hold out much hope of that happening, but it was okay. He had one brother back, and the other was at least on site. They would be reunited again, just maybe not today. A smile raked over his lips as he pushed his brother towards the town, trying to calm him down in case he scared their prey away. Life was right once more.

-saul && ascher exit-

word count;; 432

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]