going on a bear hunt
[html]
ooc;; 16.10.10 for gideon and saul behbeh!

Saul and his brother and sister were seven months old today. They were all closer to the year mark now, past the six month in-between period where they could no longer be called 'pup' but there was also no other word for them. With their turn of the month, the young Stormbringers could now be called teenagers and they were well on their way to learning everything they needed to know to survive. Unlike Gideon, who had been left behind and Ascher, who had stayed with their father in the storm that separated him and Shiloh from everyone- Saul knew what it took to survive. After all, he nearly hadn't. He had arrived just twelve days ago, emaciated and exhausted. His Aunt Bris had found him, and since then he had been busy meeting lots of people. But in nearly two weeks, he had not once bumped into his favourite brother Gideon.

Saul sensed there was something about this fact that he wasn't getting. He figured it was unusual for his brother not to be out and about, and Saul had spent the past three days on Dahlian ground. He had searched for his brother far and wide, but to no avail. Now, he was on a Gideon hunt. He had started in Berwick, searching through the abandoned town. He had moved anti-clockwise, visiting the outskirts of Dahlia and around to the coast. He could see the island from where he stood and vowed he would take his brothers there when he rounded them all up for a picnic. He had swooped round and back to St Pepin's Vineyard and a quick peek around Flanders Field told him that his brother was not there. He was beginning to get desperate when he decided to go back home and search again. Getting into Wolfville was easy, a straight line from Flanders Field back again. He ran, his stomach growling at him all the way. With his rigorous morning routine and his already starved body, Saul found that he was always hungry and cold and tired. He had been successfull only twice at hunting whilst being back home- one rabbit and one half-dead squirrel.

"“Gideon? Where aaare you? Gideon? Why're you hiding from your big brother?”"

His voice echoed through the large Victorian Mansion that he shared with his brothers, aunt and Conor. He didn't know if anyone else lived here, and if they did they knew what he was up to. But Saul didn't care, for once, as he bounded up the stairs and skittered to a hault outside his brothers bedroom door. A quick headbutt against the door, repeated three times, let his brother know that he was wanted, before Saul sat back and gazed at the door, waiting to see his brother for the first time in three months.

word count;; 470

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

He had just gotten them down for a nap when a pounding at the door caught his attention, making him jump. Gideon stood up to answer it without thinking, and the now-awakening pups yawned and stood up with him. "No, no, go back to sleep" He told them, shaking his head. He wanted them to take a nap if they would be willing to go to sleep...they were always less cranky after having a nice sleep, he had noticed.

The male jumped down from the bed that he shared with the puppies, stretching, then lifted a paw to scratch at the doorknob until it allowed the door to open. He always had trouble with those knobs..."Saul! Hey...what are you doing back here?" He said, both excited and puzzled. He'd heard that a few siblings had returned, but had been rather preoccupied with the pups.

He gave his brother an affectionate nudge on the shoulder, tail wagging back and forth steadily. "I've been really busy lately..I think that's why we haven't run into each other. Melee and Range take up a lot of my free time." He opened the door farther so that his brother could see inside the room.

<style>
.gideon-silhouette-ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:1px; }
.gideon-silhouette p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.gideon-silhouette b {color:#FFFFFF;}
.gideon-silhouette {background-color:#023586; background-image:url(http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww32 ... able01.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 180px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:13px; width:373px; text-align:justify; }
.gideon-silhouette-border {width:375px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <3

Saul strained to here what was going on inside the room, and allowed a grin to colour his mood when he heard his brothers voice. It was unexpected however, the words he spoke. As if Gideon were addressing someone other than himself, who stood outside the door. An odd squeeking noise also reached his ears. It was safe to say that Saul was confused about all that was going on within his brothers room. What on earth could he have in there that had kept him away from his returned brothers? Saul was almost certain that Ascher had not seen Gideon either, and Aunt Bris had been fairly vague about where their brother was. But now Saul had found him, he was going to find out. Being responsible for his brother meant knowing he was safe and happy. So here he was.

A scratching at the door indicated that his brother was going to appear. His grin widened as the door pushed outward, revealing his brother. He had grown darker, where Saul had grown lighter, and was more black than anything. He was bigger than Saul for the moment, as Saul's ribs were still rather prominant on his chest. Although he had been here nearly two weeks, his strict routine in the mornings ensured that any calories taken the day before were burned away. He had put on just over a two pounds in weight since he'd arrived and it didnt look like he was going to get any better. He was thin and weedy, his coat dull. But his emerald eyes, that connected with that of his brother, shone with a ferocity of missing Gideon. He pounced forward and enclosed his brother in a hug, taking in the weirdest smell as he did so. His brothers words were muffled, but Saul heard them. He seemed confused, to say the least.

"I... we... I mean, Shiloh and I were separated from Ascher and Father in a storm. I've been a lone ranger for two months, trying to find my way back here. I didn't know where else to go..."

His last sentance was rather sad-filled. It seemed his brother was not as excited to see him as he had thought. In fact, he was preoccupied and a little rude. Although his tone had seemed light and excited, there had definately been an undercurrent of something more. Saul pulled back from the embrace, green eyes shimmering softly with tears. They did not fall and the young Stormbringer blinked them quickly away before they threatened to be a problem to him. Gideon was speaking again, explaining himself. Two names jumped out at him and Saul's eyebrows mashed together in confusion. Who were Melee and Range? Perhaps they were the cause of the strange smell that clung to his brothers pelt. As Gideon moved aside to let him into his room, Saul looked at his brother with a wary caution.

"It's okay, brother..."

His tone was distracted as the squeeking from the room grew just a little bit louder. It was a familiar sound now, but still one that didnt fit in Saul's mind. He slunk into the room, green eyes immediately zero-ing in on the two dark forms that tramped around on Gideon's bed. They looked healthy and big, but Saul's mind did not seem to comprehend the fact that his brother seemed to be harbouring pups in his room. Saul edged closer, nose working furiously. Gideon's scent was all over them, and their own puppy smell was a cloak to Gideon's familiar wiff. Confusion swept across his features as he whipped his head round to his brother.

"I don't understand"

word count;; 609

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

<3 <3

There was something about the mansion that made him feel especially safe. It was probably the fact that he had grown up there, himself. Everything about the place was familiar and homey. The scent was admittedly a bit musty, but it didn’t smell bad. The scents of the various luperci that lived there mixed in with the mustiness to give it a very unique smell overall. He could tell that Bris and Conor had been through the area recently, that Nayru didn’t frequent the mansion that much any longer, and that his pups were here much of the time. Their scents were the strongest in this room, however small they were. Other things that made the mansion feel like a safe place was the way that things looked and felt. The carpets here were soft and comforting, the rugs fuzzy and wall-hangings pleasing to look at. There were many windows that gave an outlet to the bits of Dahlia that could be seen from such a vantage point, serving a dual purpose. Gideon could see outside and spot anyone approaching this side of the building…and when he wasn’t standing in the window and blocking the light, it could stream in and provide heat and illumination to the room.

The young male had moved into his own room as he had gotten a bit older. His had a bed, dresser, and small couch in it, a loveseat that matched one of the ones in the common area beyond his door. He preferred to have a downstairs room so that he could watch the pups easier; when they napped, he sometimes went out for a run to make sure that he was staying in shape and keeping himself fit. Gideon wasn’t very muscular but was not overweight, with a large bulky form. It seemed that this was simply how his body was made. Next to his best friend Nayru, or next to the pups, he seemed even larger. Smiling turquoise eyes watched his brother’s reaction, a slightly puzzled look still upon his face. Why was Saul looking so sad? Gideon was happy to see him, even if he didn’t want to make a big show of it and wake the two children up.

”I’m really really glad that you made it back. I thought I’d miss you guys when Dad took you back with him…but I didn’t realize how much I would miss you until now. I can’t believe you did all that by yourself, too! I just started hunting for myself and relying on Aunt Bris…how did you survive like that?” He asked curiously. Obviously Saul was a better hunter than he was! ”You must be a really good hunter. I’m good at fishing…but now that the water’s getting colder I don’t like standing in it too much.” He said. Once he learned how to shift, maybe he could use a pole or something like that…but for now, he only knew a few methods to catching the illusive aquatic creatures. ”This is your home—that’s why you came back. Because your family is here” Gideon said, looking back to his brother and nodding as Saul entered the room.

”Hm?” Gideon thought that everyone knew that the pups had been orphans, abandoned, and that he had found them and brought them home with him. Sauls absence may have prevented him from finding out about it, though, he realized as he watched his brother’s reaction. At first Gideon hadn’t understood what was so confusing about what Saul was seeing. But if no one had told his brother about what had happened, then he could see where it wouldn’t add up. ”I found them. They’re sure cute, huh. I adopted them…but I thought they should keep their last names. It’s the same as Conor’s…so they must be related to him somehow. Conor said it was ok if I raised them, though. The bag I found ‘em in had two names, Melee Soul and Range Soul on it.” He explained. He had been happy to try and give the pups a home after everything that Dahlia had done for him in his early puppyhood.

<style>
.gideon-thuper .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.gideon-thuper p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.gideon-thuper b {color:#EFEFEF; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.gideon-thuper {background-color:#A1A1A1; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010oct/gideon.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:225px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #EFEFEF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#151515; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.gideon-thuper-border {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <3

Green eyes were captivated by the squirming bundles of dark fur on his brothers bed. It was safe to say that the young male was suffering here, from shock and disbelief. The Stormbringer brood had turned seven months old today and Gideon had managed to make himself a father to some abandoned pups. It was absolutely crazy and Saul's brain did not know what to make of it, not one bit. Gideon was responsible for a being other than himself, two beings in fact. He was numb at the moment. However, he moved forward, taking in Gideon's room and allowing a soft smile to polish his face. For a moment, he stood by the bed, muzzle hestitating by their forms, before he took a deep breath and pushed forward. In the age-old guesture, Saul sniffed Gideon's children from head to tail, trying to find something, anything, that could hint to who they actually belonged to. His brothers tone interupted him and Saul laughed aloud.

His brother had, incorrectly, made the assumption that he was good at hunting because he had survived on his own in the wild for two months. But it seemed as though Gideon's eyes had been blinded to the misfortune of others, for Saul was still dangerously thin. His cheekbones stuck out at angles, his ribs could be so easily counted on both sides of his body. His legs were slimmer than they should be and his coat still hummed with the dullness that came with a lack of nutrition. If he bared his teeth at his brother, Saul could show him the pale pinkness of his gums, another sign that he was not eating properly. However, something in his mind stopped him from pointing out his brothers mistakes. He wanted his brother to think this of him- he wanted his brother to be impressed that he was a good hunter. So he turned with a smile and nodded eagerly.

"It took me a while, but once I got the hang of it, the rabbits were no match for my ninja-skills. I'll have to teach my baby brother how to hunt the rabbits, and he can teach me to catch the fish. Maybe when it gets warmer again, we can go to the river and fish! Suviving is easy when you have to..."

His last sentence was delivered with a rather penseive tone. However, his brother had spoken again and Saul was nothing if he wasnt a listener. As the story unfolded, Saul looked from his brother to his children (as they were now) and felt a bubble of pride in his stomach. His baby brother had been brave enough to jump into a fire for a satchel that he didnt even know had living creatures inside it. Green eyes shone with this pride, his tail wagging behind him as he reached around his brothers neck for the second cuddle of their meeting. However, as well as the pride in his stomach, there was something else. Something he could not put his paw on. He tried pushing it aside, shining his brother a smile as he pulled back from the embrace.

"Well congratulations, Superman. Melee and Range are very lucky to have a daddy like you. I guess that means I have a niece and a nephew, right?"

He pondered after this for a moment. They were techinically, by blood, related to Conor. However, through adoption, they were related to Gideon, Saul, Ascher, Shiloh and Bris. It seemed as though, through these pups, their hypothetical family had become an actual family, even it it was just through adoption. A gentle smile stained his lips as he watched one of them yawn and rub its muzzle against its brother or sister. He had no idea which one was which, so he would refer to them as 'it' until he did. A gentle chuckle escaped him as he glanced back at Gideon and twisted his head.

"I think they're sleepy?"

His voice was uncertain and Saul realised that, for the first time in his life, he was way out of his depth. There was nothing he knew about pups, no way for him to lead his brother. His brother had broken away from their foursome and found a family of his own in their absence. He didnt know what to say to Gideon, how to act. He was sure he would learn all these things in time, but the feeling of falling had seized the young Stormbringer and he seemed unable to shake it off.

word count;; 756

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

We should have them run into some predicament!

Gideon was very large for his age, and it was almost certain that he would only grow to be bigger and bigger. Their mother had been quite large, and he wondered if his siblings would also grow to be around the same size as she had been and as he was becoming. There was one thing that the male had been worrying about for the last month or so, ever since he had seen his best friend Nayru this way. Shifting. She was able to do it, now, and he was very curious about it…but also very afraid of it. Would it just happen to him someday? Or would he be able to control it? There were so many questions.

Gideon had indeed noticed that Saul was thin, but hadn’t made the connection between that and hunting for food. Saul was alive, which meant that he had to have caught enough food to live. That fact was enough for the young male to respect his brother. Perhaps Gideon was so large because of the nutrition that he had received while growing up. Aunt Bris and Conor had always kept him very well fed, after all. He nodded at the invitation of hunting lessons. It was something to think about for when the pups were a bit older. There was one part of what his sibling had said that he did not understand, though. ”What is a ninja, brother?”

He was very protective of the pups, especially with them being so young. At first he hadn’t wanted anyone near them at all besides the very closest members of the family, overly afraid for the pups’ safety, but was a little more relaxed now. He wouldn’t mind introducing them to other members of the pack and allowing them to meet. He felt completely at ease with Saul here, as Saul was his brother. Gideon nodded when Saul asked about them being his niece and nephew. That was correct! ”I guess since I adopted them..then I am their dad”

The pups were indeed sleepy, not waking up even with the pair’s voices so nearby. ”They do seem sleepy. But that’s a good thing, they need their nap. Melee is the darker one, and the boy Range is the lighter one. Melee has a twisted paw on her front foot…but it has always been that way. She can still get around. While they’re asleep, we should go out for a run or something quick. I don’t get out of the house much.” He said .There was one thing that he had been thinking a lot about lately, though, and it sidetracked him as he turned back for the door. ”I have something for you, though, before we go. You can take it when we get back, if you want. Aunt Bris gave me a dagger that dad had left for me...it’s really nice. I do like it, but I don’t like to fight unless I have to and I definitely never want to use it. Do you think you would use it…after you learn how to shift? It’s inside that box..up there on the dresser.” He’d just spoken of the other thought that had been plaguing him lately. ”I’m a little scared of shifting.” He admitted.

<style>
.gideon-thuper {background-color:#A1A1A1; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010oct/gideon.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:225px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #EFEFEF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#151515; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.gideon-thuper-border {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; we should... not sure what though!

While Saul was still skinny and small, it appeared his brother had been well fed enough to bulk out and grow big. Saul had the bone structure to be as big as his brother, they were both large in size. But Gideon had, apparently, been treated well by their Aunt. Still, Saul could not chastise his brother for staying behind- it was where he belonged. Cinnamon-backed ears perked forward as Gideon's tones became confused. He asked what a ninja was. Saul was stuck here It was a phrase he had picked up when he'd met people, about a week ago. He was sure that someone mentioned the word. However, Saul was just as clueless about its meaning as his brother and had lucked on using it in the right context. While he never wanted to admit that he didnt know something, this was one thing Saul had to admit to.

"I have no idea, brother. I heard it a while back and I never stopped to find out what it meant. I assume it means you're good at something..."

He offered with a soft roll of his shoulders. The need to impress his brother was coming on stronger now. Gideon had completely outdone Saul this time, and there was no doubt that he was impressed by his brothers actions. But Saul was the oldest, he should be the one that Gideon looked up to. As Gideon answered his question about them being his neice and nephew, Saul allowed a soft smile to race across his lips. Despite the complete weirdness of this situation, he felt the need to laugh. He caught the instinct and pressed it down, before allowing a subtler grin to spread across his lips. There would be no end to the teasing now that Gideon admitted he was a father.

"Pappa Bear"

He muttered before promptly looking away and laughing. He was determined to wind his little brother up about his parenthood now, trying to find the light in this situation. It seemed rather morbid for Saul to think of these pups as a curse, but he had been the one his siblings went to for so long, it was weird that Gideon didnt. His brother launched into an explanation of his puppies, revealig that the darker one was Melee and the lighter one was Range. He said that Melee had some kind of deformed foot, and a concerned look washed across his face. However, before he could comment on this, his brother dangled a morsel of paradise in front of his face. He proposed they go running together. Despite the fact that Saul had already run most of the permiter of Dahlia de Mai this morning, he wanted to prove to Gideon that he was up for a challenge.

"We should have a race, brother! To the beach, perhaps?"

Saul spoke excitedly, tail thwapping back and forward for a moment before his brother spoke again. And what he said shocked Saul. He had never heard of a dagger of their fathers. For a split second he wondered why the dagger had been given to Gideon- he wasnt the oldest. But logic kicked in and Saul berated himself for thinking such things. He had probably still been lost in travelling when this had all happened- he hadnt been around to receive such a gift. Saul nodded softly, an agreement that he would take the dagger. He was tempted to trot over to the dresser and see the dagger, but instinct held him back. He was a pacifist and knives scared him. But he would take up this heirloom, he would keep it safe.

"Thank you Gideon... I will keep it safe. I'll get it when we come back in!"

His voice was light and airy, a tone completely innappropriate for the situation at hand. He should have been serious. But he was happy all the same. However, as his gaze wandered back to the sleeping pups, Gideon surprised him once again. His admission that he was scared of shifting was something that Saul had not put a lot of time an effort into thinking about. He figured one day he would wake up in his Optime form and everything would be good. It hadnt dawned on him that it might not be that easy. Green eyes swept over his brother, only pausing for a moment before he reached over and touched his nose to his brothers shoulder.

"I'm scared too... Why dont we do it together soon?"

Perhaps they could talk to Aunt Bris and Conor about shifting, since they were both well adept in the technique. The idea was in the back of Saul's mind, but right now he wanted to run again. With a cheeky smile, Saul jostled his brother gently, indicating he wished to leave.

word count;; 801

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

Gideon wasn't sure what a ninja was either and couldn't hold it against his brother. They were young, still, after all! They didn't know everything yet, even if they wanted to believe that they did at times. His tail wagged behind him and he grinned back at Saul. He was really glad that his sibling was here...he'd really missed him, and being around him was so awesome. Saul was someone that he had always gotten along with, though Gideon had followed their smart sister Shiloh around for most of their early puppyhood.

"Yeah! definitely!! And getting the knife afterward sounds great" He would love to go for a race! He'd test his skills against his lankier brother and see who came out on top. Sibling rivalries were always the best. He gave a playful growl, heading out into the hallway and starting out through the living room. "Let's talk as we RUN! Unless you can't keep up" He challenged, going through to the front porch. "What do you think shifting will be like?" He asked when he reached the front of the porch, ready to set off into the woods for the beach.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <3

Gideon seemed content to take the bait that Saul had thrown, the soft jostling and the excitement in his eyes enough to provoke a reaction out of the dark boy. Saul was tired and hungry, a feature that he seemed constantly tied to at the moment. He had run the entire length of Dahlia this morning, a feat he had not tried since he first day here when he had been naive to the size of his home. That was his first lap of the lands and in his starving state it had taken him a long time to get home. He had been sensible after that, taking a route often to the beach, somtimes to Berwick and back or maybe to Flanders Field and around St Pepin's Vineyard. But never the whole way around Dahlia again. However, there was no way on Saul's life that he was going to admit defeat and let his brother beat him. Despite his pacifist nature, Saul was competitive when it came to his brothers. It had a lot to do with proving himself, but either way he was not giving up this fight. He nodded in return to his brothers agreement of retrieving the knife afterwards before they were both out on the front porch, facing their race.

"Of course I can keep up, little brother. They question is- has being a nurse made Giddy lose his touch?"

He teased with a playful snap at his brothers paws. Now that they were ready to go, Saul felt the adrenaline, that had recently become a friend to him, kick in. He breathed deeply, hearing his brothers question as he exhaled in a gush. With a cheeky grin and a final playful snap at his brothers paw, Saul set off at a reasonable but fast pace up the path and away from the house. He loved the feeling of the wind against his face and his fur, his ears peeling back against his head and his tail tucking up to give him a more streamlined shape. Although Gideon was healthier than him, it was true that he had been cooped in the house for a while now. Saul "trained" every morning with his routine runs- he was much more adept to win this than his brother. Gideon was mostly muscle anyway, which would eventually weigh him down. Turning back to make sure his brother was following him, Saul answered.

"I have no idea, brother. Maybe we well have to visualise or imagine or something. Maybe it will be like falling and not knowing what is going to catch you. Maybe its like flying."

Saul responded, adrenaline pumping through his veins and making him laugh. It turned into a full blown laugh, the air knocked from him for a moment. He wanted to fly, and fall and anything else that would continue this feeling of bliss. Of running with his brother and knowing they were safe and they would never be separated again. He didnt even care where they were going, as long as they were running together.

word count;; 512

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

He did spend a lot of time caring for the pups, time that he could have been out doing something with himself. Gideon did go out on runs on occasion, but had never tried to really race someone before. Saul was thinner and weighed less, factors that would almost ensure his brother a quick and easy win. He didn't know how fast he was or slow...whether he was as good at running or worse at it than other wolves.

Saul pulled even farther ahead, still speaking. Flying, eh? "Well...I wouldn't want to fly anyway. I don't like being too high up." He shouted, the wind rushing into his ears and making him almost unable to hear a response. He wondered if Saul could even hear him at all. Gideon pumped his legs a little faster, trying to keep up, at least. Was Saul even trying to out-run him?

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; what predicament should they run into then?

Strong legs stretched deep into the ground, elongating his body into a flourish before he pulled them back and his body retracted into a bunched up shape again. This motion, catching and releasing his legs in seconds was something that Saul enjoyed totally and completely. He rather imagined that where Gideon took great pleasure in playing with his children, making sure they were happy, Saul took great pleasure in running. It helped clear his mind, helped him sort through anything that bothered him the day before. He was a peaceful soul, but recently he had been getting worked up over a few things that normally he would have let slide. He wondered if it was because he was changing, his body shifting to get ready for the ultimate move, when he would stand on two legs and get his thumbs. His body had been feeling strange too, he would often be in the afternoon sun and shivers would race up his spine. He tried not to worry about it but it was difficult. Shouted words from his brother made the young male realised just how far behind Gideon actually was.

"I dont know how to fly, Gideon! I don't even know if you can fly. But I would imagine being able to fly would be like freedom... and shifting is becoming free!"

He shouted back, his words not making much grammitcal sense but he assumed Gideon would understand them anyway. They had reached the trees and here Saul needed to slow down. On his morning runs, he usually avoided the trees. They were sometimes tricky to dodge and the mornings were his thinking time. He didnt need the extra worry of having to dodge them as well as trying to let his mind go. But he was focussed now, determined to beat his brother. He had a clear lead, and he really should have slowed down so they could talk properly, but he was into the game far to deep. He glanced back, green eyes colliding with that of his darker brother and he grinned.

"Giddy... What do you want to be when you grow up? A hunter? A warrior? A pupsitter?"

The last suggestion was delivered with a soft teasing note. He wasn't being cruel when he told his brother he was cooped up in the house, or he was an old wolf, or taunted him with words like 'daddy'. Saul never intended these joking teases to hurt his brother. They were simply that, just taunts that Saul had always delivered all his siblings in one way or another. He was the eldest, and therefore had most responsibility. But he took great pride in the fact that almost all of the Stormbringer bunch could tease each other without causing offense. The trees were thinning and they would reach the beach soon, he was sure.

word count;; 475

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

Well...the thread title is "going on a bear hunt" Wink Bear??

He ran along, breath coming quickly now. He was starting to get a little tired, but could see that the trees were beginning to thin out a little ahead. The ocean was near! Gideon slowed down a little bit as the sand began; his brother was going to win, so why bother continuing to run? He turned back to the woods behind him, though, wondering for a moment. As he had exited the woods he could have sworn that he had heard movement. Saul was ahead of him, and this had sounded like it'd been from behind.

"Just a packmember. I don't know what, yet." He said, shrugging, as he walked toward Saul. "Maybe a scout. I dunno. What do you want to be?" He heard another sound behind him and turned backward, peering into the woods once more. "I could swear I heard something behind me when I came out." He explained.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; makes sense to me!

The tress were thinning nicely ahead, hard dirt floor softening and becoming infiltrated with the occasional grain of sand. He had maintained the lead consistently, his brother no where near him for the enitre run. He allowed a cheering 'whoop' to rush from his mouth as his claws sank into the sand the beach possessed. He had won. His brother hadn't even come close to beating him. He wondered briefly whether Gideon had allowed Saul to win, but his darker brother's previous comment about him not being able to keep up blew that out of the water. If Gideon had wanted Saul to win, he wouldn't have taunted him as if he was going to win. For a moment, he heard movement behind him, but laughed gently to himself. Gideon was behind him, nothing more. His words came again and Saul was pleased to see that they had maintained a conversation whilst running. Still, it seemed his brother also had no idea what he wished to be when he grew up.

"A packmember? That's rubbish! A scout is more like it! Or maybe a warrior? Can you see yourself as a warrior Giddy?"

He teased gently, turning as his brother came up beside him. They were so different, the Stormbringer boys. Gideon was almost stark black now, his colourings darkening over his life. Saul had started off with a darker brother covering, almost black in places. When they were smaller, all three of the boys had looked very similar. But Saul had developed a tawny overcoat, his underside's flushing white. Ascher had turned more two toned while Gideon had grown darker. The only link that they shared now was their emerald green eyes, that were so the same right now. Though they had been through different experiances, they had both found them trying- the pairs of eyes looking at each other were equal in age, yet that age did not correlate to their birthday. Their eyes were much older. His brothers question danced in front of his face and he smiled, a little sheepishly.

"I don't know either. I think I want to be a healer... or a hunter!"

He replied with a soft chuckle, tail flashing back and forth. His breath came in pants, the run exhilerating but tiring. He had already run the length of Dahlia today, so another little run seemed to have zapped the strength out of him. However, as his brothers worried tones filled his ears, Saul felt the tell-tale protectiveness kick in. No matter how tired he was, his brother sounded worried and scared, so Saul would no longer be tired. It was as simple as that. He cocked his head to the side, listening to the gentle sound of the forest. He was about to shake his head and tell Gideon it was nothing, when a large rustling escaped from the undergrowth. It was too loud and noisy to be a deer or a rabbit and a wolf would never have made that much noise. Ears slicked back as he turned to his brother.

"I think there's something in there..."

He whispered, body moving alongside Gideon so they both faced the forest head on. The rustlings came again and Saul's tail flickered beneath him. He was protective of all his siblings, yes, but that didnt mean he didnt get scared. Green eyes widened as the branches parted and the biggest mass of dirty brown fur assaulted them. It was a bear, and it was huge. A defeaning roar threatened to throw both Stormbringer boys backward- it seemed they had angered it in some way. This was not good.

word count;; 605

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

Big Grin I love threading with you, by the way. You play Saul so well! <3

"Maybe a fisher" He said. That being the one thing that he was already really good at. They lived on the ocean...there was always new types of fish for him to try and catch! Maybe he'd even be able to catch a shark or something big like that someday! He had heard stories about sharks...and knew not to go to deep into the water. He usually stopped when his paws couldn't touch the ground. He was a cautious wolf. "I think you'd be good at either. Or why not do both?" He said.

Gideon peered back into the forest alongside his brother, frowning. "I think there is, too." The beast that emerged from the forest was large, bigger than either of the two. If they had been able to shift they may have been close to its height...but its mass? No way. "Whats its problem?!" He shouted as he backed up from the creature. He didn't want it to rush at him or anything! "Does it have a baby nearby or something?"

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; awwh thanks James! I hope to do you proud!!

Gideon still managed to answer his previous questions, despite the fact that they were faced with a bear. It seemed odd that his brother had still answered his previous comments, but Saul assumed this was Gideon's way of keeping calm. His brother mentioned something about a fisher and Saul gave him a flashy grin. They would get out of this alive and Gideon was going to teach him how to fish for himself. That was the end of that story. They just had to actually manouver themselves out of this sticky situation without killing themselves. He nodded softly at his brothers appraising words, telling him that he could do both if he wanted to. In any other circumstance he would have continued the conversation, tail wagging softly and grin displayed. They were getting along well, having a nice friendly conversation and a nice friendly race. It wasn't so friendly anymore.

"Thanks Giddy. Shame you didnt consider warrior... we could have gotten out of this much easier otherwise!"

His voice rumbled softly, tail coming out from its tucked-up position to waft softly over his brother's own tail in a sign of comfort. His teasing words were once again quieted as the bear gave a mighty roar, large clawed paws sauntering towards them. The bear was powerful, there was no doubt about that. Saul backed up slowly, hoping that his brother had enough sense to back away with him. His paws sunk into the sand and Saul felt the stab of dispair. Briefly his mind wandered back to their home, to Gideon's room and the knife that they had left behind. That surely would have come into some use to them know. He reprimanded himself at that thought- despite their having the weapon they had no hands to use it, and he surely should not have been thinking to hurt the creature.

"I don't know Gideon. We haven't threatened its baby if it has one. Maybe its injured or angry... We should just get away before it decides to act on whatever is making it mad."

He spoke quickly and softly, the voice of reason in this panicked situation. Assuming that Gideon would follow him, his back legs sunk into the sand. They would be at the ocean soon if they didnt find a way to get past the bear and back through the woods. All four paws stood in the sand when the idea hit him. The sand was a disadvantage to both parties, but there was no doubt that Saul and Gideon were lighter than the bear. If they ran faster than the bear on the sand, they would outrun it as it lumbered and was slowed. His quick thinking mind cared little for anything that could go wrong and he didnt have any time to think of the ramifications as the bear gave a final roar and started to charge. Ears pinned back, Saul twisted his body and whispered to Gideon.

"Run, fast!"

He turned, finding his feet and lumbering through the sand. He hoped beyound anything that Gideon was following him. He couldnt quite get the rhythm of flying over the sand, but he knew he would get it soon. It was just a matter of getting it before the bear caught them.

word count;; 545

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

Awww~!! Now I'm stuck with what they should do, though XD

There was much about wildlife that Gideon had yet to learn. He had encountered some creatures while hunting, of course, but there were rare ones like bears that he hadn't come across ever before. Gideon was thus unsure of what he ought to do in this type of situation. He looked to Saul for direction, wanting some clue to what he should do, and Saul gave it to him readily. Run away!

He took off after his brother, shouting as he went. "Yeah, but if I was a warrior and I was slain, you'd have to take care of it! At least this way we both have our hides!" A quick look behind them was all that he needed to see to know that running away had been the best choice; the bear seemed to be returning to the forest. "I think it worked--now that we're away it's leaving too. Whew!!"

"I think it'll be a story to tell Melee and Range when I get home..they'll be surprised!" He said as he ran alongside Saul. That was, if Gideon wasn't so exhausted that he fell right asleep from all of the running. "I've never run so much in my liiiiife" He groaned, slowing down a bit.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; Ahh, you could have had Giddy slip or stumble, some tense moment where Saul thought he would lose his brother! haha

He looked back, glad to see that Gideon was on the ball and was running after him with abandon. Where Saul had had trouble with the sand before, he picked up speed and sped across the bay till they were far enough away from the bear for it to give up. Turning around and watching Gideon approach, Saul felt like collapsing. The bear gave a mighty roar before turning and ambling off back to its home. There were other ways back to Wolfville, which was good. His legs trembled beneath him and he fought hard to stay upright. Gideon had only had their short race here and the run from the bear to wear him down- Saul had been a lot more active in his day than his brother. He was panting hard, stomach feeling tight inside him. He was so tired he could have slept here, but he would not show this weakness. He remembered the words shouted at him from Gideon on their flight across the beach and he smiled softly at his brother's logic.

"Good thinking Giddy. At least we're both alive and uninjured..."

He managed to get out, breath sharp and white in his throat. He didnt know how much he could take, and if Gideon considering suggesting running back to the mansion they lived in, Saul knew he would give in. The adrenaline that had kicked in was wearing off, his legs turning to lead as they tried to keep him upright. For a frightening moment Saul was reminded of his untimely landing on Dahlia's borders, how he had been so tired and hungry he couldnt move. Bris had taken him home then, but he really didnt fancy the humiliation of having his brother drag him home. He managed to control himself long enough to sit down and the relief washed over him instantly. He listened to Gideon talk about Melee and Range, an irrational spurt of jealousy rising in him. He squashed it quickly, an easy grin taking over instead.

"Perhaps we could tell them that Papa fought off the big bad bear and saved the day. I'm sure they would enjoy that a lot more than a quick explanation of how we ran away..."

He teased with a grin, tail flickering gently back and forth as he tried to catch his breath. It was getting easier to breath now, his chest not nearly as tight as it had been a moment ago. Saul let his gaze wander out to see, spotting a dark shape not far away. He wondered what it was, puppy-like curiosity gripping him with a wild grin once more. What was out there, could they reach it? He wanted to stand and investigate but he didnt think his screaming muscles would take it. Gideon spoke again with a groan and Saul chuckled softly. He had probably run like that on at least three occasions when faced by raving loners when he was alone. But he didnt want to remind his brother of the fact that he had had it hard- he didnt need reminding any more than Saul wanted to tell him. Instead he nodded with empathy, green eyes sparking with common interest.

"I know, right? I wonder what that bear's problem was anyhow!"

He said reflexively, glancing back the way they'd come, checking if the bear had decided on a sneakier route towards them. He couldnt hear much, which was reassuring. He turned back to Gideon, the dark shape out to sea catching his eye once more. He would ask Gideon if he knew what it was in a moment.

word count;; 601

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

I GOT IT. TREASURE MAP. ?!?!

He was relieved when they both slowed down a little bit. His side was really starting to hurt...it ached with each gasping breath that he took in. He laughed a bit when Saul mentioned telling the pups a story about how he had fought off the bear. It'd probably scare them! He would definitely have to tell them not to go around bears or any creatures that were bigger than them, so they wouldn't get hurt.

Gideon spotted the dark thing ahead of them as well, and continued to walk toward it. What...the heck was it? Maybe it wasn't the same thing that Saul had seen from back there, but now that they were getting closer Gideon could make out the form of a dark metal box sticking out of the sand. He kicked at it with one paw and it sprung open. Inside was something rolled up...Hmmm."What is this?" He asked Saul, nudging the rolled up piece of paper to his brother.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
ooc;; A treasure map?!? Are you fricking kidding me? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ROFL... Their not going to be able to open it or read it! But okay, if you want!

Pleased that his brother was safe beside him once more, Saul could allow himself to relax and breath properly. He was sat upon the sand, his legs had turned to jelly and he was seriously wondering how he was going to get home. He would never let Gideon carry him home and he wasnt going to use his younger brother as a support. But for a short second, panic gripped him as he questioned what he was actually going to do to get home. HIs execise for the day was severly straining and he found it difficult to keep upright through the strain on his muscles. But he would stay up, he would not show this weakness to his brother. So when Gideon trotted forward and nudged a dark box with his paw, Saul could only twist his body around and look at what was happening- he didnt have the strength to get up and investigate.

"I can't see... wait a sec Giddy and I'll come and see."

He told his younger brother, taking a few deep breaths and closing his eyes for just a moment. In that split second to seemed his eyes had been glued shut and the young male was sorely tempted to lay upon the sand and sleep. But his brothers words echoed in his head and he wanted to know what it was his brother had found. So he forced them open and padded forward, lethargy weighing down his paws. Green eyes brightened somewhat at the aged and rolled piece of paper at the bottom of the metal chest. He had never heard stories of buried treasure when he was younger- his life had been so tumultuous up until now that there hadn't exactly been a lot of time for story telling. But there was a certain excitement at this find that the young male couldnt explain. After all, to his perception it was just a rolled up piece of paper.

"Grab it and we'll see if we can open it!"

He instructed his brother, more through his own energy conservation than anything else. He needed to go home soon, but this seemed like a better thing to do right now. No sooner had the excitement kicked in than the swoop of doubt in his stomach made him worry. What if it was something dangerous, not to be touched. Maybe there was a reason it was in a crate, away from just anyone's prying eyes. But Gideon was probably half way to getting the piece of paper out now and Saul didnt want to be the nagging older brother who worried about everything, at least not openly. So he sat once more, muscles beginning to tremble slightly in their plight to keep him upright. You never know, Gideon might have to carry him home at this rate.

word count;; 472

"speech"
[/html]
[html]

They had run a lot, and sitting down to look at the map would probably help them recover a bit. Gideon already felt a little better, if not a bit thirsty, as he nosed the map toward Saul. His brother wanted him to open it, it seemed, and he bit at the piece of string that tied it shut, pulling on it. The string snapped easily enough and Gideon's tail wagged eagerly.

He unfolded the map carefully, putting one paw on one end and nosing it open with the other. He then put his other paw on the other end of the map to hold it open so that it couldn't whip shut again. "What is this?!" He could remember hearing about something like this before...he could see little landmarks on the old piece of paper, and there was a big X farther along the beachline on the paper. It looked like a depiction of the part of Dahlia that they stood on.

"What do you think that X is for, Saul?" He asked his brother. Saul had done a bit more travelling than Gideon had...maybe he would know!! He was very excited about the prospect of another adventure now that they were out of the bear's sights and safe.

<style>
.gideon-thuper {background-color:#A1A1A1; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/Hogwarts/gifts/2010oct/gideon.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:225px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #EFEFEF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#151515; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
</style>[/html]