October Sunrise
[html]
blah blah blah. Look at this pretty table you made me. I never saved the images to my own photobucket >.<

The delicate foliage crumbled in his mouth, milk teeth now fully replaced by adult teeth. The new teeth he sported were not really meant for such tasks and when he missed they clicked together sharply, a hollow snap as his jaws clipped empty air. Yet when he succeeded in grabbing the leaves as they fell off their branches, dancing down towards autumn’s floor, the fangs proved far too powerful for such childish games. The leaves were simply annihilated as jaws and teeth meant for crushing bone and flesh took hold, shredding the greener ones and crumpling the red to brown variety. It was not only his adult mouth that gave him such an advantage. His body, lankier and more awkward by the day, had muscle mass that in weeks prior had only been a child’s fat, put there by mother’s milk and made his downy fur oh so soft. He was no longer that pudgy creature with fur soft as a rabbit’s. It was growing thicker, coarser, preparing for the winter before him and the many coming years. That was nothing to say of his mental capabilities, which in comparison to his physical growth was growing by leaps and bounds.

Nearly four and a half months, which really was not so long a time but to Pripyat it was forever, had passed since his birth and his memories of the first month or so were hazy at best. He remembered the lighthouse of course, but it was as if life at the ranch was all he ever knew. And his current state of being did not shock or surprise him, certainly to him the changes seemed gradual and almost unnoticeable, but to the trained eyes of adults, certainly his mother, it was a rapid development. In another week or so he’d weigh more, be faster, smarter and in a few months time his size would rival his father’s and the other males of the pack, although Pripyat did not think that far in advance. He was quite content to be snapping fall leaves out of the air outside the ranch, going about his life in the best way he knew how.

His game continued for nearly an hour as the sun rose higher in the sky, illuminating not only his ocean eyes but the fire of autumn. When finally he felt he had had enough, Pripyat slid down on his belly, chest rising and falling fast. How easy it was to wear one’s self out! And yet there was another leaf, this one deep red with edges of gold and so slowly it fell… Snap. He landed perfectly, the torn leaf protruding from smiling lips as the boy circled back around, spitting the greenery at his feet.

[/html]
[html]
:o As long as the member is still around, I usually save the picture in my pb account. np!

She had noticed the changes that were taking place in the land, but wasn’t one to stop and admire them or pay them too much mind. Addison always seemed to have some sort of an agenda, some mission for each day that she would try and accomplish. She had been to the city and had met a wolf named Ouija, and he was what occupied her thoughts on this day. She’d gone to Halifax in search of toys for Grace to play with, to give her something to do during the day when Addison wasn’t around. The usually apathetic female was taking duties somewhat seriously now that she was back, trying to show her father that she respected his lead and would follow his wishes. For once, she had to pull her own load in a pack. Responsibilities. The female hoped to advance upward in the ranking tier, to someday stand beside Geneva and her father in Phoenix Valley. Her absence from the pack had taught her a few things about life, and she wanted to teach them to everyone else. She still had her own personal agenda, yes, but was incorporating pack duties as a part of her day to day schedule.

A yawn escaped the muzzle of the brown and cinnamon wolf, bi-colored eyes closing as her jaws opened widely. She’d been up since dawn with her little sister, the small firecracker of a pup having woken her up as early as always, and was feeling rather drowsy as the day went on. Addison was dressed in something to ward off a bit of the autumn chill, a large gray hoodie covering her top half. She liked having somewhere to store her things so that she wouldn’t have to carry them in her hands. Today the wolf was headed out to the parts of the fence that were the farthest away from the ranch. She had been told that there were some holes in it that could use fixing before an animal got caught in them, and carried a few small tools in her hoodie pocket to help her with the task.

Leaves crunched underfoot as she walked, creating a steady rhythm. The trail that she was walking on was a pretty common one to walk, and she was surprised that she hadn’t come across anyone yet that morning. Phoenix Valley had used to be full of life, but Addison seemed to be running into fewer and fewer people these days. She supposed that as long as she, Geneva, Jefferson, and two other adults remained that they could call themselves a pack, and that was what mattered. They were small at the moment, but such a thing had happened before and they always bounced back from it. Maybe by the time Grace was ready to enter the adult ranks, the pack would be flourishing again.

The rhythm of her footsteps paused, then died out completely as she caught sight of something up ahead. Was someone there? She listened carefully, ears perked in that direction, brow furrowed in concentration. Her nose tested the breeze, trying to pick up a scent. Aha, there it was. Addison took a few crunchy steps forward, peering around the bend. ”Hellooooooo?” She called. There was something about this scent that smelled quite familiar, and she had a name in mind when she caught sight of the younger wolf. Pripyat!

[/html]
[html]

The voice that called out to him made the poor boy nearly jump out of his skin. Spinning around, wide eyed, the slate colored creature came face to face with a female he did not know. But she smelled strongly of his father and with his limited logic he knew she must not be bad, because Jefferson wouldn't spend too much time with anyone whose heart was in the wrong place. Yet that she could creep up on him so easily and he had never seen this woman before startled him. Had she been in Phoenix Valley long? Was he a bad member for not knowing? Should he know? Did Mother and Jefferson expect him to? For a long moment his ocean eyes simply stared up at her, but when she made no move or noise he allowed his muscle, tense and ready to spring in any which way, relax.

"Hello! I'm Pripyat!" The long grey tail connected to his rump began to rhythmically beat against the ground. Yet he didn't know if his introduction sufficed. Who was Pripyat anyway? Part of him expected anyone who knew Jefferson or Geneva, and that was anyone in Phoenix Valley, to know the name. Yet even as young as he was he his ego was not so swelled, and if she didn't know who Pripyat was that was okay. Not ideal, but okay. They could still be friends, he was quite sure. "You want to catch leaves with me?" And why would she, it was so much fun.

[/html]
[html]

She had been meaning to find the boy for some time now, and was glad that she'd come across him. Addison had only just returned to the pack, and she had many members to meet and catch up with now. She had to figure out who was still around and who had taken off, though. The girl knew that to move up in the ranks she would have to get to know the packmembers all over again. She'd also have to find out about the packs in the area and do a few other duties around the lands.

But it was what she wanted. Addi wanted to be a little higher up than she was currently...she'd been in the pack before but had left it, and had to prove herself again. The pup before her spoke up excitedly as she approached. She didn't want to scare the little dude and stood a few yards off at first, slowly coming forward as they spoke. ”I was hoping to meet you, Pripyat. I'm Addison--I'm your sister. I just came back from..er..a journey.” She explained.

She hoped that he would accept that; most pups were simple. But some liked to ask questions...tons and tons of questions. He wanted to catch leaves and she looked at him for a moment, unsure of what to say, before nodding in agreement. "Where's the best leaf catching territory at?"

[/html]
[html]
LOLOLOL Pripyat has some issues about mommy and daddy and sharing.

Brows furrowed at the older girl, who claimed to be his sister. That was impossible. He was Mother’s only child! As Pripyat opened his mouth to say so Jefferson flashed before his eyes. Oh yes, perhaps his father had said something about having a daughter, but Pripyat had never questioned it. She hadn’t been around and hadn’t been likely to return… and yet here she was. For a long moment he was stunned to silence. There had been many occasions where jealousy had seeped into his young heart, unwanted of course, when he thought of sharing Geneva too much. Yet he had never considered losing Jefferson to another. The boy knew that both his mother and father would scoff at his feelings, reassure him that loving others did not mean loving him less, but sometimes, no matter how hard he struggled to believe that, it was hard to accept.

Exhaling with intent he eyed the girl carefully, and for the moment did not comment on their relations. Perhaps, if he said nothing than nothing would change. Except so much had already changed. The lighthouse was a distant memory and Pripyat shared the ranch house with so many others now. Grace danced before him and he knew, from their short meeting and the strong scent that Addison had on her, they had come together. "The best leaf hunting spot is right here." Which he was only sure of because it was the only spot he had ever hunted leaves in. Yet breaking the silence felt good and he focused on the explanation of leaf hunting, forgetting for the moment that his older sister of sorts was before him. "You wait until one starts to fall free from the tree and then you jump and rip it to shreds!" And there was one now… "Like this!" The exclamation barely made it pass his lips as he sprung up, snapping the yellow and red maple leaf up, landing and spitting it right at Addison’s feet.

[/html]
[html]

She had never really cared much for pups, but supposed that she should like the ones that she was related to. This little pipsqueak didn't look much like Jefferson and more like Geneva with his gray coat. Addison wasn't blood related to Jefferson but seemed to carry some of his qualities anyway; her pelt was a mixture of browns and reds, somewhat like her adopted father's. She looked down at the pup, bi-colored eyes curious. Why was he looking at her that way? He didn't say anything, though, so neither did she.

There were a few different kinds of trees here, but a thought stuck out in her mind. She had seen a really interesting looking tree when she'd been outside of the inferni border once. One so big that a wolf probably could have climbed inside of it! It must have been very old, or something. The thought disappeared as the boy explained the concept of leaf hunting. She listened carefully and watched his example. She was taller..so it'd probably be easier for her.

Addison could reach a few of the branches above her head so she moved a little bit to an area where they were higher up. As soon as one would fall she'd reach out her hand and snatch it up. Did it count if she didn't catch it with her mouth? She looked to Pripyat for further explanation of the rules. "Do I need to catch it in my mouth? Don't they taste bad?" She asked. "There was this one tree I saw one time...it had such big leaves on it. It'd be fun to play this game with."

[/html]
[html]
sorry for the wait James. Was on unofficial hiatus and then had to catch up with Nayruuuu.

Pripyat watched as Addison took a turn at the game. The results were very different, and Pripyat had to admit, much less exciting with the newer optime version. It seemed all Addison really had to do was reach up and close her fist to catch up the falling leaf. Perhaps it was her size, or age, but she seemed not nearly as engaged in the game as he had been and when she asked if her way was okay Pripyat was thoroughly torn. On one hand he didn’t think that there really was any one wrong way to play, and there was no reason to be rude and tell Addison she was doing it wrong. Yet without the leaping and snapping of teeth something seemed to be missing. Thankfully the tawny girl gave him reason to ignore the first question as she voiced another, and he hoped that with his silence she would just assume whatever response she wished for most.

"Oh, they taste horrendous. Like grass." And yet he spoke with a big grin on his face. And in his answer Pripyat had inadvertently admitted to sampling grass. The boy did not expand on how, observing the horses and cows, he had been intrigued by the greens, but it was sufficient to say wolves were meant to be carnivores. Still this did not keep him from playing the leaf catching game (or from tasting certain plants that seemed to strike his fancy). The leaf game was worth the horrid taste of chlorophyll, and he was excited to hear Addison knew of a certain tree where the game could be perhaps more exciting.

"Oh! Where is it? Will you take me there?"

[/html]
[html]
No problem <3333

It seemed as if she was playing it alright. She grinned, glad for that. It had been what felt like ages since Addison had been a pup, and she wasn't sure if she even knew how to play with puppies any more. She didn't get all excited about things any more (if she had ever), having turned into a much more serious and gruff adult.

He wished to know where the tree was. She bit her lip, unsure if she should say. Pripyat had some sense in him, though...he wouldn't go out there without anyone. Especially if she warned him. At least, this was what she hoped. "You can't tell Dad I told you. But it was just outside of Inferni, where the coyotes live. We're not supposed to go there, and it's real dangerous... I didn't know if I should say at first."

[/html]
[html]

The woman, his sister, seemed hesitant to tell the gray boy. The result of this was of course that Pripyat was anticipating the answer even more. His tiny heart beat with excitement as Addison finally landed on telling him where the tree was, and her answer revealed the reason she had thought twice about telling him. Inferni? Pripyat recognized the name of the clan but hadn’t inquired too deeply of them. Dangerous though. That sounded exciting. Yet Jefferson didn’t want them there… Pripyat heart’s sank. He had never willingly disobeyed Jefferson or Mother. Doing so had never even occurred to him as Pripyat had never wanted anything that they had denied him. Their existence together had been, from Pripyat’s young mind, nearly ideal.

The idea of going there occurred to him then, but he nodded solemnly at Addison, indicating that he of course wouldn’t dream of going there. That would be madness. Yet one question remained, and a rather important one at that. "Where is Inferni?"

[/html]
[html]

I'm sorry for the wait on this :[ I don't have constant internet on break, which blows. End soon?

She didn't see the harm in telling him where it was, as long as he knew the danger. He should know, anyway, so that he didn't accidentally go there and get hurt. She frowned, unsure of how to describe how to get there. She just knew the way herself, and had to think about how to describe it.

"Ummm. Well, it's northwest. If you know your directions. Go out of the territory to the north" Addison explained. She hoped that he would be safe if he did choose to go and that he would stay away from the territory if he did come across it.

[/html]
[html]
ENDED SSWM: 367

Pripyat's ocean eyes watched the face of his adoptive sister closely. He really knew her almost not at all, so he wasn't sure if she was going to tell him the location of the Inferni clan or not. Although, if she didn't, the boy knew he could find out one way or another. It would be harder and less convenient, but if he wanted to know the knowledge wasn't hidden or buried. It just had never directly been told to him, there had been no reason. And there was no reason now really, except his curiosity. And perhaps to tell him where not to go. After all, if he didn’t know where Inferni was, how could he avoid it? He might accidentally just show up on their doorstep.

Yet Pripyat didn't need to worry, because Addison knew and although she frowned it did not seem she frowned because she didn't wish to answer his question but because she didn't know how. Finally the words came and Pripyat recorded them mentally, knowing he wouldn't soon forget this new piece of knowledge. Northwest, but mostly north from her words it seemed. Pripyat nodded again, sucking in the information like a vacuum. What other information could Addison share for him? He had more questions about Inferni but it wouldn't be wise to keep asking, for her to know how interested he was. He didn't ask any more questions but he didn't know what to say either.

Thankfully he didn’t have to say anything, for a call sounded on the wind and it was meant for him. He was, at times, still being called back to the ranch for one reason or another. Laying his ears back, he bowed his head to Addison, knowing she too heard the call and knew what it meant for him. "I'm sorry, I need to get home." Turning he moved towards the ranch, his oversized paws thudding the soon to be frozen ground. Looking back he smiled at the girl, his young face pleasant and grateful, although his words did not match the source of his gratitude. "It was nice meeting you Addison. Thank you for catching leaves with me." And then he was gone.

[/html]