Taking Stock
[html]

OOC A little exploration in Thornbury. AW =D WC 382
3 + 5 = 8 points

The small woman stood in the middle of the deserted center, feet planted firmly upon the ground that at one time had been paved, but now was becoming more and more like the wild again as nature worked its magic and reclaimed this place for herself. Surrounding her were buildings in various stages of disrepair, most of which had only been inhabited by plant life and insects for decades, though as she turned slowly, her visual inspection of this region of Thornbury proffered a few buildings that appeared to be a little cleaned up. Doors and windows had been placed back on their hinges and brush has been cleared from the entryways – all signs of the emergence of the new pack into this old land. A small smile pulled at the corners of her mouth.

She narrowed her eyes as she peered past one of the structures that had been recently tended to. There was a patch of dirt, and beyond that more buildings that looked less like residences and more like old stores. She recognized places like these from the old Florida slums, or more recently, from Lunenburg in Dirty Mudbloods and Squibs. Nodding to herself, she tightened her thin fingers around the strap of the pack she wore slung over one shoulder, and made for the next street, heading for the old shopping district.

She crossed the space quickly and again drew herself to the center of the square, peering at the old, decaying remains of this town, and eyeing the weathered signs. There was one particular word or symbol she hoped to see as she scanned the old storefronts, but it seemed luck would not smile upon her today. If it was here, it’s sign was destroyed long ago, for there was no marker of a library or book store.

With a sigh, she dropped her pack to the ground. Who would bother her things here? They were pack, no one would take her stuff. Turning on her toes, she made for the first old store in the U-shaped center. There was no telling what had once been bartered inside from its decrepit exterior, so she began the task of clearing aside the vines and years of age, hoping she could free the doorway and take a peek inside.

<style type="text/css">
.orin_scroll .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:12px; padding-left:90px; color:#000000}
.orin_scroll .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:12px; padding-left:95px; color:#79341c}
.orin_scroll b {font-weight:bold; color:#a2630a; letter-spacing:1px; }
.orin_scroll {margin:0 auto; width:420px; background-image:url(http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/619/orinmid.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 1px 10px 0px 0px; font-family: cambria, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Shawchert had found himself visiting Thornbury more often, mostly because it was so populated by the members now, though he didn’t live inside the village limits itself. He had found a nice area in the forest that he took refuge in, though he made it known where he did live. Shawchert was enjoying the work he was doing, as he’d been one of the ones repairing houses here and there, and making them livable again. At least he did enough patch work for them to be lived in, and if anyone had any special requests he would be glad to work it out. Today he’d found his way to the shopping district where he could tell it would be quite a rough ride for him.

That was when he spotted Orin peeking through a window. He smiled to himself and sauntered up to the young woman keeping as quietly as he could, he had his hands behind his back as he walked, and he kept an eye just in case she actually did turn around, which she seemed enthralled in what she was doing.

Hello Orin, find something you like in there?

He was right next to her when he said this, sure she might have actually seen him beforehand due to his shadow smell, and of course presence. He did mean to surprise her a bit though, only to see her reaction, not to mention get a small laugh. He did try to catch a glimpse of what was inside the building that Orin was looking inside, but he could see nothing from where he stood.

<style type="text/css">
.shawshack .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#402a11}
.shawshack .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#402a11}
.shawshack b {font-weight:bold; color:#e3cf9d; letter-spacing:1px; }
.shawshack {margin:0 auto; width:350px; background-color:#ac7136; background-image:url(http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1238/table2top.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 223px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

3 points

“Aaaieeee!!!” Her eyes flew open and she screeched at the sound of the unanticipated voice. The woman had been so absorbed in what she was doing that she, once again, had lost all awareness of her surroundings. She was going about her task as silently as an elephant treading on a thorn bush, and was so focused on peering past the hazy, spider webbed glass that she failed to sense anyone else at all. And, let’s face it, she is pretty nose-blind as well. So her distraction, coupled with Shawchert’s stealth, led to a perfectly executed surprise on Shawchert’s behalf.

Leaping forward in fright, she banged herself up against the doorway that she had been clearing, and her force against the fragile, termite-troubled wood was enough to shatter the wood and send the girl toppling inside. When the dust cleared, Orin lay on her back halfway in the store, coughing amidst a heap of vine bits, broken boards, and dusty old cloth. She propped herself up on her elbows and sneezed.

When the filthy air cleared a bit, Shawchert’s silhouette came into view in the doorway and she immediately knew who this shadow belonged to. There was only one wolf she knew who could ever be that tall.

“Why do I always end up like this when you’re around? You’re like a bad luck charm.” She pretended to be perturbed, but it was obvious by her soot-streaked expression that she was only jesting. Dropping her palm, her slim fingers fell onto a clump of musty old cloth. Retrieving the item from the ground, she found it to be a small moth-eaten teddy bear, and playfully tossed it at Shawchert; penance for his deed. She tried to get up but found the task a little difficult, as entangled as she was in the vegetation and debris, so she held her hand out to Shawchert. “Save my life again, sweet prince, will you please?”

<style type="text/css">
.orin_scroll .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:12px; padding-left:90px; color:#000000}
.orin_scroll .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:12px; padding-left:95px; color:#79341c}
.orin_scroll b {font-weight:bold; color:#a2630a; letter-spacing:1px; }
.orin_scroll {margin:0 auto; width:420px; background-image:url(http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/619/orinmid.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 1px 10px 0px 0px; font-family: cambria, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

+3OOC: you should smack me a few hundred times for not replying to this >.>

it seemed that Shaw had scared her much more than he wanted to and she screamed and fell into the termite eaten door, which crumpled under her in an instant. Shaw’s heart stopped when he saw this happen, and he hurried over her, to see if she was alright, but he couldn’t help but laugh when he saw her position and then her comment, it was just too perfect.

First I am good luck then I am bad luck you need to pick out which one I am!

Shawchert said with a wide grin on his face, glad she didn’t hurt anything, upon her request, feeling shamed as she called him her prince, he pulled things off from around her and took her hand and let himself be her anchor to get up and pulled, with enough force to get her to her feet.

I really didn’t mean to scare you this badly, honesty I just thought you knew I was there. No hard feelings I hope?

Shawchert looked pleading at her with his deep blue eyes, hoping she would forgive him. He knew she would but he just wanted things to be final, and his curiousity of what this place was and why she seemed so interested hadn’t ebbed away as dust was still thick in the air inside the old store, but he reminded himself that he would find out soon enough. He had to make sure everything was just fine first. He made a mental note to replace the door later on when he had the chance, that wouldn’t be too hard for him to do, it would keep him quite busy for some time to come, and he knew just thinking about that one project that his whole summer was going to be busy, very busy.

<style type="text/css">
.shaw_flute .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#000000}
.shaw_flute .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#ad8f42}
.shaw_flute b {font-weight:bold; color:#a66bb9; letter-spacing:1px; }
.shaw_flute {margin:0 auto; width:386px; background-color:#fdf589; background-image:url(http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3093/shawbot.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 240px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

LOL I was just about to worry but I knew you had been sick and I didn’t want to pester you. (5 points)

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

When Shawchert took her hand, the eternally mischievous pup that lived inside Orin suddenly wished she had enough weight to yank him off balance and pull him to the ground with her, but she always had to use all of her force to dislodge Niro’s footing, so a sturdy wolf like Shawchert had no worries about being pulled down by a little thing like her. Too bad. When she was back on her feet she dusted herself off and took stock. No injuries, just a little dust on the fur, which was nothing to complain about in Orin’s book. She grinned at Shawchert, letting her leader off the hook.

“No harm, no foul. I falll a lot. Sometimes I just figure the ground misses me and pay it a visit. But,” she prodded his chest with a finger, boring scolding yellow eyes into his blue. “What’s a fearless leader like you doing sneaking up on a little girl like me, anyway?” She giggled, but her inquiry was only a joke so she didn’t wait for a response.

Orin spun around, turning her back on Shawchert and consequently whapping his knees with her tail. She faced the muted interior of the shop and took in all that was there, from each crooked shelf to the crumbling dry-wall. A beat passed, and then she frowned.

“Damn, this isn’t what I was hoping for,” she huffed and propped her hands up on her hips. The shelves were full of soft goods, things that had once been for the home; mostly shapeless bits of cloth folded here or there, or falling off of a shelf, or littering the floor. There was a chest that was overflowing with the sad remains of once jubilant stuffed animals, things that resembled the wildlife that flourished in the lands surrounding the town now. In one corner lay a warped sign that read ‘bedroom’ with pillows that had long ago been chewed, the innards pilfered by vermin. “This won’t do at all, I don’t even have a place for any of this even if it was still good.” There probably were several items packed away that might be of use to the pack, but for now, Orin saw no need to continue scouring this place.

“’Scuse me!” she chirped at Shawchert as she turned back to him, wedging her body between him and the doorframe as she slipped back out onto the street.

“Hey, I have an idea,” she said casually as she walked away, as though she expected Shawchert to just follow her. “Why don’t you repay me for that little scare by lending me a hand?” If he accompanied her he would see the toothy grin on her face. She had an agenda, and she planned to get it done quickly – employing her fearless leader would certainly make that possible. “I’m looking for a book store, library, something like that. Or if not a whole store, maybe one that would have had a book section. Do you know of anyplace like that here?”

<style type="text/css">
.cake-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#7fa0bd; letter-spacing:1px; }
.cake-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.cake-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.cake-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:317px; background-color:#f6f9f8; background-image:url(http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/972/souls40.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #8f4700; padding: 10px 0px 340px 0px; font-family: cambria, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#6f8611; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

+3

He was thankful that she wasn’t hurt as she had made sure herself that she wasn’t hurt, though being prodded made him stare at her astonished until he saw she was joking. And she didn’t even wait for his answer as she went to turn around. He quietly pocketed the old moth eaten bear in his pack. He’d never heard her swear before, but he rarely saw her that much right now, so it was strange to his ears, he heard the unhappy tone in her voice. He was about to ask what she was doing, but she turned and politely asked him to move which he obliged, his mouth still open to ask what was going on. But it seemed he didn’t have to ask at all as she turned back to him, when she said that he could lend him her hand, he smiled slyly and held out his hand for her,

At your service M’lady

He said, bowing a little, keeping his hand out, then thought… had he seen a place with a bunch of books in it? He had to think about it, but thought of nothing. He shook his head sadly.

I’m afraid that I haven’t found one from the cleaning I’ve done so far, so rest assured that leaves only the houses that haven’t been touched.

He admitted, he looked around thinking of where a book store could have been. It wasn’t easy, he didn’t know the way the humans thought, nor did he much care , the only thing he liked about them was their love for music, but they’d done enough things that had damaged the earth enough to last its lifetime. He spotted a small patch that looked like it might be what Orin was thinking about and started walking.

This way, maybe it’s this house?

<style type="text/css">
.shaw_flute .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#000000}
.shaw_flute .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#ad8f42}
.shaw_flute b {font-weight:bold; color:#a66bb9; letter-spacing:1px; }
.shaw_flute {margin:0 auto; width:386px; background-color:#fdf589; background-image:url(http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3093/shawbot.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 240px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Wow! It doesn’t feel like it’s been that long since my last post – got caught up in the holidays. Back to it! =) (3 points)

She tittered gaily at Shawchert’s little joke but did not reel from the proffered hand. Grinning, she slipped her own little fingers in his. “It’s mine, now!” she joked as she looked at their contrasting claws, small and white were hers, large and strong and a deep red were his. They completely clashed, and Orin kind of liked it.

When he spoke about the possibility of one of these places being a book store, she turned her gaze away from their hands and back to the Captain, her ears tipping back in a mixture of worry and disappointment. She gave a sweeping glance to the shops nearby, nodding in accord with Shawchert’s statement. “Yeah, and it looks like most of the rest of these places have been opened.” She sighed and bit her lower lip, working on it idly with a fang while she thought. Though she quickly stopped the little habit as Shawchert started to lead her off. Her ears perked up again and she was soon following almost beside him, for their fingers were still intertwined.

She grinned as they crossed the square. In the distance she could see a few more shops looming, and beyond that some houses that seemed to trail off into a row of housing – Orin had casually wandered by there earlier in the day. They were about to cross the last store and exit the old shopping district when she planted her footpaws, yanking back on Shawchert’s hand. “Hey, wait!” When she was happy that the large wolf was sufficiently subdued and that she would not be going for a drag, she turned her eyes onto the last store in the aisle and pointed to it. “Look there. That door is cracked open but there’s still vines in the way, like someone started but didn’t make it inside. Do you think you may have overlooked it?” She cocked her head, curious for just a moment, before she began to head toward the store, yanking on Shawchert’s hand to bring him with her.

<style type="text/css">
.orin-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#293412; letter-spacing:1px; }
.orin-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orin-a01{width:400px; background-color:#8F9674; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/orintable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 255px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3D3F29; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

+3 OOC: Sorry for the delay

Shawchert chuckled making no move to let her hand go, he knew she was a bit eccentric, but he liked that about her, it made her… interesting, wild, he doubted he could tame such a wolf. He obviously didn’t want to though. He liked the fire in her eyes as she teased him. He scanned the area at her comment. The rest of the area may have been opened but that didn’t mean any of them could not have been a library or book store could it? He wasn’t going to say anything just nodded, if he were to find one he’d be sure to let her know but it seemed she wanted him on this hunt right this second.

He walked making sure to go slowly, in case one of those open doors did have shelves of books in it and Orin would need to see. It seemed she caught a jewel as the small wolf seemed to pull the larger one’s arm out of socket as she stopped suddenly. He turned his head as she spoke, and looked at the shop she was pointing at, a smile creased his face.

it’s possible that this could have been overlooked.

She didn’t have to yank him as she moved, he was willing to walk anywhere at the moment, they made it to the house… well shop really, in no time flat. He used his free hand to easily pull the vines from the front door, but he made no other movement, obviously Orin wanted to be the first to enter. He’d let her have that privilege all to herself, he would be there as her support. The vines were clear now and all she had to do was cross the threshold, to discover what no other wolf had. To see what would undoubtedly be in this building, and hope it was what she was looking for, though he didn’t mind spending time with her, she was quite the adventurous type after all, but he didn’t want to try to find something that would take them hours just to find.

<style type="text/css">
.shawshack .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#402a11}
.shawshack .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#402a11}
.shawshack {margin:0 auto; width:350px; background-color:#ac7136; background-image:url(http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1238/table2top.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 223px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Muahaaaa!! Don't have time to proof read so sorry if there are some funktacular mistakes, must run to school. Enjoy the chaos! =D (3 points)

Something was wrong here! One of her senses screamed at her but Orin was famous for ignoring her nose. The excitement of exploration coursed through her veins and she was determined to trudge forth in the face of all odds. She sauntered up to the cracked door, peering into the shop. There were shadows inside, tall, long shadows that were distorted with cobwebs and dust. She narrowed her eyes – it was obvious these were shelves inside the store, but in this light and under that dust, they could have stored anything.

Orin placed a hand on the wooden door and pushed, and to her surprise the door swung free on its old hinges. So someone had been by here once and even went so far as to free the threshold and loosen the door hinge, but, judging by the undisturbed filth, it still did not look like anyone had entered this shop. Maybe whatever was inside held no value for whomever had crossed by before and they moved on without entering.

Gosh, what is that garlicky smell?

The woman took a step inside, feeling Shawchert’s presence behind her, her fingers still entwined within his. She was about to take another step forward when she hear a faint scratching noise. She gave Shawchert a puzzled look, and when she turned back around a little critter had appeared only a few feet away from her. It was a small little quadruped thing with a pointy nose, and it peered at them with little coal eyes. Orin beamed at the creature.

It wasn’t a cat, she had seen plenty of cats in Florida (though as a prime food source, the alley cat population was dwindling in the slums), this animal was too wide and stout to be a housecat. And it had fascinating markings! Long, deep, ebony fur with two stark white stripes running down the length of it’s back, ending at the tip of a long, flat tail.

“Aww,” Orin crooned and knelt down to the creature’s level, reaching a hand out to the little animal in an attempt to coax it over to her. “Aren’t you just soooo cute! Oh look Shawchert, books!” Momentarily distracted by the sighting of the hardbacks on the shelves, Orin failed to notice the creature as it began to swivel around and lift it’s tail. . .

<style type="text/css">
.orin-a01{width:400px; background-color:#8F9674; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/orintable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 255px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3D3F29; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

yaaay I posted!!

Shaw wasn’t able to get the smell till after Orin had spotted the animal and started talking to it, then his heart squeezed against his chest, he pulled on Orin’s arm not knowing exactly what was happening at that moment, but he could imagine. The animal would be turning and spraying in any second and he had to get Orin out of the shot, and he pulled on her hard, unfortunately the stench grew stronger as he fell onto the dirt road, with her on top of him, both of them… soaking in skunk scent.

oh well… I guess there’s an unwelcome resident here….

Shaw said, plugging his nose, a little, his eyes were watering and it felt like his taste buds were on fire, they had to get the stench off them … and fast…He didn’t get much of it, and knew he wouldn’t smell half as bad as Orin… but he was going to smell for a little bit in any case.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(3 points)

“Whaaaaa!” she cried some undecipherable word as Shawchert yanked on her arm. Before she knew what was happening she was wrenched off her feet and flying through the air. She cried out the whole time until she landed on top of Shawchert with an audible oof! She lay there dazed for a moment, almost nose-to-nose with her alpha, and then sat up straddling Shawchert’s stomach. Totally oblivious to the interesting position they were in, she glanced over her shoulder, sneezed, then turned back to Shawchert.

“What did you do that for? You scared it! Now look what happened!” She rubbed her nose as though she could rid the awful stench from it. The skunk’s spray was some kind of evil toxin, dominating her sense of smell and making her eyes tear up. She even thought she could taste it and grimaced. “That is foul... just foul!”

She leaned down and took a whiff of her fur then looked at Shawchert in horror. It looked like she was going to vomit right on him, though she managed to hold it in. She took a sniff of his fur too; she had received most of the blast, but Shawchert was pretty ripe himself. Wait... she took most of it?!

“I have to get this off of me!” Panic set in and she looked like she was about to cry. The only thing that kept her from hyperventilating was the fact that she did not want to breathe the air any more than she had to.

Leaping up, Orin made a bee-line for the nearest patch of foliage. It was the only thing she could think to do – horror had set in and she let instinct reign. Once she reached the brush, she dove into the bushes, scratching, rubbing, and rolling in the foliage, dirt, and snow - anything she could do to get the smell off.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

+3 OOC: RAWR

Oh I didn’t scare it, you’d have gotten more than that if I didn’t pull you away.

He said in his own defense, he knew the animal was already aiming for Orin when she’d opened the door and started talking. He was just glad it didn’t get in her eyes or mouth… things would have been pretty bad. He couldn’t help but having to agree with Orin’s statement.

Yes skunks are pretty smelly…

but she was off of him in seconds as she went looking for something to clean herself with. He watched as she ran into the bushes, and started rolling around and rubbing her body, though he knew it would not free her of the stench… unfortunately she’d smell for days, as he would… He got up slowly, and knew that the skunk could and would spray again he wanted to make sure it got out of there. Orin would be fine for now as he found a few tree limbs from the back and found his way in through a broken window, it’s possible route inside in the first place. Then he started snapping the limbs as he came closer to the room where it had been…. He hear it hissing and soon it toppled some stuff over before running from the house. Shawchert then moved to Orin, who was evitendly still trying to get the nasty horrible scented stuff off… and he felt bad, though his nostrils were feeling like they wanted to bleed as well, he had already known the effects of what skunk stench could do.

I’m afraid it won’t come off that way… just have to take… lots of baths.

He thought about bathing in such cold weather, but that was the only thing he could think of, he still wondered if the salt water would help get rid of the stench at all, but he wasn’t sure.

I scared it out, if you want to take a look in, see if that’s what you wanted… or sincei t was there it might not be the place for you as it smells as bad as we do.

He wasn’t about to tell Orin how funny looking she was as she rolled, now positively dirty…

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

3 points

For a moment she ignored Shawchert’s presence, continuing to give in to her canine instincts and try to rub and roll the scent out of her coat. All she was really doing was succeeding in making this patch a little smelly too, but the effect it had on her coat was minimal and to her sensitive nose it felt like there had been no change. Finally she stopped rolling and lay there on her back, staring straight up at the sky, “Why me?” It was meant to be mock grief, but she couldn’t disguise some of the sincerity that came through in her voice.

Finally her blank stare focused and she shifted her eyes to Shawchert. Her chest heaved with heavy breaths as she recovered from her sudden exertion, “Well... thanks, I guess.” She was still of the mind that the skunk sprayed because of Shawchert, but dropped the issue. Orin rolled over onto her stomach and stood up, pausing a moment to untangle one of her dreadlocks from a branch. Now she was wet and dusted with snow, streaked with dirt, twigs, and dead foliage, and she smelled bad. She held out her hands, looking at her muddy fingers, and shook her head.

“I guess the worst is over. Let’s go take a look,” the pep was coming back to her voice, and despite looking like some swamp-thing, she strolled off confidently towards the store once more. Though as she neared the doorway, she paused and glanced back at Shawchert. “Are you sure it’s gone?”

Maybe he was about to play some kind of dirty trick! After all, the store smelled just as bad as they did, and she had no way of knowing from scent if the animal had fled. “I don’t think so, I’m not going in first this time.” She skittered behind Shawchert and laid her hands flat on his back, pressing with all her weight (though that wasn’t very much) to shove him into the store first.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Shawchert couldn’t help feel bad even though it wasn’t his fault, she still blamed him, and it made him feel horrible as she cried out in utter unhappiness. Looking at her made it worse, she looked like like she’d crawled out of a mud bath.

You may be initiated into Ouija’s color club.

He said hoping a joke would ease her agony of being sprayed by a skunk. He had been too, but he was doing his best to ignore the smell on his own fur… he contemplated just running to the ocean and living there until it was all out of his fur.

Yes I’m sure it’s gone…

Before he got the time to explain what he did she went and pushed im, telling him she wasn’t going to be the first one in. he walked as she pushed at him, knowing that even though she was pushing him she wouldn’t be able to move him if he hadn’t allowed her. As they entered the shop again, he spread his arms wide,

See nothing here, now do you believe me?

He asked looking back at Orin, hoping she knew he felt bad that it happened in the first place… he wasn’t going to fight her that the animal was already going to do it if he moved her or not, but he was sure she’d have gotten it worse if he hadn’t moved, but he was just playing the guilty just so she’d at least be a little happier.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

5 points

Her fingers grasped the doorframe, knuckles tight, and she peered around the wall and into the bookstore at Shawchert. At first it did not look like she was going to come out from behind her shield, but after taking a moment to scan the shop she slipped out from her hiding place and gingerly stepped into the shop. After a minute she put her hands on her hips and nodded in approval. “Okay, good. Good job. Thank you.”

Another beat passed and Orin was alive again. Her face lit up as she took a good look around the shop. This was just the kind of place she was looking for! Her eyes widened as she peered at the shelves and beamed. “Look at it all! Isn’t it perfect?” Happily, she disappeared into a row of books, only to come out a moment later from behind another stack.

“It’s all in really good condition. Sure, they’re really dusty and a little ripe now, but I might be able to take care of that. Anyway, who cares, books are too valuable to throw out because of a little odor.” She looked at Shawchert as though awaiting confirmation, then turned back to the bookshelf. “Usually if you find an old library or a bookstore the buildings are so old that water has leaked in and molded the books, or they’ve been eaten by moths and rats... Sure, there are a few that are unusable here, but they’re mostly in pretty good condition.”

She grabbed a book off of the shelf at random. It was a hard cover, large in dimension but thin in pages. She blew the earth off of the dust jacket, sneezed, then giggled as she read the title. “Hey, look at this,” she held the book up to Shawchert. On the cover was a faded picture of a running wolf and the title read The Wolf Almanac.

Orin thumbed through the pages, more so skimming the photos rather than the text, and stopped on one particular photo of a wolf pack. She held it up again, “Look, it could be you.” She grinned; the wolf did bear a striking resemblance to Shawchert, though was missing his rusty highlights.

“I wonder if there’s anything we can learn about our history from books like this.” She thought for a moment, then set the book back on the shelf and wandered back into the open floor where her eyes were drawn to a staircase, which immediately had her inspecting the ceiling’s integrity, remembering the incident in the lighthouse.

“I’m curious to see what’s up here...” she muttered as she headed for the stairs. There were not nearly as many as the lighthouse, since this was a much more standard two-story building and did not serve as a life beacon for ships. The door at the top of the stairs swung freely, and she peered into the shuttered room. There was a desk, more shelves and books, and a file cabinet. “This would make a perfect bedroom!”

She turned and poked her head back out, bending over to see past the stairwell wall and appearing to be nearly upside-down at the top of the banister. “This place is perfect. Can I keep it?!”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

+5 OOC: <3 Big Grin

Shaw watched as Orin slowly and steadily moved from behind him… and as soon as she took a look around her whole demeanor changed and she started chattering away. He smiled, he wasn’t one for books himself, he read but not as much as he was sure that Orin or even Skye would. He walked in further following her as she started talking about how this place was perfect that everything was in such great condition, except for the strong scent of skunk all around them, and he hoped she wouldn’t’ blame him for that too but it seemed that she was content with everything that she didn’t even think of it.

Yes books have a bit more information than generations of story tellers.

He said softly, still hurting from her accusation, but he would not ruin her happiness on his account. He watched as she picked up a book at random and oddly enough it was one about wolves. He watched as she flipped through it. He was still quiet, but he was interested in what it had in it, he’d seen a picture of a wolf here or there, and then she held up a picture that could have been his own father… he did mention his great grandfather had been a part of a reserve, and he only learned that meant humans weren’t allowed to hunt there, as it seemed they use to hunt wolves, why a predator would do such a thing to another was confusing… unless it was for competition. It mattered little to him, he’d never gotten near any humans, and since their downfall, he doubted he would.

it would be interesting to see what the humans would have had to write about us.

He could tell her attention span at the moment didn’t last long as she put the book back, to find a staircase. He watched as she looked up calmly, it seemed she was looking at the roof, for what reason he had no idea, but he found she stated she wanted to go upstairs, and suddenly thought she would go pushing him up those stairs just in case another skunk wasn’t up there. But it seemed she’d forgotten about that and she started up herself, he waited down at the bottom of the stairs, though wondered if he should go up there, but when she spoke it seemed she was happy with her find.

well I think it’s previous occupant has run away, I don’t’ see why you can’t.

He said laughing a little, at both her excitement an his little joke about the skunk.

If you want I can fix the door and that window, maybe even make sure there’s no other entrances for that beast to come back, but I doubt it will.

He said, he wanted to make it up to her, that he didn’t want her to begrudge him, though it already seemed to pass by her, it hadn’t for him and he hated that he was to be blamed for something, even if he hadn’t done it though he still wouldn’t fight that part, he just wanted to make it up to her.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC Ending post, aye? (3 points)

“It’s mine? It’s really mine!” The ivory woman that was now mottled in an array of earthen colors ran down a couple stairs and beamed at Shawchert. He said it, there was no going back – this place was her’s! She had been excited and proud of the lighthouse that she briefly claimed as her home back in Cour des Miracles, but this place was even more of a dream. The lighthouse had been beautiful and romantic, if not a little run down like most old structures, but this place was full of books and storage space for new once! And it would take her at least... oh, at least a week to get through the entire stock here! Okay, if she stuck to her other pack duties and did not become a hermit like she had in the past, this hoard was going to last her a while.

“That would be spectacular!” In one fluid motion she leaped off of her perch halfway down the staircase, her arms outstretched, and like a pro, she collided into Shawchert and wrapped her arms and tail around him in a firm, joyful embrace.

“Can we start working on it tomorrow? I know a little. . .” she pinched her fingers together to punctuate her point, “. . . about carpentry from the lighthouse I was fixing up to live in back in Cour des Miracles. Oh, and look, over there, that wall would be perfect for someone to paint a mural. And that archway looks like it leads to a stock room, I bet there’s all kinds of supplies. Of course, anyone in the pack would be welcome to come in any time and borrow a book or sit down and read. Hmm, I think I will put some furniture there in case people want to take a load off. Oh, do you know how to mix mortar? I bet we could build a fireplace right there!” Still hugging Shawchert, she went on and on about her plans for the place and how great it would be. Somehow, she just knew she would get that pungent odor out, and that this would be a nice little haven for herself and the pack. The plans percolated – she had so many ideas, and to her, all of them were pure genius.

This little old bookstore was going to be grand.

“Ha-ha-ha! But right now, we both need a bath.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]